Author Topic: Character Modification... Where to start.  (Read 7824 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Character Modification... Where to start.
« on: 2008-06-23 20:29:25 »
*Sigh*.... I hope this doesn't irritate anyone too much.

I've been browsing these forums looking for a guide on how to Screw about with some of the 3d models in Final Fantasy 7. I'm basically looking to grab some models from maybe Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (which I own), because I realise that the artists on here that are able to implement these in-game aren't able to release them due to legality.

However, I know NOTHING about 3d modelling. I'm a really fast learner and can learn while I'm going along and fiddling about, its how I improve on most things. I'm just wondering if someone could very swiftly post a few links and tell me EXACTLY what I'll need to do these things, what I'll need to read up on and what programs to download to be able to do some character/weapon mods.

If I manage to teach myself enough I'd also like to lend a hand to finishing some of the models from the NPC-RP or PRP.

I have some spare time in the coming weeks, so I thought now would be a good time to learn some new skills ^_^

Prince Lex

• View Profile
Re: Character Modification... Where to start.
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-23 22:09:41 »
Thanks for that! Don't know why I couldn't find that before. I'll start learning some stuff tomorrow... I know that if I start now I won't be able to stop which doesn't bode well for me getting up in time for work in the morning ^_^

SephirothClone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-23 22:20:33 »
Prince do u know how to to replace 2 other sprites with others. Trying to get make it so I can have Zack, Cloud, and Sephiroth. I know it has to do with renaming their files or something :(

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-23 22:49:05 »
As I said in my first post, I don't know much about modding characters at all, but I'm going to learn.

Although what I do know is that to be able to do what you're asking, you'd have to create a new character slot for Zack, and I just don't think thats possible. I think you can use the Jenova save editor to add Sephiroth to your party, but adding Zack's a different story, because with the Zack mod he replaces Cloud as the main character.

You can't just swap the models and expect it to make sense,  because to add Zack to the party he'd have to replace someone else so that the game didn't crash, and if you swapped him with say, Vincent, it would be Zack with all of Vincent's animation, dialogue and weapons etc.

I suppose to get Zack you could use Jenova to put Young Cloud into your party and then swap the models for Zack and young cloud IN THEORY. But any time there was dialogue the game (I assume) would crash.

SephirothClone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-23 23:27:02 »
there was a mod made a few yrs back that replaced Cait Sith with Zack.

Genesis

• Even if the morrow is barren of promises Nothing s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-24 08:30:29 »
really? that would be sweet!

do you know where you can still get this?

sorry, I CAN'T STAND CAIT SITH AT ALL!!

SephirothClone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-24 08:44:03 »
The link that replaced Cait Sith is completely dead. Ashame too!

Genesis

• Even if the morrow is barren of promises Nothing s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-24 08:51:12 »
damn

wish it was still about, make the game better if i didnt have to put up with cait sith, its the worse character IMO (followed closely by yuffie)

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-24 13:36:59 »
The link that replaced Cait Sith is completely dead. Ashame too!

That would be a really good mod. If anyone else knows where to get this, could they post it?

bboystrife

« Reply #10 on: 2008-07-14 06:25:04 »
Yo Prince. i'm i'm a beginner to this modelling too. and this forum for that fact. was just wonderin if we could maybe help each other? might be easier if we learn together? i need to know where to start, i wanna be able to convert some of the koh2 models into ff7 pc version, if anyone can help point me in the right direction then that wld be great. peace Strife. 8-)

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-07-14 07:47:13 »
You know I'm starting to think I may have created a monster on the forum...

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-07-14 11:32:46 »
As I said in my first post, I don't know much about modding characters at all, but I'm going to learn.
 you'd have to create a new character slot for Zack, and I just don't think thats possible.

Sorry if this is late but you dont have to create a new slot for him, just use the one for the chocobo. If you add a model and animation to load, then it's fine. You remember a few weeks ago when i added Jessie to the team? Well that's how i did it. He will have Cloud's stats and stuff but wont load  data when it comes to battles though, there will be nothing in the space and he will just die. But still it's a bit of an achievement.