Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII Demo Footage  (Read 7850 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIII Demo Footage
« on: 2009-04-19 15:32:45 »
The demo version of Final Fantasy XIII that is being released with ACC has arrived.

For anyone thats interested, the first 40 Minutes of Final Fantasy XIII can be downloaded in high quality for your viewing pleasure here:-

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7707_en.html

I've just finished watching it and I'm not entirely sure what to think. I think it looks great but I'm anxious for a version of this to be uploaded with English Subtitles because I can't understand a word of Japanese. The storyline LOOKS interesting though. I can't wait to own this one ^_^

Need to buy a PS3 first right enough...

koral

Re: Final Fantasy XIII Demo Footage
« Reply #1 on: 2009-04-20 00:00:10 »
I pre-ordered mine a while back, and it was posted off yesterday, I cant wait for it to arrive!  >_<
There should be translations available on the net, although it will probably be tricky to read, watch and play simultaneously  :-P

There is Agito for the PSP too, not to mention the 360.
Damn SE and their marketing department for making things so awkward for us  :x

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-04-20 09:17:31 »
I think it looks great  (...) The storyline LOOKS interesting though.
yeah the keyword "looks" is important here.

ff13 seems more like arcade game, than rpg. the battles are great visually, but it pretty much sucks that there is little to none improvement outside of them.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-04-23 01:21:27 »
I don't know...

The battles seem like a bit of a cross between FFX and FFXII to me. I'm reserving judgement until I can see more of it. In about another 5 years probably! They announced FFXIII in 2006 and it's taken them this long to come up with a demo. Pfft. Post a small review when you've played through for yourself Koral, if you can!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-05-01 12:48:31 »
Well, 13 is the last chance for me.

X-2 was an awful exploitation of X and XII used a different creating team, and the result was a dull, useless "storyline"  in XII

Graphics seem to have infested a lot of games recently at the detriment to gameplay and story.  MGS4, Command and conquer recent games, resident evil 4 and 5 to name some which I hated.

koral

« Reply #5 on: 2009-05-05 14:30:33 »
How could you hate MGS4?! :?

Never mind, I have more interesting things to talk about: The Final Fantasy XIII Demo!!!

I got it through post last week, but I only managed to play it today, and IMO it is as awesome as it gets.
The true successor to Final Fantasy X (11 cant be counted, and 12 was... lame)

First off, the packaging:
It came in a double cd/dvd-sized sleeve casing, and inside were the two crystal cd-cases for each disk (FFAC, one for the demo), each with their own mini-booklet.
Up until I saw the beautifully printed cd's (bluerays) I had my doubts, but seeing the XIII one put me into a fever to play it pronto.

So that is what I did... and it almost gave me a heart attack! :lol:

My PS3 is setup on a 52" plasma with HDMI cable and surround-sound, so usually I can see clearly the level of detail different game-companies tend to put into their games.

I was not expecting the opening movie sequence to almost bring tears to my eyes, honestly, the attention to detail was sublime and so awe-inspiring, amazingly detailed 3d models and effects, the entire scene looked as though it could be onto a cinema-screen and still you would feel that there were more details under each pixel

The music felt very reminiscent of FFX, a mellow primary theme, and the faster bass orientated music in-game.
I dont know if Uematsu has any part in this game (he retired from FF didn't he?) but the music in FF13 feels spot-on so far. Nothing overly jarring (like in Crises-Core) nor of sub-par quality (FF12).

And once I started playing, there was a long string of CG-sequences. But I wasn't bored. They were all so awesome, as much as I couldn't wait to get started, I wanted to see more!

That's when things became a little tricky.
You first get to play in the middle of a "boss" battle of sorts (a scorpian type mecha!), and I didn't know Japanese very well so I had to take guesses and see what each action did.

The new battle system is a little annoying actually. They seem to have gone back to the old ATB (FF7-FF9) route, with the time-guage building up, but now you have three slots into which you can select actions to perform.
For quick actions, you select a 1-slot item then hit triangle, and as long as the ATB guage is above one-slot, the character would perform that action.
There were various 1-slot actions, and it seemed as though different combos and attack patterns were possible by selecting them in different orders.
Curing also worked the same way. For a quck Cure, you just select a single Cure-command and execute it as soon as the ATB-guage goes over one slot. Combine three Cure-commands and pressing triangle when the ATB-guage gets Cures the character THREE times.

Well, maybe its not that annoying, and only the language barrier made things a little awkward.
There were no "after-battle posing", instead a screen showing the time taken to dispatch the enemies with a 5-star ranking system. I couldn't understand the other information it showed though, but there was a pattern where the higher star-ratings (4,5) gave 1 or 2 "items" wheras lower star (1,2) would give nothing.

It is surely a new innovative system though, and I cant wait to see how levelling up will work (there was no Menu option in the demo at all).

When not in battle, the camera stays behind the character, similar to FF12, but with less control.
The maps reminded me of FFX, linear and one-way. Maybe it was just the restrictions placed on this first area (in all FFs after 4, the first areas are always linear).

"Treasure-chests" are floating orbs of some technological history, quite a break from tradition IMO. I had absolutely no idea what it was until I got near and it said "Treasure Chest" in english.
Around the maps are circular glowing rings on the floor, and as you go near it the character "jumps" over obstacles etc automatically.

And I wasn't able to talk to anyone explicitly, like in the older FF's you would go upto some NPC and hit the action-button and the NPC would start talking. The character would just start talking out loud, maybe you would hear the NPC saying something back, but no longer are you "stuck" whilst they communicate, and can now move around.
Maybe theses were a special kind of NPC though, because of the situation and what was going on.

And now the most important of my experiences: the characters, setting and story

One word can describe it better than any: Depth.

Immedietly you can notice the stark contrast between the outside world (natural, almost prehistoric and undisturbed by humans) and the inside of the City (technology overflowing, a City which has been around for a very long time).
And inside the City, there are ships flying around, bridges spanning endlessly in all directions, yet war-torn with a civil-war waging on. There is an immediete sense of history, that this technologically advanced place has been around for so long, that unrest within the populous is just another trivial event.

Then the parallels with FF7:
A cold, blond haired hero(ine) (with a sword), a chatty dark-skinned sidekick (with guns), getting off trains, dealing with scorpian mech bosses.
It isn't starkly obvious though, but any FF7-fan would realise the similarity with a slight pang of nostalgia (sigh).

What I dont understand is the fascination Japanese people have with black-guys and small yellow chicks?!  :|
There was SNK's Duck character, recently Bruce-Irvin's new Tekken-6 special move, and now this new guy in FF13.
Peculiar.  :lol:

Lighting's walk was a little too feminine for the situation, but hey, the game must appeal to the male audience in some other way too, right?
I believe she is generally quite feminine though, a fearless woman with a strong will, very much in the mould of Ashe or FFX-2 Yuna, but carrying a burden of secrets (much like Auron).

Snow is actually quite cool IMO, as open and friendly as they come (Wakka, Tidus, Zack) yet with none of their air-headedness. Fights with his fists, and doesnt babble.
The other characters who help him were unique and quite cool as well, but they didn't have HP values during battles so they are probably just "guests" who we wont get to see much of in the full game.

And then there is that mysterious red-haired girl (Vanille?), who puts the icing on the cake.
During the openging CG, we see her as a mature young woman, apparantly narrating the first and last lines of the entire demo.
But I swear she was also present in Snow's play-event, as a little girl who he accepts a gun from him.

If that truly is the same girl, then we can assume that the time-scale of this game will be quite large too, spanning over two generations. What happens to Lightining, Snow and Sazh, I dont know, but they will probably find a way around it (there is VersusXIII to add to the mystery too!)
Maybe parallelling FFX (the story of Auron, Braska and Jecht was a sgnificant factor of the current generation's events) or FF8 (Laguna and his story, the events leading from Squalls childhood through to the primary story arc). Or offcourse FF7 too.

All in all, this demo does what it sets out to do.
It proves that the Final Fantasy series is still a hallmark of video-games.
It is a *huge* leap forward from FF12, and will lead the way for even better (and sooner released) Final Fantasy games, thanks to the new game engine.

I can happily wait another year (or two) for the full game to finally come out (in its English perfection) now that I have seen what it promises.
This may very well become one of the best in the series.
Perhaps not as good as FF7 or FFX, but promises to be MUCH more than FF12 could ever be.

My money is on Final Fantasy XIV(14) now though.
The numerical significance of the number, along with the stable technological base for the developers, can only mean that the next title in the series will pull no punches to perfect the franchise and deliver the greatest Final Fantasy experience since FF7.

:-D
(whew)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-05-05 14:54:05 »
how could I hate MGS4?

Here , find out>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57020515#post57020515

:-D  bare in mind I was very frustrated when I wrote that.  I would edit it into a more professional looking review now but I can't.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-05 14:56:55 by Seifer Almasy »

koral

« Reply #7 on: 2009-05-05 23:50:15 »
wow, you are a games developer too? Interesting  :-D
I really have no objections to your claims about MGS4, as they say: to each his own

But it was a fascinating read, although I must object to your reference to FF6 for "Game Fanboys".
You simply cannot compare FF6 to later FF's because its like comparing chess to badminton: they are of completely different media, having been created with completely different limitations.
FF6 stands out as the best 2D (sprite-based) game in the primary series, for which it is worthy of the title.

You may call me a "Game-fanboy", but it was the music generally and Celes' Opera scene which really made it stand out for me. :lol:

I had a look at the videos uploaded by DjMizuhara (at the gamersyde site) and IMO they dont do the real thing justice.  :|
I dont know if it is because of the smaller size of my computer screen, or if it was some technical issue with DjMizuhara's recording setup, but the intro video (and the Versus trailer) when played on the PS3 almost felt as though it were realtime, using the RSX graphics chip somehow, but these videos (although still of HD resolution) just dont give the same kind of "depth" effect.

At first I thought it was all realtime, but then when the first battle started I noticed how suddenly there appeared to be less detail all around, and slight occurances of lag at some places.
It may not be perfect yet, but we can forgive them for now, as it was a December 2008 build (or so I have heard).
Surely they will fix these niggles in due course (*fingers crossed*).

Having played the demo a couple of times now, and watched the Versus trailer numerous times too, the game is really beginning to grow on me.  :-P

Versus is being directed by Nomura (XIII is directed by Toriyama) so it has a different sort of feel to it, a certain edge, a greater "cool factor".
We will have to wait and see what the gameplay will be like, but for now, I am looking forward to seeing more of Versus-13 and its characters.

I only hope I dont get bored to death of this demo before the games finally does get released. That would be tragic  :lol:

BTW, has anyone else here played the demo?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-05-07 17:54:30 »
well, I make simple 2d games and I am nowhere near on the league of people here :)  self taught and a hobbiest.

The people here are the real deal

koral

« Reply #9 on: 2009-05-07 23:40:53 »
self taught and a hobbiest.

Me too!  :-D
Except I am actually trying to go "commercial" with my projects and make my own career out of it.
Guys like MrAdults really are out of our league, the true "real deal" developers.

But you do have a lot of game-dev sense, and aren't frightened to critique and think out-of-the-box.
So keep going and dont give up.

Our dreams are only as far away from us as we are hesitant to step towards them  :-D

MrAdults

« Reply #10 on: 2009-05-08 20:26:52 »
I'm a self-taught hobbiest too, I just happen to have worked on a bunch of commercial stuff. ;)

I haven't played the FFXIII demo, and have only seen some low-quality demo footage. I'm trying to give as little away to myself about the game as possible, so once I get to sit down and play it, it's all fresh and unexpected.

It looks great from what I've seen, and I also noticed those throwbacks to previous FF's, especially FF7. I was quite a fan of the battle mechanics in FF12, personally, though. It played a bit more like a point-and-click RPG, but the extra freedom in battle and added control over enemy encounters was a welcome change for me. Then again, FF10 was also really great in its own way, and I spent dozens of hours playing it and finding ways to barely come out of the crazy higher-end monster arena battles alive. But I did prefer the somewhat more free-form approach to combat in 12. I haven't been able to discern a lot about how 13's combat works, due to only seeing it in a video and not being able to fluently read Japanese, but I've been suspecting it would turn out to be more of a strategic middle ground between the approaches in 10 and 12.

Wasn't Duck a white dude? He was just very into hip-hop, I think. Or maybe it depended on the version of Fatal Fury/KoF and/or the palette choice. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-05-09 21:48:45 »
I thought 12's battle mechanics were down right lazy.  They had basically told the player to become the programmer with those gambits....

It was dire....

MrAdults

« Reply #12 on: 2009-05-10 01:14:13 »
In contrast, how many times in FF games have you ended up just trying to get through an area while mindlessly holding down the "action" button every time you hit a battle? For me, that's happened for some reasonably lengthy period in just about every FF up to 12, because you keep getting stuck in random encounters, and the battles present no challenge (even if you've made no effort to level up), so you're just telling everyone to attack over and over again. I'm quite thankful for a system that allows me to intelligently set up my characters' auto-actions, and the depth of that system was far, far from "lazy". :) FF12's gambits were also 100% optional. It just didn't make sense to keep entering the same set of commands when you had an alternative. There are some things to critisize about gambits, but calling them a lazy developer solution is just way off the money.

koral

« Reply #13 on: 2009-05-10 21:39:58 »
Duck is a mystery apparantly: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=665554
but I am a huge fan of KOF-11, and I took him for how I saw him there  :-P

Anyway, FF12

It was an innovative battle-system, and kudos to SE of trying add some depth to what would otherwise have been just a simple system.
Different people have different opinions, that is the risk which SE consistantly take with each new FF.

I used to hate the FFX sphere-grid system initially. "Why cant the characters level-up automatically?" I would constantly ask myself each time I got SPs and had to enter the menu after a battle.
It wasn't until my second play-through that I realised just how versatile it was. It allows players to customise their characters quite intricatly, at the expense of annoying first-time players unfortunatly.

The same holds true for FF12's gambit system too. It may seem like a "lazy" option, but it really is a welcome feature when playing the game for long hours.
I personally like the FF7-ATB and FF10-Strategic Listed battle mechanics the best. I didn't have anything against FF12's Open-Play battles, but battles just didn't feel the same in the traditional sense.

But I am really excited about Versus-XIII!!!  :-D

The more times I watch the new trailer, the more little things I notice which increase my desire for the game.
Versus seems to exude the sense of Shakespearian epicness, having shades of Romeo+Juliet (movie) with the twist that Juliet is actively up against her Romeo.
Heartbreaking agony, yet adrenaline-pumping storyline. Nothing less from SE (and Nomura)

Stella is extremely pretty, my favourite already :lol:

But Noctis' buddies (as well as the astounding aweness of the guy himself) are extremely likeable.

My favourite is "Shotgun Guy" right now, a different take on the always-cheery-hyper-girl character (Yuffie, Rikku, Selphie, etc)
http://finalfantasyversusxiii.net/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/characters.php

And a note to point out.

Gamersyde's videos are NOT the truest experience of the awesomeness of the FF-13 demo!!!

The demo is capable of 1080p mode (and is how I play it on my setup) but those videos were captured at 720p!!

Here is a link to an article talking more about it: http://www.ff-xiii.net/index.php?page=news&p=more&numb=376

And on that note, confirmed changes that have been made to the game since the demo:

- Battle difficulty will be greatly increased. In fact, Toriyama expects XIII to be "the most difficult FF ever".

- In the demo, party members are CPU controlled. In the final, you'll be able to issue them directives.

- Continuing your "Chain" in the demo isn't very important in the demo, but will vital in the final.

- The classic FF victory fanfare isn't present in the demo, but will be in the final.

- Victory poses may be incorporated into the final; the matter is currently under consideration.

- If the first hit of a chain kills an enemy in the demo, your character continues attacking air for the duration of the combo. This will be remedied in the final.

- Snow is barehanded in the demo, but will have weapons available to him in the final.

- Encounters occur solely from the front in the demo, but various encounter styles will be present in the final.

- The final will have a level system.

- The demo only allows you to control one character, but the final will have a new system for managing other party members in battle.

- The final will have command shortcuts.

- Selecting your target in the demo can be a bit of a chore; the final will have a more streamlined targeting mechanism.

- The final will have an "item" command in battle.

- NPC dialogue will be subtitled in the final. In the demo, there is only voice.

- Sazh's rather bizarre battle animation will be altered to be less strange, and more "jolly".

- The Time Gauge maxes out at 3 in the demo, but you'll be able to add more segments in the final through a new character growth system.

- Summons will be present in the final. The mysterious "TP Bonus" that appears after battles in the demo relates to them.

- Finally, the occasional frame rate drops in the demo will be fixed, according to Toriyama.

source: http://www.ff-xiii.net/index.php?page=news&p=more&numb=374

The first is the most interesting. "Most difficult FF ever"?

Sounds fun

MrAdults

« Reply #14 on: 2009-05-11 05:44:08 »
Hahaha, for some reason I find it quite hilarious that there is actually a thread devoted to Duck's race. The reason may be related to my level of innebriation. :)

Funny you should mention hating the sphere system initially - so did I. I played through it again some number of years later, and fell in love with the whole game on my second playthrough. You are spot on about the sacrifice they made. A shame that most of the game's players will never see the real beauty behind it, but the choices they made there are quite admirable.

Does FF13 really, truly run at 1080p? Not just rendering at 720p (or even lower) and being upscaled? If so, that is damn impressive, given the fillrate capabilities of the PS3's GPU. I guess what they do doesn't seem too multi-pass-intensive from the bits I've seen, but still, very impressive.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-05-12 00:32:00 »
Well it depends how you define difficult.

XII wasn't difficult in the sense that you just needed to level up and let the gambits do all the work and in the sense they had just given stupid amounts of HP to the monster

X was difficult in the sense you had to do a lot of quests and levelling up of sphere grid.  Loads of tasks that appealed to skill and then fight the dark aeons and penance.

So if the game is harder because of cheap dynamics....then it is a poor game

But if the AI is good, side quests tough and skillful and there is a level of skill and brains involved, then that is what I want to see/.

MrAdults

« Reply #16 on: 2009-05-12 22:14:29 »
Well it depends how you define difficult.

XII wasn't difficult in the sense that you just needed to level up and let the gambits do all the work and in the sense they had just given stupid amounts of HP to the monster

X was difficult in the sense you had to do a lot of quests and levelling up of sphere grid.  Loads of tasks that appealed to skill and then fight the dark aeons and penance.

So if the game is harder because of cheap dynamics....then it is a poor game

But if the AI is good, side quests tough and skillful and there is a level of skill and brains involved, then that is what I want to see/.
Difficultly can be defined in many ways, but a distinct lack of difficulty is present in any scenario that involves no thought and repetitive selection of the same menu option repeatedly. :) When you find yourself in such a scenario without even bothering to level grind, something has gone wrong in game balancing. Since this usually can't be avoided (given all the variety in paths and scenarios a player can take in any given FF), providing gambits as a bandage for what is otherwise strictly tedium is quite an excellent solution.

On the note of difficulty, anything becomes "easy" with needless level grinding, which is why I'm quite against unnecessary grinding in most FF games, especially in 12. It completely destroys any sense of challenge or gameplay. I have a friend who did that in 12, and he was like "Yeah my guys are all level 99 this game is way too easy" and I just had to ask, "Dude, you ruined the game for yourself! Why?". He replied "I still think it's fun". Which cuts straight to the point - some people like challenge, some don't - but just about no one likes tedium, as in a distinct lack of challenge with no involved action (the "repeatedly selecting attack" scenario). FF12's system does a good job at addressing all of those points simultaneously in a way I could only describe as pretty innovative, considering the constraints you face in a mass-market game in trying to appease absolutely everyone. You would be incredibly hard pressed to do better - not by your own standards, but by everyone's.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-05-13 02:18:07 »
My god. I must be the only teenager on here. Keep in mind though that I started FF7 at a young age and love it to death, but I tried to get into programming and editing and modding and all that, but no way. I see now that most of you guys went to school for this sort of thing. 8-)

koral

« Reply #18 on: 2009-05-13 23:36:05 »
um, guitar_dudester91, wrong topic?   :-P

Seifer
I am not sure why you suddenly wanted to define "difficult" but I can understand where you are coming from.
We are going really OT here, but whatever (I like discussing these things) :lol:

In DOA4, Tecmo chose to make the game "difficult" by simply not having an "easy" mode, only "normal" and "hard", all the older DOA's had "easy" and "easiest" modes.
It may not sound relevant, but it is the best example I can think of where the developers really were lazy and used a cheap trick to make the game more "difficult".

RPG's in general (particularly J-RPG's, heck, particularly FF's) can only truly set the game's "difficulty" based on relative character stats and numbers, not absolute values.
So just because monsters have insanely high HP's doesn't make the game more "difficult", it simply tries to set a standard on what it expects player's characters' levels to be at that point in time (akin to what MrAdults just said above).

But I am sure we all agree though, the most "difficult" battles in RPGs should be (and usually are) also the most fun.
Not because of the insane relative differences in stats or HP, but because the player has to use their brains and not just keep hitting the "attack" button or command. Battles involving lots of status effects or mega damage attacks usually.

The best example is the secret-uber-bosses you can fight which bear no relation to the actual game storyline. The ones usually requiring characters to be on the brink of maxed out stats.

The Weapons, Omegas and the Ragu-O-Raglas (from Wild Arms series, boy that guy is annoying). 

'nuff said

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-05-16 20:46:01 »
There are more ways of a game being difficult than high HP amounts.  There are side quests which when completed, give you extra weapons or magics in order that you can defeat tougher opponents.  There are puzzles which are mentally challenging and are far harder to design than slapping numbers onto a monster database.

Then there is the AI of a monster or a system.  That i what I like to see....not just slapping HP onto things and saying "wow this is such a difficult game"

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-05-17 16:27:46 »
and XII used a different creating team, and the result was a dull, useless "storyline"  in XII
hate to steal the topic, but i feel similar. ff12 felt desperately rushed, and unfinished.i was expecting at least 3x more storyline from this game.

i hated how vaan didn't really remember anything about reks (just one retrospection), or how little background was given to each of the characters. also the licence board takes way too fast to fill, ruining the game. most locations are only meant to be passed by and serve no real meaning. and the random nature of treasure chests makes the game a pain.

ffxii feels like two games slapped into one. i absolutely love the way the game starts, and plays somewhere towards the halfway in the storyline. and then it suddenly goes wrong with the game - characters development gets ditched, storyline gets weaker, game gets boring. i'm guessing that somehere before that point Matsuno left the team and other people took over :/

in general i expected way more content from this game. the graphics alone, although impressive, fail to save the game.

coming back to the subject, i just hope all that space that bluray disk has to offer, won't be wasted on just shiny new fx, and there will be some decent storyline. what happened to the company that could make an impressive game, and fit it into ~3mb cardridge? (snes times)
« Last Edit: 2009-05-17 16:30:53 by yoshi314 »