Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1251604 times)

Kalkano

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2275 on: 2013-10-27 18:56:03 »
Took me a while, but I finally got registered.   ;)    (Thanks to EQ2Alyza, for her help)

I've been lurking for a while.  I've been replaying the whole main series, recently.  And, I've stopped after 6, to wait for this.  I really look forward to seeing the whole picture, the way it was meant to be seen.  Thanks for all the hard work!

One of my questions has already been answered (ballpark release time frame).  I did have one other thing I wanted to mention, though.  The flashback to Tifa falling off the cliff is something that always stood out as a mistranslation.  But, your changes keep what I thought was mistranslated.

‘Back then,I only grazed
  my knees,but…’

Why is "Back then" at the beginning.  It sounds really weird.  It makes it sound like there's some kind of comparison taking place.  Like, "Back then, I only grazed my knees, but this time, I didn't."  The comparison is really between him grazing his knees, and Tifa's injury being more serious, right?

Maybe it's reemphasizing that this is a flashback.  But everything he's talking about is a flashback, and it seems out of place.

Thoughts?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: 2013-10-27 18:59:35 »
It is Cloud talking to himself (the real cloud trying to get through the lies and fake persona).  He says "back then" a number of times in FF7.  It's part of the story.  The use of "back then" makes it clear to the audience who is speaking (later on) and serves a purpose in the plot as well.  Also, "Back then" is perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with when talking about an event that happened in your past.

Cloud doesn't know who it is talking to him.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-27 19:10:36 by DLPB »

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: 2013-10-27 21:49:19 »
Oh, ok.  That makes a little more sense.  I always thought he was talking to Tifa.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: 2013-10-27 23:00:40 »
In the first 2 times it is used (and perhaps more) he is talking to himself when unconscious (very likely because that's the only time his real self can get through).  Once when unconscious after the fall through the church roof and the other while asleep in Junon.  The actual bridge scene is still his concsciousness except this time in the Lifestream.

The use of "back then" is important because it ties all usages of the phrase with his past, especially the bridge scene.

Back then is always Cloud's past at Niblheim 5 years ago, or the water tower 7 years ago, or as children.  I must admit to deliberately hammering this point home, I had a good think about it at the time.

{GRAY}‘Back then you got away with it.
 Only grazed your knees…’

{CLOUD}
“Back then?”

#cy 96
{GRAY}‘Back then…
  When you went to Mt. Nibl.
  {TIFA} was your guide,right?’
------------------------------
#cy 96
“Yeah,
  that surprised me.”

#cy 96
{GRAY}‘A proper bed like this.
…It's been a while,hasn't it?’{GRAY}
#cy 96
{CLOUD}
“Yeah,I guess.”
#cy 96
{GRAY}‘Since back then?’{GRAY}

{CLOUD}
“Back then…
  I definitely played this piano.
  But why hasn't it burned?”

#xy 16 201
{TIFA}
“Look,the village water tower.”{NEW}
“Do you remember?”
#xy 200 201
{CLOUD}
“Yeah… back then.”

{TIFA}
“Yeah,and that's right too.
  You were pretty short back then.”
{TIFA}
“And cute.”

‘We both…
  fell off the cliff.’
‘Back then,I only grazed
  my knees,but…’

{TIFA}
“Me? Why!?”
“{TIFA},have you… forgotten
  what happened back then?”

« Last Edit: 2013-10-27 23:13:24 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2279 on: 2013-11-05 19:42:35 »
Hello, DLPB. I'm trying to retranslate FF7 for the PSX version, and I'd like to ask you a question. Do you have the game's texts in Japanese (the Kernel texts, more specifically)? Or at least the Japanese table files (katakana, hiragana, kanji)?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: 2013-11-05 22:06:35 »
Yes, they've been ripped by Luksy using touphScript.  The non dialogue from Kernel hasn't been though.  You may get some help from our document here (or send him a PM and request the others):

Field: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36889302/FF7/Japanese_text.7z

Are you planning on doing an English translation like this one?  If so, perhaps you can point out anything you feel is a mistake with our dialogue at the end?

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2281 on: 2013-11-05 23:18:38 »
Yes, they've been ripped by Luksy using touphScript.  The non dialogue from Kernel hasn't been though.  You may get some help from our document
Ah, thank you. I'll send him a PM, I hope he didn't disable it. What I really need at the moment are the descriptions of weapons, battle commands, Limit Breaks... So you get it, what I need are their descriptions.

Are you planning on doing an English translation like this one?
Yes and no, at the same time. It won't be a full retranslation of the game, but all the battle-related stuff will be retranslated. The main script will be updated (I'll use the PC version's script, but there'll be some fixes). Another thing that I'd like to point out is that I'm not only retranslating this game, but I'm also trying to restore the changes they made when it came to America (mostly gameplay changes). It won't be a full relocalisation of the game, though.

Btw, it looks like you and Luksy have done a great job.

If so, perhaps you can point out anything you feel is a mistake with our dialogue at the end?
I'm afraid I can't. That part of the game's very confusing to me. Who is Cloud talking to? Himself or Zax's spirit?

NOTE: I know only a little of Japanese, but I'm having some help from people that know a lot.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: 2013-11-05 23:34:37 »
Ah cool.  Luksy shouldn't have disabled it.  I had to... I was getting inundated.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: 2013-11-05 23:52:22 »
Ah, thank you. I'll send him a PM, I hope he didn't disable it.
Just so you know, PMs are not available until a user has 5 posts, because of a problem we had with spambots sending PMs. You're obviously not a spambot, but if you run into trouble with PMs, this is why.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2284 on: 2013-11-09 16:03:28 »
I read all the rules. ;)

To DLPB and Luksy: I looked at your translation list, and I really liked how you guys translated the enemy attacks. May I have your permission to use them in my own project? I suck at giving names, I just translate them literally.

And... well... it looks like you committed (or kept) a few mistranslations too (I'm not 100% sure though).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: 2013-11-09 16:07:21 »
I read all the rules. ;)

To DLPB and Luksy: I looked at your translation list, and I really liked how you guys translated the enemy attacks. May I have your permission to use them in my own project? I suck at giving names, I just translate them literally.

And... well... it looks like you committed (or kept) a few mistranslations too (I'm not 100% sure though).

I did take a few liberties where required, those are listed in Orange.  If you noticed any that seem like full mistakes and not liberties let me know.

And yeah, you are free to use them as long as you post a link to that document and to this thread in credits :)

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2286 on: 2013-11-09 16:35:17 »
Sure. ;)

About the mistranslations... Are you sure that "Sled Fang" is correct? The English - Japanese dictionaries I use say that "sureddo" means "thread". So, wasn't it supposed to be "Thread Fang"?

I suspect that the correct translation for Fall Rangda is "Foul Rangda". At least that's what this page says. But it's definitely not "Four".
http://ffdic.wikiwiki.jp/?%A5%E2%A5%F3%A5%B9%A5%BF%A1%BC%2F%A1%DA%A5%D5%A5%A9%A1%BC%A5%EB%A5%E9%A5%F3%A5%C0%A1%DB

The "Erumesu no Kutsu" is not "Hermes' Shoes". Hermes used sandals, not shoes. This video is enough proof (jump to 1:04).

And one of the translators that are helping me told me that the correct translation for Phoenix Down is not Phoenix Tail. It would be something like "Phoenix tail feathers".

Another question I have is... what kind of English are you using for your translation? American or British English?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: 2013-11-09 16:41:40 »
About the mistranslations... Are you sure that "Sled Fang" is correct?

Yes.  It can be thread or sled, but why would it be thread?  There's no reason for that word.  Sled on the other hand, dog's pull.  And Nanaki is a dog like creature.  It is likely a joke.  If I recall the move looks like he is pulling a sled like a husky?

I suspect that the correct translation for Fall Rangda is "Foul Rangda". At least that's what this page says.

It's wrong.  Foul is different kana.  This is Fall, probably connected to the seasons.  I don't know why fall, but foul would be something else, unless the kana is wrong.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB

The "Erumesu no Kutsu" is not "Hermes' Shoes". Hermes used sandals, not shoes.

You are correct.  I will change this. :)

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hermes_Sandals
And one of the translators that are helping me told me that the correct translation for Phoenix Down is not Phoenix Tail. It would be something like "Phoenix tail feathers".

No... it is literally tail, although tail feathers might be what they are getting at.  In any case "Phoenix Tail Feathers" isn't going to work as an item name.  People can use the original word anyway, as the installer allows for canon series names.  I used tail because it's obvious that this means the feathers... or should be. When you are holding a bird tail, you are holding its feathers.

Another question I have is... what kind of English are you using for your translation? American or British English?

See main posts at start of thread.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-09 16:54:47 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2288 on: 2013-11-09 16:54:53 »
It's wrong. Foul is different kana. This is Fall, probably connected to the seasons. I don't know why fall, but foul would be something else, unless the kana is wrong.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB
Ah, I see... I wasn't thinking about the season, but the verb "fall". It's still weird though.

See main posts at start of thread.
So it's British... that explains it. I was wondering why "judgment" had an "e" in the middle of the word.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: 2013-11-09 16:56:59 »
So it's British... that explains it. I was wondering why "judgment" had an "e" in the middle of the word.

Nope.  It's both.  The installer will change all British spellings to American if you choose that option (although I may have missed judgement from my list anyway so I will add that).

Fall Rangda may need to be just "Rangda" if it is too confusing. 
« Last Edit: 2013-11-09 16:59:05 by DLPB »

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2290 on: 2013-11-09 17:06:43 »
There's another one too. Why are you going to leave "Eru Junon" as "Lower Junon"? Wasn't it supposed to be "L-Junon"? Junon's divided in two: "Aru Junon"(R-Junon) and "Eru Junon" (L-Junon). Right and left.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: 2013-11-09 17:10:27 »
There's another one too. Why are you going to leave "Eru Junon" as "Lower Junon"? Wasn't it supposed to be "L-Junon"? Junon's divided in two: "Aru Junon"(R-Junon) and "Eru Junon" (L-Junon). Right and left.

I am not sure it matters because I don't think those names ever get seen in game.  I localized as L and R.  If they ARE seen in game, I will have to amend it, but I don't think they are.

Also, I am reading your thread here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17004.80.html

And there seems to be a bit of misinformation there.  A lot of it is true, but things like "zack is definitely zack" is very wrong.  There are no interviews to my knowledge confirming this, and Zakkusu is NOT Zack.  It simply isn't unless it's a BIG mistake.  As for the other names, as you have probably read in our document here, they are backed up by the Official Establishment File.  Yrena, Leno...

I have allowed people the option of keeping the original names, minor and major.  The truth is, it's the original writing team's fault for not communicating properly with the localizing team.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-09 17:59:22 by DLPB »

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: 2013-11-09 17:38:09 »
Fall Rangda may need to be just "Rangda" if it is too confusing.
Autumn Rangda? Assuming that's not too long.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: 2013-11-09 17:42:37 »
Autumn Rangda? Assuming that's not too long.

I think even that sounds crap.  I might just go for Rangda.  I mean, what difference does the word "fall" really make here?

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: 2013-11-10 08:56:47 »
It's probably short for "fallen", Japanese likes to abbreviate.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: 2013-11-10 08:58:43 »
It's probably short for "fallen", Japanese likes to abbreviate.

That is a very good suggestion.  :)

Thisguyaresick2

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: 2013-11-10 12:59:57 »
Much of a muchness really, King Behemoth is one to one with the Japanese and King is used as a prefix for a number of animals, like the King Crab, King Penguin, etc.

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2298 on: 2013-11-10 13:15:16 »
Then why do we have Lion King and Scorpion King? Is that just because they're movie titles? I'm confused.

Edit: I also found this. Just check the kana. It's odd.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Malboro_King_%28Final_Fantasy_XII%29

Just in case you doubt the information, there's a video too (jump to 20:46).
« Last Edit: 2013-11-10 16:00:43 by Thisguyaresick2 »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: 2013-11-11 01:00:02 »
It all depends on the emphasis you want to give to the nouns.

In the case of the Lion / Scorpion / Malboro King, the emphasis is on King; Lion and Scorpion act as noun adjuncts. For King Behemoth / Pengiun / Crab, the emphasis is on the animal itself and King is the modifier.

Japanese works exactly the same way, e.g. Emperor Pengiuns are コウテイペンギン and not ペンギンコウテイ, so even if whoever wrote the creature names was unaware of English grammar, we can still assume that the order of the nouns is meaningful in this particular case.