Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1255968 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Reunion [IN PROGRESS]
« Reply #2375 on: 2013-11-21 16:22:57 »
A lot of that has been disabled on purpose though of course, or simply not seen on purpose.  There are a few exceptions, but generally, all of the above was deliberately not shown in game. (usually by altering the game moment in script).

They left in text that they were going to use but then later decided against.  For example, the world map has a "sea" and "bottom of the sea" menu name, because at one point they were obviously going to let you open menu in the submarine (and then removed that idea).  A LOT of text in the game is like that... entire scenes that were just abandoned, some due to time constraints (like the letter quest).

Then you have the scenes that were removed by accident like the Barrett dialogue at Gongaga, and party dialogue on the rope bridge to North Corel (both of which have been restored for The Reunion).  We have also restored the more difficult clock minigame at the Temple of the Ancients that was for some reason disabled in Western releases.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-21 16:31:11 by DLPB »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: 2013-11-21 16:28:45 »
DLPB, just thought i'd let you know my Coworker (huge FF7 fan) was reading what you just posted over my shoulder and is now asking me a million questions about this project. Not to add pressure, Just letting you know more people are becoming aware of this, And are very excited :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: 2013-11-21 16:33:38 »
There's no pressure...  I originally created this project for myself to show to someone else tbh, and as long as I am satisfied with it, I'll be happy.  Of course, I'd like the majority of people to be happy with it, and we have done our best with it.  I'll be listening to recommendations and corrections for a while before I sign off on it.

The bottom line is, it's definitely an improvement... but I'd like it to be seen as a very good localization than just "it's better".  We will see how well we have managed that in time.  8-)

Thisguyaresick2

« Reply #2378 on: 2013-11-21 17:01:57 »
Then you have the scenes that were removed by accident like the Barrett dialogue at Gongaga, and party dialogue on the rope bridge to North Corel (both of which have been restored for The Reunion).
They were removed by accident?! Oh man. Well, that makes sense, that scene in the bridge looks important. I always found the Mt. Corel part too... quiet.

Hey DLPB, could you help me? I've been trying to restore the bridge scene for days, it seems impossible. :( It's a lot easier to restore it in the PC version, but it's hard to do the same in the PSX version. Could you give me a hint?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: 2013-11-21 17:24:31 »
I don't know much about the psx version, but what I'd do is use touphScript on a PC version and then use Makou Reactor to compare the 2 scripts and just amend.  The ts version currently out does have an issue though, but if you get that far let me know.  You'll also need to add the text back (I can help there too).

The bridge scene was likely by accident, the gongaga definitely was... because of a rogue var.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-21 17:41:10 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: 2013-11-21 23:14:15 »
Speaking of unused dialogue, here is one in the truck from the Kalm flashback

{CLOUD}
“I wonder how materia is made?”
------------------------------
“You don't know?”
{CLOUD}
“…Do you?”
“The planet makes it.
  It takes a very long time.”
“Although lately,Shin-Ra
  has been making it as well.”

I missed this, but just checked to make sure, and it's never seen because the game moment has been set to way before you even get to Kalm.  It's also redundant because Sephiroth explains it later in the flashback.  Another instance where they changed their mind on where the exposition should take place. 

I have marked the above as I do always with unused dialogue x1, x2, x3 and so on.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: 2013-11-23 17:43:56 »
Given that most PC gamers use the XBox 360 gamepad, are you going to include button images for that, too?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: 2013-11-23 17:52:49 »
No :) that would take time and effort and the game was designed for the Playstation. I am simply restoring what it should be like.  I may add an option for xbox text, but certainly not the buttons.  Others could do that if they wished, by simply adding buttons in place of mine on the font image.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2383 on: 2013-11-23 22:43:04 »
No :) that would take time and effort and the game was designed for the Playstation. I am simply restoring what it should be like.  I may add an option for xbox text, but certainly not the buttons.  Others could do that if they wished, by simply adding buttons in place of mine on the font image.

Oh thank goodness, the PSX buttons were enough of a hassle to be honest. XD

The PC gamepad I use actually has numbers and the like rather than actual shapes as it's designed for all systems.  I don't think it's a huge task to adapt? I've played a 360 all of once so I don't know the controller layout well at all. XD

Another option for anyone feeling like giving themselves extra work would be to create a 'conversion chart'.  I don't think its necessary but it can't hurt.

ProtoX

« Reply #2384 on: 2013-11-24 02:08:33 »
Play PC games the hardway............WITH A KEYBOARD! *Insanity Wolf Theme playing in the backround*

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: 2013-11-24 17:09:46 »
@mugenginga

I have modified your graphics, and am currently placing them onto the font map.  However, if you could would you make some small changes for me to a few of them?

1.  The X on the X button is not centred.  Looks way too low. (I am OCD, I spot it).
2. Square Graphic 1 pixel too low
3. triangle too low
4. Text on the start button needs to be same as text on select button.
5. Start button shape is kind of distorted.,

That's all.  I've made quite a few changes to the other buttons and will send them all back when I have done.  For example:

Before

After

I will use these for the Reunion, and when FeliX gets back he will hopefully blow us both away.  ;D

It's not looking bad in game btw.  I'll sort the artefacts around the graphics later.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36889302/FF7/FontButtons.png

edit.  I don't think I am going to need to bother Felix either... these are looking very good.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-25 01:09:43 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2386 on: 2013-11-24 23:57:21 »
Sorry if I missed that but are you making xbox360 controller icons as well? It would be nice if you did. :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: 2013-11-25 02:42:13 »
He is not. I probably will myself eventually, if someone doesn't do it first.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2388 on: 2013-11-25 09:50:18 »
@mugenginga

I have modified your graphics, and am currently placing them onto the font map.  However, if you could would you make some small changes for me to a few of them?

1.  The X on the X button is not centred.  Looks way too low. (I am OCD, I spot it).
2. Square Graphic 1 pixel too low
3. triangle too low
4. Text on the start button needs to be same as text on select button.
5. Start button shape is kind of distorted.,

That's all.  I've made quite a few changes to the other buttons and will send them all back when I have done.  For example:

Before

After

I will use these for the Reunion, and when FeliX gets back he will hopefully blow us both away.  ;D

It's not looking bad in game btw.  I'll sort the artefacts around the graphics later.

edit.  I don't think I am going to need to bother Felix either... these are looking very good.

I'll have those done by the end of the day for you, no problem. I totally agree on the locations of the symbols on the symbol buttons, they looked that way on the examples you gave me but I felt they were off center too so I'm happy to make that fix.

Start button shape gave me issues, so I'll mess with that a bit.  The text is actually the same, but it does look a little off - I think its a shape issue. I'll do a few modifications and see if I can't make us both happier.

Also liking the changes you made to the directional buttons, it looks much sharper - I noticed you decided to go blue after all, I only went white because you requested that. XD

piojpoij I'm so happy I'm able to help with this project though. :D
« Last Edit: 2013-11-25 09:52:39 by mugenginga »

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: 2013-11-25 10:32:57 »

The directional buttons look a bit.. asymmetrical, with the white border around the right and bottom directions and the black border around the left and top. There's also a bit of a white border underneath the face buttons that looks out of place. Are these the artifacts you're referring to? Looking good and crisp otherwise. Oh, and the buttons don't look entirely centered between the letters of text - it looks like the directional buttons are clipping into subsequent letters a bit. I don't know if that will really come up in practice though.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-25 10:35:13 by Ver Greeneyes »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: 2013-11-25 14:03:39 »
Yeah the white parts are just how FF7 deals with graphics if not done properly and I will iron that out.  It's definitely going to work properly though.  The centring issue will also be fixed.  @mugenginga Yeah I know the directional buttons look way different to yours but truth is that's just how good Adobe is.  I did a few small updates to them.  And yeah, blue looks a lot better.

As for clipping into other letters, I've made it tighter than usual so that the gap isn't too big with space.  basically you are expected to always use a space.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-25 18:04:53 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2391 on: 2013-11-25 22:03:24 »
@DLPB - Done with the revamps you requested, uploaded them to the same gallery.  Much happier with this start button - used the second style which seems to be the one you're sticking with.

I'm a bit iffy on the triangle, it may be one pixel too high so let me know!

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: 2013-11-26 11:50:06 »

I don't quite follow your logic, but hey: It's your mod, so do whatever you wish.

If anyone wants "completely free for commercial and non-commercial use" XBox icons to put them in the game themselves, you can just grab them here: http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/satisfy-that-xbox-360-button-craving.html
« Last Edit: 2013-11-26 11:51:48 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: 2013-11-26 12:47:34 »
The logic is simple...  it would mean more buttons being made, more alterations by me that take ages, more messing placing it on the font that takes ages, more hex editing to adjust spacing and then testing... that takes ages.  There are no short cuts.  It's mind-numbingly annoying and delicate work. The font itself was a nightmare which is probably why it's only me who has made one.  The game was designed for a playstation pad and I have a playstation pad, so... 

If someone wants to overwrite the final font sheet with an xbox themed one I would be cool adding it to the installer, but I am definitely not working on it. It would be maximizing my work load for something I have no real care for :)
« Last Edit: 2013-11-26 12:52:52 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: 2013-11-26 18:18:43 »
If you explain your process, I can probably do it. Plus: If you share the finished buttons you used your mod, I can simply make XBox 360 versions of the exact same dimensions to drop in.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: 2013-11-26 18:32:17 »
Just pop em on my finished font when I am done and test in game.  If dimensions are same it will work no problem.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2396 on: 2013-11-27 09:02:48 »
If you explain your process, I can probably do it. Plus: If you share the finished buttons you used your mod, I can simply make XBox 360 versions of the exact same dimensions to drop in.

The dimensions in question are 76x76 pixels unless Dan changed them in his edits. ^_^

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: 2013-11-27 09:27:32 »
They have all had to be edited into size and the only sure way of doing it will be to make sure the xbox ones overlap mine perfectly.  So will have to wait for the finished font texture.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #2398 on: 2013-11-27 12:02:11 »
They have all had to be edited into size and the only sure way of doing it will be to make sure the xbox ones overlap mine perfectly.  So will have to wait for the finished font texture.

Thought they looked a little smaller!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: 2013-11-27 14:16:19 »
OK I'm sorry to bug you again...

this should be the last time.  Here's the issue.  I need those buttons to be 64x64 and because they aren't, whenever I resize they go crooked, no matter what.  The sides also become flatter and it looks bad in game.  What I need is the 4 main buttons (X,Circle, triang, Square) to be rerendered at 64x64 (and make sure they are nice and round all the way, any flatness on edges will look terrible in game).

Also, the Square icon needs to go up a further pixel.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-27 14:37:17 by DLPB »