Author Topic: Game runs choppy.  (Read 4848 times)

Dreakon

• View Profile
Game runs choppy.
« on: 2004-08-12 18:54:34 »
I am trying to run the game on my crappy PC with the integrated card.  I tried it with the D3D (after installing 1.2 and checking it) and it ran slow, then I tried software renderer and it still ran slow.  I know integrated cards are crap but geez, it's FF7, not Doom III.

Max Payne 2 and Black and White run fine on this PC, but FF7 is having problems?  There has to be a way to fix this...

Also, for some reason I cant select 320x240 Full Screen in the config.  On both Direct 3D and Software Renderer its grayed out.  Is it too low for my monitor or something?

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-12 20:01:02 »
The video card probably doesn't support 320x240.

And what do you mean after installing 1.2 and checking it? There are usually a lot more steps in getting Hardware mode working..... on today's machines.

If the 8bit pallet test says fail, you can try using the whole TNT patch, and checking the Nvidia boxes.

But if it says PASS, and I bet you it does....it get's much, harder. If that isn't a Nvidia card... you probably won't be able to get Hardware mode working, at all.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-13 00:03:09 »
1.  It's in integrated card, not Nvidia or ATI.  My PC says its a VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP.

2. I meant I installed the 1.02 Riva patch and checked the Nvidia option in the config program and set it to TNT.  If I set it to Riva 128, I get graphical corruption.

3. It says fail if I don't check the Riva option, if I do check it, it says "----" next to 8-bit Palette (without the " ").  It says its using Direct 3D when I do this so I am assuming it's working.  Though I dont know what the ---- means, I assume its working because there isnt any graphical corruption.

Now that I think I answered your questions, any ideas on how do speed the game up?

NeoS

• View Profile
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-13 12:25:06 »
Define "crappy pc". Pentium, P2, amd? clockspeed, amount of mem? Windows version? That would help i guess.

As a last resort you could buy a low budget GF4 mx card. FF7 workes fine with that...

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-13 12:29:18 »
Dreakon:  If 8-bit Palette fails, checking the nVidia box and selecting "TNT" is the correct solution (the 1.02 patch removes the need for hardware 8-bit Paletted Textures support, which is why it puts the ---- there), so you should be running in D3D.

Have you had any performance problems with other Direct3D games?  I don't know how fast that card is supposed to be.  Best thing I can think of is seeing if there are any updated drivers.

Btw, how fast is your CPU?

Dreakon

• View Profile
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-13 18:27:30 »
2.8 Ghz Pentium 4
512 RAM
120 GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home Edition
The Card I told you earlier

As I said before, I can run Max Payne 2 fine in Software Mode (the other option if my card could handle it would be Hardware T&L) and I can run Black and White without really changing any options, so I dont know what it's running with.  The game really shouldnt be running choppy though, I know its integrated but it is 64 MB and MP2 and B&W run fine.  Even on software renderer the game runs choppy.

P.S: I tried the Direct3D test in dxdiag for DX7, 8 and 9 and it ran fine.

Messiah99

• View Profile
Game runs choppy.
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-14 06:52:16 »
Quote from: Dreakon
The game really shouldnt be running choppy though, I know its integrated but it is 64 MB and MP2 and B&W run fine.  Even on software renderer the game runs choppy.

Because Software render is essentially useless, sans using it to play through a game crash. Or at least was in my experience, but I have an NVidia card so its not so hard to fix.

Unfortunately I dont know anything about the card you said, but if 1.02 and/or Rivatuner didnt work, then I cant imagine there's many other easy solutions.

Quote from: Dreakon
P.S: I tried the Direct3D test in dxdiag for DX7, 8 and 9 and it ran fine.

Except that FF7 runs under DX5, or at least was made to...