Author Topic: FF8 (pc)..Parade Video Crashing... *help*!  (Read 6410 times)

alskdj80

FF8 (pc)..Parade Video Crashing... *help*!
« on: 2005-01-28 16:19:43 »
oh no... i have the same problem... crashes right during the fmv of rinoa and edea

i know this game is really old, but can anyone play through this to the next save point?  i'd really appreciate it

if you can, email me at [email protected]

thanks!!

MOD EDIT: Split from this topic.  That topic is over two years old, you know.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-29 02:56:10 »
Hi, I wonder if its possible for someone to send me a copy of those saved games that were in the old thread if their still hanging around?

Or even play through to the next save point for me, thats be great !

and, i don't know if this is breaking the rule thats stickied about downloaded games and what not, but is it against the rules to get a specific file? Say the disc1.pak file that has the movies in it? Cause that would probably fix this issue straight up - again sorry if thats against that rule :)

Anyways i'd be forever in your dept if someone could atleast play through to the next save point, i don't want to miss out on anything as this is my first time playing the game (I know, i should be ashamed :()
My E-mail addy is [email protected]

- Cheers

on a side note, does anyone know why on my good computer (P4 3.2Ghz prescott, 6600GT PCI-e gfx card, gig of ram, xp home SP2, onbaord 8ch sound by CZilla, its a GA-8i915P Duo mobo) Non of the sound effects play? I've resort ed to playing it on my old p3 650 with a tnt2 gfx card that lags abit in heavy battles (such as the "Brothers GF" fight and such)

anyways cheers for any help :D

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-29 04:30:05 »
Would it help if i sent you my saved game? I'll do that if you want me too, no probs there, then you only gotta watch the fmv and well i guess there'd be a save point right after that??

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-29 05:30:03 »
i shouldn't encrouging this but if you google it up on "FF8 save game" you will get loaded with list of save game. but some save game been modifed to full level with full summon and magic and weapons.

I have that problem too. when Edna starting to be trapped, the movie frozed.

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-01-29 05:31:02 »
You know what's weird? i always had a problem with this particular fmv on the playstation version due to a little scratch that i could barely make out weird huh. And there were worse scratches i also knew some people with this problem.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-01-29 05:46:30 »
I've been searching but the closest i can find is one for the JP version thats at the beginning of CD2 - Is the part where i'm having problems right before the end of cd one or is there still some stuff there? I remember the "Gateway Team" getting locked in the house, don't tell me what happens but is there part "Resolved" on cd1 or 2?

I don't mind if there all edited to have illegal stuff, i can just use a saved game editor to edit the stats and items and stuff back to what i currently have :D

anyways i can't find a list of savedgames, can anyone point me in the right direction (Even by Pm if you don't want to post)

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-01-29 06:18:37 »
http://vgstrategies.about.com/library/save/blpcfinalfantasy8.htm

If you look here it has one from right near the end of game i know its not what your'e looking for but might usefull. Ill see if i can find some more, if you wanted some for ff7 they had quite a few.

If by some chance you want the FF7 ones just replace the 8 with a 7 in the link above.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-01-29 09:47:49 »
I've actually finsihed FF7 - on PC too, funnily enough i hadn't even played FF8 until a little while ago and since then i've been hooked, until today when this happened :(

Here i'll supply anyone whose currently got it installed with my saved game. It really shouldn't take that long to get to the next save point would it?
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslllm2/save01

cheers - I'm actually looking around on the net to download a new copy of the first cd - Yes i do legally own an original version of the game, i didn't illegally download it - i picked it up at the local vid shop - probably should of expected something like this  :z - but i'm capped at 64k so i won't be getting it anytime soon, would be great if someone could do this for me :D

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-01-29 10:16:01 »
If i only i had it myself i could have done it for you. You might have a bit of trouble finding it but i suppose torrents are your best bet.

I found plenty of FF7 saves for both ps and pc but only one FF8 save for pc  :weep: .

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-01-29 10:49:26 »
so is there anyone in this forum that actually has FF8 ? - or should i say has it installed ? Gonna take me years to get a downloaded cd1 and theres no gurantee that it won't be like mine :(

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-01-29 11:03:59 »
Is it crashing because of the video? If the video files are say a format WMP and the like can play maybe you could try converting to a different format that of course you have a codec installed for like XVid.

I have no idea if this would help but some people had similar issued with FF7 but there was a true motion update for it which is the codec the movies for ff7 use i think.

EDIT: MY brother actually had this problem with FF7 only some videos would be little bastards and freeze the game up without the true motion update or if i converted to XVid which also worked.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-01-30 07:40:53 »
its the actual video its self, i extracted it with the FMVextractor - both high and low rez versions on 2 different computers and they both crash, the high rez one crashes right after the sorceress stands up and the low rez version crashes about 2 seconds after she starts to walk out infront of the crowd

This would be so much easier if they had of put in a "Skip Video" option lol

[edit] Hey, me again, still no one around that can help? I managed to find a download on Shareaza with a stack of saved games but the closest to my point is on disc 2 :( Anyone?

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-01-30 08:10:38 »
What format are these videos in? A standard video format or some custom file format?

EDIT: http://www.eidos.co.uk/support/search.html?gmid=

There are two patches there GeForce and Non-Geforce not sure if you tryed them but give them ago under all the settings configurations possible and tell me how it go's.

EDIT: http://www.eidos.co.uk/support/faqinfo.html?fqid=40&gmid=52

This might also be interesting to look at for your sound problem.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #13 on: 2005-01-30 14:29:55 »
The videos are in Bink format.  If both the high-res and low-res versions are damaged on your CDs, you'll have to find another CD or get someone to play through to the next save for you (like you said earlier), but it's not going to be a codec problem or anything, FF8 doesn't use DirectShow to play videos.

alskdj80

« Reply #14 on: 2005-01-31 14:53:42 »
whoa!!  im surprised at so many responses!

somehow over the weekend, i was able to solve the problem... i just tried to change the resolution (in ff8config) to quarter screen and didnt change anything else

and it got me past that fmv... later on, it crashed again at another fmv (maybe the one with the parade?  dun remember)... but the quarter screen trick worked again

anyone else with the same problem can try this... hopefully it gets you past...

im on 3rd disc now and so far, its been ok ever since those two crashes

dun forget to switch back to full screen

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #15 on: 2005-01-31 15:08:39 »
If switching to quarter-screen works, you may also be able to bypass the problem by just setting the movie resolution to "Low" and leaving it on full screen.

nameroc

« Reply #16 on: 2005-01-31 18:00:01 »
I have the same problem with fmvs. Since there is no way to get past them,
will anyone help me get past that point if I sent them a save? I have the problem right where quistis, selphie and zell move to the end of the sewers and zell says its starting. I guess there must be a save point after that, where the sniper (just forgot his name! duh!) takes position. The clock video works alright, as the others. Can anyone help,  please? Thanks in advance. My mail is [email protected]