Author Topic: Music problem...  (Read 4176 times)

Kayin

Music problem...
« on: 2004-03-04 04:32:05 »
I'm sorry if you guys have seen this before, but I couldn't really find anything related to this problem anywhere else... I've searched for a few days trying many solutions to problems but to no avail...
I installed Final Fantasy VII on XP recently, the picture is fine... but I'm getting major music problems. The music is distorted, and plays out of order or just not in tempo. I've been trying since Sunday to get it to work... The weird thing is, when I alt+tab out of the game (unable to get back into the game though), the music plays properly! If someone would like to get an idea of what I'm talking about, I'd be more than happy to record a short sample of the music to send via AIM. I will PM whoever wishes to aid me for their SN's. Specs are...

1.4 ghz
512 ram
Geforce 2 MX 440
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

I apologize if this is off topic/in the wrong forum, I've just been extremely stressed out as this problem has been bugging my ears for the past week and I've been yearning to hear proper FF7 music  -_- . Thanks to all who look into this problem in advance.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Music problem...
« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-04 04:59:10 »
Can you give us the settings you have chosen and the settings available to you on the MIDI tab of FF7Config?  Also, I am assuming you are using Windows XP?  Thanks.

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-04 06:12:57 »
Currently using...
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth with General MIDI for Midi Data... as for choices...

MIDI Drivers:
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
MPU-401 (doesn't work.. no sound during test run in FF7 Config)

MIDI Data:
General MIDI
Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64) (doesn't work, error playing in FF7 config)
Yamaha XG MIDI

The combinations that DO work have similar problems, or don't even work in the test run.  :( And yeah, Windows XP.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Music problem...
« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-04 16:19:33 »
Interesting...  In FF7Config, if you hit "Test," does the music sound ok in there?  Or is it messed up in both the game and in FF7Config?

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-04 21:02:07 »
It works fine in FF7 Config

rasczak77

• View Profile
Music problem...
« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-04 21:57:01 »
Just to maybe shed some light, you didn't go and install that blasted FF7 XP Patch did you?

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-05 01:28:45 »
I did once, but also reinstalled EVERYTHING several times...

rasczak77

• View Profile
Music problem...
« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-05 05:22:12 »
Well, that could be a lead right there.  That patch also overwrites a file deep in your Windows directory.  The file is called GM.DLS and it is a sort of MIDI controller type thing.  Now you should try to copy over that file with the one from within the cab files in your Windows CD.  Many of us could probably just send you the file but I suspect that doing so would somehow be illegal.  Anyway, afterwards you start FFVII and find out whether or not there's a positive change.

Another option that you might consider is just bypassing the game music altogether and relying on Ficedula's miming FF7Music instead.

Technical credit goes to FF_Lover and his thread:
http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=1656

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-05 05:26:55 »
I don't have a windows cd, XP came pre-loaded on this thing, it just came with a recovery disc.

rasczak77

• View Profile
Music problem...
« Reply #9 on: 2004-03-05 05:38:04 »
Now I guess we search the forum for links someone provided to the repair file.

Edit:  That's turning up empty.  Meh, I'll transmit a copy of file just this once.  It will be 3.28mb so you need to specify a capable medium.   Also, you mentioned that Windows came preloaded?  Further review of that thread states that you need to replace that file from within Safemode in order to evade the Windows File Protection.

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #10 on: 2004-03-05 21:27:19 »
Will this work with a windows 98 cd? If so, what's the cab file called and what directory is it in? As for transferring... my AIM is Serge76982

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #11 on: 2004-03-06 18:59:40 »
Still messed up... :(

Kayin

Music problem...
« Reply #12 on: 2004-03-11 02:20:02 »
Meh, I've given up, I brought out my old 266mhz from the garage just to play the game :)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Music problem...
« Reply #13 on: 2004-03-11 08:28:44 »
Please don't double-post, and definitely don't triple-post. If no one else has replied, edit your last post instead.