Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1091350 times)

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.4
« Reply #1100 on: 2011-09-16 20:44:48 »
@xxxgodz: What i exactly mean, are the Updates served through "Windows Update" :
                  (Windows7, 64bit)

« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 00:36:09 by UGerstl »

xxxgodz

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: 2011-09-16 22:40:47 »
Hmmm strange. I thought i just did all that windows update stuff for the .net framework but from the looks of it, i guess i haven't. Well the updates are installing now so i'll have to see once they are done and i've restarted my pc. Thanks for the reply though. Would be funny if the reason why i couldn't get this mod to work is because i didn't do windows update.....

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1102 on: 2011-09-17 15:39:15 »
The 4.0 .NET requirement was a mistake. I switched to visual studio 2010 which had that framework as default, and I forgot to change it before I build it. In the next release only 2.0 will be required. I think most version of windows today support it by default.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: 2011-09-17 21:34:39 »
That's a good idea!
I need to switch my project to .NET 2.0 too (BTW, that was a good movie).

The .NET Framework 4.0 is finicky.  Windows update doesn't automatically select it for installation.  One must manually select it, install and repeat a few times to apply all the updates.  Microsoft cares.

I find some of the enemy encounters in 1.04 REALLY hard!  But it's way better than any of the other difficulty mods available.
Thanks for you continued development of this mod!

Are normal mode and hardcore mode save games interchangeable?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: 2011-09-17 22:42:14 »
No, savegames are NOT interchangeable.

riryoku

• Aim: All Girl FF7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: 2011-09-18 11:26:13 »
Thank you so much for this mod!! I'm having so much fun. I never thought I'd be able to experience FF7 in such a new way like this.

Just finished the first Jenova fight on the cargo ship. Such a great fight! Took me a few attempts to get into a decent rhythm of fighting and healing. Wasn't sure if my levels were too low but I'm trying not to level too much in case I end up making the game easier than it should be. I love a challenge. I'm just annoyed the game continues to freak out if Cloud isn't in my party during story events. I thought I could finally have my all girl team thanks to Black Chocobo but that's off topic.

Also damn that Locke, Venus and (always forget the other one) battle was crazy. I had to use Loco Weed to make them kill each other! I realised after I think they were countering physical attacks? So I was making it more difficult for myself by opening with throwing a shrapnel at them.

Edit: Aww no Ifrit boss but I guess that would be rather cruel after just having fought Jenova.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-18 11:28:59 by riryoku »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1106 on: 2011-09-18 18:35:04 »
Are normal mode and hardcore mode save games interchangeable?

Not 100%. If you did not patch the kernel, then they're compatible with each other. The game is still 100% playable by loading a non-patched save game, but thing like materias AP can get screwed up.

@riryoku
Thanks. No, imagine having another boss right after Jenova. Same thing with the Shiva and Ramuh. You can't save before picking up Ramuh, so if you got a game over ont that boss you would have to beat Dyne again as well.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: 2011-09-18 19:51:37 »
Putting a save point right in the Chocobo Jockeys' room to save before. Also make sure that the Shiva Materia is only available in the house (like it is when you have 200 Materias in your invetory). Similar for some other Materia bosses. Also if it would be possible to have the Materia Caves have 2 spots where you pick up the Materias.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1108 on: 2011-09-20 12:35:29 »
They are all good ideas Vgr. The only problem here is the Ramuh materia. My patch don't actually patch field files, it replaces them (not all, only those I changed). If I add a savepoint to the field, add the field to my patch everyone who patches will get english dialogue in this field. I know I have done this with other fields, like the gongaga reactor boss and the flashback boss.

Before I add any field stuff that may alter dialogue, I want to finish the patch, in order for it to actually patch. How long time it takes? I have no clue. I worked on a patch method over a year ago, but I never continued. I'm guessing at least a few months. Most likely more. Not that it's hard to make one; I simply don't have much time to do it.

Having two materias in the caves is a good idea. That, or check if you have 199 instead of 200.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: 2011-09-23 18:44:12 »
Man this mod is too hard for me how do i remove this i selected "make backup files"  now what. Sorry for being a noob but your mod was great but maybe a bit too hard especially the part when you first start the game i couldn't get past the boss in twice

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1110 on: 2011-09-23 20:17:53 »
To restore the backups 1st make sure you actually have them. They have the extension bak0, or, if you've patched the same files multiple times, bak1, bak2, etc. bak0 are always the oldest files (In the next release it will only create a backup if one isn't present already; avoiding possible space issues). Basically look for bak0 files.

Lets say you find flevel.lgp.bak0. 1st delete flevel.lgp, then rename  flevel.lgp.bak0 -> flevel.lgp.
If you didn't find flevel.lgp.bak0 there is no backup, and you need to copy flevel.lgp from one of the discs.
Repeat for all files.

They are located in FF7 data folder if you didn't know. data/kernel, data/field, data/battle.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: 2011-09-23 20:28:59 »
When me and luksy have completed the tools, your mods and mine may not clash anymore, at least nearly all problems will be avoided.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: 2011-09-23 20:54:02 »
Thank you soo much gjoerulv

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: 2011-09-23 22:43:38 »
I could post something that would allow you to easily switch between Normal and Hardcore Mods. Look in the Bootleg thread.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: 2011-10-04 16:38:04 »
You thinking of releasing another version for this meaning slightly easier the main thing i like about this mod is it makes the bosses much longer to kill which i love i hate it when i kill them so quick well for me bosses and also dying so quick kos of its unbelievably hard mode

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1115 on: 2011-10-04 21:06:51 »
you think this is unbelieveably hard?
lol
you need to learn how to play better. seriously.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: 2011-10-04 21:42:45 »
you think this is unbelieveably hard?
lol
you need to learn how to play better. seriously.

You need to stop acting like a dick, seriously.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: 2011-10-04 22:44:00 »
You need to stop acting like a dick, seriously.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: 2011-10-04 23:06:48 »
I find it outrageously hard too... but it's fun!
I'm working with some mod authors to produce a serious of difficulty mods that range from easy to extreme.
You might also try playing Hardcore with Revival installed.
Aeris can really kick 4$$ at higher levels!
Also, read this thread.  There are some really great tips on beating enemies.
Hopefully someone compiles a strategy guide for the Hardcore Mod.
That would be a very useful good thing!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1119 on: 2011-10-05 14:07:15 »
Not being terrible at games is acting like a dick now?
This is really only very ( and not ridiculously so ) hard if you try to speedrun it.
it's a lot harder than the normal game, but that one could be finished even by the most casual casuals.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: 2011-10-05 19:31:27 »
No it cannot. You maybe are a good player, but it doesn't mean that anyone else is. Now, stop.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1121 on: 2011-10-06 04:08:42 »
You thinking of releasing another version for this meaning slightly easier the main thing i like about this mod is it makes the bosses much longer to kill which i love i hate it when i kill them so quick well for me bosses and also dying so quick kos of its unbelievably hard mode

Punctuation is a good thing.
Eventually there will be another release. If I make more options depends on how lazy I am.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: 2011-10-06 04:59:55 »
having lots of fun with this.. just reached the 3rd CD and got Clould's Ultima Weapon.. so far its been damn fun, alot of bosses required me to use strategies and magics/items that i never even bothered with on the normal version (like gravity materias and items and even confuse, berserk, sleep etc.)

thanks alot gjoerulv for sharing this great difficulty mod, will be on the lookout for new releases for sure  :-P

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: 2011-10-07 09:34:54 »
Question: How do you get Dragon Force from the Blue Dragon?

EDIT: This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UH9Xz8ITpk&feature=related) says you need to Reflect it so when it casts Dragon Force it bounces back to you. Of all the times I've fought him he only ever used it on the very first time. I even cheated, made Cloud super powerful and just waited until he casted it for about an hour. No dice. Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous?

Some random observations: I seem to be under 10 levels of the averages I'm seeing here. Beat the Temple, Jenova-LIFE and the Kujata boss at around lvl 30.

My best friends:
-The back row
-The Sadness status
-The ???? Enemy Skill
-Barrier-All, MBarrier-All
-2 characters with Restore-All
-Slow-All and Spider Webs when you REALLY want to make sure they're slown down
-Magic Hammer

Also, please, please, increase the amount of gil gained in battles. I just steal Ethers and run away so I don't overlevel, and it's a bit of a pain.

« Last Edit: 2011-10-07 18:41:12 by Bosque »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1124 on: 2011-10-10 18:22:18 »
Question: How do you get Dragon Force from the Blue Dragon?

EDIT: This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UH9Xz8ITpk&feature=related) says you need to Reflect it so when it casts Dragon Force it bounces back to you. Of all the times I've fought him he only ever used it on the very first time. I even cheated, made Cloud super powerful and just waited until he casted it for about an hour. No dice. Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous?

Some random observations: I seem to be under 10 levels of the averages I'm seeing here. Beat the Temple, Jenova-LIFE and the Kujata boss at around lvl 30.

My best friends:
-The back row
-The Sadness status
-The ???? Enemy Skill
-Barrier-All, MBarrier-All
-2 characters with Restore-All
-Slow-All and Spider Webs when you REALLY want to make sure they're slown down
-Magic Hammer

Also, please, please, increase the amount of gil gained in battles. I just steal Ethers and run away so I don't overlevel, and it's a bit of a pain.

You can't just stand and wait for it to use dragon force. It uses it randomly, yes, but with greater chance if It's hp is low. I guess I'll make it manipable however (I kinda thought it was originally).
More gil? Isn't that a part of being "hard"? Not being able to buy everything etc. You basically use gil to get it easier no?

I got some new ideas. I was thinking of making limit breaks ignore defence. This way they'll actually be useful in the end. Additionally, I was thinking the comet spells and the contain spells should ignore defence. Maybe all the summons too...