Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1091347 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.4
« Reply #1125 on: 2011-10-10 18:26:43 »
For the Summons, leave it for Bahamut already ;D

Also, maybe put the Materia caves' Materias available separatly because it's annoying to have them all in a fight. Just an idea.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: 2011-10-11 06:19:23 »
More gil? Isn't that a part of being "hard"? Not being able to buy everything etc. You basically use gil to get it easier no?

Most players will just fight battles to get their gil to get new equipment to tackle the new, big, mighty boss. This results in players overlevelling AND getting the new gear: making the game easier than it is. If people got their new gear, but at lower levels, it becomes even more of a challenge.

I've only got a few levels when I really needed it: first Theo/Locke/Venus battle, and Schizo (which imo is the turning point in this mod... you really need to kick it up a notch in terms of materias).
« Last Edit: 2011-10-11 08:50:08 by Bosque »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1127 on: 2011-10-11 12:16:43 »
Most players will just fight battles to get their gil to get new equipment to tackle the new, big, mighty boss. This results in players overlevelling AND getting the new gear: making the game easier than it is. If people got their new gear, but at lower levels, it becomes even more of a challenge.

I've only got a few levels when I really needed it: first Theo/Locke/Venus battle, and Schizo (which imo is the turning point in this mod... you really need to kick it up a notch in terms of materias).

When you play a hard mode, you must tolerate some loss. Besides, there are plenty of ways to gain gil. For instance, stealing ethers from lower level enemies will prevent unwanted leveling. Sell mastered/high AP materia. Sell weaker weapons.

In the later parts of the game, getting gil isn't really hard. Selling one or two master All materias and you're good. In the earlier parts of the game, if you have to choose between materia or equipment, buy materia.

I can understand the frustration, but I don't really see the need for raising gil levels.

ogd

« Reply #1128 on: 2011-10-18 13:50:30 »
This mod has totally reinvented FF7 for me and I'm loving every minute (well, most of them)!  I've actually had to stop and think about how to beat not only each boss, but each trash  encounter as well. Thank you very much for putting this together - I can't imagine how long  it must have taken.

As I write this I'm about to go to Mideel for the first time. Cloud is level 49, Tifa and  Yuffie (who I used for the beginning of disc 2) are about 46-47, and the others are in the  43-44 range. There have been so many great/memorable moments of puzzle solving along the way  that I really should have started posting here earlier, but I'll do my best to remember them  all. In general, I found that levelling was only necessary in the beginning of the game, and  generally that was only to obtain necessary items. Again, I salute you for a fantastic job  with balance in this regard.

I know I wound up reading at least half of this thread since I started the mod, so hopefully  this post will help others along that want to play this without overlevelling. That being  said, I'm going to spoil the strategies I used on each boss up until now, so read at your own risk. A bunch of people seem to have been asking for a hardmode walkthrough, so I'll try to  provide the beginnings of one. For the later bosses especially, the few videos and strategies  I found online relied on HP pools at least 2.5x as large as what I had.

Note that at many points I talk about using items. With the exception of specific places that I mention, these items were obtained over the course of normal gameplay. For me, "normal gameplay" included returning to Fort Condor for each battle one can fight there, which allowed me to pick up some items; for example, some mobs in the desert area drop Graviballs. This also let me get kills for Aeris (and others) to help work on limit breaks. Still, the only one I really focused on was Aeris; right now, she has her limit level 4, Tifa has all level 3s, while Cloud and all others still are only level 2 (and Cait Sith is level 1).

Here we go.

Sector 1:

Whoa, starting at level 3? I wasn't too happy about this at first but soon realized that a)  the levelling rate was very fast, even on the easy mobs and b) this meant that I would get to  the boss at 7-8 with all the items I needed. That being said, it was annoying that I had to  fight the weak MPs for about 20 minutes - it would have been cool to have a chance against  the enemies further within, and/or those around the save point. It was nice that I had to use  Blizzard on the regular mobs.

Anyway, I got to the Guard Scorpion around level 7-8 and he went down without too much  trouble thanks to Grenades, Thunder and a single Bolt Plume. He had just about drained me of  Potions by the end, so I was sweating on the run out with one extra Bolt Plume just in case  (btw, thanks for the Tent). Overall, it was a much better experience than the original.

Sector 7:

Make sure you buy TWO (2) RESTORE MATERIA from Sector 7!!! I only bought one and it made Air  Buster a b*tch.

Other than that, I love that some of the cut scenes were restored here (along with the Palmer  scene at Wall Market). Not sure if it was you or the remix patch, but either way I was like  "whoa".

Sector 5:

First thing I noticed was an increased droprate on Deadly Waste, so I definitely made a  mental note to pick up a few (I think I got 3). Other than that, I got through the trash here  without too much trouble, again by using magic. But I was not at all prepared for Air Buster.  Part of the reason I had trouble is because of a bug, it's not always clear which way Air  Buster is facing... but this was not the biggest problem.

Playing the original I never knew Air Buster could run out of Big Bombers, but when I learned  that from Youtube I realized I could take him out with a lot of waiting. Once I survived all  of those without attacking (and therefore without getting counter-attacked) I was able to  start whittling away mainly with limit breaks, and he would usually (~90%) counter with Rear  Gun. It took me about 6 tries, and I had to level up once to about 11-12 in order to have  enough HP. I almost put the mod down here... but I'm glad I kept up with it because  everything after this fight was a lot of fun.

Aps:

Thanks for making him easy - like you said, it's a long way since the last save point. I had  bought a Fire materia, so using that plus a Deadly Waste and Cross-Slash was good enough to  kill this guy.

Reno / Sector 7 Pillar:

At my attack it took three physicals to kill a pyramid, so that left about 1-2 turns to  damage Reno... but it was enough. His silence was annoying but Deadly Waste helped, as well  as using Grenades and limit breaks to help on pyramids. This guy was again just the right  difficulty.

Shinra Building:

Still my favorite part of the game, but it was quite challenging this time! I busted in and  didn't have many problems until the surprise I got when I opened the Keycard 66 chest!

The Locke, Venus, Theo encounter was crazy tough! I tried a bunch of things here but the only  one that worked was to toss Loco weeds at them until they killed each other. I did it with  just two, but using 3-4 of them would have been much safer. I wasn't able to steal anything  from these guys, but it's worth trying as you basically can't attack them anyway.

The other thing that gave me trouble here is the trash. I seem to remember that Soldier: 3RDs  are really tough, while there are other enemies here that Berserk you and still others that  cast Roulette but are immune to it themselves! Fortunately, the rest of the bosses in here  (the first Hojo boss, the elevator bosses, Rufus, and the Motor Drive) were all reasonable.

One more thing about the Shinra building - make sure you get the Poison and Elemental  materia! I used poison to win many battles, and I swear certain bosses would have been almost  impossible without Elemental.

To Junon:

I saved outside the Chocobo Farm and got my first summ- oh lolwut? The first time I tried  Silver Chocobo he used Deathblow 4 times in a row on me and I had no answer. The next time he  only used it once (and did this strange attack with no effect a few times). I love the  concept here, but I can't help but think this battle is broken. Still, it forced me to  strategize... I'm pretty sure Cross-slash and Poison won it for me.

From here on, Choco-Mog was something I used almost every battle with 3+ mobs. The stop  effect seems like it hits a lot more often than it used to, and I really needed it until  getting access to Seal, Mystify, and good enemy skills. Speaking of that, in this mod there's  no way to get Beta right now... I challenge anyone to prove me wrong! It's still very hard,  but doable, after coming back from the Corel Prison.

Another royal pain trash mob was the Zemzelett. This guy now has about 1300 HP and his main  attack adds silence and darkness. I basically ran from these until getting manipulate.

Bottomswell wasn't bad at all. Choco-mog actually does Wind damage now, so one use of that  plus having it linked to Elemental causes lots of damage (with Long-range if necessary). The  Waterpolos are weak to lightning and broken by a single bolt, or 1-2 Flamethrower. I also  used Flamethrower to attack the boss on the non-Wind elemental character, and Poison just  sped it up a bit.

Helpful hint - make sure you get AT LEAST the 6 Ethers from the parade, since you need the  gil. Also get the HP Plus, not the Force Stealer, from the sendoff. Finally, make sure you  get the accessories you don't have yet, along with Seal and Revive materia, and 3  Tranquilizers.

Jenova Birth:

Wow 20k HP? Damn. His attacks are all physical and do check your row, so everyone's gotta be in the back. Also, you'll need Haste, so Red XIII needs to be in the party. I had my last character as Yuffie for the long-range attack with the weapon she just got. Once I optimized my setup and had Sadness on everyone, the only thing that could kill me was a 3x Laser. With Haste I was able to heal up after each attack and keep the physical attacks going until it went down. Him casting Stop basically gives you a free turn to recover, which was sometimes necessary.

Note that I did get 1-2 levels on the ship while trying to get 2x Shinra Beta as well as some  Ink, which I thought might help (but it did not).

Gold Saucer / Corel:

Nothing really special to note on the way to Corel, except that I stole two Right arms from  bombs. Shiva helped make short work of the mobs here, and is absolutely worth the materia  slot for now. When Cait Sith joins, he's got Manipulate on him, so be sure to take that off.  Also give his Silver Armlet to Barret.

In the prison, be sure to get Laser on both Enemy Skill materia. Also you may want to fight  Cactuars for gil... but I was never able to encounter one. If you encounter a Land Worm and  want to kill it, Poison + Manip and walk away. I fought three of them before giving up and  getting on with it.

For Dyne, I set up Barret with Poison, Seal, the HP Plus, and some way to magic attack.  Dyne  needs to go to sleep ASAP or he'll Berserk/Silence Barret plus do a ton of damage. Once he's  asleep the fight is pretty easy, just poison him then pummel with some kind of magic attack,  using Ethers as necessary.

Getting Beta:

Now that I had the buggy and a Fire Ring, it was time to give Zolom a try. First I had to get  Mighty Guard which is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS as the Beachplugs always come with double  attacking enemies that inflict instant death, and they have much less HP so you can't use a  summon. Ugh. Then when you do get the manipulate down, you can't actually TARGET the Mighty  Guard, so it's random if he casts it on the right guy. I also made sure to get White Wind,  but there was no way I could get Aqualung at this point. This is also when I got the Mythril  and the Bolt Ring, so I did some light training in the forests, mainly using summons to kill  groups of enemies with Aeris and train limit breaks.

Now for the Zolom. The Enemy Skill materia must be on different characters, and only one will  get Beta at a time. One E-skill user gets the fire ring, the other gets Fire-Elemental on  armor (which may be either 1/2 or immune, either should be fine). To open, the non-E-skill  user needs to poison Zolom, while the other two use Laser. He'll probably kill someone and  stand up. That person needs to be revived, while the person NOT getting Beta does another  Laser. For those keeping score, he should now have taken 3x Laser plus two ticks of poison or  so, which is roughly 18750 damage out of his 20000 HP. He should eject the last Laser user,  then use Beta, which the other E-skill person should survive. Now you need to kill him, which  means at least about 700 damage with your next attack if you count a third poison tick. It's  best to go for the full 1250 and use either Beta or a Right arm. Congrats on getting Beta at  "low levels".

More to come soon!
« Last Edit: 2011-10-18 15:44:03 by ogd »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: 2011-10-18 16:13:45 »
ogd thanks alot will sure use this as a strategy guide :D

ogd

« Reply #1130 on: 2011-10-18 18:49:19 »
Part 2 of the guild below. Mods, let me know if I should put this all in one post (it seemed huge for one post though).

Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon:

The Turks were not too bad. I started with Choco-mog and got one Turk in Stop, then put the  other to sleep, then used Beta. For some reason I remember wanting these two to die at the  same time (I think it's to get both items).

As for the Titan materia boss, he wasn't bad at all. He has a ton of HP but you can use L4  Suicide to put him in drain status, and slow him to prevent some incoming damage. If you have  trouble taking too much damage, try Sadness.

On the way to Cosmo Canyon, be sure to get Frog Song (as usual). This helps with the Cave of  the Gi in the original FF7 and is damn near essential for the hardcore mod. Also just run  from the big bird enemy here, since it drains all your MP!

Once in the cave, Frog Song destroys the spiders as well as a few other enemies. The only  thing I really had to worry about here was Death Sentence, but I found with the right magic I  was able to kill most things before the end of the timer. Be sure to get Added Effect, as I  used it many times from here on out. I threw an X-Potion at the Gi-Nattak and was shocked  that it worked... but this being a hardcore mod and there not being a save point around, I  didn't feel bad.

Oh, you really should buy 2 HP Plus at Cosmo Canyon. Don't buy an MP Plus like I did and  think you'll be okay with just the one HP plus. You won't. Not having HP Plus on all my  characters repeatedly made my life difficult later on. I was also sure to pick up some  Vagyrisk Claws from the green monkey enemies here, which are a lot easier to get than they  used to be (I got two).

Nibelheim:

I went into the mansion to collect treasure, but found quickly that I couldn't beat Lost  Number, so I came back after going up the mountain. As for the mountain itself, I found that  crowd control was again the way to go - if it's susceptible to a status, get that status on  ASAP! I liked the new enemies that cast Demi spells, as they filled up the limit bar really  fast!

The Dragons here are way OP, as there's no way to survive Cometeo and they open with it (but  this point was brought up many times already). I looked in Proud Clod and they're apparently  level 97 with 250k HP and no status weaknesses, so either mod them yourself or save VERY  often. Luckily, the encounter rate is very low and I think they only appear right after the  save point near Materia Keeper. The other enemies I hated fighting were the ones that drained  MP, but I was able to kill the groups using Choco-mog to stop some of them.

For Materia Keeper, one person got the Bolt Ring, another Elemental-Lightning, and the third  got Mighty Guard to deal with Trine. I also needed two Light Curtains to help with the  physical attacks, which I believe would have oneshot me otherwise. At the end of the battle I  believe he starts countering with Cura, so at this point you might want to let the Poison  finish the job (correct me if I'm wrong here - I know I also beat Godo this way).

Rocket Town:

Finally, the Barrier materia! Barrier/All is at least as important as Restore/All in this  game without the old Big Guard. Barrier is what made the rest of the game possible for me so  far, so make sure to get it! Also get the Yoshiyuki, since it helps a ton with the Wutai  event.

With Barrier in hand I went back to Lost Number. I used Barrier and Choco-mog to stop the  boss, then hit him with Slow and pummeled away with Beta, planning to turn him into his  magical form... but then Cait got his stupid limit break and it was the attack that pushed  him over... into physical form! Luckily I was able to keep Barriers up and pummel away on him  with more Beta and equivalent magic attacks. While here, it's definitely a good idea to get the Question Mark enemy skill as well.

Back to Rocket Town, I noticed you kept Palmer's stats exactly the same - I guess he was  embarassed about the Wall Market :). Before going to Wutai I made sure I had plenty of  Hi-Potions, Phoenix Downs, preferably 5-6 Tents, at least 1-2 of each curtain, and a few  attack items including at least 4 Graviballs and 2 Right arms. The only detour I took was to  steal Right arms, which took about 2 minutes. I also had Aeris' level 3 limits from all the  trips to Fort Condor - Planet Protector was ESSENTIAL for the next part.

Wutai:

First order of business is to get to the beach and steal three Adaman Bangles. The  adamantoises are impossible to kill at this point, but they can be slept and manipulated if  necessary. I opened with Mug to get him to counterattack me for 95% of my health, filling up  all the limit bars. Then I used Planet Protector and Mugged until getting the armor, then I  escaped. Rinse and repeat for three.

With three Adaman Bangles in hand (which nullify Water), I went back to get Aqualung at this  point. I poisoned the harpy straight away and stole the Umbrella (important!). Once Aqualung  went out, I manipulated the harpy, then went to the restroom for the win.

I equipped all characters with Adaman Bangles, then put my highest attack weapons on all  characters. This meant Yoshiyuki for Cloud, Umbrella for Aeris and Seraph Comb for Red XIII.  Even with this setup, the monsters on the way to Wutai ripped me a new one anytime I didn't  have Planet Protector up. The Peace Ring was very helpful for avoiding Berserk from the salamanders, but I stayed away from Ribbons because they also prevent Peerless.

In Wutai, I switched Red XIII for Barret and got Mindblow ready for Rapps. Thankfully, this  strategy still seems to work, as I only took one Aerega from the boss (it costs 50 MP and he  has 600, so you need to drain 551 to avoid that attack). Mindblow, Graviball x3, Right arm x2  and I've got my materia back. The weapons for sale here are quite good and worth the trouble  of the sidequest. Magic Hammer is also an essential ability that you NEED to get on every  E-skill materia you have.

Temple of the Ancients:

I didn't have much trouble at all here. Part of this is because Great Gospel is an amazing  limit break, but even without it both bosses are beatable.

For Red Dragon, I got my team immune to Fire and went to work, poisoning the dragon and  getting Barrier/Haste on my guys. This was the closest thing to tank and spank I encountered  in the mod so far. As for Demons Gate, protection to Ice helped for the Cave-in, but since  most of the damage was physical Barrier won again. I simply used a Soft or Esuna if he tried  to Petrify me. He's also susceptible to slow and wastes several turns moving back and forth,  so there's plenty of time to beat him down. He has 20k health but it goes down surprisingly  fast.

Sleeping Forest:

And now for something a little different. The Kjata/Kujata boss is insanely difficult and  took me at least 15 tries to kill. They have an attack pattern and you can beat it with a  good strategy, but only if they cooperate a bit. To prepare, as much of your team as possible  needs to be immune to Berserk. Get Thunder and Blizzard protection on anyone you can after  this. You also REALLY want DeSpell, but if you don't have it the battle is still doable with  just DeBarrier. I also had a Holy Torch, which uses DeSpell on all enemies.

Once in battle, you need to get Barrier and preferably Haste up on everyone BEFORE they put  Reflect on you. Second, if someone dies, you need to spend the next turn getting them up,  putting Mighty Guard up, and healing that person to full with White Wind. People should die  only before Reflect, so make sure you get the barriers on them before Reflect goes up. If any  of this does not go according to plan, reset.

Once reflect goes up, you need to drain the MP of the two guys in front. At this point they  won't be able to heal themselves, so you can start pounding them with spells and enemy  skills, and dispell Regen if you can. They will still charge you, so you'll need to heal with  White Wind or potions periodically. Definitely prioritize one at a time and make sure you're  healed after the second one dies. Once this happens, Levant will attack and Berserk/Mini one  of your characters, then heal himself with Firaga. Luckily, he loses his crazy defense at  this point, but you basically have one turn to drain 5k HP. The best way to do this is to  reflect Aqualung off your party so it hits him 3x, and have another person use Bahamut for  the win.

Once that's out of the way, go SAVE!!! Then come back and go to the next screen, where you  want to win at least one and preferably two Dazers from the Boundfat enemies. Like all useful  enemies in this mod, they only come paired with difficult, new enemies, so be careful. You  NEED at least one so don't slack off here!

Forgotten City:

First things first, get the well-hidden Enemy Skill materia so you have three of them. Then  extend your side trip to Fort Condor to make sure you get Magic Hammer and White Wind on that  materia. You now have enemy skills on all three members of the team. Keep it equipped and  you'll pick up at least Magic Breath, Trine and Aqualung very soon.

As for Jenova Life, veterans know that you prepare for Water attacks here, so I had two  people equipped with Adaman Bangles and the other with a Water Ring. Unfortunately, this  being a hardcore mod, Blue Light is no longer Water based and it causes nasty statuses!  Luckily, you can protect at least two characters against Sleep (1 Ribbon, one Added  Effect/Seal) while still preventing Water attacks, so it's basically just a matter of  whittling him away while healing damage from Blue Light. If he puts the wrong person to  sleep, attack them or use Esuna. Like most bosses, you can and should get Slow on him.

* START OF DISC 2 *

Yuffie side-quest:

I took a detour to Wutai here to finish the Yuffie pagoda, since I had a feeling the Ice Ring  and Leviathan would be useful. I set Yuffie up with the weapon from the store in Wutai and I  forget which armor (I probably switched back and forth). She got the best Enemy Skill  materia, HP Plus, Poison, Luck Plus for extra crit, Counter Attack, you know the deal. Here's  what I did for the individual bosses.

Gorki: He's weak to wind, so I had Choco-mog/Elemental in Yuffie's weapon. I also had  Destruct on to get rid of his defenses. I started with Mighty Guard, cast Choco-mog, then  poisoned him. You only need to stay above 25% of your Max HP to win. If you have trouble, you  can use Time with or without Added Effect to Slow/Stop him.

Shake: Equip a Peace Ring. Rage Bomber hurts, so make sure you keep Barrier up and stay  alive. Take off Destruct, use Time and Choco-mog to Stop or Slow him, then poison him and  just stay alive. If you have armor with high Pdef% you can dodge Rage Bomber most of the  time.

Chekhov: Use the Jem Ring to prevent Paralyze, and Added Effect/Time on your weapon. He's  annoying in that he drains HP with Absorb and kills your MP with Stare Down. Get Mighty Guard  up, then attack until he stops. At that point poison him and beat the hell out of him. You  need to do 7500 damage before he gets out of stop. Summons and Enemy Skills can help here, so  equip what you need to to kill him.

Staniv: Equip the Protect Vest and Earth/Elemental on your armor. Get Mighty Guard up, poison  him, and stay alive. You should be able to attack him to get healed (if you have level 3  elemental), but I didn't need to and just stuck with the poison/slow/stop then beatdown  strat. He's pretty easy.

Godo: He cannot be stopped, so take off choco-mog. You need to be immune to poison, sleep and  mini, so the easiest way is to use a Ribbon. Unfortunately, that also means no barrier and  haste, but that's how it'll have to be. Get Lightning/Elemental on your armor to prevent  Trine, then get poison and slow on him. The main concern is Beast Sword - if you get hit,  heal up ASAP. It seemed to miss me a few times even though Proud Clod says it has max hit%,  so I'm not sure what's going on. When you have statuses on him, cast Laser until he starts to  cure himself as a counter attack. At this point Defend and heal as necessary until he dies  from the poison. Congrats on beating the pagoda!

Before moving on, you really should have at least 25 Phoenix Downs. I ran out on Schizo and  had to hack in some more to continue.

Great Glacier:

I touched the hot springs, saved in the hut, and went to get my Alexander materia. In the  normal game you fight a basic Snow enemy, but here you fight Snow Queen! You need to protect  all three characters against Ice to mitigate her attacks (Ice Ring, Elemental/Blizzard, and  Dragon Armlet/Mbarrier or a second Elemental/Shiva), but she also has Envy which WILL drain  ALL of your MP. Note that throughout this whole area, you should have your team immune to  Ice, so there shouldn't be much preparation here. How do we deplete 32k HP without much MP?  There are a few choices:

1) Use Laser, T/S bombs, etc and finish off with regular attacks, using Ethers to selectively  get MP back. This is what I did.
2) Cast Death Sentence and go make yourself a sandwich.

Afterwards you have Alexander, which is great if you have problems with the upcoming trash as  some of it is weak to Holy.

Gaea's Cliff:

Cimbing up the cliff I kept having lots of trouble with the Zolokander enemy, which liked to  attack in groups of 4, double attack, and use a poison thing that did 7/8 of my 2.6k hp in  damage. Luckily there's a solution, and it's called Every Status in the Book. So use  Transform/All or Frog Song and make them less threatening. I actually started using these  sleeping frogs as Ethers by Magic Hammering them to full MP! Also watch out for the bomber  guys, which use an attack called Extreme Bomber at low HP that will kill your party one by  one.

As for enemy skills, find a Stilva and manipulate it. Then make it use Magic Breath and Trine  on your party. Then Poison it, use Magic Hammer to get all your MP back, and let it die.  Congrats! The alternative is to somehow do 50k damage to it without dying when its physicals  are a guaranteed two-shot and it can drain all your MP (and it's immune to Gravity, cheater).

Next you'll want to put Ribbons on two characters (you DID get the second one in the cave,  right?) and find a Malboro outside. They have 44k health and can't be manipulated, so how do  we kill that? Lots of ways actually:

1) It's weak to water, so Aqualung and Leviathan work.
2) It is level 72, so L4 Suicide works.
3) It can be slept and slowed/stopped.
4) Death Sentence (+ Haste if you're impatient).

Let it use Bad Breath on you, then kill it. Once you get to the recovery pool, save and kill  two Blue Dragons for extra Dragon Armlets (use Poison then defend a lot). Proud Clod confirms  they cannot be manipulated, so unfortunately you can't get Dragon Force. Save and prepare  for...

Schizo:

This was a very hard battle! You need protection against Fire, Ice, Lighting and Earth to  fully nullify stuff... but this obviously isn't possible. Both heads will use breath attacks  (one uses Fire/Lightning and the other uses Ice/Lightning), as well as a Double Breath that  is non-elemental and puts you in drain status, and Tremor, which does an asston of earth  damage (4.5k). The priority here is the one that will kill you, so I used Elemental/Earth and  Elemental/Titan. As for the third character, I gave her a Dragon Armlet and kept Mbarrier up.  With the Dragon Armlet, not only is all breath damage halfed, but it appears the chance to  remove Mbarrier is also cut in half. I used the Fire Armlet and Bolt Armlet as well as  elemental rings to get as many elemental resistances as possible on my stone-immune  characters. For my Dragon Armlet character, I had the Talisman (+50 Spirit) on.

The boss strategy is fairly simple but subject to some luck. I started with Mbarrier and  reapplied whenever it fell off using Mighty Guard. Between keeping Mbarrier up and  reviving/healing characters (usually with White Wind), I hit the boss with Alexander,  Bahamut, and strong single target attacks on the LEFT head (Fire ok, Ice no-no). I used  Firaga and Comet mainly, but Stonega/Thundaga work too. Aqualung is good but it's slower.

You're not out of the woods after killing one head, but it's a lot easier. This is a good  time to start Mugging the right head in the hopes of getting a Protect Ring. Keep pummeling  away and eventually it'll fall. This is the first battle where my lack of 3 HP Plus was a  real problem. Definitely go back and save after this battle.

Whirlwind Maze:

I walked in about 5 feet and encountered a Gigas. He's got 35k hp and plenty of  vulnerabilities... but he was smashing my face. Berserk and Mini is not a good combination!  But even without any statuses there was no way I could kill one, so I ran. In fact, I ran  from all encounters here except the Wind Wings and Gremlin/Sculpture (which was handled with  Bad Breath).

Next up is Gold Dragon, the Neo-Bahamut boss. Luckily he's all physical attacks except for  his breath, which is Lightning. Through various means I got my whole team immune to Lightning  (and linked Leviathan to a weapon) and went in, and it was just a matter of killing him  before his physical attacks killed me. I started with Barrier/All, Haste/All and Leviathan.  Next round I put Reflect on my whole team and started bouncing Aqualung x3 at him. I did this  four times then put Reflect up again and did it four more times. After that the SOB was still  alive so I pounded away with (single) Aqualungs, Bahamut/Alexander, and water-elemental  attacks. Done and done... but this was just a warmup.

Jenova Death:

According to Proud Clod, he's supposed to cast Silence... but it appears he casts Death  instead? But who cares, all his other attacks are Fire, right? Nope, Red Light is  non-elemental now, and if you don't prepare it does about 4k damage, leading to a one hit KO.  The first time I walked up to him he did Red Light x3 before I could act and killed my party.  Oh yeah, he has 180k HP. So I loaded an old save and bought 2 HP Plus materia and got them  some AP.

No just kidding, I would never go back. I couldn't! It turns out the boss has a few subtle,  but critical, weaknesses that allowed me to kill it. First though, remove all unnecessary  materia, including any summons and any magic not called Barrier, Restore, or Time, or linked  to a blue materia for some effect. You need to prevent Confuse, Silence and Death Sentence,  so Ribbons go on two people and Added Effect/Mystify on the third. If the third is immune  (not 1/2) to Fire, I think it prevents the Silence from Tropic Wind, meaning the boss would  need to use Silence to inflict it. This is a great waste of a turn. On that note, make sure  all characters are immune to Fire and/or Wind. Give an Enemy Skill to each character.

Now we need to make sure at least 2, but preferably all three, characters can survive Red  Light. Whichever character does not have a Ribbon should have a Wizard Armlet and a Talisman  on to pump up Mdef. The other two need to be as high HP as possible... for me, I was only  able to get Cloud up to 3.8k while Tifa was in oneshot territory at 3.1k (she was also the  one without a Ribbon, since she should never get Death Sentence). Yuffie had the high Mdef  setup and sat at 3.4k and she was fine. I forgot Sadness at this point, but in theory that  should reduce all incoming damage by 30% so feel free to give that a try.

When you start the battle, immediately throw a Dazers. If it hits, good job! Haste your team  and start using Magic Breath for ~150MP drain per turn. Slow the boss next turn and keep up  with Magic Breath. When you run out of MP, switch to Magic Hammer, then start alternating the  two and mixing in White Wind when you need to heal. If you have a character that cannot  survive Red Light, throw Mbarrier on her. With haste on you and slow on the boss, you will  get 9 turns to its 1, meaning plenty of time to drain away. If you have more than one Dazers  this is much less risky. You need to drain about 6600 MP.

While most other drainable bosses in this mod were given a 0 MP attack, this one was not, so  once you are done draining the battle is won! Tape down the action button and about 65 turns  later, you will have killed it! Thanks for keeping this boss drainable... it would have been  damn near impossible otherwise!

And that bring me to my current point in the game. I bought 2 HP Plus as soon as I got the Highwind, so hopefully the rest of the game will be a little easier. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: 2011-10-18 19:03:47 by ogd »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1131 on: 2011-10-19 03:05:04 »
That.s some good documentation you got there. Glad you like it!  :-D

A new release is just around the corner.

ogd

« Reply #1132 on: 2011-10-19 21:19:40 »
Damn the corel train event seems to be impossible at my current levels (can't get enough control of Locke/Venus/Theo). Looks like I'm gonna be getting some AP on those HP plus materia and doing some chocobo breeding. :(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: 2011-10-20 01:19:23 »
You have a bug in your code (which will also crash game with your mod) which is crashing touphscript.  Luksy says:

File: las2_3

He removed the materia entity from the field, but forgot to update the script pointer in the save crystal entity.
i.e.
 the save crystal script calls the save script when it's created, but it points to a non-existent entity (25) which doesn'T exsit as there are only 24 (well 25 including 0)
« Last Edit: 2011-10-20 01:22:54 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: 2011-10-21 03:15:25 »
Just dropping by to say the same bug appears in las2_4 too, I've put a small check in touphScript so it won't crash now, but the game will probably crash if anyone tries to use the save crystal in either of those fields.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1135 on: 2011-10-21 03:16:56 »
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'll fix it after work today.

Edit: It will not crash the game, but the save crystal feature will be buggy.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-21 03:26:25 by gjoerulv »

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: 2011-10-21 15:13:03 »
These are my addendums to that guide, these contain easier strategies or corrections to the guide:

Back Row+ Sadness are your friends. Learn to love them. Use them in EVERY boss battle unless otherwise stated.

Air Buster is a lot easier if you just use Tifa as a kamikaze (have her limit break bar full before the battle, then after she uses it she will get her limit bar filled again by the counter attack, then after the second counter she's dead. Then carefully attack his BACK. Whoever is facing its front should just use Defend. Once he can't turn anymore he's toast. You may revive Tifa at this point.

Cover Materia is essential.

Locke/Venus/Theo at the Shinra Building: First, climb up the floors, get the Hardedge from the SOLDIER:3rds, then come back down. Before starting the battle, have Fury on Barret, Sadness+Cover on Tifa, and Steal on Cloud. Fill up your limit breaks and start the battle. Tifa should Defend, Cloud should Cross-Slash Theo, Barret should Mindblow Locke, then Theo, then Venus. After he's done with Mindblow use two Tranquilizers on him. Meanwhile Steal their stuff, get Theo first as he's more than likely the first to die. If you're panicking, just chuck some Loco Weeds at them.

And yes, definitely get the Elemental Materia.

Summons are pretty much worthless to me. Silver Chocobo used that odd attack that has no effect a bunch of time, I think this is probably a bug.

Get Long Range Materia, it is essential.

Get L4 Suicide while you're around here. No way you can get Beta right now. Matra Magic is also useful for the beginning of the game. Steal Ethers from the Kalm Wolves.

Get the HP Plus from the sendoff.

Use Cloud/Red/Aeris for Jenova-Birth. Equip Aeris with the HP Plus and a Headband. Spam Healing Wind over and over again. Cloud should be your main attacker and Red should focus on supporting Cloud/Aeris, using Lunatic High when it's available.

Beta can wait until the Tiny Bronco... nevermind the Zolom.

Laser, Frog Song, White Wind and to a lesser extent Mighty Guard are essential, along with 2 HP Pluses at Cosmo Canyon.

You don't need to wait until Rocket Town to beat Lost Number. Just outside Nibelheim steal 3 Gold Armlets from the Askendimés (a new enemy!).

Get the ???? (question marks) Enemy Skill as it will be one of your best attack tools for most of the game. If a character needs a heal, wait until it's their turn, cast ????, then heal the character. Works wonders.

Then go tackle Lost Number, poison him ASAP. Sometimes you will have to hold on with dealing direct damage in this battle and just wall up and heal.

Get the Counter Attack materia and use it, it's essential.

Go learn Beta at the shores of Bone Village/Temple of the Ancients. It's a new encounter with a Tonadu and three Yptilos (crab-like enemies). Equip fire resistance, frog song everyone except the Yptilos you want to manipulate so it can cast Beta on you. Kill the Tonadu with the Yptilos' other fire-based attack (will deal about 7k to it!) then just pick them off. Much easier than the Zolom.

Get a few items like Right Arms and T/S Bombs then go do the sidequest at Wutai. Aeris' Limit Breaks are NOT essential. Infact, I pretty much stopped using her at this point.

Learn Magic Hammer, which is also essential. Once you're done you have access to the best AP spot for a good while. With double-growth weapons and armor fight the Adamantoises. Manipulate them and Steal (not Mug) the Adaman Bangles, then just make it kill itself with Light Shell (will take a while...). Then you'll get a whooping 1600 AP.  You will come back here later on for some actual Materia leveling, so just focus on the Adaman Bangles AND the Death Force Enemy Skill, which is also essential.

Learn Aqualung. It helps.

After you're done with the Temple of the Ancients, go tackle the Kujata boss. Get some Fire Veils at the Wutai item shop, and Spider Webs from the Kimara Bugs in Gongaga.  Equip one character with a Peace Ring: he/she will be your main attacker. Get some resistance to Ice and Lightining (Fire is not needed as you will see why). Now as soon as the battle starts, cast Barrier+All, then MBarrier+All, then start depleting the Hadadigor (the Ice horse)'s MP with Magic Hammer. If it casts Haste immediately toss a Spider Web their way.

If they cast Reflect on you start healing with White Wind. After Hadadigor's MP is done then start draining Yamigor (the Lighting horse)'s MP. Then after they're both depleted of their MP toss Fire Veils to kill of Hadadigor. Now with one of them gone, kill Levant with ???? with the person that has the Peace Ring equipped. It will only counterattack that character and will not use Levant Wind on everyone, it will just use Charge over and over which won't be as annoying with only one of the horses alive. It has little HP which won't be a problem for the defense-ignoring ????. After Levant's dead the last horse will be a sitting duck. (no pun intended).

Jenova-Life is annoying. I personally killed it by draining all of it's MP. Adaman Bangles are necessary. You might want to get the third Enemy Skill materia first and load it up with useful skills before you try this.

Snow Queen is stupid. Load up on resistance to Ice-elemental attacks (I did not have the Ice Ring yet but I had two 2-star Elemental materias). I had Cloud, Vincent, Cid as my party (can be done with any party, but just to illustrate...). Cloud got killed, Vincent and Cid were confused by Envy... and besides Vincent and Cid hitting each other for a measly 100 hp out of 1500 hp, she couldn't do anything to them. She doesn't have much MP so she pretty much wasted it on them, while they could just keep healing with Potions and Hi-Potions. After she went out of HP, I revived Cloud and killed her for the win.

Learn Bad Breath, Magic Breath, and Dragon Force (either do it legit, by reflecting it, or hack it in since Gjoerulv's said he thought he made the Blue Dragon manipulable.) If you have trouble with the Icicles just use Bad Breath+L4 Suicide when it's Icicle+Bats, and then Laser the Icicle since it's weak to Gravity (Laser + one single point of damage will kill it). If it's Jokers, Bats and Icicle just Laser the Icicle ASAP.

A trick with Magic Breath: as you know, if an attack has multiple elements, if a target absorbs even just one of the elements, it will absorb the attack. So if you absorb one of Fire/Ice/Lightning, Magic Breath will HEAL your MP. It pretty much refilled my whole MP :p

Kill 2 Blue Dragons, get 2 Dragon Armlets, then trek back all the way to the Tiny Bronco. Schizo is definitely the turning point here,  I couldn't just scrap it through by now as I did. So here's what you do: decide on a fixed party for the rest of the game (as usual, Cloud/Barret then choose between Yuffie or Cid), buy 3 HP Plus materias for each character, then wear Double Growth armor and weapons and kill Adamantoises for AP (800exp/800AP/1600AP with double growth, perfect so you don't overlevel), get a few levels and AP (but don't overdo it) with the Sea Worms at the Mideel beaches (cast Bad Breath and L4 Suicide and it's dead). They net 5000exp/500AP/1000AP with Double Growth. I killed so many Adamantoises I actually mastered one set of HP Plus materias.

By this time it's the best time to get Omnislash as the Battle Arena enemies will be the Disc 1 enemies. Give Cloud a Dragon Armlet, Enemy Skill (with the most skills learned, Dragon Force, Death Force, Mighty Guard, Bad Breath, Magic Hammer, White Wind, ????, Frog Song are essential), Counter Attack, the higher leveled HP Plus materias, Restore materia and Destruct materia for DeSpell, plus Mug+Added Cut (ghetto Double Cut). If you manipulate the slots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGNYMHdE4ks) it will be easy to get 10k BP a pop. Also, be sure to buff up with Dragon Force and Death Force on the first battle of the arena, plus wear a Peace Ring, and have plenty of restorative items around (for statuses, Remedies stolen from the Velcher Tasks near Rocket Town are a must)

I also got Angermax for Barret and Doom of the Living for Yuffie. I did the Pagoda by now, probably a bit overlevelled but oh well. Barret should be your tank: Cover+Counter combo is essential, and Yuffie should be your mage, Sprint Shoes work really well because of her naturally high Dexterity.

Take on Schizo, gear up on elemental resists. He'll still be annoying but not as much as before. GET THE PROTECT RING. You'll need it later on.

Gold Dragon: blast it with Laser then kill it ASAP. This battle gets only harder the longer it goes on. Save yourself the trouble.

As for Jenova-Death, gear up on Fire resistance, cast Death Force the first turns, also Added Effect+ Mystify/Peace Ring will be useful. Tropic Wind will heal your MP if you absord Fire! It actually ran out of MP... and as with Jenova-Life, once it does it's harmless.

For the Corel Huge Materia train, you need to be really prepared. I had Cid/Barret/Yuffie. Barret with a Protect Ring. Up battle speed a bit, then just max out battle message speed. Now be prepared for a lot of resets. Get rid of the first set of two enemies ASAP, then get rid of the Wolfmeister with Bad Breath and ????+Aqualung. Then for the Eagle Gun get rid of it with Stop, plus ???? and Thundaga.

Now for Locke/Venus/Theo, they have a long intro so max battle message speed with save you loads of time. Then Bad Breath them, wall up and STEAL THE ESCORT GUARD FROM LOCKE ASAP. There are only 2 in the game! (and one without this mod!) Theo has a Mystile too, but you can get 3 of em anyway. Once you've stole the Escort Guard, finish them off with Limit Breaks and ????.

Phoenix boss, just manipulate one of the birds, have it cast Angel Whisper on your 3 characters so they can learn the Enemy Skill. Now, have someone with a Mastered Cover materia, drain that character's MP, then start draining their MP. Once they're out of MP they will only use an attack that drains MP... but it can be Covered. They cannot drain MP from a character that has 0 MP, so they'll be powerless. If they do have enough MP for an Angel Whisper when they die, they will start to revive eachother, so beware.

Quadra Magic boss: by this time you'll have Cloud and the Highwind, so do the Highwind trick to land on the Quadra Magic peninsula, then go fight it. Equip the Escort Guard on Barret, plus Elemental resists for Fire and Ice. You'll notice that Adamantai's Magic Chain cannot hit Barret: Freeze will heal him, Flare will heal him, Tornado will miss, and Break will miss. Now blast it with Laser: it will start countering with Full Cure when it's at low HP, so just keep using Laser then finish it off with some magic attack.

I'm tired for now, if you people would like any other strategies from me for the rest of the bosses just say so.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-21 16:33:50 by Bosque »

ogd

« Reply #1137 on: 2011-10-21 15:30:03 »
Well I guess I'll go ahead and post what I just wrote for the train event. Those are some great strategies Bosque, I'll be sure to keep those in mind. Unfortunately I didn't get the Escort Guard or Protect Ring, nor did I do battle square with disc 1 enemies... nor did I learn Dragon Force. I guess I could theoretically learn it from the Quadra Magic boss, or I could hack it in, but it seems like it's a necessity for battle square. Also I'll definitely go back to the Adamantoises and get Death Force now... earlier I couldn't figure out how to kill them!

Corel Train:

Before doing this I had to get some levels and AP, so I used the time to breed chocobos. Most  of my random battles between breeding were of the new Sand Worm enemies on the Mideel coast,  which give 500 AP and 8000 g per kill. To kill these, I cast Bad Breath, L4 Suicide, and  Haste on the worm in that order, and then watch them die. I also put double growth weapons on  everyone and got the new HP Plus materia in there (among others). By the time I got on the  train I had between 4.5k and 5.5k HP on all characters. I was about level 50-51.

As for other preparation, I went to Gongaga and morphed two Kimara Bugs into Hourglasses.  This item casts Stop on all enemies and is a huge timesaver for one of the enemies on the  train. I also made sure I had each character resistant or immune to Ice and Lightning, and  all characters immune to Slow and Berserk (two with Ribbons, 1 with Headband and Added  Effect/Mystify). It's also important to have your best magic user have some kind of  reasonably strong (~1.5kish) magic that hits all enemies, and have Demi/All with at least 3x  and Demaga learned on another character. I used Cometeo but Aqualung or Earth/All should also  work just fine.

Now for the train event itself. Each car seems to require either a very overlevelled group or  a very specifc strategy in order to pass it in enough time. Even at 8k HP, many of the  enemies can kill you, which wastes a lot of time. Here is what I did.

Car 1 - Gas Ducter x2: Open with Bad Breath, use Aqualung or other spells to help them kill  themselves.
Car 2 - Wolfmeister x1-2: Open with Frog Song, then use Gravity/Laser three times, then  Aqualung. If you can sneak a mug in before the last aqualung, you might get a Power Source.
Car 3 - Eagle Gun x1: Use Hourglass, use another if it misses. Cast Gravity/Laser and mug it  until its low, then Thundaga. You can get a Warrior Bangle from him.

Car 4 - Locke Venus Theo v2: These guys counter every move you make, wasting a lot of time  and potentially killing you, so you have to kill them with as few moves as possible. Locke  counters with Berserk, Venus with an attack, and Theo with an attack and Thundaga. Open with  L4 Suicide to put Venus and Theo in mini. You'll probably need to heal after their counters  and attacks, so use White Wind. Then you'll want to use Demaga/All, draining 3/4 of each of  their HP bars. At this point they'll use Cura/All, but they do this on their turn (not as a  counter). Wait until your demi user and all-magic user are both ready, then cast Demaga/All  again followed by the all-magic and two of them should die. At this point Theo should be left  since he has more HP, so repeat this same strategy on him (wait for him to cure himself, then  Demaga + strong magic to finish him off). You can steal a Minerva Band from Venus and an  Escort Guard from Locke, but that seems very unlikely. However, getting the Mystile off Theo  at the end is possible, so feel free to go for it if you have time. To be safe, try to finish  this battle with at least 2:00 on the clock.

Car 5 - Attack Squad x1: Kill this speed bump with the strongest attack you have.

vdate

« Reply #1138 on: 2011-10-21 16:01:04 »
Hi there! I registered after being informed of this hack, and while my friends and I (playing in parallel) have not gotten all THAT far (like, maybe to Fort Condor), we have some feedback. (It's worth noting that while we've played the original FF7 extensively, it was some time ago, and we are playing this mod more or less 'blind', which is to say we are only consulting available documentation and GameFAQs available for the unmodded version.)

First, we'd like to congratulate you on basically everything you've done to the material that was already there. The increased encounter difficulty does heavily favour magic over physical attacks in the early game, especially since being in the back row is practically mandatory for survivability's sake, but we're a-OK with that.

On a more specific note, the incredible importance of magic early on means that Silence is basically equivalent to Stopping a character- could you possibly see your way clear to hack in a way to purchase Echo Screens at more shops? It's one thing to require the player to stock up on and use status clearing items, and another thing to just add tedium by requiring that they backtrack through two relatively large zones in order to do so.

Every boss we've encountered so far that has been in the original game has been at least hard enough to keep us on our toes, and sometimes hard enough to ensure that we actually have to set up to prepare, and play smart and careful. Well done.

That's 'the good'. On to 'the bad'. Both of the optional boss fights we've seen thus far have been an example of 'bad difficulty'- they basically require you to successfully hit the variance percentages you need in order to win them. In the case of the Locke/Venus/Theo fight, I understand that Loco Weed is necessary to keep them from ripping your team apart, but the propensity of the item to miss means that it's possible to have Loco Weed affect few enough targets that they can clear the confusion and kill your team before you have a chance to try again. (We have not been doing any real amount of level grinding- most of our item stock has come from incidental drops as we've been going through the game. I assume this was the intent.)

The Silver Chocobo fight, due to bugs, is somewhat 'all or nothing'- if it uses Deathblow! and paralyzes two or more party members (or one party member, being Aeris) then it's often a question of prayer whether the party can get healed before it uses Deathblow! again. It can also use Deathblow! twice in a row, which is actually unsurvivable by a party that has not been particularly leveled on the way to this point. (It would be a different story if you had a wind element to link to the Elemental materia on your armour, but to the best of my knowledge you don't.) If its other move did anything at all, the fight would be basically impossible to win on one's first visit to the Chocobo Ranch. As it is, like the Venus/Theo/Locke fight, it's purely down to luck.

To recap, as far as we can tell, all the plot bosses can be dealt with by a modicum of preparation (often involving foreknowledge, but hey, it's a hard mode hack, that's assumed) and playing like you've got a brain. This is good. A party, having obtained an average amount of experience for every zone to that point, could, provided proper preparation, beat that boss on their first try. (In reality this will not be the case because ramming into the boss a couple of times is required to gather the information to properly prepare.)

On the other hand, Venus/Theo/Locke and the Silver Chocobo, even with an appropriate amount of preparation, seem to have the deciding element in the fight be whether the random number generator decides to be your friend on that attempt or not. This removes the question of player agency from the equation; overcoming the 'difficult' encounter just becomes a matter of how many times you are willing to try it.

In the case of the Silver Chocobo, I'd almost say 'fair enough' to it being infeasibly tough when you encounter it. It's an optional piece of materia that you can come back for later. Venus/Locke/Theo, on the other hand, are basically unforgivable, since the keycard chest that triggers their encounter is absolutely required to proceed in the game, and the battle comes principally down to luck.

Perhaps we are being total scrubs and overlooking the obvious in both cases, and were it later in the game, I would be more likely to call this the case. However, as early in the game as the Shinra Tower, when the options available to the player are so strongly limited, I question whether this is true.

I don't mean to come off as condescending or as attacking you, and if I do I apologize in advance. I'm labouring each point just so that our thoughts and logic on the matter are clear and don't seem unfounded. All in all, we are absolutely adoring the mod thus far, as it gives us a good, fair, skill-rewarding challenge to supplant a game we loved dearly during our teenage years. It also gives us a reason to rediscover all the little things that made FF7 such a game-changer with respect to all JRPGs, and marvel at them anew. I've, since starting the game, laughed at the personality that drips from Cloud's snarky 'yes/no' choice options, marveled at the dystopic design of Midgar and the oppressive darkness of the setting, and smiled at the old iconic lines and shots I had half-forgotten. We suggest that you rebalance your added bosses to bring them more in line with the rest of the mod and to reward skill over luck so that the joy we experienced at your changes to existing content can carry over to your original content as well.

Thank you for your time, both invested the mod so far, and in anticipation of any time you might give this post.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: 2011-10-21 16:41:15 »
The increased encounter difficulty does heavily favour magic over physical attacks in the early game, especially since being in the back row is practically mandatory for survivability's sake, but we're a-OK with that.

On a more specific note, the incredible importance of magic early on means that Silence is basically equivalent to Stopping a character- could you possibly see your way clear to hack in a way to purchase Echo Screens at more shops? It's one thing to require the player to stock up on and use status clearing items, and another thing to just add tedium by requiring that they backtrack through two relatively large zones in order to do so.

I beg to differ: Cloud with Long Range equipped is pretty good. Most of my damage in the early game came from him, and Silence certainly did not feel as deadly as Stop.

In the case of the Locke/Venus/Theo fight, I understand that Loco Weed is necessary to keep them from ripping your team apart, but the propensity of the item to miss means that it's possible to have Loco Weed affect few enough targets that they can clear the confusion and kill your team before you have a chance to try again. (We have not been doing any real amount of level grinding- most of our item stock has come from incidental drops as we've been going through the game. I assume this was the intent.)

I barely did grind for them (got one level so Tifa could have a bit more HP). And when I got through them, I didn't know Loco Weeds even worked. My strategy for that fight is right up there. They are definitely not down to luck, and most of my difficulty in that fight was managing to Steal their stuff.  It's actually rather easy when you know what you're doing.

The Silver Chocobo fight, due to bugs, is somewhat 'all or nothing'- if it uses Deathblow! and paralyzes two or more party members (or one party member, being Aeris) then it's often a question of prayer whether the party can get healed before it uses Deathblow! again. It can also use Deathblow! twice in a row, which is actually unsurvivable by a party that has not been particularly leveled on the way to this point. (It would be a different story if you had a wind element to link to the Elemental materia on your armour, but to the best of my knowledge you don't.) If its other move did anything at all, the fight would be basically impossible to win on one's first visit to the Chocobo Ranch. As it is, like the Venus/Theo/Locke fight, it's purely down to luck.

Excluding the 'being down to luck' part which I disagree, I do agree the Silver Chocobo fight could use a bit more tuning.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: 2011-10-21 20:30:42 »
Bosque & ogd impressive :D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.5
« Reply #1141 on: 2011-10-22 02:53:06 »
New release bitches! I made the lvl 4 limit breaks ignore defence. I dunno if it was a 100% smart move, but it will make anything other than Coin usefull in the end lol (no, there are other usefull tricks too). This is because some bosses use the Hero Drink trick, which is annoying. Omnislash + Hero Drinks is now definitely the best move. Summons are less useless.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: 2011-10-22 02:55:21 »
Oh man now you're talking! ;D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1143 on: 2011-10-22 04:27:30 »
@vdate
Thanks for trying it. A agree the silver chocobo is broken.
And I noticed I uploaded the wrong files lol. The correct one will be uploaded soon. Please wait a sec. There is a minor difference in scene.bin.

Edit: uploaded the correct one. Sorry 'bout that. :P
« Last Edit: 2011-10-22 05:25:44 by gjoerulv »

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: 2011-10-22 10:33:53 »
summons are less useless. LOOOOL you are so right!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1145 on: 2011-10-22 11:22:12 »
Which enemies AI did you tweak beside the Dragon?
Also, care to give a short list of what the bugs you fixed were? I am running my own version that is based on 1.04 but I don't want to lose hundreds of hours of editing
« Last Edit: 2011-10-22 11:24:54 by KuugenTheFox »

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: 2011-10-22 12:33:02 »
I agree on the bug list.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: 2011-10-22 14:04:45 »
Will your mod work if you create a Wallmarket patch for your kernels and a Proud Cloud patch for your scene; then apply those patches to the Hardcore Mod 1.05 files and validate the lookup table?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1148 on: 2011-10-22 15:03:59 »
@Posted by: KuugenTheFox
The Silver Chocobo AI. Not luck dependable anymore.
The dragon start the fight with a counter stance. It only attacks if you attack it. After 5 turns it changes to actions. If you attack it, it randomly changes to counters for 5 turns, and so on.

Other from the top of my head:
Blue and red Dragon's attacks. Blue in maniable for easier dragon force (so you don't have to reflect it). I also think I changed blue's items. Doorbull's attacks. Demon Gate's attacks. More HP on Schizo's. Magnade attacks. Carry Armor attacks. Killbin HP, attacks, items(?) and AP. Under Lizard attacks. Gremlin attacks. Sculture's attacks. Kelzmelzer attacks. Jemnezmy attacks...

That is all I remember now.

Fixes: As DLPB and luksy found out there were bugs in 3 of the field files I updated: las2_3, las2_4 and las3_2. I removed one materia from each of these fields. I forgot that all fields in the crater have a "mk_save" entity that point to the main script in the "save" entity (upon creating a save via save crystal). This caused the save point to be invisible upon creation + more buggy effects, but nothing severe. I simply changed a pointer in each of these (mk_save entities) to point to the right script; not a non-existing script.

@PitBrat
I have no idea. If the patch method is good it'll work; I've never tested it. It sounds like it should work.

ogd

« Reply #1149 on: 2011-10-23 16:07:26 »
I gotta ask cuz I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out - how do you kill Qwims? I'm totally lost.