Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1091408 times)

Jayke

Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.5
« Reply #1325 on: 2012-03-23 19:11:15 »
Hey guys,

I feel really stupid for asking this, but is there a way to uninstall this mod? Doesn't it overwrite the original vanilla?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #1326 on: 2012-03-23 19:13:56 »
generally the best way is to restore the backup of your files that you made before you installed the mod.

Jayke

« Reply #1327 on: 2012-03-23 19:19:55 »
Thanks for the quick response, I'm pretty sure I've lost my original files, since I messed around with other backups - are they archived anywhere?

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #1328 on: 2012-03-23 19:53:05 »
Thanks for the quick response, I'm pretty sure I've lost my original files, since I messed around with other backups - are they archived anywhere?

sorry idk about this mod in particular, i was just giving you some general advice.

Jayke

« Reply #1329 on: 2012-03-23 19:59:10 »
Ok thanks anyway, I had a look around the ff7 directory and I do see some files that haven't been changed recently, however I'm not sure which ones to touch >_<

Maybe a reinstall would just be simpler xD

Jayke

« Reply #1330 on: 2012-03-23 20:39:38 »
Sorry for double post, got it working by renaming the necessary patched files with the n_ ones, my weekend is sorted!!

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: 2012-03-24 08:05:22 »
I'm pretty sure the installer for this has a revert option... :/ Just sayin'...

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: 2012-03-24 10:31:41 »
I think I found a bug in a battle at shinra 65e floor (the one where you first encounter Venus, Locke and Theo).

In one of the random battles, you fight a hammer blast and two sword dance. The battle "crashes" each time I kill the hammer blaster first. If I kill one of the sword dance first, it's fine.

I put "crashes" in quotation marks because the battle freezes, as if the script was waiting for something. I can give orders to my characters, but nothing happens (as if someone was going to attack, but the attack never comes, so basically I can't continue the fight and have to alt+f4).

I'm using last version of this mod, Aali's driver, and that's all. I have a savegame where the first random encounter is always this specific battle, I can send it to you if it helps.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: 2012-03-24 17:24:25 »
Im on the bit on Disc 1 where i raid Sector 5 and i must say Air Buster is so f***in hard! his attacks are just too bloody strong any help?
Cloud lvl 11, Barret lvl 11, Tifa lvl 9 + i cheated and put at least 2 guard sources on each and 5 luck sources on each with Black chocobo and having a hard time :/

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: 2012-03-24 17:47:35 »
I killed him using mainly limits. Use your limits on back attacks and he will take about 600 hp each time. He has 5000 hp.
Be careful, you can "back attack" him when he attacked someone on the other side, not when he turns around. I mean, he can be facing you and still receive a back attack: what matters is the last person he attacked.

When you are not using your limits, just heal yourself. Don't attack him using bolt or normal attacks, it is not powerful enough compared to limits, and you receive counter-attacks when doing so, which means extra-healing...

It's a shame you already cheated, though... You are not supposed to "give up" that early :p

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: 2012-03-24 19:53:10 »
I killed him using mainly limits. Use your limits on back attacks and he will take about 600 hp each time. He has 5000 hp.
Be careful, you can "back attack" him when he attacked someone on the other side, not when he turns around. I mean, he can be facing you and still receive a back attack: what matters is the last person he attacked.

When you are not using your limits, just heal yourself. Don't attack him using bolt or normal attacks, it is not powerful enough compared to limits, and you receive counter-attacks when doing so, which means extra-healing...

It's a shame you already cheated, though... You are not supposed to "give up" that early :p
Hmm hey thanks this seems like it could work kos i was wondering about how that counter attack occurs, well cheers will do this next time i play and well i would'nt say i am cheating lol think of it as some help since i didn't over do it and make them too powerful or give them stuff they're not meant to get yet ;)

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: 2012-03-24 20:20:38 »
One way to deal some nice damage to Air Buster is save some Bolt Plumes from the first reactor. You can win them off those Sweepers, which when you encounter them alone, are fairly easy to beat. (And when you encounter them with others, you use a Bolt Plume to one hit KO all enemies, and you win another one off them plus EXP and maybe a couple of Potions).

That aside, back attack him with Limit Breaks. I do think Bolt is worth casting when you don't have limits, though. But only have one person using it, the other two should be ready to cast Cure as needed.

Really, I think my one piece of advice for this mod is don't underestimate white (healing) magic in it. Its usefulness is limited at best in vanilla, but it's very hard to live without here. You want Restore-All on everyone ASAP, and whenever possible put the combination into a double or triple growth piece of equipment, certianly never on a None (unless they're already mastered). Revive-All and Heal on at least one character is also pretty much essential, again, you want to be levelling these up ASAP. I wouldn't go out of my way to put All with Heal, but once you get Mega-All you may as well put Heal on the character you give Mega-All to. (This is mostly because against anything that can status everyone at once, you're probably going to want to be dealing with it via Resist rather than Esuna anyway, and Resist can't be all'd). You also want to learn White Wind as soon as possible; you can get away with dropping some of the Alls on your restores once you have it (but I'd reccomend still keeping at least one Restore-All combo, if nothing else for Regen-All). Do keep in mind that you still want to have Heal once you get White Wind, because in this mod White Wind no longer heals most status effects (except for Sleep and Confusion). However, if you're using Resist, make sure you cast any positive statuses you want (mostly Sadness, Haste and Regen, barriers have limited usefulness against bosses where you need Resist as they run out) before you cast Resist as it also makes the target immune to *positive* statuses too (Dragon Force and Hero Drink still work after resist, though).

...on that note, I actually have a minor technical question. If you cast Resist and then Death Force on a character already under Death Sentence, they won't die when the death sentence runs out... but what causes this? Does Death Force still work even under resist, or does Resist just protect against death too? (I always thought it didn't, but I haven't actually checked.)
« Last Edit: 2012-03-24 20:36:31 by LJH »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1337 on: 2012-03-25 01:34:47 »
I think I found a bug in a battle at shinra 65e floor (the one where you first encounter Venus, Locke and Theo).

Yup, a bug. I can't remember  putting a hammer blaster in this fight. I think I may have added an encounter... Thank you for noticing.

@e1sunz
LJH posted something helpful above. Cure on all characters is a must at this stage. Only attack him from behind with limits. Everyone should stand by healing (eventually defending). I find that on some occasions the big damage from behind doesn't happen, but it's still the best strategy. Remember that it counter attacks.

@Jayke
The installer has a "restore backups" button. If you made backups when you patched you'll get a list of available files when you click it. Unless if there only are 1 backup of all/some of the files available. In that case you'll simply have to confirm (I think I did it like that). And, obviously, if you did not back up the files you can't restore them.

@LJH
I know what you mean by "glass cannon". Still, I feel some battles have to be this way to avoid an overkill of strategy. However I'm not satisfied with these enemies yet. I must admit.
I wouldn't classify  The soldiers as "glass cannons" though.
Remember, some people complain about too much HP on the enemies.

Since there is a bug there will be a fix. Do people still get that glitch against Mighty Grunts? I was never able to reproduce it.

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: 2012-03-25 07:19:45 »
Which mighty grunt glitch? I could not find any in pages >= 50

Maybe you are talking about this glitch where you win the battle but there was no death animation? It happened to me when they don't "morph" to their second form.
If you want me to check some known issues, since I'm starting the mod all over again (right now I'm leaving midgar), tell me.

EDIT : btw, what's wrong with Reno? He is damn too easy! I mean, I understand why you made an easy Aps (long cutscene), but you can save right before Reno, and he only has 1k hp? Hell houses have 1450 and you kill them easily with only Cloud and Aeris, plus they hit harder than Reno... Seriously?
Hojo's specimen is also too easy if you grabbed all the accessories available so far (they all prevent from poison, that means only RedXIII can take heavy damage in this fight).
Other bosses are OK, you can't make fights too hard at this point of the game anyway since you don't have enough materias or items to come up with a decent strategy.
But please fix Reno ;)

LAST EDIT : do you have some kind of "level planning"? I mean, at which level are you expecting players to beat each boss? Right now I left Midgar, my party is lvl13 to 15, was wondering if it was too high or too low?
« Last Edit: 2012-03-25 12:55:32 by Blah »

Jayke

« Reply #1339 on: 2012-03-25 10:04:11 »
@Jayke
The installer has a "restore backups" button. If you made backups when you patched you'll get a list of available files when you click it. Unless if there only are 1 backup of all/some of the files available. In that case you'll simply have to confirm (I think I did it like that). And, obviously, if you did not back up the files you can't restore them.

Yeah I did that but I messed up the backups so I was just restoring the same setup.

All has been fine so far, however I've hit a bump! When I try to enter the rocket at Rocket town I crash, the APP file displays this:

Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
UNEXPECTED: zero count
GLITCH: missed palette write to external texture field/rcktbas2/rcktbas2_15
WM_CLOSE
ERROR: unhandled exception

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: I went to the directory where that message displayed, and saw that each image had a _00 after it, and since the message didn't display that I went ahead and deleted the _00 from rcktbas2_15, I then tried again and got the same crash however the log file displayed the same error but with rcktbas2_16, so I repeated the process and it wanted the same for 17 too so I did it.

After doing this the crash was still the same, but the log showed this:

Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
UNEXPECTED: zero count
ERROR: unhandled exception

So my stab in the dark proved unsuccessful! I've restored the rcktbase2_ that I edited.

EDIT: fixed by reinstalling mods, on to the next one xD
« Last Edit: 2012-03-26 20:33:53 by Jayke »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: 2012-03-25 14:37:38 »
Cheers Blah and LJH i finally managed to beat it ;D this boss took me at least 3 whole days man i suck :/, any tips on how to spot patterns?

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #1341 on: 2012-03-25 15:50:45 »
...on that note, I actually have a minor technical question. If you cast Resist and then Death Force on a character already under Death Sentence, they won't die when the death sentence runs out... but what causes this? Does Death Force still work even under resist, or does Resist just protect against death too? (I always thought it didn't, but I haven't actually checked.)

Resist prevents Death Force and Death, so Resist protects against the instant death status caused by Death Sentence.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: 2012-03-25 17:49:49 »
Anyone up for making a strategy guide for the Hardcore mode?
here is an official strategy guide for vanilla ff7
http://www.mediafire.com/?tlgeu4561u61qx4 if only someone could so something similar and yes it would take time but for this mod it would be perfect as it is much needed :)

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: 2012-03-25 18:13:03 »
There is already a strategy guide for the Hardcore Mod within this thread.
The Hardcore Guide starts HERE.
You'll have to read through a few posts to get the entire guide.
I've included a compiled version of the guide with Bootleg.
It's located in the game folder after installing Bootleg:
    ..\Original_Readmes_Bootleg\Hardcore_Guide.txt

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: 2012-03-25 18:33:06 »
Thanks Pitbrat never knew there was one in there :) should come in handy

teniaava

« Reply #1345 on: 2012-03-29 17:07:32 »
Re: Airbuster, he is always facing the way he just attacked.  Which means everything is fine, except for Rear Gun.  When he uses Rear gun, he is actually facing the opposite direction of how he appears.  So following that attack, you'd want to attack him from the opposite side of the person that was hit.

And for the bug with the hammer blaster on 65th floor of the Shinra Building, I found a work around.  Just kill the two other enemies before the hammer blaster and it won't freeze after his death.  Helpful for not adding resets as Theo/Locke/Venus kcik your ***

Great mod so far btw, really enjoying it

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1346 on: 2012-04-01 07:50:56 »
Good news everyone. Sqeenix contacted me the other day. They said they're gonna remake ff7 for the PS4!! And there is gonna be an option to play with my mod in it.  8)
They're gonna pay me a hefty amount of cash. I'll finally be rich lol. $$$

A user on youtube uploaded a clip from a squeeny press conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ0knsGUHmQ

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: 2012-04-01 09:31:54 »
Hehe, too much good news for one post :)

I should attend to a square press conference someday, it seems to be highly entertaining :)

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #1348 on: 2012-04-01 14:01:38 »
Good news everyone.

I hate April...   ::)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile