Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1091260 times)

wussupwussup

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.6 FF7 PC
« Reply #1475 on: 2012-10-26 23:24:16 »
The final fight with locke venus and theo in midgar is REALLY kicking my ass, any tips? I can't even seem to get a turn off...

I have barret as my tank with 10khp, maxed cover, peace ring, tranq, and backrow and they just destroy me before I get more than 2 turns.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-26 23:29:35 by wussupwussup »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1476 on: 2012-10-28 17:41:23 »
Hey gjoerulv, first of all, amazing work on this mod! FF7 is probably my favorite FF game but always wished it was a little harder.
I've just started using the bootleg and finally got everything to work. But because i have to run FF7 through the FF7Music application (otherwise the music mods from finalfantim don't seem to work) i am unsure if my game is actually currently in hardcore mode.
Is there any definite way to tell in the early stages of the game if it is indeed the hardcore mode? any specific enemies that do something completely different? I know you said you didn't up the difficulty very much at the beginning, but would love for a way to tell if it's actually working.

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks! If you remember how difficult it was originally, it should be pretty self evident that it's harder. You may encounter a new enemy I made in a random battle before the guard scorpion. It's name is robot.

The final fight with locke venus and theo in midgar is REALLY kicking my ass, any tips? I can't even seem to get a turn off...

I have barret as my tank with 10khp, maxed cover, peace ring, tranq, and backrow and they just destroy me before I get more than 2 turns.

They counter almost everything TWICE, that's why it seems they are getting many turns. 1 Strategy would be to not attack them, just counter (8 counter attack materias help). Buffing up with dragon force twice on every character helps a lot. Do not attack them unless you're properly buffed.

Croyles

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: 2012-10-29 16:21:59 »
Thanks! If you remember how difficult it was originally, it should be pretty self evident that it's harder. You may encounter a new enemy I made in a random battle before the guard scorpion. It's name is robot.

Thank you, it was indeed on normal difficulty, I would have noticed straight away had it been on Hardcore It is not an issue anymore however as everything that i had problems with before now works using the bootloader, so I am playing on hardcore.

I am currently up to the Gold Saucer and enjoying the new difficulty immensely. I only have 1 minor gripe so far, and that is the erratic difficulty spikes (the first Jenova fight for example), but i was so happy when i managed to beat it (using all my ethers and bolt plumes etc in the process though). Nothing I can complain about, it's a mod made by 1 guy giving it out for free (and doing a fantastic job at that), so i am very grateful! :)

I am wondering, did you change the kill counts for learning new limit levels? It seems no matter how many enemies Cloud finishes off, he just won't learn Blade Beam, while my Tifa and Red XIII have already learnt their 4th limit breaks quite a while back. I think originally it is 80 or 120 kills with Cloud before he learns Blade Beam, I am pretty sure I have killed way more than that (i was level 24 when i started trying and am now level 33).
Did you change anything related to that?
I am using Ifrit on Cloud to finish off the monsters outside the Gold Saucer in one go. I checked on websites and everyone says that Summons DO count towards the kill count but i am starting to have doubts.

UPDATE!!!!!! Just to check if something was wrong, I switched back to normal mode for 1 fight to see if it was bugged. And guess what, i got both Blade Beam and Meteorain by just killing one enemy, without even first getting Climhazzard, so there must of been some kind of bug in the game.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-29 17:14:13 by Croyles »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1478 on: 2012-10-29 22:03:16 »
Cloud starts with more kills to make his buster sword do normal damage. I changed the damage formula on it. Meaning if you convert back to normal mode he'll get  blade beam and metoerain right away.

I don't know why your Cloud does not learn it in hard mod though. It should work like normal. Do you combine this mod with other which alter the kernel?

Croyles

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: 2012-10-31 00:35:09 »
Cloud starts with more kills to make his buster sword do normal damage. I changed the damage formula on it. Meaning if you convert back to normal mode he'll get  blade beam and metoerain right away.

I don't know why your Cloud does not learn it in hard mod though. It should work like normal. Do you combine this mod with other which alter the kernel?

I have heard it many times before but i still don't have a clue what a kernel is, so couldn't tell you lol.
I had a few mods selected on the bootleg install so maybe one of the messed with my game. It seemed that the limit breaks were literally stuck, because i tried loading the game on Normal (without getting into a fight) save and then reload on Hardcore, and i got both limit breaks after killing one enemy. I know I wasn't literally 1 enemy away from getting any limit break because i had more fights a while ago without saving.

Anyway, its not a problem anymore so not too worried, seemed like it was quite a unique fault.

I was so annoyed when I realized you had majorly debuffed Mighty Guard, but after a while I realized how stupidly overpowered that enemy skill was to begin with. I'm glad i didn't know how to get it the first time i played FF7.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1480 on: 2012-11-01 16:44:14 »
The kernel contains static data, like weapon and armour stats. Materia ap levels, starting items, kills needed for limits, stat curves, etc.

Alathon

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: 2012-11-11 18:38:49 »
Hi there,

Thanks for such an awesome mod. Its been a long time since I played FF7, but this has given me the motivation to dust it off :)

I have a question about the Theo/Locke/Venus encounter in Shinra HQ, though. I'm level 14 with Cloud/Tifa/Barret, and I've managed to steal 3 carbon bangles and a Hardedge from the 67th floor. And even starting with limit breaks, mindblowing Locke, cross-slashing Theo etc, I still basically get ripped a new one. Am I vastly underlevelled?

ShadowzI

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: 2012-11-12 16:02:45 »
Is there plans to be adding anymore new bosses?
REcently dusting off some Final Fantasy games I saw Gilgamesh with the fake buster sword and I was like.
OMG Cloud should totally battle Gilgamesh.
So yeah... Any Gilgamesh side story plans to be inserted?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1483 on: 2012-11-12 16:48:24 »
There don't seem to be any plans to extend this mod further ( at least there were none when I asked a while ago ) but I'm ready to stand corrected.
There is no gilgamesh battle model in this, so that'd need to have to be created from scratch. The current additional mobs aren't entirely new models

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1484 on: 2012-11-13 16:08:40 »
I have a question about the Theo/Locke/Venus encounter in Shinra HQ, though. I'm level 14 with Cloud/Tifa/Barret, and I've managed to steal 3 carbon bangles and a Hardedge from the 67th floor. And even starting with limit breaks, mindblowing Locke, cross-slashing Theo etc, I still basically get ripped a new one. Am I vastly underlevelled?

They're beatable at that lvl. Have you tried to confuse 'em with loco weeds? The enemies there drop it.

@ShadowzI
I have no current plans for this mod. I'm still young (kinda) though. You'll never know. I have fixed another bug not released yet. The "mighty grunt death" bug.

Alathon

• View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: 2012-11-13 18:25:50 »
They're beatable at that lvl. Have you tried to confuse 'em with loco weeds? The enemies there drop it.

Yeah. I managed to beat them with 3-4 Loco weeds. Was just bummed out that I didn't really feel like I had time to steal from them, or I'd get pruned :) But ah well!

tylerkschrute

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: 2012-11-15 23:35:50 »
Replaying through this mod again. MUCH easier the second time through since I knew how to prepare. The first Locke battle though is still scary. If you don't have a decent supply of loco weeds you're basically cooked. Also gonna try to actually beat the KotR boss and Omega this time.

Something I noticed though: a couple of the battles you encounter around midgar (specifically, one with a devil ride and kalm fang and another one with kalm fang and I believe the bandits) are kinda screwy. The devil ride is stationed almost right in front of the characters yet is labeled as back row, and if you try to attack him it says "can't reach". Any thoughts on this? Pretty sure it's related to this mod because this is the only thing I have that alters the .scene files.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1487 on: 2012-11-15 23:58:29 »
I looked at that as well. Something changes the row data of that devil ride to 16 ( aka 10 hex ) which is 'can't reach'
As for the postion, thats just enemy object position data being a bit weird

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1488 on: 2012-11-17 13:24:07 »
It's in scene8. The devil ride's position and row is all 0xFFFF. There used to only be 1 devil ride in this battle, but apparently I added a kalm fang at some point. I can't remember doing it... 

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: 2012-11-19 02:34:56 »
I'm thinking of tackling this on a No EXP run. Wish me luck if I do end up trying it, but first I need to see if FFVII runs on this craptastic laptop integrated graphics card...

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: 2012-11-21 12:56:41 »
This isn't FF8, a No-EXP isn't possible. It would be possible if you edited every single enemy (or boss, if you prefer) to give 0 XP.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: 2012-11-22 01:56:09 »
This isn't FF8, a No-EXP isn't possible. It would be possible if you edited every single enemy (or boss, if you prefer) to give 0 XP.

You can just easily edit everyone to give out 0 exp with Hojo. I've done it before.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1492 on: 2012-11-22 03:34:07 »
Easier to do it with proudclod than hojo

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1493 on: 2012-11-22 04:58:46 »
Is there a way to just add the new enemies without boosting the diffficulty?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1494 on: 2012-11-22 05:17:17 »
in theory? yes. but its really annoying
you'd have to make several softened up versions of the hardcore only enemies since they only come as 'hardcore' difficulty
I'm not gonna do that and I'm not sure Gjoe will bother either

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1495 on: 2012-11-22 14:06:29 »
Is there a way to just add the new enemies without boosting the diffficulty?

It's quite easy to use Proud Clod to adjust the difficulty. It just takes time.
I may do this sometime, but don't wait for it too badly. Actually, I originally intended to.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: 2012-11-22 14:11:03 »
I have begun to do this before. I gave up because I lacked the patience to go through 250-or-so scenes and about 600 enemies. If you DO have the patience, then go for it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1497 on: 2012-11-22 17:10:24 »
1) find scenes with new enemies
2) export scenes
3) take vanilla scene
4) import scenes
5) adjust enemies

done

No need to go through 600 enemies

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: 2012-11-22 17:18:24 »
Didn't think of that at the time. Will definetly be faster.

Croyles

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: 2012-11-22 19:31:39 »
How are you supposed to beat KOTR? I kill him so many times until he uses Vagrant on everyone for 30000 damage, instantly killing everyone.