Author Topic: FF Pixel Remaster  (Read 5990 times)

Aavock

• View Profile
FF Pixel Remaster
« on: 2021-06-30 19:18:41 »

Release date
    • Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III
      July 28th, 2021
    • Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI
      Coming soon, 2021

E3 2021 Teaser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5evm8hjmt8Y
    https://square-enix-games.com/news/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster

Square-Enix presentation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6p8i-L57sY
    Includes Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu interviews.

Key Features
    • Universally updated 2D pixel graphics, including the iconic FINAL FANTASY character designs created by Kazuko Shibuya, the original artist and current collaborator.
    • Beautifully rearranged soundtrack in a faithful FINAL FANTASY style, overseen by original composer Nobuo Uematsu.
    • Improved gameplay, including modernized UI, auto-battle options, and more!
    • Dive into the world of the game with supplemental extras like the bestiary, illustration gallery, and music player.
    • These games are newly developed remaster editions based on the original titles. Some of the changes and additional elements found in other remakes of these games are not included.

Steam Bundle
    Final Fantasy I~VI
    • This bundle lets you purchase all six games from FINAL FANTASY 1 to FINAL FANTASY 6 at a discount price. It also contains a special soundtrack, featuring three tracks from each game and two unique wallpapers for each game.

Steam screenshots
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: 2021-06-30 19:30:21 by Aavock »

Aavock

• View Profile
    « Last Edit: 2021-07-04 02:00:32 by Aavock »

AuthenticM

• View Profile
    Re: FF Pixel Remaster
    « Reply #2 on: 2021-07-06 15:33:19 »
    Would there be any interest from the modding community here to tackle these games by giving them a new and better font? I'm really loving everything about these remasters except for the font. It needs a pixel font to go with the rest of the pixel look.

Aavock

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 2021-07-08 00:55:43 »
    Exactly, this squished font has been a major concern since day one for a lot of people, for now we have to wait for the official release to get a glimpse of the games files. I'm in for redrawing a pixel font but the games will probably use a regular *.ttf (just like Final Fantasy IX). We'll see...

Edit:
    Funny... The japanese version got it right.

« Last Edit: 2021-07-08 01:05:57 by Aavock »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
      • View Profile
      • WM/PrC Blog
    « Reply #4 on: 2021-07-08 03:01:49 »
    Pretty much every Japanese font is fixed-width. The higher the resolution the more detail you can put into the kanji. I’ve seen FF7’s Jap font and its characters are so small and ambiguous (though context would make them obvious). They’re all 24x24 pixels and with 48x48 you can get way better looking characters. When you translate that size into a variable width font with too small space between the characters it ends up looking squished. Just increase that blank space from 0 padding to 2 px on the menus and the problem would probably resolve itself.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 2021-07-12 05:18:23 »
    I don't understand why they didn't just do all off ff1-6 in the PSP style of 1,2,4 it was BEAUTIFUL. My ff4 on psp is 12 years old and looks better than this and is arguably just as faithful to the original design. Seems lazy, so are they just adjusting the pixels for hd on the main characters or all characters/enemies/backgrounds in world/battle? I bet it's just the main characters. FF4 psp they upgraded EVERYTHING and added new content and rebalanced difficulty, and added CGI Cutscenes, though the new content wasn't great at least it was something and the other stuff was great.

Aavock

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2021-07-28 17:35:16 »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2021-07-30 04:16:24 »
    Well, it took less than 10 minutes for someone to fix the font.

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/11522-how-to-fix-that-awful-font-in-the-final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-games-on-pc

So the games are out. Turns out I was right. The sprites are certainly better than the FFV/FFVI sprites we got a few years ago at least stylistically. The psp sprites which are a decade or more old are still better. The music is awesome, the font looks horrible, but like Aavock said you can switch it to the files the Japanese have, they aren't as incompetent as western devs. It's a decent remaster so far but if you have the psp versions I don't see the point, except for 3. The psp versions were designed to run at 480p I believe and even with crap TV upscaling they still look better than this remaster's. Don't get me wrong this remasters sprites aren't bad, they are decent, it's just the PSP ones were better. Especially FFIV on PSP was AMAZING graphically/sprite wise. I guess we'll see when the pixel remaster IV releases but I doubt it will be topped with this style, and VI will probably be better than the style we have now at least.

I remember being told a good amount of money was invested into the FFIV psp remaster and square did not make as much money off the game as they thought they would, sad to see all their remasters since have not been up to that quality.
    « Last Edit: 2021-07-30 04:25:37 by olearyf2525 »

AuthenticM

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: 2021-08-03 06:25:47 »
    Someone modded in the Mystic Quest font. It looks great.

Aavock

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: 2021-08-04 03:39:11 »
    Nice font choice! This Pixel Remaster turned out to be really good overall. Can't wait for FFIV~FFVI

Take it with a pinch of salt but based on SteamDB release dates are:

Final Fantasy IV: August 19th, 2021
    Final Fantasy V: September 9th, 2021
    Final Fantasy IV: September 30th, 2021

Aavock

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: 2021-12-16 23:13:46 »

« Last Edit: 2021-12-16 23:17:48 by Aavock »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: 2021-12-19 10:47:17 »
    I take back shitting on these games, the art style has kind of grown on me and like I said the music is fantastic. Wish there was a hard mode or something for extra content or that they had done something similiar to ff4 ds/pc. I'd even be down for a hard mode dlc. I wonder if ff6 is still coming out this year?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
      • View Profile
      • LeonhartGR Productions
    « Reply #12 on: 2021-12-21 02:04:56 »
    The VG Research and Modding server on Discord has taken over the modding project on those. I have no idea if there is any other team dealing with it rn.

Mabinog

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: 2021-12-25 13:52:56 »
    Playing FFIV PR and it's pretty great. Looks amazing and the new music is a nice addition. The minimap is also fantastic because games with random encounters always give me anxiety lol.

They did nerf the difficulty by halving the exp required to level up, but that doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes it's nice to just play a game without being challenged all the time.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
    • Maktub
      • View Profile
      • Behemoth Productions
    « Reply #14 on: 2022-02-19 16:41:26 »
    97 hours left for FFVI PR

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
    • Maktub
      • View Profile