Author Topic: No room for text in FF8.exe  (Read 5566 times)

Shuffle

• View Profile
No room for text in FF8.exe
« on: 2020-04-25 22:40:27 »
There are no problems with editing texts in FF8 menus (mngrp.bin, namedic.bin etc, areames.dc1), I simply edit strings and pointers to them, no problems with limited space.
At 874B58 of FF8.exe (2013) there text data for triple triad game, but right after it there is another file, can't overwrite that.
So what I'm supposed to do? How to fit larger data?
Sorry for noobish question, I'm not an expert at this sort of things.  :-(

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: No room for text in FF8.exe
« Reply #1 on: 2020-07-08 21:29:59 »
There are no problems with editing texts in FF8 menus (mngrp.bin, namedic.bin etc, areames.dc1), I simply edit strings and pointers to them, no problems with limited space.
At 874B58 of FF8.exe (2013) there text data for triple triad game, but right after it there is another file, can't overwrite that.
So what I'm supposed to do? How to fit larger data?
Sorry for noobish question, I'm not an expert at this sort of things.  :-(

From what I understand, you can use a pointer to an empty location, fill that with the data you need, then redirect it back to the end of the original function. I have no idea HOW to do this, but this is how it was explained to me by different assembly 'hackers' around the forums. You could do all of these 'hacks' via Hext files run by HextTools or Roses and Wine (W07).

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-09 08:32:04 »
@Mcindus: RaW is not on this forum anymore. Anyway you can still use Hext files with the tool FFNx.

salmawisoky

• View Profile
    • Drift Boss
« Reply #3 on: 2023-09-13 09:56:20 »
you can still use Hext files with the tool FFNx.