Author Topic: Memory offsets not what expected.  (Read 6980 times)

socK

• View Profile
Memory offsets not what expected.
« on: 2007-04-24 05:29:05 »
After going through some discs, I found a list of offsets I made for this game a while ago. I decided to reinstall and write a trainer for kicks, but alas nothing worked. After a little investigation I discovered every offset was slightly different than what I had. I know it's not just me going insane because I just tried multiple trainers which I can guarantee once worked, but now don't. It's an English copy, not ultima edition or whatever and I've had it for years and I know my stuff worked before. It's patched.

What could possibly cause this? I'm baffled.

edit to clarify: FF7 is the game in question.
« Last Edit: 2007-04-24 05:31:17 by socK »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: Memory offsets not what expected.
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-24 07:12:51 »
Different version of ff7.exe?

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-24 08:09:50 »
I don't see how it could be, it's the same copy of the game I've always owned. I've checked patched and unpatched and both yield the same results.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-24 08:13:38 »
Different version of ff7.exe.

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-04-24 08:27:09 »
I get the same address on patched and unpatched. I've tried getting the patch from multiple places and using that exe instead. I always get 00DC0230 back as the first character slot, what I expected was 00DB1818. If anybody has the patience maybe they could check for me.

I guess I'll just quit though, since I'm seemingly doing the impossible or something.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-04-24 08:33:37 »
Uhh... The offsets you have are from the different version of the game (is has nothing to do with patching the executable). Now you're using 1.02 EN ff7.exe (or compatible), and the offset you have are from 1.0 EN ff7.exe (of compatible).

Edit: Sure about that "not ultima" now?

SmasherHell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-04-24 08:38:28 »
Memory Offset can not change on Win XP ? Some offset are not reserved for itself ? that would explain FF7 multiple crash and instability, even without patch and software mode...

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-04-24 08:41:15 »
Mind explaining why?

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-04-24 08:53:01 »
All of the addresses FF7 uses remain static, it doesn't use DMA anywhere.

I'm using the same version I've always owned, and I'm positive trainers and things of the like worked back then. I made one myself, thats where I got the list of offsets from. My discs are blue and say PLATINUM COLLECTORS EDITION, and it's an English copy which I bought like 6 years ago or something.

SmasherHell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-04-24 08:58:17 »
When FF7 runs on windows XP, it is kind of emulation cause it runs under Window-on-window execution (wowexec.exe) used for 16-bits  old applications...I wonder if that can not cause memory offsets to change...It's just hypothesis I don't have the answer...
« Last Edit: 2007-04-24 09:02:05 by SmasherHell »

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-04-24 09:11:52 »
I've never used the game outside of Windows XP, only difference is I built this almost a year ago, the last time I ran the game was on another computer.

Well it's 5:12 in the morning, sounds like a great time for sleep.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-04-24 09:14:02 »
I'm using the same version I've always owned, and I'm positive trainers and things of the like worked back then. I made one myself, thats where I got the list of offsets from. My discs are blue and say PLATINUM COLLECTORS EDITION, and it's an English copy which I bought like 6 years ago or something.
If that's the case... What sounded weird was the thing you said about using unpatched ff7.exe still having different memory offsets:
-> that means you used 1.0 ff7.exe before and that's probably the version of this file on your Install Disc
-> you said that you have checked the offsets without patching the exe and still nothing
So how did the version changed on read-only CDs when those X years have passed?

@SmasherHell: Isn't FF7 a 32bit application? :P
« Last Edit: 2007-04-24 09:15:36 by dziugo »

SmasherHell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-04-24 13:25:17 »
Now that you say that...32 bits, you 're right...My wowexec is just messing around because of a 16 bits ld installer

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-04-24 20:02:38 »
I had already wrote something based off all the addresses I had, so I tried it right after installing. It didn't work, so I patched, and still zilch. So I checked it out and all the addresses are off by a bit.

Quote from: dziugo

I just don't knowwwwwwwwww.

Here's an example, which shows the old address and then the new one I get. It seems that trainers use the old one for gil and not the one that I get. As far as I know, I'm not losing my sanity and they did in fact work at one point a few years and now they don't, so uh, yeah, I don't know.

edit: For clarification, it's basically a trainer. It can read and write from the old one, and the one I get.

http://snoop.burgh.net/~swan/crap/clash/ff7gil.zip (needs .net)
« Last Edit: 2007-04-24 20:10:35 by socK »

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-04-25 08:42:12 »
Quote from: dziugo

I just don't knowwwwwwwwww.
What's the size of the ff7.exe file on your FF7 Install CD?

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-04-25 20:26:21 »
5.55 MB (5,820,416 bytes)

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-04-25 21:14:46 »
Which means it's 1.0. How does it upgrade itself to 1.02 on install? :P Oh whatever.

socK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-04-26 00:02:32 »
I updated it. I'm saying I tried when I first installed and it didn't work, then again after updating and it still didn't work.

bulk_4me

• View Profile
    • BWHacks
« Reply #18 on: 2007-04-30 01:57:18 »
Ha ha ha... ok seriously that's bullshit... You're either using a different version of the exe, or you are using non-static offsets, I wouldn't know 'cause my cheat plugin hijacks functions it doesn't use the peek & poke noobness, and as AFAIK FF7 does use DMA.