Author Topic: Not so sure I would like a Square remake of FF7, after all...  (Read 31031 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
I blame Tetsuya Nomura.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Of course... Who else to blame?

Travis

• View Profile
Of course... Who else to blame?

You know, I wrote a whole article on how I thought Tetsuya Nomura sucked... let me copy/paste...

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1289273#bbspost23645649_post_text

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Quote from: Wikipedia
"Selling out" is the compromising of integrity, morality, or principles in exchange for money or "success" (however defined).[1] It is commonly associated with attempts to tailor material to a mainstream audience. Any artist who expands their creative path to encompass a wider audience, as opposed to continuing in the genre and venues of their initial success, may be disdainfully labeled by disapproving fans as a sellout. Sometimes a sellout is seen as a person that is disloyal to a group to which he or she belongs (usually ethnic group) in order to gain money or become "successful". Selling out is often seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

StickySock

• View Profile
Kingdom Hearts is the first appearance of "emo" Cloud. It fit for the game because he was in the game as a boss battle, a servant of hades, which made for a fun fight. After you beat him though, obviously they were not going to leave him as just a bad guy, so he has a talk with Sora about how he had a struggle against his inner darkness, fitting the kingdom hearts theme. (Not to mention he stole Vincent's cape, glove, and wing. Wtf?)

The problem is that Square Enix just rolled with it and put "emo" cloud back into main entries in the series, starting with Advent Children. Even though Cloud's emoness is explained in the movie, and that he had deep guilt and regret for not being able to save either Aerith or Zax from dying, he had already reconciled those feelings when Tifa was f*cking around in his subconscious mind. After Cloud recovered, he was back to his former self, which was a likable, witty, arrogant, flirtatious hero. It didn't make sense for him to relapse back into those feelings, and so he was rejected by people who grew up liking the original game and was adopted by those weird anime cosplayers who swear Kingdom Hearts' story is really good and not at all convoluted. (I actually like Kingdom Hearts somewhat, but I feel like it's got to the point of ridiculous.)

Every entry Cloud was ever featured in from then on out was emo, and so the real cloud faded into myth and legend among older gamers. Now one of the main reasons FF7 is bashed is because of its spinoffs' representation of Cloud.

But it all goes back to two simple points for me: One, Square Enix could make the game with slightly updated graphics and keep everything the same. I know some people would be upset it would be the same, but not many, and the game would sell like crazy. It wouldn't even take much cost at all if they made it as a handheld game of some sort. Two, even if they did f*ck it up at least people would finally stop talking and asking for it, and it wouldn't affect those who still play the original.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-21 03:21:12 by StickySock »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Did I send that picture to you?  Luksy sent it to me.  I like it.  ;D  8-)

It isn't just Nomura though... it is everyone else that has allowed it to happen and more importantly, the fanbase that keep buying this shit.

Travis

• View Profile
Did I send that picture to you?  Luksy sent it to me.  I like it.  ;D  8-)

It isn't just Nomura though... it is everyone else that has allowed it to happen and more importantly, the fanbase that keep buying this sh*t.

Well if something FF7 related comes out, I will likely buy it. I gotta keep the hope...

But Nomura is the main character designer and was director of Advent Children... He also helped to spearhead the Compilation of FF7. He's had a huge impact on what has happened.

It also doesn't help that basically everyone from the original Squaresoft team has up and left the company to start Mistwalker (or whatever they are called) which is apparently making some great games these days.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Did I send that picture to you?

Nope. Found it from another member of this forum, through that shit that is Facebook... but that's another story.

It isn't just Nomura though... it is everyone else that has allowed it to happen and more importantly, the fanbase that keep buying this shit.

As for the fanbase, you can't really blame them. Gamers get younger and they were used to almost real graphics such as FFXIII. I have FFVII for the PSX (which I play on my PS3) and I asked some of my friends "If I lend it to you, would you play it?"; the answer was always "No". That did upset me, really. There is also an idea, which I have in mind since a very, very long time.

Who wants a good remake of Final Fantasy VII? Obviously, many members of Qhimm. The idea I had is to contact Square and ask for rights of FFVII, then make the remake ourselves. They would make the engine and models, we would do the remake. I know this may seem a bit out of sight for many, but the only sure way to fail is to not try.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
The idea I had is to contact Square and ask for rights of FFVII, then make the remake ourselves.

Why not...

ultima espio

• View Profile
Yeah, I hate what they did to Cloud too...

But remember, Square are faithful with remakes, so Cloud would be his strong confident self again.

*but* at the end of AC he changed, and since we only saw a tiny bit of him in Cerberus, we can't really tell if he's the same as in FF7.

I wouldn't take his Dissidia design seriously either, every character in the original Dissidia had an amano costume, or their original altered to match amano art. Zidane and Squall are examples :P

BloodShot

• View Profile
Reminds me of that thread I made a while back with a screenshot of Ehrgeiz showing how much more muscular cloud was back in the 90s.

Honestly I liked the anime-type style FF7 used, and I still do, even though I generally dislike anime. But I don't like what they have done do the male characters, and how

they've felt the need to bring them closer to anorexia in each iteration. It was especially bad when they adopted the AC style realistic designs, because even though they

may have realistic faces, the rest of them was far from it.

savage-xp

• View Profile
The new Cloud is so depressive.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Purposefully so...

alexande

I blame Tetsuya Nomura.
Me too.

BloodShot

• View Profile
I also blame angst filled emo teenagers.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
There was a time FF was compared with quality. They were equal.
This picture pretty much sums up the FF de-evolution since the nineties. These days FF hardly means quality. More like quantity...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Cash-in trumps Quality.

Travis

• View Profile
Cash-in trumps Quality.

The CoD series learned that quick... ugh.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Where did it go wrong, though?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
I blame the millions he gains and the newbie or thick headed fans which he obviously realized by now 'Wow if i sell them sh*t they still buy the sh*t, no need to work my ass off il still get my millions anyway 8)  :evil:' meh..

archerxtreme

• View Profile
Ya...even though i like some elements and characters in the newer FFs, it's not like i really appreciated them as a whole. Has anyone tried FF14?.....FF11 was alright but i just didn't get turned on by the videos of the FFonline game.....

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
I would like a Square make special story for Sephiroth , from the beginning of his childhood and how he lived between his mother and his father, and how his mother turned into a monster and by whom? , And what happened to him and how do you know the two characters, namely Angel and Genesis..etc

ultima espio

• View Profile
I would like a Square make special story for Sephiroth , from the beginning of his childhood and how he lived between his mother and his father, and how his mother turned into a monster and by whom? , And what happened to him and how do you know the two characters, namely Angel and Genesis..etc

Have we been playing the same games? :o

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Sephiroth's mother was Lucrecia and she was no monster.  Jenova's cells were used to make Sephiroth a super human.  Jenova is an extraterrestrial who landed on earth (Calamity from the Sky)... she was not a monster, she was another species from another world.  Asking why she looked different would be like asking why a human looks like a human.