Author Topic: [FF8R-PC/Steam] FF8 Remastered (Lunatic Pandora) Mods Progress  (Read 437330 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
That really sucks. How about battle field textures, as well as world map textures?

Those are all 3D so at the very least, they should be possible to insert HD textures, right?

Field backgrounds, Battlefields, World Textures, most enemies, and Magics/Limit Break textures are all not replaceable at this time.  Maki has been making some amazing headway as far as all of that is concerned, so we're all waiting with our fingers crossed that we'll be able to put those in.

If there was some way for Tonberry to be able to be used in OpenGL, that would solve the texture problems -- but that seems like a larger task than even what Maki is doing.  Any help from any programmers is greatly appreciated/needed.

rartart

• Banned
    • View Profile
Field backgrounds, Battlefields, World Textures, most enemies, and Magics/Limit Break textures are all not replaceable at this time.  Maki has been making some amazing headway as far as all of that is concerned, so we're all waiting with our fingers crossed that we'll be able to put those in.

If there was some way for Tonberry to be able to be used in OpenGL, that would solve the texture problems -- but that seems like a larger task than even what Maki is doing.  Any help from any programmers is greatly appreciated/needed.

i see :O  , but at least you know were they are hidden ? could they be compressed thousand times somewere in the closed game? after all they are using the textures from the very first pc port so they must be extremely small and easy to compress thousand times with the modern technology :O , so is it possible that they were accidentally spotted already but they appeared like something insignificant and irrilevant

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
Hey guys, just checking in for an update. How is uncovering a method for modding the rest of the game going? What you guys do is incredible, I check this thread pretty much daily to see if you've posted anything new. :)

Sebanisu

• View Profile
On discord Maki has been posting progress reports on his mod that enables mods on remaster. Hopefully early 2020 he'll have a release ready. MCINDUS has been getting some of his filenames reorganized/renamed. So they will hopefully be ready to go in the remaster, when Maki is done. :D

rartart

• Banned
    • View Profile
On discord Maki has been posting progress reports on his mod that enables mods on remaster. Hopefully early 2020 he'll have a release ready. MCINDUS has been getting some of his filenames reorganized/renamed. So they will hopefully be ready to go in the remaster, when Maki is done. :D

please be more specific , you mean that they discovered how to import the modded textures for the zones outside of the city ? like in the horizon mod for the steam version from 2013 ? that mod also include the hi-res textures for the lagunarock :O

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Via Qhimm Discord, Maki said that he's unlocked:

field textures
battle characters
battle monsters
worldmap textures
textures now read dynamic size
game reads from local unpacked files instead of archives
minor tweaks and backdoors

Only thing not 'unlocked' thus far is battlefields.
Maki says once he finishes, he'll do bugfixes and post his project.

I'm ready to explode.
I'm already renaming my battle monsters and battlefields to be able to be used more easily with the Remaster's naming conventions. I'm also going to provide higher resolution options for my packs.
HYPE.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
Awesome news!

rartart

• Banned
    • View Profile
Via Qhimm Discord, Maki said that he's unlocked:

field textures
battle characters
battle monsters
worldmap textures
textures now read dynamic size
game reads from local unpacked files instead of archives
minor tweaks and backdoors

Only thing not 'unlocked' thus far is battlefields.
Maki says once he finishes, he'll do bugfixes and post his project.

I'm ready to explode.
I'm already renaming my battle monsters and battlefields to be able to be used more easily with the Remaster's naming conventions. I'm also going to provide higher resolution options for my packs.
HYPE.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

all great news :D , but please make sure that once all those modded textures are ready we can inject them directly in to the game just like the other modded textures you created for the remastered version, i really dislike the method of tonberry :O, it is so much better to substitute the outdated textures :O  , also, were are located the textures of the fields ? i tried to look in to the two archives but i didn't found nothing that look similar to the textures of the fields , so maybe when the game is closed they are compressed thousand times in a small file ? :O 

Gensoul

• View Profile
Awesome! Can't wait to see all of the great things people do with this.

Devina

• View Profile

This is amazing news, I always had hopes that FF8 Remastered would become the definitive version.
I can't wait to see HD AI upscaled backgrounds with the new models. Thanks to everyone involved.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
Excited for this release, I've had issues with tonberry giving me black textures in game that demotivated me from making textures, makis drag and drop system that updates on the fly seems like a game changer, hopefully we can turn off their bad texture filtering as well, maybe I will finish this missile base battle scene soon

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
F* yeah! Looking forward for any updates!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
He's done it. I have a lot of renaming and re-sorting to do.
Update incoming.

Devina

• View Profile
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Maki released the tool here:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19432.0

Once you're done releasing the HD backgrounds Mcindus, I wonder if I can have a go at the pixelated characters:

Pretty sure I can make it look HD using copy and pasting, with some digital painting here and there.

rartart

• Banned
    • View Profile
that modding tool allow to activate the modded textures in a temporary way like tonberry , it isn't till better than substitute the textures inside the .zzz archive :O

Sebanisu

• View Profile
The zzz limits us. It's one of the reasons Maki started the project. People wanted to go over the size limit. And it slowed down testing mods to have to jump through another hoop. Though I coulda improved my tool. Maki was working on this so it's be kinda like wasted effort.

rartart

• Banned
    • View Profile
The zzz limits us. It's one of the reasons Maki started the project. People wanted to go over the size limit. And it slowed down testing mods to have to jump through another hoop. Though I coulda improved my tool. Maki was working on this so it's be kinda like wasted effort.
nah , no wasted effort , the point is that there are people like me who prefer to permanently mod the archives and people who prefer a temporary way of activate the modded textures , also the limit of the size for the archives is already solved right ? with all the modded textures you all created the archive is already running correctly despite the fact that is bigger , also it is possible that this version of final fantasy 8 is programmed in a similar way to the pc version of final fantasy 12 ? because even final fantasy 12 the zodiac age would have problems with the modification of the size of the archives , but the problem is prevented if you change the registered size of the file archive that you are modifying

Gensoul

• View Profile
Pretty sure I can make it look HD using copy and pasting, with some digital painting here and there.

They are mostly using the same uniform, right? Still a lot of detail work after pasting to clean up the edges and re-drawing the hair and face for any that don't have an upgraded 3D model somewhere to copy -- if we don't want a garden of clones, that is.

Of course anything would look better than the jaggy smear-monsters we have right now. How many backgrounds have those baked-in models?

CYRU5

• View Profile
They are mostly using the same uniform, right? Still a lot of detail work after pasting to clean up the edges and re-drawing the hair and face for any that don't have an upgraded 3D model somewhere to copy -- if we don't want a garden of clones, that is.

Of course anything would look better than the jaggy smear-monsters we have right now. How many backgrounds have those baked-in models?

LOL, remember this scene at the battle of gardens?

WAY too much pixels on that one haha

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Updated main post with some progress!

ZL325

• View Profile
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, Maki released the tool here:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19432.0

Once you're done releasing the HD backgrounds Mcindus, I wonder if I can have a go at the pixelated characters:

Wouldn't it be easier to just take the new model the game makes use of, rip it, then and have it pose similar to the pixelated character? If ripping the model isn't possible then finding areas with the like character and trying to get decent images to then superimpose with any needed edits.

Devina

• View Profile
There is no XNALara for FF8's HD models as far as I know, so no, ripping models isn't feasible.
If for some reason we're desperate for a certain model in a certain position, I can give it a try.

And that's what I meant by copy-and-pasting, with some digital touching. For example, I would copy and paste that girl sitting by the pixelated mess, then edit the hair.

I'm glad that Mcindus' porting process is going smoothly.
Once the mod is out, we should all band together to test that the mod fully works, and find instances of all baked characters, and possibly instances where we can grab HD characters. For example, I remember there's a blurry Cid in front of the school directory board. Maybe we'll screencap a pic of Cid at Edea's orphanage, and use it in the school.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
There is no XNALara for FF8's HD models as far as I know, so no, ripping models isn't feasible.
If for some reason we're desperate for a certain model in a certain position, I can give it a try.

And that's what I meant by copy-and-pasting, with some digital touching. For example, I would copy and paste that girl sitting by the pixelated mess, then edit the hair.

I'm glad that Mcindus' porting process is going smoothly.
Once the mod is out, we should all band together to test that the mod fully works, and find instances of all baked characters, and possibly instances where we can grab HD characters. For example, I remember there's a blurry Cid in front of the school directory board. Maybe we'll screencap a pic of Cid at Edea's orphanage, and use it in the school.

I believe Noesis can rip the models from the game. We just can't re-import them.  So, you can use Noesis, pose the character, and then cut/paste it into the scene in Photoshop or GIMP. Not difficult at all, really... just not sure if Noesis works with the new models, and this is just time consuming.  You would have to extract the field with pupu or deling and then make the edits, and use PuPu (newest release fix by maki) to re-swizzle the files properly for injection into the game.

Oh.. and here's this because I thought of the same thing about 2 months ago :) - hes' just a cutout from the other scene.
File (with Transparency):
https://mega.nz/#!bpBkga5a!sUMFaQpIcCEN5uafB5tQiP1KvUI5GPP-eEyIjxfj4Ag
Preview:
« Last Edit: 2020-01-04 23:25:50 by Mcindus »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I'm really hyped about Devina's work! Looking forward to any updates!

Gensoul

• View Profile

You should randomly add a tiny version of him to a few of the backgrounds, hidden in some out of the way place, like an Easter Egg hunt. 8-D