Author Topic: Game Pop Quiz #3!  (Read 8860 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« on: 2002-05-02 20:57:54 »
New topic, new quiz, new style.

Enjoy, hope it lasts *a bit* longer than the last one :)

atzn

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-02 21:41:07 »
Well, I have no idea what game it is, but this is what I think about the code:
(From left)
1st block: GDRA seems like DRAG scrambled... well I'm not sure
2nd block: Damn this character... looks like 'sleep', but it isn't because 'sleep' has an 'eye side' on it.. so I don't know what it is.
3rd block: HOWL.. seems like a connection to an animal??
4th block: PASS ..... pass?? Card game? possibly... with drag... seems like a card game.... not sure...
5th block: yu? I can't see it clearly, so I cannot verify if it is a 'pin ying' or not.... if it is, then more likely it means a shark.....  :-?
6th block: This character means cliff (combine the word 'shan' [top] and 'shi' [bottom] <meaning mountain and rock>)
8th block: Silmana, again, I am assuming that it is scrambled up.... it should be animals maybe.
9th block: com.... errgh.. no idea on this one.... is it CPU AI?? ... well I don't know

piecing up all my assumption, it has a relation with cliff, animals, howl .. something related to a wolf?... and with drag and pass.... seems like a turn based game or somesort....

Can u give a bit more hint Qhimm???....  :P

J*** H*******

Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #2 on: 2002-05-02 21:56:33 »
SKullKnight

Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #3 on: 2002-05-02 22:15:16 »
FFTactic_Boy: You're trying tooo hard.

It's basically just a case of re-arranging the blocks. The lines in the background should help.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #4 on: 2002-05-02 23:56:21 »

That's what I think is the unbroken image. I can't make heads or tails out of it, but I thought other people might want to see it.

My far-off guess is Grandia or Grandia II?

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #5 on: 2002-05-03 00:59:34 »
"Yggdrasil" and "Mana" are both in Tales of Phantasia, and that was a Japanese only game...

Dunno.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #6 on: 2002-05-03 02:10:49 »
Yggdrasil was a cerebrate in starcraft, as well IIRC.

vvalentine

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #7 on: 2002-05-03 02:15:15 »
Yggdrasil is also an item in Ragnarok Online, but I don't know about Mana.  But to be honest, I don't know which game it is.  So my random guess is RO.

-vvalentine

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #8 on: 2002-05-03 02:16:25 »
Yggdrasil was a cerebrate in starcraft, as well IIRC.

Nope... it's the name of the Overlord hero unit you can place in the Campaign Editor.

Don't think it's Starcraft, though.

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #9 on: 2002-05-03 06:59:06 »
Isn't Yggdrasil from Xenogears, too?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #10 on: 2002-05-03 09:24:29 »
Sephiroth: You can't answer with two games at once. Pick one if you want to guess.

Others: These terms are all frequently used in a lot of games, but only in one game do they all appear prominently. The other two figures are Japanese kanji, but it's not their *meaning* that's interesting. Rather, they make up something else, something common yet specific...  8)

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
Tip
« Reply #11 on: 2002-05-03 16:34:16 »
Tip: That thing in the background looks like a creature and those Japanese symbols are the eyes.  :lol:

SkullKnight

Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #12 on: 2002-05-03 16:40:28 »
Legend of Mana or Vagrant Story?

atzn

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #13 on: 2002-05-03 22:08:59 »
Ugh, damnit.
I thought it was CHINESE, didn't cross into my mind that it was a Japanese Kanji (Yeah, they have the same characters, nearly the same meaning too)
The rest was pure guess.... should've thought about something regarding the shapes as well.... heh.  :D

And also, silly me... why would Qhimm play Chinese Games when they're not so popular in PS....

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #14 on: 2002-05-04 05:51:29 »
Qhimm: I don't ever remember any rule about not being able to make 2 guesses in a single post.

But: Grandia II.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #15 on: 2002-05-04 08:35:11 »
That's a rule that makes the quizmaster's role a whole lot easier. Imagine if a poster answered "a Final Fantasy game", the next one guessed "Final Fantasy VIII", and it turns out FF8 was right? Who got it right? I prefer to say the second guesser, even though he could have drawn inspiration from the first one. Because of tricky situations like this, I prefer people only making a single guess per post. I should've mentioned this in my initial post though, sorry.

I also find it warranted to move the quizzes to the General forum for several reasons, because it *is* game-related (at least recently). Any objections?

Anyway, as for the current guesses:
"Grandia or Grandia II" - invalid guess
"Tales of Phantasia" - incorrect
"Starcraft" - incorrect
"Ragnarok Online" - incorrect
"Xenogears" - incorrect
"Legend of Mana or Vagrant Story" - invalid guess (and no compasses in any of them, IIRC?)
"Grandia II" - incorrect

I don't expect this quiz to live on much longer (you're so close it hurts), but I would find it nice if the one who gets it right actually could motivate his answer. Not a requirement or anything, just nice  8)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #16 on: 2002-05-04 09:02:09 »
In the case of "A final fantasy game" VS "FF8" I totally agree with you. The person listing FF8 should win. However, I DID list 2 distinct games. Now had I said "one of the Grandia games" I would agree with them being invalid, but since I said "Grandia or Grandia II", it's no different than someone specifically listing:

Final Fantasy (1)
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 11

True, that's still evil, and it takes some of the fun away, but listing multiple games in a single post is not invalid. (Oh, and if I ever see anyone listing this many games in a post, I will personally kick their butt for being cheap! :wicked: )

Does anyone else have a problem with limiting the number of guesses to 3 (debateable) per post, and no multiple posting?

Oh, and I have no problem moving this topic.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #17 on: 2002-05-04 11:15:41 »
I'm hereby closing this quiz, even though there is no official winner.

The correct answer was Grandia. Sephiroth 3D guessed this early on, and I suspect this was Jari's conclusion as well. The reason there is no winner is because of invalid guesses containing the right answer, and the reason I called it off is that the whole thing escalated. I wasn't clear enough with the rules, and I don't want anyone saying the winner was appointed unfairly.

The correct solution was to align the blocks (as done by Sephiroth 3D), which would give you the following keywords:
- COMPASS: Prominently displayed in the upper-right corner of Grandia games
- HOWL: Wind spell in Grandia games (english translation)
- YGGDRASIL: "Operation Yggdrasil" is the evil plot of Grandia (I)
- MANA: Grandia games utilize Mana eggs for magic
- (kanji): These kanji form the Japanese name Iwadare, composer of Grandia's music.

In short, the key to identifying Grandia (I) was knowing where Yggdrasil fit in.

Special note to Jari: Search engines are not illegal, my quizzes are rarely entirely solvable using your mind only. http://www.gamefaqs.com is highly recommended when doing my quizzes. Other quizmasters may not allow search engines, though.

Since the quiz theme seems to have grown popular however, expect a few changes to the board in the near future to incorporate this. In the mean time, the next quizmaster will be Sephiroth 3D.

Sephiroth 3D:

Your argument is that "Grandia or Grandia II" is valid, but "one of the Grandia games" is not? I don't see your logic. Where do you draw the line between completing the quiz honorably and guessing wildly?

The point of my quiz (and most others) is to use all the clues to identify a single game. If you guess all the games who contain references to "Yggdrasil" at once, what's the sport? The idea is to use your brainpower and sense of deduction to arrive at the correct answer, not leave the work half-done and guess all the games matching so far.

The second point of my rule is to make it a fair game. If I leave some clues which easily narrows the list of games down to five or so games, and the first poster answer all of those, then he's stolen the fun for everyone else. If I spend lots of time to actually crack the quiz, I don't want to be beaten by someone too lazy to finish the work but scoring a lucky guess. If you reply with three games and get one right, you still have two incorrect answers. I don't feel it's right to win that way.

Thirdly, you illustrate my point. You even admitted your first guess was a far-off guess, and when asked to choose one of them (a 50-50% chance) you chose wrongly. This leads me to believe you did not finish the quiz, but guessed anyway.

But as I said earlier, rules are set by the current quizmaster. My quizzes will continue to have this rule, you are free to do as you wish with yours.

J*** H*******

Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #18 on: 2002-05-05 21:35:04 »
Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #19 on: 2002-05-06 19:29:15 »
Qhimm: There is no line. A random guess is a good as knowing it. You're facing the odds doing it, but almost everyone posts a guess now & then. I know it's not the best thing in the world if you read a question, know the answer, then post the answer only to have someone post a guess of the same answer just a moment before your hit the post button. I think I've had that happen to me once.

Anyways, my argument was guessing specific games VS guessing vauge answers. It's like posting a question about "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault", and someone guesses "A World War II game." That kind of generalization is what I was talking about. My FF referance is the same way. And FF8-specific question & someone guesses "A FF game." Not an acceptiable answer in itself, but it may may (& probably will) influence other's answers.

About the multiple guesses per post, I think we need to limit the number of guesses per post, per visit. (We don't want someone making 50 posts in a row, each with a different answer, do we?) I think we need to make a grand poll asking how many GPP are acceptable. I suggest that we limit it to 1-3. Any more would be totally un acceptable.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #20 on: 2002-05-06 20:10:34 »
Well if guessing is the idea, why not just phrase the question as "guess the game I'm thinking about", with no clues? While I can understand multiple guesses in that kind of game to combat the odds, it's utter rubbish in my mind, more adjacent to "20 questions" than mind games. Quizzing isn't about beating the odds, it's about working with the clues given to arrive at the correct answer through a line of logical reasoning. Next you'll be telling me they should allow multiple answers on college exams. No! Take a stand, man! I refuse to believe there are person on this earth without enough guts in them to at even decide on a single answer in a game quiz, for christ's sake.

Now, tell me honestly: why should multiple guesses be allowed? Why should "50% right and 50% wrong" be interpreted as completing the quiz? At least give me a solid argument here!

Now, if you want to see a hint of what *real* game quizzes used to look like, feast your eyes on this. Ah, those were the days. Questions that required so much brain power you'd vomit blood at the end, and participants never even thought about multiple answers.

And those who dared to try suffered horrible tragedies, accidentally stabbing themselves brutally to death while shaving.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #21 on: 2002-05-06 21:15:17 »
Everything comes down to guessing. If you don't know the answer to a question, most people give it a guess. It makes them less likely to get it right, but it's not like you can stop them from guessing.

But after thinking about it, I agree. One guess per post.

I did like your quiz. I quickly figured out (AKA educated guess) that the FF7 2nd question's answer was
Spoiler: show
The Golden Saucer.
Am I correct? I didn't complete the quiz cause I have to get back to work, and because I haven't played about half the games on the list.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #22 on: 2002-05-06 23:23:30 »
FF7, 2nd question: uhm, no. Quite far off, in fact. I should warn you that you'll need to use the full capabilites of both brain, computer and Internet to fully solve this quiz. Not to be sadistic or anything, it's just the truth.

Oh and by all means, feel free to take the quiz if you think you're up for it. No time limit, just let me know when you've submitted answers and I'll correct them. Just remember that the current people already on the score list differ from you lot in a few ways.
a) They had less than two weeks to complete the quiz
b) Some of them are quiz professionals
c) Speaking of which, it's such a shame Terence never participated in that quiz. He's notorious when it comes to these things...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #23 on: 2002-05-07 02:16:08 »
Uhm, I doubt anyone can answer that quiz without external help.
Unless of course you have no life and have been constantly playing ONLY those games repeatedly.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Game Pop Quiz #3!
« Reply #24 on: 2002-05-07 09:39:28 »
Speaking of no life, you're about to advance up to that rank...