Author Topic: Project edge and discord  (Read 4568 times)

Re: Project edge and discord
« Reply #25 on: 2023-05-29 15:13:28 »
Actually, none of that is true anymore... Discord now has a fully fledged forum system.

Those are all permanent topics in the "Echo-s bugs" subforum... Just saying... It's not taking the forum's place, but it has more potential than ever to do so. It actually is good for everything now. lol... If it wasn't for the 25 years of information we have built up here, it would probably go that way.

Ok, that solves exactly one problem with Discord. That however still doesn't change the fact everything that is posted there still happens inside the Discord ecosystem. Content posted there is not indexable by any search engine or something like the Wayback Machine. If anything happens to Discord, or the community gets deleted for whatever reason, that will be the end of it. Everything posted there will be lost forever. It's a completely closed-off ecosystem that nobody who doesn't have/doesn't want a Discord account can access and that is the main problem here I think. If independent forums can clearly exist, I just don't see the need to make yourself rely on a platform that runs on proprietary servers, is closed-off to outsiders and at a constant risk of losing everything that was ever posted on there, because Discord, the company, owns the platform and the servers. Not to mention their policies decide what is free speech and what isn't. They are free to censor or shadowban you if they don't like your opinions, it's the same with Reddit really.

As an independent forum owner, platforms like Discord to me if anything should be considered a threat. A threat to free speech on the internet, a thread to preservation of conversations/information for the future, a thread to the independence about the way people have discussions on the internet.

I can't help but wonder, why are people in this day and age so OBSESSED with completely giving up their independence and blindly handing over control over major aspects of their lives to big corporations? I'd say the way we communicate is a pretty major aspect. It almost seems like people buy into the "you will own (and control) nothing and be happy" thing.
« Last Edit: 2023-05-29 15:18:55 by GeoffreyMc Jefferson »

Edgerwayne

• View Profile
Re: Project edge and discord
« Reply #26 on: 2023-09-24 05:52:42 »
what's your problem with people who don't like discord ?... It's not a crime or supernatural to dislike discord. there are thousands of people in the world who do not use it, just as there are thousands of people who prefer facebook to twitter or tiktok to instagram, just as there are thousands of people who prefer to call rather than text or text instead of calling or who prefers nexus to qhimm or like there are thousands of people who prefer to buy a physical game and own it instead of paying a streaming subscription and it's the company that decides what you can play each month or who prefers this tv or internet company over another etc etc your message was contemptuous, denigrating, it was just a discussion. I was never disrespectful in my messages. from now on I think the only thing I'm going to ask is if there's any news and say thank you... and that's if they answer me because from now on. I feel like they will do everything to not give me access to the new fields... and thank you Quid? to have a little understood my point of view :)
I think People want Entertainment and Facebook twitter tiktok and Instagram provides what they want.