Author Topic: How do I edit damage formulas? [FFVIII]  (Read 40680 times)

JWP

• View Profile
Re: How do I edit damage formulas? [FFVIII]
« Reply #50 on: 2016-06-16 12:33:07 »
Most of the stuff relating to stores is in the menu.fi archive, while it's possible to edit this we only currently have plans for a kernel.bin editor.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2016-06-17 07:49:47 »
Dammit, hope someone will look at it someday. ^^

volvania

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2016-06-17 11:09:56 »
i had write about it its not hard to do if u use hex editor like translhexation and first extract menu.fi using ff archive commander . search the tool in this forum and use translhex arrange the byte so they look like something similer and change the numbers u will find potions and items in the shop i figured them by myself after looking at londonray mod in insanedificulty forum he literally changed everything in the game he even made new magics like ultima2 and meteor 2 read what he did i give you the link, and i know jwp and alexfilth can do it easly its not a big bytes to change also in menu.fi u can change the material needed to craft the weapons , its a good thing if u want to make farming materials for the legendary lion heart more worth it and tweak the game as i know u can get lion heart at disc one which is game broken.  here is the link http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/

alexfilth

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2016-06-17 12:25:11 »
Junk shop stuff is in mwepon.bin

33 entries - 12 bytes each
Code: [Select]
Revolver
Shear Trigger
Cutting Trigger
Flame Saber
Twin Lance
Punishment
Lion Heart
Metal Knuckle
Maverick
Gauntlet
Ehrgeiz
Valiant
Ulysses
Bismarck
Exeter
Chain Whip
Slaying Tail
Red Scorpion
Save the Queen
Pinwheel
Valkyrie
Rising Sun
Cardinal
Shooting Star
Flail
Morning Star
Crescent Wish
Strange Vision
Hyperion
None
Machine Gun
Katal
Harpoon

3 bytes - unknown
1 byte - price (multiplied by 10)
1 byte - first item needed
1 byte - quantity of first item needed
1 byte - second item needed
1 byte - quantity of second item needed
1 byte - third item needed
1 byte - quantity of third item needed
1 byte - fourth item needed
1 byte - quantity of fourth item needed

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2016-06-17 18:25:26 »
Thanks, I'll give it a try even if my knowing of coding is not huge.

Yes, I know FF8 Requiem, it's a good mod but I think there's a lot of things he left as it is like the card mod, shops, Gforce abilities or side quests he should have change. So I plan to do a new mod for the game.

I'll tell you if I manage to do it (or ask some help if I don't ^^ ).

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2016-06-19 00:51:37 »
Well I didn't manage to do it, I'm lost in numbers...

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2016-06-19 01:13:08 »
Hm, what are you looking for specifically?

Getting used to hexediting can easily take a while. Don't give up yet ;)

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2016-06-19 02:39:40 »
Well, I want for the begining suppress all the items at Balamb shop and let just potions but I have this:

... and I don't know what to do with it. ^^' Tried to find some tuto or something but I found nothing. I want to learn but I don't know how.

volvania

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2016-06-19 04:55:11 »
add me in steam and message me i will give u my teamspeak info we can chat while i give u totorials

http://steamcommunity.com/id/volvania/

volvania

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2016-06-19 12:42:40 »
Ok, here's a solution for your specific case:

All Balamb Shop items are within the red box pictured above. If you replace all the "FF" there with "00" except for the very first "FF", then Potion is the only item available until you get Tonberry's Familiar Ability.

FF = Item available from the start
00 = Item requires Familiar to appear in the list
« Last Edit: 2016-06-19 13:06:05 by Callisto »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2016-06-19 15:20:08 »
Ah thanks, I'll try this tonight. :D So, if I understand well, all shops are one after one on this code, right ? So what's the use of the code before Balamb shop ? And how I can modifie shops with Familiar (for Esthar shop)

Thanks Volania, I'll do it. ;)

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2016-06-19 16:00:59 »
The code before Balamb Shop is for Timber Pet Shop, so the order of shops in shop.bin seems to be identical to the order they appear in the Call Shop menu in-game.

The Esthar shops are located as follows:

- Cloud's shop is from offset 0x100 to 0x11F.
- Rinrin's Store is from offset 0x1FA to 0x23F.
- Karen's Store is from offset 0x240 to 0x25F.
- Johnny's Shop is from offset 0x260 to end.

Each value right before "FF" or "00" corresponds to an item which is assigned a certain ID. Potion is ID 1, Hi-Potion ID 3, Tent ID 33 etc. The order is the same as the item order in Item menu in-game. You need to convert these numbers to hex and put that value at the right place in shop.bin. For example, if you want the first item in Balamb Shop to be an Ultima-Stone instead of a Potion, you replace the "01" at offset 0x20 with with "1D", the hex value for Ultima-Stone (ID 29).
« Last Edit: 2016-06-19 16:06:29 by Callisto »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2016-06-19 17:40:30 »
Hmmm that doesn't work. I extracted the file with FF8 AC:

And then changed the values here:

And replaced the files with FF8 AC. But I have no changings in game. Did I do something wrong ?

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2016-06-19 18:05:29 »
Try deleting the non-modified shop.bin (if you can't do that with FF8 AC, try Deling Field editor instead of FF8 AC), then transfer the modified shop.bin back to menu.fs two times in a row. There seems to be some kind of overwriting issue. Having the same problem with mwepon.bin too. Always have to delete the old mwepon.bin first, then putting the new one back to menu.fs two times before any changes take effect.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2016-06-19 23:17:41 »
I can't delete it with FF8AC and when I try with Deling, I have this:

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2016-06-19 23:48:00 »
Hm, weird. I can remove the file without problems using Deling 0.8b and Remove command here:

Perhaps try downgrading too in case you are using 0.9b. Other than that I'm out of ideas :-\

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2016-06-20 02:36:21 »
Well the problem was that the game was in Program files. So now that I can delete twice the file and replace the modified file, it still doesn't work. No changes in game. :(

Callisto

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2016-06-20 18:51:51 »
Let's try to rule certain possibilities out:

- Try starting the game without any shop.bin at all. Your Shop menus should be a huge mess now, but don't worry, this is reversible by putting the shop.bin back in (always have a default shop.bin ready just in case). If everything is still normal without shop.bin, there is definitely something wrong. If you can see the mess too, it's all good. Move modified shop.bin back to menu.fs twice in a row (preferably per drag and drop, as it saves some clicks) and start the game.

- Do you accidentally load a save with Tonberry's Familiar Ability unlocked? If so, delete it by using Amnesia Greens and check the Balamb Shop contents again. According to your changes from above, it should only offer G-Potion, with the rest being invisible until you have Familiar.

- Don't forget to save your changes made with Translhextion before moving files back to where they belong.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2016-06-21 06:05:16 »
Let's try to rule certain possibilities out:

- Try starting the game without any shop.bin at all. Your Shop menus should be a huge mess now, but don't worry, this is reversible by putting the shop.bin back in (always have a default shop.bin ready just in case). If everything is still normal without shop.bin, there is definitely something wrong. If you can see the mess too, it's all good. Move modified shop.bin back to menu.fs twice in a row (preferably per drag and drop, as it saves some clicks) and start the game.

I've already tried this and nothing happenned, I mean the menu is still normal, nothing has changed

- Do you accidentally load a save with Tonberry's Familiar Ability unlocked? If so, delete it by using Amnesia Greens and check the Balamb Shop contents again. According to your changes from above, it should only offer G-Potion, with the rest being invisible until you have Familiar.

No, the save I use is without Familiar, I've deleted it with Hyne. And everything is normal.

- Don't forget to save your changes made with Translhextion before moving files back to where they belong.

Yes I've saved with Translhexation. The weirdest is when I extract the files again after I have done the changings and see that it doesn't work, the shop.bin is still modified, as if the game uses another shop.bin somewhere in the game. :(

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2016-06-21 21:33:25 »
Tested it again and the same issue... could anybody try this to see if it's just a problem with me ?

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2016-06-21 21:52:07 »
You know, there might be a problem with privileges.
Go to where your menu.fs file is, right click and see if the file is 'read-only' also check the menu.fl and menu.fi files.
After that run Deiling.exe with Admin privileges and then delete the shop.bin file.
Finally, after all the issues you had before - check if you maybe have two shop.bin files. You may reinstall the file or check integrity on Steam and do everything again using Deiling in administrator mode.

@EDIT: I just removed the whole shop.bin file and game crashed before jumping into store screen. Check again the files mexico and lastly reinstall game files.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-21 22:02:17 by Maki »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2016-06-21 22:04:41 »
Thanks for the help but... no read-only on files. And it's not working with deling with Admin privileges. And there's only one shop.bin. So the last thing is that there's some problem with Steam. Maybe I should try with my old PC version...

Edit: I think I've reinstall the game 5 or 6 times. ^^'

Edit2: I've tried the same thing as you and the game didn't crash. After that I've go back to Deling and the shop.bin is still removed... how could it be ?...
« Last Edit: 2016-06-21 22:10:24 by mexico »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2016-06-22 10:04:40 »
That's weird.
Are you sure you're editing the correct file?
The one that is in:
Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\Data\lang-en?
Try to delete whole MENU.fs file and see if the game start normally.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-22 10:11:31 by Maki »

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2016-06-22 16:01:25 »
Oh guys, I feel stupid now... I'm french so I've modified the files in lang.fr but the game is in english by default... ^^' Sorry and thanks for the help. :)

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2016-06-23 20:50:36 »
Sorry for the double post.

I have 2 other questions:

Is it possible to disable the test seed ?

How can I edit prices in shops ?

Thanks by advance ! :D