Author Topic: FF8 Junction Threshold Values  (Read 2320 times)

Percival

• View Profile
FF8 Junction Threshold Values
« on: 2020-05-14 08:57:54 »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows a solution for this. I’m trying to mod the junction system for FF8. I am familiar with Sega Chief’s (or JWP’s) hex edit that makes 1 spell function as a stack of 100.

If possible, I'm looking for a way to make a stack of around 70 spells give the results of 100, but for everything beyond that to not add any more to the character’s stat.

I’m not quite a pro yet at interpreting hex values.

JWP

• View Profile
Re: FF8 Junction Threshold Values
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-14 23:30:16 »
I mean it's possible but trickier to code since you'd have to jump to an empty spot as there isn't enough room to swap out bytes for a change like that.
 you'd basically need to code something like this in assembly:

reg = spell_count
if (reg > 70)
  reg = 70

and change the divisor from 100 to 70 in the formula

Percival

• View Profile
Re: FF8 Junction Threshold Values
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-15 00:08:49 »
  Yes!  I was thinking something like that, and that’s why I was afraid that I was out of my depth. Is that even possible to do using RaW? I was hoping to avoid editing the exe directly. I know just enough coding to get into trouble, rarely enough to get out of it. So far, each time I've tried, I got an immediate CTD.

I assume you can see my purpose, though. I’m looking for a compromise that allows you to cast a number of spells without immediately affecting your stats, while not allowing you to gain the full effect of a spell gain with only one in stock (like Ultima).