Final Fantasy 7 > FF7 Tools

[PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)

<< < (3/260) > >>

Kudistos Megistos:
There's a an FAQ on gamefaqs called the "Party Mechanics Guide"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197341.html

which may come in handy when trying to decipher kernel.bin2, but I'll admit, it looks quite tricky...

gjoerulv:
Yay nice! I've been paying attention to this one a while. 1 question. Though I've never tested it I think "Additional Effects" (AD) must be 00h to make "Effect Modifier" (EM) usable. If EM is number of times the attack shall take effect that is (I don't see it can be anything else here). But both AD end EM can be combined to make an effect together. Like the Hero Drink effect. I was just wondering how this proggy handles this (if it's true what I suspect)?

EDIT: ok I see that AD has a number of hits choice. Should have checked 1st. :P

Gingercat:
*Does a happy dance*

:lol: I am officially delighted :lol:

From a simple request and a pipe dream, to the magnificence on clear display for all who love FF7 to tinker with to their heart's content... And so quick to bring it all together!! NFITC1, a big, large, Huge Thankyou Materia to you from me for picking up my simple request and running with it like it was an Olympic sprint! (The Huge Thankyou Materia is orange with thin white stripes by the way; it's on display at the Observatory with the others ;).)

Seriously, how cool is this? It's way beyond anything I could ever do with my meagre skills; the beta testing though I could really sink my sharp little teeth into. I'm good at finding bugs :)

I'm going to be posting links to WallMarket's topics on here to the forums I'm a Super Mod on; I reckon some more interest will come from over there too, and will then spread from there! Anyone who loves FF7 should check this out.

Out of respect and etiquette I'm not going to just post the name of those forums on here; if interested, type this into Google:

"Brad the Gingercat" +forum

That'll lead ya there :P

Weeeeeeee!

Love the icons on the tabs too - That is really inventive. Visual appeal++!

Weeeeeeee! :lol:

nfitc1:
Glad to see that all my fans are happy about this. :)

Semi-sad/semi-breakthrough news:
Good News: I have decoded the Command tab values! :D
Bad News: Editing them would be mostly worthless. :(

Here's why:
The format for the command codes in KERNEL.BIN0 are thus:

--- Code: ---Byte 0x00: Cursor Action:
0x00: Character
0x01: Magic Menu
0x02: Summon Menu
0x03: Item Menu
0x04: E.Skill Menu
0x05: Throw Menu
0x06: "Limit"
0x07: Enemy
0x08: W-Item Menu
0x09: W-Magic Menu
0x0A: W-Summon Menu
0x0B: Coin Menu
0xFF: Untested, might cause crash
Byte 0x01: Force Target
Byte 0x02: NULL (0xFF)
Byte 0x03: NULL (0xFF)
Word 0x04: Force Camera (Single)
Word 0x06: Force Camera (Multiple)
--- End code ---

Looks good, right? I tested quite a few of these and was quite satisfied with the results as they gave me what I expected. So now I can change "Attack" into "Limit" right?! . . . No. This is the bad news.
While it LOOKS like you could easily change "Attack"'s leading byte of 0x07 to 0x06, this does not change the behavior of Attack. First of all, the game is hard-wired to know that "Attack" is "Attack". Even if you bring up a W-Summon Menu it will still attack. After an object (magic, summon, item) is selected, only a pointer to that item will be returned to the battle engine. The battle engine is programmed to know that Command 0x03 is used to cast magics so if you try to summon something or throw an item, it will only cast the magic in the position of the summon or item in the menu that was brought up.

Example to demonstrate what I mean: I changed "Magic" to bring the "Summon" menu. I wanted to summon Titan. In the list of summons, he is number 5. However, the number 5 is returned as being paired with command 0x03, which the battle engine understands as "Magic". So instead of trying to summon Titan, it performed the magic that is number 5 on the list, which happens to be Poisona.

Still, being able to edit this will not be ignored nor considered a waste of time. The Force Target worked rather well. When setting this to 0x97 (pick one random target from ALL enemies), EVERY magic attack picked one random enemy even though the targeting information of the attack was different. In a few cases, I tried to cast cure on one of my party members and it cast cure on a random monster. I tried to cast Ultima and it only hit one random monster. :D Pretty fun no?
I still also believe that those NULL bytes still have some function. In fact, I refuse to believe they're worthless.  I know that it's not Index, MP Cost, Element, Attack Properties, Sound, Status Changes, Additional Effects, or Attack Attribute. It MIGHT have to do with linked materia.
My theory about these is this: These eight bytes (or at least, the last seven) are a sort of template of things to pass to the battle engine. When an object is selected (be it magic, summon, item, monster, or player), data appropriate to this action are copied into this string and sent to the battle engine to handle. I know that setting byte 0x01 overrides ANY targeting information the attack might have, even if the cursor only points to a single target on the opposite side of the field. Now it's possible that these two NULLS deal with multipliers (which I'd have no way of tracing). Even playing around with different values in these I could never see any difference in the way the battle occurred.

Yet another tiny update: Additional Effect 0x23 on the Attack Tab should read "Receive no Gil from enemy hit by this attack".

CyberPirate:
I know you said you was going to edit so we can edit the Command tab, and it seems like you figured it out as well. But is there really a way to edit the materia to create more cuts, or would that be impossible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version