Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Higher Resolution (v1.00)(Discontinued, use Aali's driver)  (Read 374105 times)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
[BETA RELEASE] Higher Resolution FFVIIPC [v1.00]
« Reply #525 on: 2005-11-21 16:48:11 »
okay, ill try later

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 2005-11-21 21:40:31 »
Quote from: dziugo
What about changing main exe to read needed files? It's hardcoded in ff7.exe so any hex-editor will do... I think...

dziugo

I guess if someone can provide me with the executables and the filenames to change for each version, I can create some kind of international patch.

Leiw

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 2005-11-21 23:07:59 »
Quote from: Grisu
a new error:
when i run the ff7 WITHOUT Nvidia settings and 320x240 and without D3Drendering, i get the eidos-video, then the game crashes

[EDIT] this occures any time i play with 320x240

Who cares about 320x240 ?

but2002

• View Profile
    • http://www.allgamingnetwork.co.nr
« Reply #528 on: 2005-11-22 01:01:56 »
"the saint", Can you make a 1024x768 version of the patch? Because a LOT of people cant afford a good moniter. PLEASE!? :)  :(  :)  :(

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #529 on: 2005-11-22 06:08:44 »
or could u just mak an antialiasing patch for ati cards?
my laptop has justgot a resolutiion of 1280x800 soicantplay ur patch and i havent got a better monitor :D

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 2005-11-22 06:30:20 »
I know you said previously that adding support for resolutions besides those of a 4:3 aspect ratio is very difficult, but is there a chance that support could be added for 5:4 aspect ratios or dare I say widescreen 16:10, 15:9, 16:9 aspect ratios? in the range of 1680x1050? That would be awesome, but from what I understand not an easy thing to accomplish.

TazDef

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 2005-11-22 10:56:14 »
Quote from: The SaiNt

I guess if someone can provide me with the executables and the filenames to change for each version, I can create some kind of international patch.

The executables can be found in the FinalFantasy FAQ. It' s a sticky thread. The first one i think.

The filelist for the german version can be found in my Tutorial what can be found here:

..\data\cd\cr_gm.lgp
..\data\cd\disc_gm.lgp
..\data\menu\menu_gm.lgp
..\data\wm\world_gm.lgp
..\data\minigame\high-ge.lgp (YES it's "-" in stead of "_")
..\data\minigame\snowboard-ge.lgp (YES it's "-" in stead of "_")

-> into filename_us.lgp (ie. ..\data\cd\cr_gm.lgp -> ..\data\cd\cr_us.lgp)

6. Remove the language-letter form follwing files:

..\FFVII\data\field\gflevel.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gchocobo.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gcondor.lgp
..\FFVII\data\minigame\gsub.lgp

(ie. ..\FFVII\data\field\gflevel.lgp -> ..\FFVII\data\field\flevel.lgp)

I guess this should it be.
I hope this helps.
Regards

taz

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #532 on: 2005-11-22 13:04:15 »
is there a way to play ff7 ona resolution less than or equal 1280x800 and AA with a ATI X700 and dont have the gridlines?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #533 on: 2005-11-22 17:18:38 »
@The Saint: could umake a patch with that players can play ff7 with AA and without a grid? or would that be too much work or impossible?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 2005-11-23 04:59:56 »
*smacks grisu* Don't double post, and read the f-king thread!

Saint implemeneted no-gridline AA several versions back.  Somewhere in the middle of this thread, i think...

And i aslo asked him at the time to make an independant aa patch, and he has said no for the time being.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #535 on: 2005-11-23 19:03:11 »
oh, sorry for the double post, please delete it, admin!

ok, now the high-res patch works for me in windowed mode, since my monitor just has 1280x800 so a bit of the picture is missing.
is there any way to "compress" the picture, so that the 960 pixels are just 800?

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 2005-11-24 05:42:16 »
If he could do that, that would be very nice. However, that would be changing the Aspect Ratio to 16:10 instead of a normal 4:3 / 5:4 resolution and that might not be as easy as it sounds. Here's to hoping for that though. Are you playing this game on a laptop?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #537 on: 2005-11-24 06:12:14 »
ya

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 2005-11-24 07:23:58 »
is there anyway to modify this patch so that its compatible with FF8?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 2005-11-24 09:17:10 »
starlith: this patch actually changes ff7's game code, so, that would be a big fat no.  Someone would have to take ff8 and make the changes manually, then set up a patcher to make those changes on other people's systems, which is all this patch does.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: 2005-11-25 02:47:18 »
I have a great idea!  Let us ask The SaiNt to quit his job, then begin work on some other problems I've noticed.  The list is as follows:

1) Scrap his entire project and rewrite the entire game engines for all Final Fantasy games.  Imagine FFIII with the power of the Doom III engine!

2) Maybe help the entire world in general.  Cure some of those pesky diseases such as; cancer, diabeties, heart disease, hiv/aids, common cold, flu, and eradictate athlete's foot.

3) How about trying to accomplish that whole "walk on water" thing.  It has been over two millenia since that has been accomplished I think...it's long overdue.

I just thought this could be a valuable contribution to his project's topic.  I'm not trying to clutter up this topic at all.  Why, if it wasn't for posts like this one, this topic may only be a reasonable ten pages.

Who wants a topic full of project support, praise, maybe a few technical questions about the patch.  I love how people will register, post the same questions that have been answered two pages back.  Their exuse, "I tried to read the whole thing but couldn't."  You can't succeed in reading twenty pages, but hey trouble people with the same mindless questions.

I adore the posts I'd like to call "The Wishlist Posts."  These are wonderful!  Insult the project by stating what "improvments" or "additions" should be made to suit you.  "My monitor only supports X resolution, so if you could rewrite your entire patch for me that would be great!"  This is complete disrespect, and it makes me sick.

I know I'm not the oldest "registered" person in this forum, but I have been watching this forum for quite some time.  When the idea of this patch was even first posted, everyone was excited and supportive.  Now it is out, and all people do is bitch about it.  You don't like the two resolutions The SaiNt has made available?  Go buy another damn monitor!  You can get a cheap CRT monitor for under $100 that will have either of the two resolutions.

I already know that this post will have no effect.  Why?  Because some moron who will register two weeks from now will make a post on page 25 about all the same "complaints" and "wish list posts" that have been made prior.  It's a shame that such a great addition for this community is being insulted by the community.

Sad Jari

« Reply #541 on: 2005-11-25 03:08:55 »
Wasn't this supposed to be the wrong way? :P I seem to recall hearing an assload of bitching about it from certain people.

Or is it OK for you to be offensive? :lol: Double standard, perhaps?

Or did you just change your mind about it?

...it couldn't be that you are sucking up, seeing that there's talk about splitting the forum into smart and not-so-smart people?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #542 on: 2005-11-25 08:45:25 »
Wow, it's bitching about bitching, and then bitching about bitching about bitching! Meta-bitching!

Seriously though, I don't think the problem is that people comment on SaiNt's hard work by suggesting new features and fixes. As a developer, I know that we usually do appreciate ideas for the next step of our projects. The problem would be the lack of good, realistic ideas. Some people have absolutely no idea how ridiculous their suggestions are (in terms of "fix", "improvement" or "completely new project"), while others don't bother first checking if what they're wondering has already been said and answered. Most appear generally ungrateful by not commenting at all on what has already been done (through long nights of blood, sweat and tears) and just comment on what would be needed to make the patch a good thing in their eyes.

I realize that a project like this for a game as popular as this does get quite desirable and widespread through word of mouth, so there'll be a lot of people who just catch wind of the patch and see that it's almost usable for them. Still, I imagine it's not very motivational to read that 90% of the response to your work consists of people less intelligent than you feeling a need to ineloquently inform you that your work is inadequate.

I don't think this is going to change much, no matter how hard we try, whenever there's a high-profile project. Possibly we can limit the effects in the future when we'll have public and private areas, so that foremost the classy people can comment on the work, with a public "junk" thread for anyone's suggestions. Something like that would at least make it easier to sort the decent suggestions and comments from the rotten-awful ones.

In closing, no need to get steamed up over it. We've danced this dance before, and for now raising your voice about it isn't going to help much.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 2005-11-25 11:26:30 »
No Sad Jari, it's not the wrong way.  In your topic, which is dead now, yes I thought you came off on the offensive.

Quote from: Sad Jari
what the fsck is wrong with you people

Yes, I found that offensive in your first post of you topic.  I also completely agreed with your standpoint on your grammar topic.  And yes I switched over to "the dark side," if you will.  After only spending a short time here, I'm really fed up with some of the posts here.  Just search for the posts made by  xXSephirothXx.

I now understand what you were trying to do in your topic Sad Jari, and I respect you for it.  You knew you were going to get a lot of crap for it, but you did get my attention and others just by the way you came off.  You took a "shock jock" type of approach and it did work.

Quote from: Sad Jari
..it couldn't be that you are sucking up

I'm not really sure why I would be doing that.  With the forums present state, I would be too busy if I kissed up and was made an administrator. :D  And I'm not trying to make new friends to invite to by birthday party.  Whatever happens with the new forum, happens.  The not-so-smart people section of the forum would be just like the current forum, without of course some of the folks I actually talk to here.  I was just making my point on something I am very disturbed about.  Nobody should tarnish The SaiNt's, or anyone's, hard work with these insults.

I apologize in advance.  I know these last few posts have been off topic.  I just hope some of the potential offenders see this.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 2005-11-26 03:02:28 »
Quote from: Qhimm

Seriously though, I don't think the problem is that people comment on SaiNt's hard work by suggesting new features and fixes. As a developer, I know that we usually do appreciate ideas for the next step of our projects. The problem would be the lack of good, realistic ideas. Some people have absolutely no idea how ridiculous their suggestions are (in terms of "fix", "improvement" or "completely new project"), while others don't bother first checking if what they're wondering has already been said and answered. Most appear generally ungrateful by not commenting at all on what has already been done (through long nights of blood, sweat and tears) and just comment on what would be needed to make the patch a good thing in their eyes.

I think that's the annoying part.  Might I suggest you use your awesome, admin-like powers to perhaps split this thread up (ie prune out all the "useless" psots, like, well, this whole page so far?)

I realize that a project like this for a game as popular as this does get quite desirable and widespread through word of mouth, so there'll be a lot of people who just catch wind of the patch and see that it's almost usable for them. Still, I imagine it's not very motivational to read that 90% of the response to your work consists of people less intelligent than you feeling a need to ineloquently inform you that your work is inadequate.

Time for me to get on MY soap box for a moment...

*ahem*

Ok, seriously, WHO KEEPS SPILLING THE BEANS?!  I've seen posts for tech support for various patches that came from THIS forum, all over the web (Ac.net, gamefaqs, etc).  So that means some idiot(s?) is going around, promoting and distributing NON-finished products, made to be tested out by reasonably intelligent people, NOT miscontuted as a finished product to be used by any idiot.  I just feel that there's something wrong with that, and, i wish that whoever keeps trying to be some second-hand tech-mesiah by telling all their ignorant, 13 year old friends about the work on these forums would CUT IT OUT, at least until the projects in question are complete.  There's a reason i don't have this patch or the high poly-models patch or the Mini games patcher on ff7-universe yet; they're in BETA, and the last thing i want is to have to answer e-mails about "why doesn't this work" (And as far as the MGP goes, it's a command line program, and i doubt many people would understand that; its readme does not contain adaquite usage instructions)... My only recourse would be to link the complaining parties back here... and the problem starts all over again.

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 2005-11-26 04:08:32 »
Yeah I hate it how people put in requests to change the resolution or add the 'x' feature to this patch because it is a total lack of respect to the Saint.
Reading through all this I would just like to say thanks to the Saint for putting up with peoples useless requests and bitching. Also thanks for all the hard work and effort he's put into making the patch public use. Assuming he's still alive after whats been happening :-?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #546 on: 2005-11-26 17:17:52 »
Hey, i've got some problems with the high-res patch:

* I cant get into the "exchange-materia-screen", the game crashes
* I can't play "snowboard-minigame", it skips the game after i paid for it in
  Gold Saucer
* I can't play the "Underwater-minigame", the game crashes
* The colors of the texture of the entry of Gold Saucer are negative

Does anyone know some of thos problems or how to fix them?

Grisu

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 2005-11-27 06:20:38 »
Sounds like you have either a downloaded, or "not full install" version on your comp.  In either case, we cannot help you.  Only the "Full install" of the retail version of ff7 (with 1.02 applied) will work correctly.

Try playing these parts w/out the high-res patch.  I figure there's a 99% chance they won't work anyway.

I'd say "make sure TNT is checked", but the game (w/ high-res applied) won't work period unless it's checked off anyway *shrugs*.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #548 on: 2005-11-27 07:00:23 »
No, i surely have a full installation of he original game.
But i have a "mini-game-patch" applied to make them slower, could it be that?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: 2005-11-27 09:31:23 »
if you screwed up the mini games patcher, it might be, but, i dont see why your video card would then invert colors becasue of said patch.