Author Topic: Gypt has saved my ass a few times already, but...  (Read 9913 times)

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
I really do enjoy the parts of the game that need to be skipped (Cosmo Canyon Observatory, Date Scene).  Is there any chance the problems will ever be pinpointed and fixed? 

Do we already know what causes it (your computers OS, where the movies are read from, something else)?  And if so, is there any hope of a solution that will ever allow us to actually play through these parts?

Swampthing15

• View Profile
Re: Gypt has saved my ass a few times already, but...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-12 22:29:23 »
ummm...well ive played thru all of those things already....and i havent had a problem...it might be a mod or patch im using but i can say its not a windows xp problem and my movies are read from the disk...although i plan on changing that soon...

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-12 23:10:43 »
My brother says he has no problem either and he also runs XP, I have Vista unfortunately.  If its a Vista problem hopefully there is a true fix, besides just "skip that scene" is what I'm getting at.  There has to be something thats causing the problem.

Basically the main issue is the game won't read fmv scenes that combine with gameplay.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-13 00:09:24 »
idk much about vista...just use it when im fixing problems on it for ppl, lol but does it have a compatitbility mode like xp does? that might help...

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-13 00:29:20 »
idk much about vista...just use it when im fixing problems on it for ppl, lol but does it have a compatitbility mode like xp does? that might help...

Yeah, but I've tried that, and it doesn't do a thing.  I've copied the movies over to my hard drive and that doesn't improve things, and I've noticed many other people have had these problems as well.  I'm extremely thankful Gypt came up with a simple enough solution to skip these scenes, but I'm wondering if its possible to analyze exactly what the problem is and allow it to run properly? 

Obviously its an 11 year-old game so you can't expect much, but it would be nice... at this point I'd prefer a true fix to all video problems over any new mods for the game.

Also to reiterate exactly my problems (which I've seen others on this forum have shared by searching through old posts), its essentially that the 3D characters and the FMV's will not synch up at all. 

After the opening movie, when you should see them jump off the train, my screen turns black and I have to enter and exit the menu to see anything. 

Any other sequence that combines the 3D models with FMV (such as Sector 7 tower falling, going up the elevator in Junon, taking the tram to Gold Saucer) has the same problems, I often have to enter and exit the menu after the FMV plays to see the screen, and the 3D model does not move with the FMV.

And then of course, the Cosmo Canyon and Gondola Date scenes are completely impassable. 

« Last Edit: 2008-04-13 01:23:06 by HeavensCloud »

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-13 07:25:44 »
does anyone really know what causes these problems to begin with? i haven't reached cosmo canyon or the chocobo race yet but so far my game hasn't had any problems and i really hope i don't have any problems there when i reach it

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-13 08:06:52 »
does anyone really know what causes these problems to begin with? i haven't reached cosmo canyon or the chocobo race yet but so far my game hasn't had any problems and i really hope i don't have any problems there when i reach it

Scouring these forums the best I could surmise is its mostly got to do with codecs and OS's.  XP users posted with a lot of trouble up to a couple of years ago but they seem to have gotten by adjusting codecs, but more recently it seems Vista users are popping up with problems and obviously as the game gets older and people frequent forums like these less and less, help is harder to find.

If you're running XP you can probably find a fix IF you run into any problems by searching the forums, however Vista seems to have no option but to skip these movies for now at least (that or the problem is more specific and we just don't know it yet).

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-04-13 10:15:37 »
good advice and btw i need to ask if it's common to skip an FMV sequence with gypt and then see everything at least 2X faster than it should be? and if it is common how do i change the speed back (though i don't think i need to skip any FMV's yet

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #8 on: 2008-04-13 10:29:17 »
It is common if you press the skip FMV shortcut twice in a short period of time (or once if the FMV is not playing). Alt-tabbing to windows and getting back to FF7 usually restores the normal speed.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-04-14 00:03:16 »
lol, a reply from the maker himself thanks ill try that next time

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-04-14 00:34:04 »
so was that intended or just a sweet bug? cause i use it alot...

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #11 on: 2008-04-14 06:46:38 »
I'd say "It's not a bug, it's a feature", but yeah, it's actually a bug :P

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-04-14 08:03:49 »
oh and btw dziugo if i haven't already said so, thanks for making YAMP because now i don't have to deal with ridiculously fast minigames...i played the highway speed chase without it and needless to say my entire party died before i even got to fight motorball (not literally but they all had like 1 HP)

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-04-14 11:57:15 »
Glad that I could be of any help.

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-04-15 03:33:23 »
OMG, JUST FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!!!

"Hi, first post here  grin, ok, i was having the exact same problem and i had k-lite codec pack installed, maybe you are on a similar situation

the game apparently has some incompatibility with the avi splitter, a filter that comes with some codec packs. you can either uninstall it or disable it, in k-lite codec pack this can be done by acessing the Codec Tweak tool that comes together, under "disable filter" tab find Avi Splitter (Gabest) and check it, there you go, hope this helps "

From poster megarushing in a thread in Tech Support.  Someone PLEASE ADD THIS TO ONE OF THE FAQ's, as it seems many people have this problem.  THIS WILL ALSO SOLVE THE COSMO CANYON AND DATE SCENE BUGS.
« Last Edit: 2008-04-15 07:23:24 by HeavensCloud »

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-04-15 03:49:13 »
Dziugo, I love you for Gypt, but I think you should edit those threads to include this fix in them in case that is the root of the problem.  It may kill the need for Gypt but its for a good cause!  :-D

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008-04-15 06:39:14 »
Sounds good.

StandardFiend

« Reply #17 on: 2008-05-25 19:54:53 »
Just tried killing the AVI Splitter, and it worked perfectly... I'm real mad now  :-P. So, dzugio, if you got my email for a playthrough request, you can disregard it.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-05-25 20:36:04 »
Sure StardandFriend, consider your email disregarded.