Author Topic: FF7 help PLEASE!  (Read 3480 times)

dragoran

FF7 help PLEASE!
« on: 2005-11-01 20:28:13 »
heya guys. i just got FF7 for PC on my computer. The only way it works is if i install everything straight off the CD, and run it at the lowest resolution. Even then, i can play for one straight run through the game, but as soon as i turn the game off, it wont let me back into the game...i get a black screen immediately after trying to run it, and it kicks me out. When i install patch 1.02 the game freezes at the opening screen and i cant get past new game. I also downloaded riva tuner and disabled 8bit textures, but that isnt working either. i also downloaded the newest drivers for my GeForce 4 Ti 4200, and tried varying combinations, but nothing has worked except just reinstallign the damn thing. anyone have suggestions?

dragoran

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: 2005-11-01 21:25:29 »
Umm.... That doesn't make much sense, if you ask me.

I have yet updated my drivers. But, the 77.77 video driver worked with FF7PC, the last time I tried the game.  Works fine with the TNT patch too. Mainly because the 8bit pallet is disabled in that version by default.

The TNT patch is only used to get Hardware mode working. But, you shouldn't be jumping through that hoop. You need to get it working in Software mode, before tackling Hardware mode. So, forget about installing any sort of patches, until you can get the game working in Software mode.

Black screen can be caused by a number of things. But, if you're using Software mode. You probably need to install the movie player that is in the setup menu. Most likely the codec for the movies, isn't installed.

But...I never heard of someone able to play the game after the install, and then it breaking after that.

dragoran

haha, believe it...
« Reply #2 on: 2005-11-02 06:06:34 »
yeah, i actually just downloaded the high res patch, just out of curiousity to see if it would work, and it started right up, i loaded up some old saves and took it to town for 3 hours. i stopped to leave for work, and when i came back, every time i load it, it crashes in the game. damn it

alright, in follow up to the last post....It started up just fine the first time, just like i said. When i get on now, i can load my saves and it takes me to the screen...as soon as i try to go to menu, or i leave the scene im in, the game crashes. And everytime it crashes, for some reason, it copies all the files from my final fantasy folder, namely the ones from the 1.02 patch, onto my desktop....this merits a WTF from me, cause i have no fuckin idea why its doing this. and no matter what i do, despite the fact the settings are the same as before, i cant get the damn thing to work...sigh, why did they have to make this so difficult....

Mod Edit #1: Moved to Game-Tweaking
Mod Edit #2: Do not double-post

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #3 on: 2005-11-02 16:25:27 »
maybe you should try to make clean install and check if it works for you...

Threesixty

• View Profile
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #4 on: 2005-11-02 20:16:43 »
Don't know....

All I can suggest is to uninstall everything..... And then do a Full Installation of the game. Don't install any patches....not a one. And see if it works. You should be seeing movies when you first start the game. I think the Squaresoft logo shows up first and a bunch of Chocobos run across the screen or something. That is one of the first AVI movies in the game. If your not seeing that and going straight into that newgame menu then most likely the movie player/codecs for the game aren't installed.

The introduction movies may be more forgiving than the actual movies that activate in the game, itself. But I'm only guessing, here. It's a guess mainly based on the fact that you can cut the intros short with keyboard presses. Although...you should have already activate a lot of movies, already.... Beats me, what's wrong.

You're using WinXP, right? If you're using Win2000, that could be a problem. Win2000 doesn't like FF7PC.

And you *are* using the original game, right? If not...then that could be the problem onto itself. Would explain a lot, actually. In which case I suggest going Playstation and using that instead of your PC. Less headaches.

dragoran

FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #5 on: 2005-11-02 20:55:20 »
i am in using win xp, and i am using the original game, made for the PC anyways. I have installed, and uninstalled....alot. when i reinstall, put everything on the lowest settings, i can get the game to play for a while, even though it looks like crap. as soon as i turn it off however, once i try to get back in the program immediatey crashes...i could just uninstall and reinstall every time i want to play :P

Nighthawk

• View Profile
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #6 on: 2005-11-02 23:24:24 »
Have you downloaded the XP patch? That is widely known to only screw up the game. And, what are your computer specs?

Threesixty

• View Profile
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #7 on: 2005-11-03 15:34:12 »
:-?  
Well.... you found a new one, because I've never heard of such a problem.

dragoran

FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #8 on: 2005-11-03 17:26:18 »
well, thats....comforting?

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
FF7 help PLEASE!
« Reply #9 on: 2005-11-03 18:06:38 »
damn no :D
Try winxp patch as Nighthawk sugested and maybe combatibility mode.
Also nvidia 1.02 patch.

In any of those combinations.