Author Topic: FF7 Music (outdated)  (Read 296591 times)

Danilov

Re: The Idiots Guide To FF7Music (JK xD)
« Reply #100 on: 2007-04-13 05:28:55 »
You have to choose another midi device in config.exe that will support volume control.

Done that. None of them do.

I'm running Vista, and if it's mixer has an option for turning down specific devices, I can't seem to find it. I can mute the specific applications, but in that case I'll lose fx as well.

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2007-04-13 15:45:09 »
EDIT: Well, I fixed the crashing problem, but now I have another one. I chose, because I love AC's soundtrack, to put in Those Who Fight Further from that cd instead of Still More Fighting from the OST for boss battle music. Now the AC random battle music shows up and assume any other tracks I changed will too (haven't gotten past the first boss yet), but not the boss battle. I took out the mp3 from the OST and it still plays it, so I can only assume that it's playing the midi. I've got ff7 music config to disable midi on custom playback, but that didn't fix it either. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 2007-04-14 19:15:03 by #Sen-chan# »

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #102 on: 2007-04-15 14:33:38 »
I'm running Vista, and if it's mixer has an option for turning down specific devices, I can't seem to find it. I can mute the specific applications, but in that case I'll lose fx as well.

Right-click the Volume icon on the taskbar.
Click "Playback devices."
Select your device and click "Properties."
Go to the "Levels" tab.

jmdphys

« Reply #103 on: 2007-04-16 16:27:40 »
Try putting this file into data\midi (backup the previous version of awe.lgp first!) and setting the midi device to soundfont mid (awe32/64) whatever in ff7config. 

This is a file full of very short blank midi files instead of the proper music, so the game still thinks it's playing midis but they're silent.

I made the file using ficedula's lgp editor - if you look inside it, the file names are completely meaningless so it won't help.  The only problem i get is an occasional crash of ff7music, but the game continues.  You can switch to desktop and restart ff7music no problem which sorts it out, but would be good if anyone knows a way around this.

Hope this helps - i spent so long trying to get ff7 working on vista x64 and finally it does with good music! Enjoy :D

go here and download the file http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.daniel/

btw - this is my first post on a forum anywhere - any feedback would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: 2007-04-16 16:40:52 by jmdphys »

cloud9

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2007-04-20 19:11:59 »
hello guys, this is my first post!  :-)

to continue...

I've manage to make ff7music to work w/o any problems. so I've been stop playing ff7 for like 4 weeks cause I'm playing something else. when i run ff7music again, the music just don't play and i tried the ff7_lessdebug and it didn't work cause it was a defective download (can you give a link to download, thanks.). it stop working when i delete something in my startup in the msconfig. something like sound... I'm only uncheck all of the startups except the antiviruses, firewall and spyware, so my PC can boot faster. I only deleting for something suspicious.

the mp3 work but i need the ff7_lessdebug. the psf however does not work. i tried it with winamp and it doesn't work. It works the last time i used it.

djsolidsnake86

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2007-05-26 10:17:01 »
ultima edition has mp3 files?

zach9044

« Reply #106 on: 2007-05-30 20:48:12 »
hello I have been reading on theses forums but just now registered and I am having a problem with the FF7 music.

I did everything it said to do on the first page and I tested out the Psf's with the older version of FF7 music and the worked perfectly. I am using mp3's this time and the DLL files are ok.

and did everything according to the instructions .

My problem is that when I click the "run FF7" button it looks like it's loading but it doesn't do anything  and I check in the tasks  and it says that it's running and thats it.

I tried restarting my pc to see if maybe that would work but still no go

any ideas?

I have the official xp patch by the way if thats any help.

check that  I fixed it  it was because of  the old cetra patch I had to restore the backup

but now I have no music  in the game I  will try renaming the files.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-30 22:12:08 by zach9044 »

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #107 on: 2007-06-03 12:26:29 »
Hi I've got a problem with FF7Music, when i set it that it plays the minipsf-files (or other sound-files, whatever), the music is double in-game, the normal midis and the music of FF7Music plays, even if i set the "Mute MIDI on custom playback"-option.
When i set the music-volume in-game to 0, the soundeffects disappear too, even if i dont touch the FX-Bar at all, it's value is 100 all the time.
So is there another way to mute the in-game MIDIS?

jmdphys

« Reply #108 on: 2007-06-07 10:22:01 »
Hi I've got a problem with FF7Music, when i set it that it plays the minipsf-files (or other sound-files, whatever), the music is double in-game, the normal midis and the music of FF7Music plays, even if i set the "Mute MIDI on custom playback"-option.
When i set the music-volume in-game to 0, the soundeffects disappear too, even if i dont touch the FX-Bar at all, it's value is 100 all the time.
So is there another way to mute the in-game MIDIS?

Use my file as posted above - it does actually do the job!  No midi sound at all as all midis are made to be silent.

Palmtree

« Reply #109 on: 2007-06-10 18:41:36 »
Hey all, first post :)

I was just wondering what the differences are between the different formats. Ok I know midi files are horrible, but what about psf vs mp3.

I have to be honest in the fact that I can't tell the difference between them. Are mp3s really that much better that it's worth it to use them? what about performance? Does one format tax the system more than the other? Even though I can't really tell the difference between the formats, I still want the best audio quality possible. I also like the fact that with mp3s you can substitute songs for the AC versions, is this possible with psf? I know AC songs aren't available in minipsf format, but is it possible to encode to it?

One last question, I love the ability to use better quality versions of music rather than the midi tracks, but what I don't like is how they loop. with the midi tracks, it seems like some of them have an intro, then really get into the song, and when it loops, it loops seemlessly with the part of the track after the intro... so the song just sounds like it keeps going. Ok, it's been a while since I listened to the midis, so this could be all in my head... but will FF7Music ever be able to loop like that? Rather than playing the track, fading out, and then fading in at the beginning of the song again?

Off topic but still related to this being my first post, I'm glad to be a member of this great community, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way to help make this game even better!

Palmtree

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2007-06-10 20:14:32 »
thats the difference right there

psf's can loop, mp3's can't

the psf player is slightly more taxing though and there's an annoying first-load delay

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #111 on: 2007-06-10 20:42:09 »

Use my file as posted above - it does actually do the job!  No midi sound at all as all midis are made to be silent.

Thanks for the answer, but I've already found an easier way: I just deleted all the files from the midi.lgp (with Highwind) and now FF7 cant play MIDIs but FF7Music plays my MP3s  :lol:

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2007-06-10 21:29:44 »
Hey all, first post :)

I was just wondering what the differences are between the different formats. Ok I know midi files are horrible, but what about psf vs mp3.

I have to be honest in the fact that I can't tell the difference between them. Are mp3s really that much better that it's worth it to use them? what about performance? Does one format tax the system more than the other? Even though I can't really tell the difference between the formats, I still want the best audio quality possible. I also like the fact that with mp3s you can substitute songs for the AC versions, is this possible with psf? I know AC songs aren't available in minipsf format, but is it possible to encode to it?

One last question, I love the ability to use better quality versions of music rather than the midi tracks, but what I don't like is how they loop. with the midi tracks, it seems like some of them have an intro, then really get into the song, and when it loops, it loops seemlessly with the part of the track after the intro... so the song just sounds like it keeps going. Ok, it's been a while since I listened to the midis, so this could be all in my head... but will FF7Music ever be able to loop like that? Rather than playing the track, fading out, and then fading in at the beginning of the song again?

Off topic but still related to this being my first post, I'm glad to be a member of this great community, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way to help make this game even better!

Palmtree

The .psf and .minipsf formats are actually MIDI files at their core, coupled with the custom instrument sounds off the psx disc.  When you play one of them, the computer is actually emulating the PSX sound chip's MIDI functions -- this isn't a direct audio format like .mp3 or .wav.  Ideally, you should be using the psf files if what you're looking for is the highest quality version of the PSX songs.  As far as the AC songs are concerned, it would take a LOT of dedication, as well as development tools used for making PSX-compatible instrument samples, and new MIDI data saved in whatever binary format .psf files are compiled in, to make .psf versions of the AC songs.

So, you'll sorta be stuck with mp3 for that.

Palmtree

« Reply #113 on: 2007-06-11 15:26:20 »
Thanks Aali and Goku7 for the help, I think I'll stick to the minipsf files after all :)

twipley

• View Profile
    • custom user page on wikipedia
« Reply #114 on: 2007-06-28 01:06:14 »
Thanks for the answer, but I've already found an easier way: I just deleted all the files from the midi.lgp (with Highwind) and now FF7 cant play MIDIs but FF7Music plays my MP3s  :lol:
Hey, Christian.

Thanks! this, and only this, worked!!!
(use General MIDI as MIDI device in FF7Config, though)

Winter

« Reply #115 on: 2007-07-01 15:36:14 »
Hi guys,

I'm using Vista and wanted to play FF7 with FF7Music.
It works fine, but I've got one problem - when I mute the main volume in the game, there is no SFX effects, but the music is played by FF7Music.
How to set it up correctly under Vista? I had no problems with XP.

savage-xp

• View Profile
Re: STICKY: FF7 Music
« Reply #116 on: 2007-07-03 16:44:26 »
Vista 64? if so can you have the kind of sending you Final Fantasy Folder ziped with the exe files include de music patch?

Winter

« Reply #117 on: 2007-07-04 16:39:39 »
Nah, I'm using the 32-bit version of Vista.

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2007-07-04 23:02:53 »
My Vista problem with FF7music is similar.
Midi and ff7music play at the same time because there's no way in Vista that you can change the midi controls seperate to the Master Volume to mute so if you try and mute or even turn down the music in Final Fantasy VII then the sound gets turned down as well.
I've tried editing the registry so that FF7 does not have a midi device but this disables all sound trying to go through FF7.
Solutions anyone?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #119 on: 2007-07-04 23:08:37 »
The controls are in Vista, just a bit hidden.

Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar.
Select "Playback devices."
Select your device and click "Properties."
Then go to the "levels" tab.
You can adjust the volume of different components here.

I actually think this might work only if you have a hardware MIDI solution, not with the built-in Microsoft software synth (since I don't see an option to control that on my list).  :-\

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2007-07-05 05:11:03 »
Yea the only midi device on the computer is the Microsoft Synthesizer which isn't listed in speaker properties.
This means we must find a way to destroy it or add a controllable midi device.
Know of any good software ones available that work on Vista?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #121 on: 2007-07-05 10:02:13 »
Hi guys,

I'm using Vista and wanted to play FF7 with FF7Music.
It works fine, but I've got one problem - when I mute the main volume in the game, there is no SFX effects, but the music is played by FF7Music.
How to set it up correctly under Vista? I had no problems with XP.
I've got the same Problem.
The easiest solution to mute the MIDI is:
Open midi.lgp with Highwind and click "Remove all". Then click "save" (enabling the backup function).
then you'll have a midi.lgp that wont play midis and a backup with all the music if you need it and the game wont play music and FF7Music will (set General MIDI in FF7Config).

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2007-07-05 10:17:46 »
Try putting this file into data\midi (backup the previous version of awe.lgp first!) and setting the midi device to soundfont mid (awe32/64) whatever in ff7config. 

This is a file full of very short blank midi files instead of the proper music, so the game still thinks it's playing midis but they're silent.

I made the file using ficedula's lgp editor - if you look inside it, the file names are completely meaningless so it won't help.  The only problem i get is an occasional crash of ff7music, but the game continues.  You can switch to desktop and restart ff7music no problem which sorts it out, but would be good if anyone knows a way around this.

Hope this helps - i spent so long trying to get ff7 working on vista x64 and finally it does with good music! Enjoy :D

go here and download the file http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.daniel/

btw - this is my first post on a forum anywhere - any feedback would be much appreciated!

For vista try this method if you can't be bothered editing the midi.lgp file because I just tested it and it worked. So now I can play with FF7music with no annoying midi running in the background and the sound is still going.

Thanks for the file jmd works great :)
« Last Edit: 2007-07-05 10:21:55 by Starlith »

Winter

« Reply #123 on: 2007-07-07 14:11:06 »
Christian@Your method works great - thx!
But I experience a bit problem with FF7Music after fixing another. It's about resuming tracks, when I play the game and move from one scene to another, the track starts again - even if it's set to Selective or None. What the?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #124 on: 2007-07-07 16:57:14 »
Yes! I have the exact same problem, AND i have had the same first problem with the double-midi and volume control.
Seems like those are Vista-related problems. Does anyone know a solution for this, cause i couldnt find one this time...