Read this first! > FAQs and Tutorials

The Rules

<< < (2/9) > >>

obesebear:
Just discovered this http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4241.0 Jari's first post is basically exactly how I run things.

Kudistos Megistos:

--- Quote from: obesebear on 2010-07-23 08:04:54 ---Just discovered this http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4241.0 Jari's first post is basically exactly how I run things.

--- End quote ---

There's a context to that post; be wary of taking it at face value. When Jari was an admin, or at least when he was in his most recent stint as admin, he was quite sparing with his powers and only really used them for major offences and repeat offences. Besides the Mako incident, and to a certain extent, the ongoing Seifer saga, none of his decisions caused any controversy IIRC.

There were also, I assume, a different set of rules at the time; I doubt he was talking about banning people for not knowing what board a topic should go into. More likely, it's using mod powers for stuff that should be obvious like Ultima editions and ridiculous double and necroposts. I might be wrong, but since no-one in that thread made too much of an issue, I'm going to assume the rules that were talked about were pretty uncontroversial ones.

BTW, it doesn't deal at all with the specific rules that I'm criticising. I'm still waiting to hear why having a large proportion of the forum's posts going in one board was so bad that the current situation, in which general is a far worse catch-all board than game tweaking ever was and in which people are getting moderated because they don't know what board posts go in, is preferable.

EDIT:

I have made a post in the "My suggestion to make the site flow better" thread.

obesebear:
I said Jari's post is how i run things.  Not that we're reliving those days and the exact same situations apply.

It's preferable because that is how I've chosen to do things.  And no one has been moderated for posting in the wrong section, only warned; hell some have just been deleted... no warnings at all.  Happy yet?

Kudistos Megistos:

--- Quote from: obesebear on 2010-07-23 16:06:05 ---And no one has been moderated for posting in the wrong section, only warned
--- End quote ---

Really? I see people with "watched" under their name because they posted something in the wrong forum. I'd call that being moderated. I mean, only mods can do it, and it's an official warning rather than an unofficial one (which most people would see as preferable for minor infringements).

--- Quote from: obesebear on 2010-07-23 16:06:05 ---It's preferable because that is how I've chosen to do things.
--- End quote ---

At least you're being honest.

I suppose that if you'd decided that game tweaking was for discussions about Hermoor, programming feedback was for discussions about FF7Voice and Completely Unrelated was the place for tech support, that would be preferable as well. Obviously, it doesn't matter that the situation would make the forums less usable for everyone; once Judge Dredd makes his decision, it will not be changed.

sl1982:
I understand what you are saying. But bitching at us about it is going to solve nothing. Trust me, if i could have changed the layout of the forums i would have already. I will talk to qhimm when I am able to and see if he can at least change the wording of the sub-forums to make it less confusing for new people.

As for the warning, that is all that it is. Nothing changes for the user except for that little watched icon. Consider it a visual reminder to follow the rules.

As for banning, there is no real ban system. A moderated user will have to submit his post for moderator approval. And a muted user will not be able to post. For the moment there has only been 1 muted user, and I think everyone would agree that he needed to be.

Either way people will bitch. People complained when there was no moderation, people will complain when there is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version