Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)  (Read 251323 times)

monty777

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.4 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #125 on: 2014-07-15 19:32:35 »
Main post updated with hashmap_v1.3. This version should be compatible with Mcindus' next SeeD release, which will be awesome, btw!

Woohooooo, super excited here and thanks Omzy for the update. Cheers.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #126 on: 2014-07-15 21:27:39 »
I made a Tonberry video tutorial for the community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5PTwQVVmo

Still in the process of subtitling it.  What a pain :P

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #127 on: 2014-07-15 23:17:54 »
I made a Tonberry video tutorial for the community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5PTwQVVmo

Still in the process of subtitling it.  What a pain :P

Oh man, good job indeed. And yes, it's a real pain to subtitle that xD If you want I can help you by translating to Spanish.

Omzy

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.5 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #128 on: 2014-07-17 02:20:51 »
Main post updated with Tonberry_v1.5. This .dll release is necessary to support Mcindus' new SeeD project!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: 2014-07-17 02:58:32 »
Thank you Omzy :)

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #130 on: 2014-07-17 03:17:10 »
Main post updated with Tonberry_v1.5. This .dll release is necessary to support Mcindus' new SeeD project!

Wahoo! :D  Amazing news! Testing time!

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2014-07-17 08:17:47 »
Oh man, that's a good new indeed. I can foresee that today I won't do anything but play FF8!! Hahahaha

Thanks again Omzy, you make our lifes way better  ;D ;D ;D

Edit: I have a question for you Omzy. Do you think that Tonberry will work with non-english versions o the game? Because I'm having a real pain with my spanish version, and since you all guys get it working and I can't, even when I do it everything correctly... hmmm... it makes me think...
« Last Edit: 2014-07-17 11:22:41 by JeMaCheHi »

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2014-07-18 18:16:36 »
I have a question for you Omzy. Do you think that Tonberry will work with non-english versions o the game? Because I'm having a real pain with my spanish version, and since you all guys get it working and I can't, even when I do it everything correctly... hmmm... it makes me think...
I see you're having a problem with some of the text. Do you think this text is from sysfld00-01 or iconfl00-03? Are you having a problem with the backgrounds?

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #133 on: 2014-07-18 18:26:37 »
I see you're having a problem with some of the text. Do you think this text is from sysfld00-01 or iconfl00-03? Are you having a problem with the backgrounds?

It sounds like there's a sysfld page that is in the Spanish version that isn't in the English... it's probably the same for any foreign language that has more characters than English.
I also know via 5way that all of the foreign versions don't use the upscaled iconfl00-03, but they just use their own icon.tex (which I do have two replacements currently - they are what we have in 'iconflmaster' in SeeD Reborn's file structure.)

Would we have to have them dump debug images of them in order to have Tonberry access them?  I would do it, but I don't know how to access all of the files. Also, it seems like I would have to have different packs for different languages - since all of the text on the icon.tex image is in that language and not in English.

If I have him debug and send me all of the original files to hash, would we be able to integrate it?  i could do a version of icon.tex (iconflmaster) in spanish and send you the complete mapdata and textures for it that way, right?  Would we have to do this for all other languages, or would I just need to create the new icon.tex for each one?  sysfld should work the same way, but Tonberry might need a new exception, etc.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-18 18:39:12 by Mcindus »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)
« Reply #134 on: 2014-07-18 18:52:14 »
I could send you the German files you need and JeMaCheHi could send you the Spanish ones. Then you might see how they are built. For the different packages I think it's enough if you would make language patches for the main project.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2014-07-18 19:01:17 »
Kaldarasha, do you get some letters replaced in your German version? As 5way said in some post (don't remember where), it looks that the only affected are fonts, but I'm getting some letters working and I'm a little confused. I can't understand why is this happening  :o :o

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2014-07-18 19:11:08 »
Well something hinder me to download the new Seed project. ;D Google refuse to open the tab and my download manager say it's locked (when I thought it has downloaded the Seed project, it has in fact downloaded a older version which was in memory of the tool). But I'm sure I will have the same problems as you, because the older version of FF8 has different files for the languages too.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2014-07-18 19:29:28 »
For each language, I would need all of the memory dumps that differ from the english version. If someone sends those to me, I will try to work on implementing them, but it won't be for a couple of weeks because of some IRL things preventing me from having free time  :'(

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #138 on: 2014-07-19 09:59:26 »
For each language, I would need all of the memory dumps that differ from the english version. If someone sends those to me, I will try to work on implementing them, but it won't be for a couple of weeks because of some IRL things preventing me from having free time  :'(

Don't worry, Omzy - I've got you covered.  Jemachehi has already sent me a dump of everything I think I need to make the spanish version work, so I will send you the mapdata for it while I work on upscaling it :)

Kaldarasha, if you send me a debug dump of all of the icon.tex palettes that you can, I can start putting it the German release together for Omzy too.  OR, I could send you the spanish icon.tex dump that I'm working on so you can see what I'm looking for.  Basically, you're going to have to play the game and trigger certain palettes so that they dump into the debug folder in tonberry so Omzy knows what to hash. 

I found that if you get into a single battle (use a gf, hit someone, use renzokuken, almost die, and then die), go through all menu tutorials, get a status effect (and then check your status via the menu), modify your elem/status atk/def via junctioning and look at any magazines and items you might have, it should dump everything we need to make a first release.

If we can get this done, then Omzy only has to worry about hashing the files and we can let him worry about his real life. :)

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2014-07-19 11:28:03 »
Kaldarasha, if you send me a debug dump of all of the icon.tex palettes that you can, I can start putting it the German release together for Omzy too.  OR, I could send you the spanish icon.tex dump that I'm working on so you can see what I'm looking for.  Basically, you're going to have to play the game and trigger certain palettes so that they dump into the debug folder in tonberry so Omzy knows what to hash. 

I found that if you get into a single battle (use a gf, hit someone, use renzokuken, almost die, and then die), go through all menu tutorials, get a status effect (and then check your status via the menu), modify your elem/status atk/def via junctioning and look at any magazines and items you might have, it should dump everything we need to make a first release.:)

"Uhhm ...
... I'm selling these fine leather jackets."

I thought it would be enough to send you the files for the menu. But I will do what you want from me ...

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2014-07-19 13:20:08 »
Hey guys... Exactly what textures can we use in game now? Project SeeD I guess and  something else?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: 2014-07-19 15:49:34 »
SeeD, Tripod, and Eden for right now.

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #142 on: 2014-07-19 21:54:51 »
"Uhhm ...
... I'm selling these fine leather jackets."

I thought it would be enough to send you the files for the menu. But I will do what you want from me ...

:)  Threepwood!!! Haha.  One of my favorite old games.  Still have the original.
I would do all the sifting through duplicates, I just don't have time.  It was a beast of a few days trying to figure out what to do in game to get the palettes to dump, and I'm still missing two from the English release... someone is bound to point them out, though.   Over the next two days, I have to make video clips for the songs from my band's album, so I'll be keeping up and organizing files and sending stuff to Omzy, but I don't have much time to work on actual upscales.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-04 09:46:38 by Mcindus »

kabooz

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2014-08-04 09:38:57 »
ok I get an unknown exception ... at startup (right after I click play in the launcher after the window opens)
So I tried to use old drivers and new drivers for my graphics card and I reinstalled vcredist for VC++2010 x86
but nothing helps, yes overlay is deactivated and all that stuff.
The instant crash vanishes when I deactivate tonberry or if I set the wrong drive in the prefs.txt (though it then crashes if it encounters custom textures)

Info:
Win7 64bit (English)
Nvidia GTX 570 - driver 314 and 340
Steam on drive E:\
German game version happens on the english version too though...

EDIT:
so windows says the faulty module is AF3DN.P whatever that is.
If no textures present and prefs.txt is set to drive C it starts without problem and I can even dump textures though obviously (or luckily) only noreplace and nomatch show up.
If I try to use it with textures to replace it crashes when it reaches the point when it should replace them windows says the faulty module is d3d9Callback.dll
hope this helps somehow

EDIT2: texture dumping works as long as I don't try to replace textures
« Last Edit: 2014-08-04 19:47:51 by kabooz »

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2014-08-05 01:21:28 »
ok I get an unknown exception ... at startup (right after I click play in the launcher after the window opens)
Have you tried testing by replacing only a single texture first? Also, which texture packs are you using currently? My hunch is that its a problem with a resized texture file or directory structure.

kabooz

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2014-08-05 05:27:23 »
I don't know why but it seems to work now...
I tired with triple triad, project eden and project seed reborn, all of them alone and together -.-
now it just works after a few hours of pen&paper Shadow Run and a few more hours of The "Secret World" I get the error now only if I activate GeDoSaTo (Generic DownSampling Tool) from durante which is logical as it'S an injection hack too those two should not mix without extra work XD

Sancez

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2014-08-25 23:47:06 »
Hi guys! First of all, thanks for all your hard work! Mods are a great incentive to play again old great games like FF8!  ;D

So.. Are you guys still trying to add in game Magochocobo's beautiful textures? From what I read in this topic, his textures are for battle models, but Magochocobo said he made also field textures (but never release it...). It would be really awesome to see his textures in game, it's just the last modification we might need at this point. :|

Sancez

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2014-08-28 01:14:56 »
It's much harder then I thought playing FF8 with the normal character textures when you know there are much better ones... Damn it, why Square-enix didn't consider the modding community when they did the steam release?! >:(

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2014-08-31 16:11:23 »
Hi Omzy,
I'm currently working on a excel sheet that generates the hash map for a given image. I've implemented the second algorithm that you posted here:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15222.25
It gives me the correct number of digits ( 20 ) but the hashcode doesn't match the one in your hashmap list ( too many differences)
Could you tell me more about your hash code generator?
Which pixels do you extract from the image ? How many are they ? How do you compare them ?

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2014-09-01 04:59:09 »
Hi Omzy,
I'm currently working on a excel sheet that generates the hash map for a given image. I've implemented the second algorithm that you posted here:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15222.25
It gives me the correct number of digits ( 20 ) but the hashcode doesn't match the one in your hashmap list ( too many differences)
Could you tell me more about your hash code generator?
Which pixels do you extract from the image ? How many are they ? How do you compare them ?
PM sent