Author Topic: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums  (Read 271886 times)

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Re: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums
« Reply #125 on: 2013-03-28 03:06:00 »
IKEA...

An Ikea bookcase would not have the durability to hold that many books, it must be akin to a higher quality brand

I am very excited to play this field in the game, it is coming together very nicely. Hopefully the textures of the character models will blend well with the colors of the backgrounds

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #126 on: 2013-03-29 00:22:50 »
An Ikea bookcase would not have the durability to hold that many books, it must be akin to a higher quality brand

Oh Gosh! How could anyone deny that... haha! I have spotted one that looks alike in the stock section though lol!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2013-04-02 18:20:51 »
Updating...

Actually, this is only a 50% size of a render I made... but when I tried to upload the full res render at imageshack, it said "file too big for upload"  :?
Anyway, I have 3 tasks to carry out for the scene to be completed:
- Make all the flowers (and that's going to take time, I think there are about 5-6 different flower species in the scene)
- Make the painting (near the bottom of the stairs)
- Make final adjustments/retouches on textures/lighting 

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #128 on: 2013-04-03 00:15:50 »
I like the table sheet texture ;)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2013-04-03 02:53:26 »
There's more! Here's a whole update on the ealin_1 scene:

So... actually I did render the image at full resolution, but again I had troubles to upload it. So what you have here is a 50% size of the full-res that I rendered. As you can see I mostly need to make the flowers. There's also something weird going on with the glass of the kitchen cabinet, where it looks completely black... I wonder what kind of reflection led to that (and I hope to correct it at some point). There may be a few things to retouch.
By the way, I'm also coming across a certain issue which will be recurrent in many scenes, and that's something that was pointed out by Timu and Ulpian in the Sector 6 thread (about the fence bordering the playground): a bunch of objects in the original scenes (and in this one in particular) have very awkward scales. For instance, the teacups in ealin_1 would be the size of bowls in the original image, while the flowers have ridiculous proportions (they would be some 50 cm across). They were made so in the original scenes because the very low resolution was a cause for enlarging these objects in proportions that would make them recognizable by the viewer. I believe we would need to make a few corrections in that department. Still, I would like the opinion of the mods in that respect, namely to figure if we should do that kind of changes systematically. Modellers would have more work because we would need to figure what should be the proper scale of the objects involved in the scene (as opposed to following the original image blindly).

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2013-04-03 22:53:33 »
So... actually I did render the image at full resolution, but again I had troubles to upload it. So what you have here is a 50% size of the full-res that I rendered. As you can see I mostly need to make the flowers. There's also something weird going on with the glass of the kitchen cabinet, where it looks completely black... I wonder what kind of reflection led to that (and I hope to correct it at some point). There may be a few things to retouch.
By the way, I'm also coming across a certain issue which will be recurrent in many scenes, and that's something that was pointed out by Timu and Ulpian in the Sector 6 thread (about the fence bordering the playground): a bunch of objects in the original scenes (and in this one in particular) have very awkward scales. For instance, the teacups in ealin_1 would be the size of bowls in the original image, while the flowers have ridiculous proportions (they would be some 50 cm across). They were made so in the original scenes because the very low resolution was a cause for enlarging these objects in proportions that would make them recognizable by the viewer. I believe we would need to make a few corrections in that department. Still, I would like the opinion of the mods in that respect, namely to figure if we should do that kind of changes systematically. Modellers would have more work because we would need to figure what should be the proper scale of the objects involved in the scene (as opposed to following the original image blindly).
You have made an important point, a lot of the things they did were to make sure the details weren't invisable at the 320x224 game resolution on the playstation. As far as I know correcting for scale as needed is a good idea. However I cannot speak for your team.  There are a lot of objects that were too small to render without having higher resolution (obvious statement).

That being said, most of these are interior field locations. Although the ones that are at that beach town aren't all "indoors".

Cyb

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2013-04-03 22:58:15 »
As far as I know correcting for scale as needed is a good idea. However I cannot speak for your team. 
Let's hear what the mods have to say, then  :)

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #132 on: 2013-04-03 23:00:07 »
This is a lovely scene! Actually I'm live streaming Aeris theme right now in a lovely remix haha! What a coincidence!

Jeremy Robson - Valse Aeris (Flowers Blooming in the Church ~ Aerith's Theme

« Last Edit: 2013-04-03 23:03:45 by LeonhartGR »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2013-04-08 22:32:35 »
Hi guys,

Just showing what I've been up to this weekend...

... making the flowers is so time-consuming! I still have 3 and a half flower bunches to do...
« Last Edit: 2013-04-08 22:35:01 by Mayo Master »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2013-04-08 22:49:57 »
Remaking the scale is fine since they will be identifiable at target resolution. I dont think anyone would have issues with this. It is mainly just for cosmetic things anyways as the structural stuff would have the follow the original scale.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #135 on: 2013-04-09 02:22:43 »
Thanks for the little details! They are useful in livening up the scene a bit and... nice wall texture :)

Wood is  oak right?

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2013-04-09 10:59:30 »
Thanks for the little details! They are useful in livening up the scene a bit and... nice wall texture :)

Wood is  oak right?
Hmmm it could be clear pine or poplar ... no looks to me to be clear pine oak I believe has a slightly different pattern, this is more poplar maple or clear pine. The number of wood patterns is nigh unto impossible to enumerate.

Hi guys,

Just showing what I've been up to this weekend...

... making the flowers is so time-consuming! I still have 3 and a half flower bunches to do...
I remember doing a christmas tree once, I made a single needle ... and then I had to use a dither pattern and spirally wind the needles around each branch, The same deal with the branches branching and thickness adjustment. It ended up being a study in fractals (mutters) and 'the soccer' formulea of form generation. Their are some nifty plant and flower generators in the web that made my little program ... look bad (LOL).

Anyhow I digress (and I wonder where the image of that tree is...). Plants are difficult if you don't use a parametric generation system with some sort of control system.

Cyb

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2013-04-09 15:48:28 »
Remaking the scale is fine since they will be identifiable at target resolution. I dont think anyone would have issues with this. It is mainly just for cosmetic things anyways as the structural stuff would have the follow the original scale.
Thanks of the heads-up. I'll make some revisions and revisit the other scenes as well (I recall that in the mds5_i item shop scene, there was a tea cup the size of a salad bowl  ??? )

Wood is  oak right?
Thanks. The wall is essentially made with procedurals, with a very slight dirt / AO shader. As for the wood, I actually don't know what kind it is  :P . I used that texture (http://cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=14121&PHPSESSID=h350vo1t3a3eai9e1mtntrlsq2) as a basis, which I combined with another base color mixed with a cloudy color pattern.

Hmmm it could be clear pine or poplar ... no looks to me to be clear pine oak I believe has a slightly different pattern, this is more poplar maple or clear pine. The number of wood patterns is nigh unto impossible to enumerate.
I remember doing a christmas tree once, I made a single needle ... and then I had to use a dither pattern and spirally wind the needles around each branch, The same deal with the branches branching and thickness adjustment. It ended up being a study in fractals (mutters) and 'the soccer' formulea of form generation. Their are some nifty plant and flower generators in the web that made my little program ... look bad (LOL).
Anyhow I digress (and I wonder where the image of that tree is...). Plants are difficult if you don't use a parametric generation system with some sort of control system.

I think I now have a good method for making the plants, though it's not parametric. Using reference pictures to cut out leaves and petals and make UVs is the first main step, then the very nifty tool in the process is lattice deformation. However, what start to take an awful lot of time is due to the limitations of my laptop: the scene has so many elements that now there's always a bit of lag between what I do and when Blender responds (like 0.3 seconds lag). It gets pretty irritating. Hopefully I should be able to salvage a "barely used" 4 years old PC very soon, which should be still much faster than what I have right now.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2013-04-11 06:48:17 »
Updating... only one more bunch of flowers to go!

Talking about the scaling issue, it's actually fortunate that hibiscus makes such big flowers (more than 20 cm in diameter). They're very fitting as the table centrepiece, given the huge flowers in the original scene.
Otherwise, I wonder if I should upload a "make a flower" tutorial at this rate. The scene features flowers similar to lilies, marigolds, pansies, gladiolus, hibiscus, and I'll finish with some potted penstemon.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2013-04-12 20:54:27 »
Updating... only one more bunch of flowers to go!

Talking about the scaling issue, it's actually fortunate that hibiscus makes such big flowers (more than 20 cm in diameter). They're very fitting as the table centrepiece, given the huge flowers in the original scene.
Otherwise, I wonder if I should upload a "make a flower" tutorial at this rate. The scene features flowers similar to lilies, marigolds, pansies, gladiolus, hibiscus, and I'll finish with some potted penstemon.
Consider the number of scenese with flowers, the church, the ancient forest, that's just off the top of my head. I can't remember about the chocobo farm but ... somehow.

I would say "please do so" but don't kill yourself doing it :D

Give it a try, sometimes by trying to do a tutorial you can vastly improve what you do yourself. (my case anyhow)

Cyb

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2013-04-13 00:33:56 »

Ealin_1 and Ealin_12 are practically done, everything is modelled. I may have to retouch a few textures, rescale a few items and change a bit the lighting, but I'll do that later, when I have a more powerful computer. Finishing this scene was a real pain because my poor old laptop was short on memory. I could hardly do anything on my blender file in the end. In fact, I had to use another PC to make the renders. In the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy these (they're full res):

ealin1

ealin12

Feel free to make comments and suggestions, so that I could improve this scene later on. Mostly, I think I'll need to adjust the light setting: I had to use a lot of ambient lighting because of how the external walls are lit (and ambient light is the only light source for these), but it makes most of the scene with too diffuse lighting, and it lacks of contrast in my opinion. I'll also have to revise a few textures (I made the painting texture in 5 mins, I'll have to come up with an improved version, for one thing).
Also, let me know if it's already worth uploading to the file repository. This version may not be final, but I think it's good enough to start with.

Last, I'm really considering making a flower tutorial thread, though I'd like the mods' opinion if these forums are a good place to present 3d modelling tutorials before I'd do something like this.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2013-04-13 17:26:04 »
Looks amazing.
Are any of these in game yet? Or is there some sort of conversation that's needed?

Lastly! I will soon have time to help you finish the waterfall

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #142 on: 2013-04-15 00:07:10 »
And that's a more than satisfyingly completed scene! Love the contrast!!! And texturing!

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2013-04-15 01:47:40 »
Can't wait to have it playable :P

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2013-04-15 20:18:52 »
Hey guys,

If you think these scenes are good enough to be released, I would appreciate if I could get some guidance in order to render the separate layers. SpooX mentioned earlier they can be retrieved with Palmer on the PC version, but I only have PS1 disks. Thanks!

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2013-04-15 22:25:55 »
Hey guys,

If you think these scenes are good enough to be released, I would appreciate if I could get some guidance in order to render the separate layers. SpooX mentioned earlier they can be retrieved with Palmer on the PC version, but I only have PS1 disks. Thanks!
7mimic I think ( look here ) (thanks lazy bastard for the link) will give you the layer information for the playstation. It could also mess with the animation sequences. Also note that layers where animations where supposed to be or covered by something sometimes had green sections behind them. That's where 7mimic can be VERY useful.

I know a tool exists to create / modify new field location image data (it's been a long time). I would suggest you start with a 'small' render so it takes less time and you can see what problems you have with the encoding. Pallet data might be somewhat of an issue.  I do remember their being a tool for it but for the live of me I cannot remember.

Stephen
« Last Edit: 2013-04-15 23:20:08 by Cyberman »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2013-04-16 15:44:12 »
7mimic is a fine tool to use, I use it to extract the backgrounds, however to get the different layers, you do need Palmer, you also need it to construct the layers again to be able to put it in game (mod dir).

Since the psx version is bound to hardware, it makes no sense in trying to get updated images inside, exept if we have some briljant genius who can port the whole game to the ps3....
 8)

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2013-04-17 00:38:04 »
7mimic is a fine tool to use, I use it to extract the backgrounds, however to get the different layers, you do need Palmer, you also need it to construct the layers again to be able to put it in game (mod dir).

Since the psx version is bound to hardware, it makes no sense in trying to get updated images inside, exept if we have some briljant genius who can port the whole game to the ps3....
 8)
Really it would make more sense to use Q-gears XML controlled media data.  At least the format data can be tested. Hmmm I'll see oif Akari has some input on using it to test background data quickly.
Not sure how well the backgrounds work off hand in Q-gears.
The advantage of Q-gears is its "portable" to most anything. Flexible, and it mostly works (mostly). :D I almost compiled Q-gears but right now I have my system limping badly so one thing at a time.

I thought their was another tool than Palmer. as I said it's been a long long time.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2013-04-17 19:15:11 »
Portable to everything?
Oh..no FFVII PC rewritten in Java.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2013-04-17 22:20:25 »
Portable to everything?
Oh..no FFVII PC rewritten in Java.
If it has a LUA interpretor in it and you decide to rewrite all that C/C++ code sure. :D

Cyb