Author Topic: FF7.exe data  (Read 4714 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
FF7.exe data
« on: 2012-11-28 13:59:24 »
So I am beginning to write a program to edit FF7.exe's data. I need input to know what is what. I can already know some data (text, for instance) but I don't know of any pointer, or any modifier for items in field, for example. This thread would serve as a place to put all data known about the exe. I know there are limits and shop as well, and Bosola could possibly put some of these here. Of course, the wiki is also helpful. I'll try to update it whenver I get an interesting information.

Its eventual source (because I barely began to code it) will not be open to everyone. I will only share it with knowledgable people who I know can help me (namely NFITC1 and Bosola). It will be written in VB.NET (so 3.5 .NET framework will be needed). But before I can do anything, I need data, right? ;D

This will also be my first real program in VB, so I will need input. And possibly help.

I'll post any data I find both here and on the wiki.

Micky

• View Profile
Re: FF7.exe data
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-28 21:18:53 »
I can't contribute to this but I'm a bit surprised that people still start new projects in VB...

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-28 21:24:43 »
To my defense, this is the only GUI-able language I know of. Almost every language I know is console.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-11-28 21:32:57 »
IDA Pro 6.1(leaked last year) can help you to get a C representation of the executable but its a lot of work with FF7 structures and fixing the bugs in the decompiler output + no MIPS support.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-11-28 21:33:36 »
If the job gets done, there really is no difference.  I program in Borland Delphi and create 2D games in it as well.  I coded RaW with it.  Everyone raves about C++ but the end result is the same and at a fraction of the effort.  I like Pascal, I do not like C++ syntax. 

Code in whatever you want as long as the end result is largely the same and it works how you want it to.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-11-28 22:44:20 »
I sometimes get the feeling that even Microsoft is trying to nudge people away from VB and towards C#, especially as the structure of modern VB isn't too far away from the C family of languages (or Delphi/Pascal).

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-11-29 13:03:23 »
IDA Pro 6.1(leaked last year) can help you to get a C representation of the executable but its a lot of work with FF7 structures and fixing the bugs in the decompiler output + no MIPS support.

I'm using OllyDBG instead. It's probably as good and it's legally free.