Author Topic: Advent Children?  (Read 7597 times)

spyrojyros_Tail

Advent Children?
« on: 2007-12-01 19:32:00 »
Hey all,

I have been wondering why Advent Children is called Advent Children, does anyone have any ideas on this?

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Advent Children?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-12-03 00:06:52 »
Since Final Fantasy VII has such strong ties to religion I always understood the "Advent" as meaning the second coming of Sephiroth.  In Christianity the word advent is used to refer to the second coming of Jesus Christ.  Therefore, I think it's a fairly logical assumption that "Advent" is being used in that sense.

As for "Children", I can't decide what to make of it.  You can view it in a religious sense that Sephiroth (and his second coming) was borderline godlike which would make all victims of geostigma his "children".  However, it's also very possible that "Children" is just that.  Children.  The movie follows Denzel around quite a bit, and at one point dozens of children are gathered up in an attempt to locate Jenova.  I think the strong undertones of the FFVII universe point to "Children" meaning the former.

If anyone knows of any official statements about this from Squeenix, please share.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-12-03 18:04:53 »
Can't it just be because it sounds cool?  :mrgreen: <--- My hair is actually like that right now :( I need a haircut. :/

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-12-31 17:52:41 »
With Children, the film means the following:
When Sephiroth died, his spiritual energy normaly would have joined the Life stream, the particles would be shuffled and a completely new being would be reborn from that energy. However Sephiroths will was too strong for the Life stream so he could keep his consciousness together in the Life stream. In order to keep that state he had to however split his consciousness up into three parts. These parts are found in the silver-haired "children" Kadaj, Yazoo and Loz, Sephiroths "children".
They all have parts of Sephiroths consciousness in them which allowed them to grow up faster than ordinary men(Only two years have passed since FFVII but they are like 18 years old or so).

spyrojyros_Tail

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-01 18:18:31 »
Wow, great answer!!!

I always liked the idea of the lifestream, I remember that I didnt pay much attention to it when I was a kid playing FFVII but more recently it has started to become more and more relevant to life. After been brought up a catholic and believing in heaven, it make more sense to me now to believe in the life stream rather than a place called heaven or hell.

The idea of the lifestream also fits in with bill hicks (my favorite comedian) idea of life:

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-01 23:41:06 »
Did you denounce Catholicism?  just wondering

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-02 06:32:16 »
Well if you believe in the Life stream I got another thread on this called Real Life Believes. I would like to hear if exactly copy the believe of Final Fantasy or if there are some differences.

spyrojyros_Tail

« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-02 20:44:10 »
Hey obesebear,

I guess I am. The idea of having a place called hell where all the bad people go when they die just doesnt make sense, I also dont like believing in a god that *someday* will return... I have recently been looking toward mediation and the chakra energy centers of the body, I have been doing that for a while and it is alot more rewarding than having my old catholic beliefs.

As for believing in the lifestream, there are some differences. Ill post it on the other thread

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7262.0