Author Topic: [FF8-R] Squall Hair Remodel Progress  (Read 13102 times)

hikashi

• View Profile
[FF8-R] Squall Hair Remodel Progress
« on: 2020-05-29 10:53:55 »

I've made some progress in remodeling that god awful sasuke hair of Squall in the remaster to something that is more resembling to the OG Squall.
In making this progress, i extracted the battle model file using Noesis app. The model file type is in .fbx format. Blender is used to import the model and made some changes to the vertices. Vertices count remain the same.

Now, the stumbling block is to export the edit model back to the .dat file and then battle.fs file. Any pointers?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [FF8-R] Squall Hair Remodel Progress
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-30 02:48:21 »
Thank you and keep it up! Just some pics as a reference:

I wish you succeed fixing those hair! Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: 2020-05-31 09:19:21 by LeonhartGR »

squall_strife_90

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-07 16:56:21 »
could you tell me how you extracted the model ? i used zzdearchive and i have noesis tool but i can't figure out how to extract the model.
I made new squall's hair based on the dissidia psp game
I want to test them on the game model in blender to see how squall looks

squall_strife_90

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-07-07 17:10:37 »
i made a mistake when typing
they are based on the artwork above

squall_strife_90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-07-08 16:37:33 »
I'm not that good with blender but i managed to do this
I'm searching a way to put the new model back to the .dat file but i don't think it's possible atm

squall_strife_90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-07-10 20:17:00 »
I made some progess. I used the Devina's squall FMV V2 textures from ERAISERZEE post. Hope you like it

miruss89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-07-11 14:49:18 »

I've made some progress in remodeling that god awful sasuke hair of Squall in the remaster to something that is more resembling to the OG Squall.
In making this progress, i extracted the battle model file using Noesis app. The model file type is in .fbx format. Blender is used to import the model and made some changes to the vertices. Vertices count remain the same.

Now, the stumbling block is to export the edit model back to the .dat file and then battle.fs file. Any pointers?

nice.. can't wait for the completed work!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #7 on: 2020-07-11 16:55:32 »

Props for the effort! Thank you for keeping up with such a project! Compared to the screenshots, there's something weird about the facial geometry though that brings an uncanny feeling out of it. I'd love Devina to add in some suggestions if possible since I'm not able to actually describe it.

Edit: something about the chin geometry maybe.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-13 18:52:19 by LeonhartGR »

jedaojeda

• https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1034988631772
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-12-08 22:35:02 »
Looks amazing! great job! I was wondering is there is any way to do the same with the polygone model of the steam version?

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #9 on: 2021-01-09 19:53:28 »
Something I found as a reference.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d8OxO3

Dorklord

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2021-01-26 11:27:56 »
Not sure if this helps at all, but Squall's SeeD model in Dissidia 012 for PSP seems to be about the same quality as the Remastered models and his hair there looks fairly accurate. Not sure if the head here could be ported on top of the remastered Squall's body, but it could still be good reference to modify the existing head if not. Of course someone still has to figure out how to get the model back into the game.

The second picture is from a mod, but the hair is the same and it was the the highest resolution screenshot I could find. Full pic here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/faM3vIVUgTk/maxresdefault.jpg
« Last Edit: 2021-01-26 11:30:00 by Dorklord »

riccochet

• Maybe I'm a lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2021-08-07 22:13:03 »
Hey there, can anyone point me in the direction of the tools needed to get the models? thanks

squall_strife_90

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2021-08-25 10:06:28 »
You need Noesis to extract the models of the characters and a tool like blender edit them. The main problem is that once extracted the models from the .dat file there is no way to reimport them

ArhumMK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2021-11-08 10:31:48 »
Is this project dead? If not, yeah the model from Dissida 012 completely ported should be comparatively easier than trying to remodel the hair. Best of luck to you, I hope model swapping doesn't turn out to be too difficult!

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #14 on: 2021-11-18 20:21:13 »
There's no way importing models in the game yet.

Squallex

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2024-01-09 08:30:45 »
Hi everyone! I just created an account so I could post here.

Final Fantasy VIII has been my favorite game for a long time, but I've never had less pleasure playing it than when I played this horrible remastered version.

Amongst other things, I think the main reason  for it is the design of Squall and Rinoa's models.
As pointed out by LeonhartGR, Squall looked a lot better in the original version's cutscene than in the remastered one. The hair is indeed very different, but also the nose, the jaw, the eyes, the skin color (too yellow-ish) and even the clothes look wrong in the remastered version: The fur of the jacket, the pants too tight at the ankles, and even the chronos pendant looks wrong!

Rinoa looks kinds of wrong too. The face is too round, and she doesn't look like the cutscene's model at all...

One may say that it doesn't matter so much, but to me, it felt like I was watching cosplayers during the whole game.

So my question is : Is there any news about the possibility of importing a new model design into the game ? (Remastered or basic Steam version). I would really love to be able to play the game with characters model that look just like the ones from the cutscenes!