Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4839550 times)

MidgarCanon

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.999)
« Reply #11400 on: 2022-08-22 14:32:26 »
Hello, sorry if the question has already been answered, but is it possible to play this mod in german language?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11401 on: 2022-08-22 14:42:57 »
Looks like it works now; thank you!

I saw earlier in this thread you were talking about revamping hard mode. I've personally found the lack of free gil a welcome challenge when paired with a level cap (so that grinding for saleable items doesn't make the party over powered). For example:
Spoiler: show
In an earlier attempt at hard mode I spent some time stealing ethers in the train graveyard after picking up Tifa to be able to afford a second steal and restore materia for the Airbuster fight. However, just that little bit of early grinding set me up to be high-enough level for all of Midgar to be trivial.

In my latest run-through, I only let the party get to level 8 before getting on the train, despite doing a similar amount of grinding for items, and didn't allow them to hit level 9 until after they beat Airbuster. That method of only allowing one level per story milestone made all of Midgar much more interesting.

Perhaps making something like that an official part of hard mode might be enough to get the challenge level to where you want it?

The original builds of the mod (1.0 up until maybe 1.2-1.3?) had a level cap built into it where enemies would check the level of participants and then 0 their EXP if it exceeded whatever value was set. Could resurrect that for this stand-alone hard mod, if it gets made.

Hello, sorry if the question has already been answered, but is it possible to play this mod in german language?

I'm afraid there's no german translation of the mod currently that I'm aware of; the 1.5 build of the mod was translated into spanish by a user called Markul (he maintains that build as his own), and I think satsuki or mexico on ff7.fr translated it into French (unsure about that, I may be mis-remembering).
« Last Edit: 2022-08-22 14:44:48 by Sega Chief »

MidgarCanon

• View Profile
« Reply #11402 on: 2022-08-22 15:06:32 »
Too bad. Yet you do a good job. your mod is recommended to me even in German Discord

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #11403 on: 2022-08-24 05:30:29 »
The original builds of the mod (1.0 up until maybe 1.2-1.3?) had a level cap built into it where enemies would check the level of participants and then 0 their EXP if it exceeded whatever value was set. Could resurrect that for this stand-alone hard mod, if it gets made.
That better be 0 AP, too ;)

I think that'd probably be a workable solution, but it's tough to say. I'm not usually a fan of gating like that in hardmode content - I want to have to use the tools at my disposal, not have them taken away. But level does have a significant impact in this game, so that you'd probably be hard-pressed to eliminate effectively otherwise. It may be a necessary evil to gate levels by progression thresholds.

You can easily see why that's important if you play e.g. gjoerulv's hardcore mod, which has several moments where spending some grinding just a few extra levels SIGNIFICANTLY affects the difficulty of upcoming fights (e.g. the first Jenova). Not so much at endgame, but during the story, absolutely. And once you overlevel things by a good margin, the fights really don't feel fun anymore.

I don't suppose the reverse is possible? Scaling enemies UP based on your level? That'd be interesting to explore, and could even spawn an entire different mode (start at lvl 99, have everything be super powerful).

NissyHime

• View Profile
« Reply #11404 on: 2022-08-24 07:36:21 »
Im not sure if im just very unlucky, but does cloud's passive not stack with other counter materia? after I started using them I havent seen his passive while defending happen a single time

AhBeng2

• View Profile
« Reply #11405 on: 2022-08-27 17:58:50 »
Hi Sega,

I was just playing through the latest version and I found one oddity.

During Cloud's and Aeris's sidequest at Nibelhiem, right after the battle royale, both Cloud and Aeris engage in a conversation. There are now flowers located between both of them that weren't there previously. Do these flowers serve any purpose? These flowers seem to throw off Aeris's position on the screen when she approaches Cloud and holds his hand.

I tried to post a screenshot of this cut scene but unable to do so.

NissyHime

• View Profile
« Reply #11406 on: 2022-08-29 19:38:15 »
I just read in the forums how to save aerith, if that wasn't done on disc 1 do you permanently lose the ability to get her back?

galax-C

• View Profile
« Reply #11407 on: 2022-08-30 05:33:44 »
Dumb suggestions/ideas that are more goofy than useful, food for thought: If you're still toying with the Dark Cave or invented scenarios, I think it would be very funny if the player returns to Hojo's lab, late game, and you have to fight a version of Aerith and Red XIII that are a bizarre romantic couple. Maybe they traveled from an alternate universe to stop the player from breaking them up.

Or fight a version of Barrett and Cloud that fell in love on the Gondola Ride. If Cloud and Barret are in the player's party, they start the battle with confusion status.

When you first go to Aerith's house, and you have to sneak out of her home at night, instead of going down the stairs you can walk into her room. She has a response already, but I think the humor of barging into her room at night could be heightened. Maybe if Cloud walks in he'll have dialogue, "I'm ready for my date." And Aerith gets pissed and you're sent back to the spare bedroom.

It's also strange to me that Cid, being a mechanic, never once expresses any interest or curiosity in the fact that Barrett has machinery grafted to his arm. You'd think he'd have some questions, maybe he'd want to put a propeller on him instead of a gun...I think that's an enemy you fight when you climb sector 7 tower.

It would be cool to have a scenario where you have to actually commandeer the Highwind with Barrett and whoever else when Tifa is in the Gas Chamber. Fight some battles along the deck and interior of the ship before making it to the bridge. Then a Boss, the Turks, guard scorpion, whatever...

It would also be cool if Marlene gets possessed and becomes a demonic child you have to beat up. Maybe, like many children, she pets Red XIII too hard, and blah blah blah, and then you fight her. Then the Guard Scorpion attacks you from nowhere...

Alternate reality where the female characters have to dress up as men to get into Dawn Cornelia's manor in Wal Market. Then you fight her pet Guard Scorpion or something...

A pandemic breaks out in the slums and Shinra puts everyone in quarantine. Battle your way to where the virus originated from: Hojo's Lab...

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #11408 on: 2022-08-31 06:52:30 »
I just read in the forums how to save aerith, if that wasn't done on disc 1 do you permanently lose the ability to get her back?

No.
 theres a npc on the highwind which can revive her

NissyHime

• View Profile
« Reply #11409 on: 2022-09-04 19:53:11 »
Sorry for playing 20 questions but is there also documentation somewhere that has all the details of accessories and what they do such as the cursed ring etc in detail?

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #11410 on: 2022-09-07 23:24:06 »
Sorry for playing 20 questions but is there also documentation somewhere that has all the details of accessories and what they do such as the cursed ring etc in detail?
I don't think so.

Most accessories are self-explanatory, or work pretty much the same way they do in the unmodded game. Curse Ring only works slightly differently, i.e. it blocks certain positive effects now in addition to the massive stat boost and Death Sentence it does in the original. You can check a character's stat screen to see that, where you'll see that it'll e.g. make you immune to certain buffs etc.

The only accessory I can remember off hand that is new to this is the Relic Ring, which gives massive stats but makes you
take damage from healing

Wut

• View Profile
« Reply #11411 on: 2022-09-15 04:24:27 »
Hey ya,

Can you only use the dialogue revamp from this mod or it's all or nothing?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11412 on: 2022-09-21 10:14:54 »
Hey ya,

Can you only use the dialogue revamp from this mod or it's all or nothing?

I've got a combat-only version in the works, it just needs testing.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.9991)
« Reply #11413 on: 2022-09-28 18:51:04 »
Mod updated to 2.09991

-) 2x-Cut altered to avoid a softlock issue when used by weapons with innate All targeting
-) Reverted change to 3D-Battler (matches decided after 10 hits instead of 5) due to softlock
-) Fixed coords of Gongaga 1/35 soldier (credit to Vdain for spotting it)
-) Disabled use of flowers key item due to collision problems
-) IRO Only; char.lgp had vanilla files removed which affected mod compatibility

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11414 on: 2022-09-29 03:27:28 »
First off incredible work! Absolutely radiating new life into the game. I've been smiling like an idiot discovering all the new things.

This newest update seems to have broken some compatibility with the excellent music mod ReMusic 1.5. Even with the compatibility option for A New Threat on - It seems like the newest update is preventing the victory fanfare theme from playing after battle. Any chance you and that mod author can get them working properly together again with the latest NT version?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11415 on: 2022-09-29 10:31:45 »
First off incredible work! Absolutely radiating new life into the game. I've been smiling like an idiot discovering all the new things.

This newest update seems to have broken some compatibility with the excellent music mod ReMusic 1.5. Even with the compatibility option for A New Threat on - It seems like the newest update is preventing the victory fanfare theme from playing after battle. Any chance you and that mod author can get them working properly together again with the latest NT version?

Will ask them about it; but just to check first, have you got the field music for battles option toggled on at a save point? That would prevent the victory fanfare from playing as it uses a battle mode that just keeps the field music playing instead of the usual battle theme + fanfare. Certain areas may also have the fanfare off (like the corel train sequence for instance).

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11416 on: 2022-09-29 21:50:31 »
Even with the compatibility option for A New Threat on - It seems like the newest update is preventing the victory fanfare theme from playing after battle.

What you're describing sounds like the default behavior for much of the mod, where it transitions from field music > battle music > field music.

Could you provide more details, such as where you are in the game and what is happening exactly when the battle ends? Thanks! 🙏

Hexsim

• View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: 2022-09-29 23:50:11 »
I actually typed this in the discord earlier but then drown it out with my own raving and discussions lol, figured I'd just ask here instead... Firstly, I LOVE this mod. I'm sure you get that a lot, but I just want to congratulate you and give props for all the effort!

Secondly, what are the chances of an even harder mode in the future?  ;)

I know that this mod was intended to be a 'medium/harder' mode, and maybe you and others want to leave it at that, which is perfectly fine.  But I am still wondering if you do have any plans of possibly making another version that does the exact same thing as Type A and Type B but with yet more difficult combat and curve?

One that really tests players limits and sanity (or close to it) for those of us masochists who enjoy that sort of thing lol.  Would certainly be awesome!

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: 2022-09-30 00:44:16 »
So I am experiencing it everywhere, but I have been testing in the Sector 5 Slums during the random encounters with the bandits. My save point toggle for changing between field and normal options are there but they don't appear to be actively changing anything. The battle ends and victory fanfare does not play, it just transitions back to the field music seemlessly. 

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: 2022-09-30 02:56:31 »
Okay reporting back - I seem to have fixed it. 7th Heaven recommends that ReMusic 1.5 be placed above A New Threat 2.0 in the load order. However, this seems to be what is preventing the victory fanfare from playing at the end of battles. When I move A New Threat above ReMusic, the battle victory music is playing out correctly.

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: 2022-09-30 03:20:02 »
Hmm - so a little more experimenting, changing the load order, I can get the victory fanfare to play at the  end of battle, but some of the new tracks will not work.

Specific example: in Sector 6 with the Load order having A New Threat above ReMusic, I am getting victory fanfare to playout after battles- but the new field music track from the Remake for Sector 6 does not play, instead the field music remains the same as the remixed version from the adjacent screen (I believe the Sector 5 theme).

With Load order set up the way 7th Heaven recommends, having ReMusic above a New Threat - the new track for sector 6 will play correctly in the field, but then victory fanfare will not play after battle.

The battle music itself, in each instance, works fine.

Any ideas? Not sure what to make of it myself.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: 2022-09-30 14:01:51 »
So I am experiencing it everywhere, but I have been testing in the Sector 5 Slums during the random encounters with the bandits. My save point toggle for changing between field and normal options are there but they don't appear to be actively changing anything. The battle ends and victory fanfare does not play, it just transitions back to the field music seemlessly. 

Ah about that; the change won't take proper effect until you leave that field screen; if you toggle it and then get into battles while still on the same screen it won't have updated the music behaviour yet because it's been set to do it on field load instead of when the toggle is made (an oversight on my part at the time when I originally set this up).

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11422 on: 2022-09-30 17:32:59 »
Hmm - so a little more experimenting, changing the load order, I can get the victory fanfare to play at the  end of battle, but some of the new tracks will not work.

Specific example: in Sector 6 with the Load order having A New Threat above ReMusic, I am getting victory fanfare to playout after battles- but the new field music track from the Remake for Sector 6 does not play, instead the field music remains the same as the remixed version from the adjacent screen (I believe the Sector 5 theme).

With Load order set up the way 7th Heaven recommends, having ReMusic above a New Threat - the new track for sector 6 will play correctly in the field, but then victory fanfare will not play after battle.

The battle music itself, in each instance, works fine.

Any ideas? Not sure what to make of it myself.

I believe you're misunderstanding entirely how ReMusic works and what it does, but I'm happy to explain! :)

In ReMusic, for fields that have both field music & battle music in the Remake, those fields will follow that same music flow from the game, where it switches to the battle track during battles, then returns to the field music after the battle is over. By design, this means that those battles WILL NOT have the fanfare play, as this would interrupt the music flow, since the fanfare plays on the "same track" internally and messes with the sync logic. To summarize:

OG FF7: Field music is interrupted by battle > Battle music plays from the beginning > Battle ends and fanfare plays during exp screen > Return to field music from time it was interrupted

ReMusic: Field music interrupted by battle  > Battle music syncs in at same point field music was interrupted > Battle ends and battle music continues during exp screen > Field music syncs in at same point battle music was just interrupted from

The save point option to toggle battle music is inherently incompatible with ReMusic, so you wont notice any change when turning it on, except on fields where the battle music doesnt sync, usually a lot later in the game where there arent any tracks to mirror from Remake

My bad for getting off-topic in your thread Sega, but my guess is I may need to reference back to this post in the future
« Last Edit: 2022-09-30 17:35:52 by Fewtch »

Euron-Crows-Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: 2022-09-30 22:52:17 »
Yup! It is definitely a misunderstanding on my part about the function of the mod. As Sega Chief and Fewtch explained: ReMusic is working correctly. I simply did not understand it was not meant to play victory fanfare because of how it handles looping - I thought it was simply a music replacement mod like some of the others I have used, very cool how much more its actually doing. Also like Sega Chief suggested I can now see how the save point toggle works correctly- as long as I travel to a zone with a new music track after toggling.

If it is of interest to anyone I did discover though not the mods intention - ReMusic can also be used as a more traditional music replacement mod. You get the new tracks to play in most zones and keep victory fanfare after battles - you just need to load A New Threat above ReMusic for this effect - You do lose out on some of the new excellent music tracks in specific zones this way - but it works perfectly fine for anyone who wants to be able to have most of the great new music and still have the old school victory theme playout after fights.

Personally, now that I understand how it works I am going to load the mod with the proper order and enjoy all the new features ReMusic has. Thanks to Sega Chief and Fewtch for the detailed explanations. Excellent to see so much love for FFVII mods AND technical support in 2022. Much appreciated, you guys are great!

Fewtch

• View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11424 on: 2022-10-01 00:08:20 »
That bit about having ReMusic work the classic way by changing mod load order is a really neat trick. I'll have to advise that as an option, thanks for that.