Author Topic: Qhimm+ Translation Project  (Read 18956 times)

chocofeather

Re: Qhimm+ Translation Project
« Reply #25 on: 2009-09-15 23:00:23 »
http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/faqs/ff1versions.txt

Further confirmation I have found.  It is Care.

chocofeather

« Reply #26 on: 2009-09-16 01:24:18 »
I thought I should post this just for some clarity on the matter http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8395.msg103699#msg103699  Be sure to read the response.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding this foreign term "more than welcome to"  is it Italian?  Maybe German?  French?  Originally I thought it was English for "I give my permission for anyone to do as they please", but clearly I was wrong.
-------------

Yes, your tone has gone back to being what I expected.  Firstly, you are trying to detract from what you did in the first place (which is log the whole thing on a hidden forum).  So that can't be allowed to lie.  Secondly, at the time that was written I was a member here full term and because of that, I had no problem with people sharing some information (certainly although not stated, it is kind of obvious I did not mean what you ended up doing).  When I took this project elsewhere and it was worked on by other translators, that changed.

Not just that, the main sticking point is, it is expected ALWAYS that due credit be given.  This hasn't been, because far from having any respect for the project, you made a very nasty post about it and basically said you will do your own release using most of it.   To use some information and give credit is 1 thing, to use the whole thing after ridiculing it is rather ridiculous.  Also, although I may not have stated it, I alwats meant the FINAL RELEASED FILES could be altered.  Not "take the document elewhere and make your own release"

Having no problem with you altering files is still my philosophy at this time.  Taking the whole document and planning your own release on a private forum....is not.

It wouldn't be so bad, but you have no idea what you are on about, and feel confident that you alone are more qualified to judge the Japanese, than 4 experienced speakers of the language (Care is well documented as the correct spelling online).  Calling it an abomination, to me, sums up the rather fanatical religious way you view the game.

So I will state this again 1 last time for you:

I do not approve of taking the whole document elsewhere
I do not approve of making your own release before we have released the main files
If any information is taken, credit should be given to me and the translators

This is extremely simple and not even a bad deal.    But please understand that where Care is concerned and more, you are simply wrong to keep it, if accuracy is what you are going for.  If you want to keep canon at same time, you should not claim yours to be accurate, because it isn't.

It is expected that permission be sought before taking information and deciding to use it.  If I was to take a model you may have made and tweak it, I would not dream of just taking it without even asking.  The lack of respect shown here is not just to me, it is to those working with me also.

« Last Edit: 2009-09-16 01:31:47 by chocofeather »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-09-16 01:34:12 »
http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/faqs/ff1versions.txt

Further confirmation I have found.  It is Care.

If you think that care sounds better than cure to anyone who doesn't speak either broken or
gangster-esque English, more power to you. If this is the direction your translation is taking, I
sure as hell wont be using it. IMHO it might be a direct translation from Japanese but it doesn't
sound good to someone who SPEAKS ENGLISH. Sure from a  Japanese persons standpoint this probably
would seem like a great idea but if this were how the actual translation was done we would end
up with lines that sound as if they were taken directly from a Japanese tourist attempting
to navigate an English dominate territory with nothing to communicate with but Google Translate.

Also, you should notice that EVERY(if not most, I'm not really sure) final fantasy title  after FFVII up to this day that has been released in English has consistently used CURE as healing magic. Square has gotten much better at translating their games since 1997 judging from FFX and FFXII so I think that they are pretty certain that cure (a universally used magic name with FF titles) would be the most suitable
in this scenario. You also have to think to yourself "Will this sound normal and appropriate to an English speaker?"

chocofeather

« Reply #28 on: 2009-09-16 01:39:38 »
If you think that care sounds better than cure
======

I don't, but the difference is very small.

Also, you should notice that EVERY(if not most, I'm not really sure) final fantasy title  after FFVII up to this day that has been released in English has consistently used CURE as healing magic. also have to think to yourself "Will this sound normal and appropriate to an English speaker?"
======

They have also used malboro, Ochu and 100 other mistranslations.  You seem to have missed the point completely.  If we start picking and choosing, it is a slippery slope.  THis is an accurate translation.  Canon is out of the window and always has been.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-16 01:41:14 by chocofeather »

Jari

« Reply #29 on: 2009-09-16 01:56:31 »
Secondly, at the time that was written I was a member here full term and because of that, I had no problem with people sharing some information (certainly although not stated, it is kind of obvious I did not mean what you ended up doing).  When I took this project elsewhere and it was worked on by other translators, that changed.

So, to simplify your argument; you made an ass out of yourself here, got kicked out and are taking it out on other people. Yes, very logical, that.

Owait, you did brag about many things, such as destroying - probably not your exact choice of words, but I so can't be arsed to look up what it was, that's the idea in any case - these forums.

Now it is starting to make sense. :-D

How's the vendetta going, btw? Doesn't seem terribly effective to me...

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-09-16 01:59:09 »
If you think that care sounds better than cure
======

I don't, but the difference is very small.

Also, you should notice that EVERY(if not most, I'm not really sure) final fantasy title  after FFVII up to this day that has been released in English has consistently used CURE as healing magic. also have to think to yourself "Will this sound normal and appropriate to an English speaker?"
======

They have also used malboro, Ochu and 100 other mistranslations.  You seem to have missed the point completely.  If we start picking and choosing, it is a slippery slope.  THis is an accurate translation.  Canon is out of the window and always has been.

Cool story bro

Since your gonna post about the translations here anyway, I thought I may as well provide some
constructive criticism.

chocofeather

« Reply #31 on: 2009-09-16 02:02:07 »
I have come up against the same criticisms and I appreciate good criticism.  I have no problem once we have finished, someone altering it if they use a disclaimer and give credit, linking to the original.  I accept some people will be very angry that we are changing canon, but canon has been the excuse for this rubbish translation for too long. 

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #32 on: 2009-09-16 03:04:58 »
I have come up against the same criticisms and I appreciate good criticism.  I have no problem once we have finished, someone altering it if they use a disclaimer and give credit, linking to the original.  I accept some people will be very angry that we are changing canon, but canon has been the excuse for this rubbish translation for too long. 
Sounds good. Good luck to you man. You shall definitely hear from us when you finish. (hopefully no flaming/trolling of any kind from others).

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-09-16 09:15:05 »
Hmm...

Things seem to be on cooldown mode...

That's a good sign :-)

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-09-16 09:34:27 »
For the sake of all that is good...and just?  :? 8-) :lol:

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-09-16 12:15:14 »
The grill really needed to be shut off before the food was burnt any further :-P

It also happens to be a very old piece of barbequing apparatus.  It's growing green stuff.

chocofeather

« Reply #36 on: 2009-09-16 14:58:45 »
I would also like to reiterate what I ahve been saying all along.  This forum is being made a mockery of by people who have no respect and who love to troll.  There have been 5 or more people who have left here because of it.

The admin, Qhimm, has to take responsibility, because nothing has been done about it.  There isn't even a mod for this section.  If the culprits had been dealt with ages ago, I strongly suspect we would not be at this point.

I wouldn't even be back here posting in this fashion had I not been the target of yet another "up yours" action by a select few babies.

In any case, I have said what I wanted and now I have things to be getting on with.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-09-16 15:54:57 »
My problem here is that some of these "mistranslations" seem to be blown out of proportion.

The only difference between "Malboro" and "Marlboro" is one letter. Not a big difference, and it's still possible to guess that it refers to Marlboro without looking at the original Japanese. It's not like they kept one of the earlier romanizations or Woolsey's "Oscar".

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-09-16 23:00:19 »
Quote from: knifethesky77
IMHO it might be a direct translation from Japanese but it doesn't
sound good to someone who SPEAKS ENGLISH. Sure from a  Japanese persons standpoint this probably
would seem like a great idea

Just to put my two cents in, from someone who speaks both languages, "Care" sounds fucking retarded.  But that is just my opinion.  I'm pretty sure that either name for one stupid spell will not effect the "canon" of the entire game/universe/clusterfuck.

Of course you're allowed to do what you want with it.  It's your patch, go ape shit with it.  There's no need to argue about it or have other on the forum argue back.  I can understand your frustration with someone taking your work, as it has happened to me.  The only work I've released publicly on the forum was mashed up and released without any credit towards me until I called them out on it.  Does it leave me feeling jaded?  Sure.  Will I think twice about releasing other projects?  Sure.  But what can you do?  It's the freaking internet, and people can jack your shit in a blink of an eye.  Did that happen?  I don't know, because nothing has been released yet using your work.  It's not like there is anything you can do about the matter, so why sweat over it?  Even if it's kicked off this forum, it could pop up somewhere else, right?  Just use this as motivation and devote your time into creating the best patch/mod you can.

chocofeather

« Reply #39 on: 2009-09-16 23:11:31 »
Whether it sounds "retarded" is not the debate (that is a matter of pure opinion and not fact).  Whether it is accurate is.  And it is Care.  There is no way around that.  All 5 translators have agreed with it, and more online.  Even you will probably agree that it is closer than Cure.  Cure would have started with Kyu for starters and did not.

I made it clear that accuracy would be taken over canon and "sounding better" from the start.  That is the way it is.  If people don't like that, they don't need to use it, they can use a modified version but any pretense that it is "more accurate" should be dropped.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-16 23:16:10 by chocofeather »

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-09-17 04:14:26 »
Whether it sounds "retarded" is not the debate (that is a matter of pure opinion and not fact).  Whether it is accurate is.  And it is Care.  There is no way around that.  All 5 translators have agreed with it, and more online.  Even you will probably agree that it is closer than Cure.  Cure would have started with Kyu for starters and did not.

I made it clear that accuracy would be taken over canon and "sounding better" from the start.  That is the way it is.  If people don't like that, they don't need to use it, they can use a modified version but any pretense that it is "more accurate" should be dropped.

Hope that settles "that".   :wink:

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-09-17 06:30:15 »
The "Care" thing is really no big deal.  Only one letter is changed.  Sheesh.

If it's such an issue, whoever downloads it can always change it back.  If he has enough time on his schedule to play the game, going through the kernel with Wall Market before playing it should not be such a bother.

As Otokoshi said, this is Seifer's mod.  He is free to do with it as he pleases.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #42 on: 2009-09-17 06:36:18 »
The "Care" thing is really no big deal.  Only one letter is changed.  Sheesh.

If it's such an issue, whoever downloads it can always change it back.  If he has enough time on his schedule to play the game, going through the kernel with Wall Market before playing it should not be such a bother.

As Otokoshi said, this is Seifer's mod.  He is free to do with it as he pleases.
So true. And you guys shouldn't bash on him and insult his work. Really. As QFT, this is Seifer's mod. If he says it's "Care", then let it be "Care." Yes, you have your opinions, but you guys saying "this is shit" or "this is really ridiculous"... Just let me say one thing. Who told you you have to use it? Nobody. And like Seer said, you can just edit the words that you don't like on your own.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-09-17 06:41:02 »
One more point.  Please don't argue against it further.  It looks like Seifer's mind is made up.

Though I guess it's a bit presumptuous to expect you not to argue, after I just argued against you :lol:

Sorry about that.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #44 on: 2009-09-17 06:42:17 »
One more point.  Please don't argue against it further.  It looks like Seifer's mind is made up.

Though I guess it's a bit presumptuous to expect you not to argue, after I just argued against you :lol:

Sorry about that.
Me? Lol.  :-)

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-09-17 08:16:49 »
That last post wasn't addressing you, sorry.  It was addressing the people who used censored language to get their point across about Care.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-09-17 11:20:20 »
I'm really starting to think that......these issues should been resolved if he just made the point that Whoever wants to download this mod is free to whomever wants it. He is not obliged whatsoever.. And never complain about it.... *perspires...

That was like...hard to do in one go!  :-P

chocofeather

« Reply #47 on: 2009-09-17 11:35:35 »
I don't mind constructive criticism.  Saying "THAT IS RETARDED OMG HOW COULD YOU!" is not.

Nor is "Rather than wait for him to release this abomination"

I mean really, let us look at this here.  The japanese used Care instead of Cure.  This is a 1 letter difference.  So is Marlboro.  If you say "care" to yourself, it isn't that bad at all.  What makes it "bad" is that you are used to Cure.   Had FF used "Care" since the start with english translations, no one would bat an eye lid.

It is easy to go back and change the ones people feel are blasphemous (lmao).  But the main point has always been, if we change 1 thing for accuracy, we cannot just leave another.  That would be as bad as what the original translators did.  "oh I don't like Care, so we will use Cure"  "What about Malboro?"  "oh it sounds ok as Marlboro anyway, so we can use that"  "What about longinus?"  "I really liked spirit lance....let's keep it"

and so on.  It does not work like that.

chocofeather

« Reply #48 on: 2009-09-17 12:52:20 »
I and a translator have had a big laugh today, after finally sussing what Gighee is.  We did mention it before, but now we know for SURE.

Gighee is Ziggy, named after the Bowie persona "Ziggy Stardust".  The katakana is a direct translation to it.

It is completely modelled after him:

http://www.ffsky.com/ff/zhuanti/FF7/MONSTER/Gighee.jpg

It even has a guitar as a tail! 
is glam rocked :P
And has some of Bowies trade mark make up including:
http://www.multinet.no/~jonarne/Hjemmesia/Favorittartister/davidbowie/david_bowie_1973.jpg

It also has a move "Stardust Ray"

I am a big fan of Bowie, seems Nomura is too :P

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009-09-17 13:10:15 »
That is interesting 8-)

Anyway... good luck with the rest of your translation project.

- end of thread - *crosses fingers*