Author Topic: Serious flaws is final fantasy 7's music.  (Read 28540 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Serious flaws is final fantasy 7's music.
« Reply #25 on: 2010-06-14 21:06:01 »
BTW I have windows 7 ultimate and ff7music runs fine for me. No run as admin or run in compatibility mode needed :)
It's not just about starting it up. I can START FF7Music just fine as well, but for it to actually WORK RIGHT it needs to be in a compatibility mode.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-06-14 21:06:55 »
IDK cause I had all the above listed problems and now the psf's are playing just like in winamp...I still am not running as admin(although the only account on my comp is mine, and Im admin.so in that respect I am running as admin.)

Finally am getting some bassy undertones on this music! Sounds wonderful with a great surround system with a 7 way graphic e.q.!(Gotta love those 7 way e.q.'s once you learn how to use em.)

Off-topic. I was interested covarr, your obviously a classically schooled musician. What do you guys think about musicians like me? I play any instrument I can get my hands on long enough to learn(Guitar, Piano, Trumpet, so far...)but have NO training or education except for youtube... I learn everything correctly though, I make sure to not learn bad habits.

My passion for guitar is so strong that anytime I play a solo, or even HEAR a solo on the radio, I get taken to another world, where my eyes are closed, and Im just rocking, I imagine the crowd and lights and me on stage, even If I have a rowd and stage, or even if Im in the car listening.I slip into this fantasy SO HARD that I get EXTREME goosebumps all over my body and MANY strong chills down my spine.
Happens EVERYTIME I play or listen to a good solo.
Ever heard someones passion for an insrument being this strong?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-14 21:12:32 by jeffdamann »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-06-14 21:11:32 »
Nevermind, I'd missed your edit that you got it fixed, lol.

Running on an admin account isn't the same as running as admin, unless you have UAC completely turned off. Even on an admin account, Windows won't let programs do certain things unless you specifically tell them to run as administrator.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-06-14 21:16:48 »
I do have user account control turned off....

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #29 on: 2010-06-19 12:34:44 »
Come to think about difference with MIDI and PSFs... is Soundfront mode on Creative cards really make it (MIDIs) sounds better? If so, I think I'm gonna buy one, coz I hate FF7Music since it doesn't do things properly ;<
« Last Edit: 2010-06-20 15:09:34 by Kein »

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-06-20 11:15:04 »
Come to think about difference with MIDI and PSFs... is Soundfront mode on Creative cards really make it (MIDIs) sounds better? If so, I think I'm gonna buy one, coz I hate FF7 since it doesn't do things properly ;<
Not sure about your hardware question but if you do not know yet you could play mp3 instead of the midi. That will make things much prettier. :) Just use FF7Music.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #31 on: 2010-06-20 15:11:44 »
I've fixed my previous post so you can understand what I meant earlier.
FF&music sucks no matter what do you use: PSFs or MP3s. It just doesn't do some things properly, does not fade outs when it's needed, does not stop/continue in many cases, etc... This is much more annoying then the bad MIDI quality even.

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-06-20 16:10:49 »
I've fixed my previous post so you can understand what I meant earlier.
FF&music sucks no matter what do you use: PSFs or MP3s. It just doesn't do some things properly, does not fade outs when it's needed, does not stop/continue in many cases, etc... This is much more annoying then the bad MIDI quality even.
I have to agree here, it's not a solution at all.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #33 on: 2010-06-20 16:35:17 »
I heard that Soundfront which is available on creative cards can be some kind of solution here, but I haven't found nay useful information in Qhimm's forums about that.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-06-20 20:58:08 »
there is a program called Timidity++ that allows you to used soundfonts without owning a creative card. The are also FF7 soundfonts avalbe online that make the music in FF7 sound a million times better. That is how i fixed the crappy music, and i refuse to try and hassle with ff7music.

lee

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #35 on: 2010-06-20 21:56:43 »
there is a program called Timidity++ that allows you to used soundfonts without owning a creative card. The are also FF7 soundfonts avalbe online that make the music in FF7 sound a million times better. That is how i fixed the crappy music, and i refuse to try and hassle with ff7music.
lee
Can you explain things with a bit more details please? :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-06-21 02:54:49 »
Timidty++
basically, when you install timidity++ it adds a software midi processor to your computer. Once it's installed go into your Control Panel and set the Timidity++ as the default MIDI playback device. That part is finished.

FF7 Soundfont
Download this an place it in the Timidity++ directory, then setup Timidity++ so it uses this soundfont. I don't currently have Timidty++ installed so i cant really elborate on how you do this. I know Timidity is kinda odd, and it's not immediately apparent on how to do this.

Once you get all of this done, start FF7config and set Timidity++ as the MIDI playback device. I don't recall if the test button will work, but i dont think that it does. Just start the game up and see if it's working, if not, check Timidity and make sure it is setup properly.

The music sounds tons better than the default MIDIs that the game plays. I prefer this solution to ff7music because fading works properly and all the tracks still loop properly. It also gives you access to soundfonts if you dabble in MIDI like i d, but don't have a Creative soundcard.

lee

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-06-21 03:32:58 »
Hmmmm, I've tried that method out, and it actually DOES make the game sound better in general.
It's a double edged sword tho, while some sound worlds apart better, some sound kinda off.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #38 on: 2010-06-21 14:43:51 »
pyrozen
Yeah, I tried already what you say but coz of some reason Timidity can't emulate "Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64)". May be it is because I'm on Vista? :<

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-06-21 19:18:06 »
hard to say, i never tried using it on a Vista system. Maybe make sure your running as administrator? Double check Timidity too, like i said it's not the most user friendly program, it took me quite a few tries before i got it up and running.

It's not a full solution to the poor music, but the soundfont definitely adds depth to the flat sounding tracks the game came with. Some instruments are more noticeable, but it is definitely an improvement, rather than simply an alternative.

lee

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #40 on: 2010-06-21 19:37:57 »
I already figured out how it works, iti s not hard.
The only thing I can't figure out is how to make it emulate that MIDI Output ;<
I guess if it is released in 2008 it has some kind of support for Vista (I hope, i haven' read svn's changelog, too hueg).

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-06-21 20:03:00 »
I've tested the plugin with Win7 Pro x64 and it worked flawlessly. This to say that since 7 and Vista are around the same thing, it WILL work on Vista.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #42 on: 2010-06-21 20:31:16 »
No, it doesn't. FF7 config says it cannot open the device for Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64) to play test MIDI.
Yes, it "works" in game, but not like you say or do think. It plays it via General MIDI (fail safe mode? idk) coz I can't hear a difference between General MIDI output and Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64) , but I can clearly hear the difference between Yamaha XG and General MIDI. The last one sounds a bit more close to FF7's PSFs (not alway tho, in some cases general MIDI beats it, like in battle music,or Fanfare), also, Yamaha XG has big delay/latency, dunno why and how to set it up/fix it.

Samples:
General MIDI
Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64
Yamaha XG
« Last Edit: 2010-06-21 20:50:03 by Kein »

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010-06-21 21:33:49 »
You just didn't got the thing working properly I'm sure.
As soon as I get home (in around 1:30 from now) ill make a new thread and elaborate on everything you need to do.
It's quite simple, but not very straightforward (Next,Next,Next,Next wont get you there :P).

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-06-21 23:13:43 »
As soon as I get home (in around 1:30 from now) ill make a new thread and elaborate on everything you need to do.
It's quite simple, but not very straightforward (Next,Next,Next,Next wont get you there :P).
As promised here are the instructions to get Timidity++ to work: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10206.0
(please don't mind the post presentation, i just don't have enough time right now to make it all nice and fluffy)

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #45 on: 2010-06-21 23:32:56 »
You just stating the obvious things in that post, I'd set  up already Timidity on my system. I even browsed it's wiki/docs for while (google translate burns), found a way how can I emulate Soundblaster Audigy in Timidity player itself.

But, as I said, I wasn't able to find a way to emulate "Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64)" output. And you said nothing of that.

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-06-21 23:52:33 »
You just stating the obvious things in that post, I'd set  up already Timidity on my system. I even browsed it's wiki/docs for while (google translate burns), found a way how can I emulate Soundblaster Audigy in Timidity player itself.

But, as I said, I wasn't able to find a way to emulate "Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64)" output. And you said nothing of that.

Oh, don't worry, i didn't do it for you, I did it so everyone knows about this option.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #47 on: 2010-06-22 01:21:19 »
Umm... well, ya'now, english is not my native language. I didn't plan to offend/insult you (sorry), just trying to say you were wrong when said:

The main point of my question in this thread was about Soundfont MIDI (Creative AWE32/AWE64) emulation. THAT would be really nice.
Ofc, I can just copy ff7's original SFs, but oh well... that's not exactly the same.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-22 01:23:08 by Kein »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010-06-27 19:04:42 »
I think this is kinda on topic with this. And it is tech related (obesebear feel free to beat me if i was wrong)

But, just bought a Creative Titanium Fatal1ty. and was wondering if this will support the MIDI sound fonts in FF7.

Kein

• View Profile
    • Shin-Ra Inc.
« Reply #49 on: 2010-06-27 20:39:52 »
Try and tell us? Tell me if it works so I'll tell you how to record things proprely ;P