Author Topic: What consoles do you all own?  (Read 24547 times)

M0T

• View Profile
Re: What consoles do you all own?
« Reply #25 on: 2006-11-25 20:28:19 »
Consoles I own:

Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
Gamecube
Playstation 2
Xbox
Xbox 360

Least played (over their lifetime) would be the ps2, most would be the Super Nes.

Out of the latest generation I'd buy a Wii or a 360 if I were you (its what I'm doing). Ps3 seems to offer nothing that the 360 doesn't in terms of games, and from what I have read the 360 is better for a whole host of reasons.  Plus I can actually play 360 now and PS3 isn't out until march.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #26 on: 2006-11-25 20:57:00 »
I've got a NGC, a PS2, a GB, GBC, GBA and GBA-SP.

Kashmir

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-11-27 09:46:43 »
Considerably larger than the difference between a modern PC and modern console. Back then consoles were truly dedicated gaming machines, while computers were... well, computers.

Or like Wikipedia says:

A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer. The term is used to distinguish a machine designed for consumers to buy and use solely for playing video games from a personal computer, which has many other functions, or arcade games, which are designed for businesses to buy and then charge others to play.

I can't even believe that I have to explain something so fundamental.

Pity that (world's only?) webserver running on C64 seems to be down.

Its hardly fundamental, how people categorise things is completely up to them alone. I doubt the ISO has determined what decides the difference between a console and microcomputer & i doubt they ever will as there is not much point. And its not like we all have to obey the organisation even if they did/have.

To stereotype something as a microcomputer just because of the way it was designed without any consideration as to what it was & will be used for is rather stupid.
Just like it stupid of me to stereotype the c64 as a console just because i used & treated it like one.
The only truely acceptable stereotype for a object / item really is the name it has been given or none at all.

So as to refrase and widen the scope my question so it is at a agreeable level for everyone on this forum and to prevent further arguement (hopefully),
What electrical devices that plug into a television set do any of you own and like to use to play video games on?
or handheld portable electrical devices that you also use?

and as a bonus question, was the psp any good? what are some good games for one? or is the ds better?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006-11-27 10:29:48 »
Well, I haven't touched a PSP on my life, but acording to what I've read, It's an excelent emulators machine. On the other hand, his native games aren't specially good.
I own a DS and I don't regret having buyed it. But It certainly looses appeal without a flashcard. It isn't just a matter of using backups. The homebrewn aplications that float around the net really add a lot of value to the machine.

Jari

« Reply #29 on: 2006-11-27 11:04:20 »
Its hardly fundamental, how people categorise things is completely up to them alone. I doubt the ISO has determined what decides the difference between a console and microcomputer & i doubt they ever will as there is not much point. And its not like we all have to obey the organisation even if they did/have.

WTF?

This has to be most convoluted defense ever, and just for being plain wrong.

So, if I were to categorize myself as black, I'd suddenly become one? I doubt that the ISO has determined me as white, either. Like it or not, we can NOT categorize things as we please. Or if we do, we'll have to face the reality that we might have categorized them wrong.

There is massive difference between microcomputers and consoles. You can play games with one. With the other one you can play games, you can program (believe it or not, I used to program quite a bit on my MSX), you can visit BBS' or Internet (Internet would be more of later Amigas' thing, BBS' being C64's). One has a keyboard, other one does not. One had image editing programs, video editing programs (you do understand that Amigas have been used in commercial TV-productions for subtitling? Their video toaster was way ahead of its time - and the larger ones were used to design and render the CGI for Babylon 5, for example), word processors and... well, basically almost everything modern PC has - the other had none of these.

You do that with SNES, and then I'll agree that they are the one and the same thing.

To stereotype something as a microcomputer just because of the way it was designed without any consideration as to what it was & will be used for is rather stupid.

What you say? How exactly were they designed "without any consideration as to what it was"?

The only truely acceptable stereotype for a object / item really is the name it has been given or none at all.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I thought that I had been saying that all along. Geez.

They have been known as microcomputers (or computers of some flavor) since their birth, up to this day. They have been marketed as such. Why can't you accept that they are computers, and consoles are a different beasts altogether?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006-11-27 12:57:48 »
Then the PS2 and PS3 are computers too, same goes for the XboX and XboX360 cus you can do everything on those too, like programming etc... just get linux on it.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-27 17:17:29 by Alhexx »

Jari

« Reply #31 on: 2006-11-27 13:14:33 »
So, you like quoted my entire post, just to make one line reply? Way to go.

Netiquette. Read it. It'll do you good.

Seriously, that is not only entirely unnecessary, but also really ugly.

As for your question: I believe that I already stated:

Considerably larger than the difference between a modern PC and modern console. Back then consoles were truly dedicated gaming machines, while computers were... well, computers.

Compared to the earlier consoles that we were talking about, modern consoles are much closer to computers, no question about it.

However, I would like to point out that neither of the Xboxes were meant to run Linux - both need exploits to do it. And PS2... well, ask halkun how long it will take to compile a kernel on it. Hint: 32MBs of memory don't make a very fast computer, if you want to run anything even resembling a modern app on it.

And none of them come with a keyboard as a standard, for example. Or Linux, unless you want to count the PS2 bundle as 'standard'. While both C64 and Amiga did (just replace the word 'Linux' with 'operating system').

So, they are not computers... but they sure are lot closer than their old counterparts used to be.

EDIT: Actually, is there an exploit to run unsigned code on 360 yet? Does anyone know?

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006-11-27 14:07:53 »
EDIT: Actually, is there an exploit to run unsigned code on 360 yet? Does anyone know?

Yes, there is.

Mod Edit: Do not quote whole posts.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-27 17:18:54 by Alhexx »

Jari

« Reply #33 on: 2006-11-27 19:35:50 »
*snicker*

You know, there is a difference between trying to annoy me, and trying to make an ass out of yourself. Seems that you are accomplishing the wrong objective. :-D But do not worry, I wish you luck on the road you have chosen.

Now that we have gotten the silliness out of the way, you no doubt want to post links about this exploit?

You wouldn't want to look like someone just talking out of their ass, would you? :-P

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006-11-27 20:46:12 »
I do, seeming my objective is being and idiot.
Or you could have asked nice (which is what normal people do, not internet junkies) and I would have given it to you in a nice PM. Sucks to be you now though, I bet it would take you 5 minutes of googling to find this "precious" info.

Jari

« Reply #35 on: 2006-11-27 21:19:27 »
Or you could have asked nice (which is what normal people do, not internet junkies)

Hahahah. How hilarious, to see that coming from you. :-D Hypocrite much?

...and I would have given it to you in a nice PM. Sucks to be you now though, I bet it would take you 5 minutes of googling to find this "precious" info.

Newsflash; I don't need to know - I don't even have a 360. I wanted to know whether you were making this up, or not. Seems that you were. Too bad.

PS. My five minutes of Googling revealed a way to run backups, but no way to run unsigned code. So, unless you can back your claims with proof... you fail. Again.

Kashmir

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-11-28 05:34:48 »
so back topic, i was seriously considering a psp because i decided that portability was important & well the price of the ps3 is just too much & i have zero interest in the wii or xbox.

I like the hardware & look of the psp, and the size of the screen (not too keen on the duel screens on the ds). But the problem is there is no decent games available for it... is this ever going to change?

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #37 on: 2006-11-28 13:11:19 »
Is this ever going to change?

Um... No?
[edit] Apparently, the forums edit "bullsh*t", so the above link will not be direct... Simply click maddox's latest article : ).

As the owner of a DS, and the brother of an owner of a PSP, I'm going to have to say that I'm much happier with a DS.

The loading times for the DS are virtually instant, whilst my brother waits nearly 5 minutes to play one level of battlefront.

The DS is backwards compatible with GBA, and has an arsenal of good games (Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS), and is more than half the price of a PSP...

I don't know, the only reason I would ever buy a PSP would be because of it's homebrew/emulation capabilities. You can jack up your PSP though if you're not careful.

Make your choice wisely...

-RPGillespie
« Last Edit: 2006-11-29 03:09:05 by RPGillespie »

Kashmir

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006-11-30 04:54:26 »
Okay so i guess the DS is the way to go, ill guess i will put my duel screen phobia behind me and go get one...

also FF3 has just come out on it, thats been a huge deciding factor for me.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006-11-30 08:24:10 »
Okay so i guess the DS is the way to go, ill guess i will put my duel screen phobia behind me and go get one...

also FF3 has just come out on it, thats been a huge deciding factor for me.
Heh, I own a DS and really like it, a friend of mine has a PSP and it's ridiculous how long loading takes.
In WWE smackdown (or whatever the psp version is called) takes 8 minutes from boot till first game.

You wont regret buying a DS, especially if you're gonna play FFIII on it ;)

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #40 on: 2006-11-30 15:26:54 »
Or Mario Kart DS.  We could race online if you like.

L. Spiro

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006-12-17 21:16:41 »
In order of purchase or accrument:
Acorn Electron (Yes it does play games),
Commodore 64,
Game Boy,
Bleem! (Yes I paid for it and was well worth it to play GT, MGS, Xenogears and FF8),
Playstation 2 (Never thought I would give in and give Sony my money),
Nintendo 64 (ISS98, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Mario Kart - No comment!),
Gamecube (So damn cheap for a new console I thought I would give it a go).

Possibly get a Wii in the new year, but no way am I getting an Xbox and I will try and avoid the temptations of the PS3 (Damn you Pro evolution Soccer...)

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006-12-18 07:30:57 »
I got a Wii now, it really rocks.
Twilight Princess really consumes all my time at the moment now though :P

I recommend everyone to get a Wii with Zelda:TP, it'll rock you over.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #43 on: 2006-12-19 21:46:45 »
NES
Genesis
N64
PS
PS2
Xbox
Wii

I am selling the Wii.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006-12-20 16:18:36 »
I have a PS1, PSP and a SEGA Game Gear.

Darkness: Why are you seeling the Wii?

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #45 on: 2006-12-21 15:14:40 »
I have a PS1, PSP and a SEGA Game Gear.

Darkness: Why are you seeling the Wii?

Well I was going to make some quick Christmas money, but I'm stuck in 3 feet of snow 70 miles from home. I guess I'm keeping it ;p

Jari

« Reply #46 on: 2006-12-21 16:24:15 »
Oh, that's where all my snow went. I want it back! Gimme gimme! :-D

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007-01-06 20:38:16 »
i have all after the nes