Author Topic: Chocobo breeding gone wrong  (Read 3148 times)

Gingercat

• View Profile
Chocobo breeding gone wrong
« on: 2007-09-13 12:17:03 »
Hey folks
Playing the PC version of FF7, and no matter what I do, breeding Class S "great female" yellow and Class S "good male" yellow together with a Carob Nut ONLY produce a green male - Likewise for great male + good female. I've loaded the file to retry 37 (and counting...) times now, thinking "eventually, probability says that it's GOT to be something different".

I've tried changing the PC clock, thinking that might somehow have something to do with the *cough* "random" nature that the breeding is SUPPOSED to have, but I'm just not getting anywhere...

Is there some known issue that can cause this to happen? If so, how do I get around it? I know that breeding isn't supposed to be a sure-fire thing every time, but hey, it's not supposed to be this stupidly tedious either. It wasn't nearly this bad on the PS1.

Anyone got any ideas?

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
Re: Chocobo breeding gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-13 15:05:25 »
Just do some different things before you let 'em breed like a few battles, enter some towns etc..

It'll stay the same way if you go from the save to the breeding directly everytime over.

Lag.Com

• Nyan-te na!
    • View Profile
    • Lag.Website
« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-13 17:06:34 »
Yeah, I'm fairly sure FF7 for the PC stores the random number seed in the save file, so you have to try new things. Note that just taking slightly different actions in battle should change the seed a lot.

Gingercat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-14 00:15:27 »
I did think of that after Try Number 8... Although it didn't seem to help that I would bugger off in the airship to this random continent / island or that one, use or not use Limit Breaks, magic, Enemy Skills etc in battle or even try escaping from a few, come back, and try with the same results...

I toured a couple of towns again (like Rocket Town, went back to hole-in-the-ground Mideel for a look...), went back to the Chocobo Farm, saved to the same and eventually a different save slot (that was for Try Number 12)... Nada. The major reason why I bothered so many times was that I was trying so many different methods just to work out what (if anything in particular) was influencing the outcome of the breeding attempt so I and others could avoid this problem in the future.

Try Number 21 saw me grabbing the Jenova save editor, editing the parents so they switched genders and names, and tried again another 6 times.

Changed them back, fiddled with the "number of races won" (thereby changing the rank from S to A)... This fiddling (and toss in a few battles for good measure) took me up Try Number 39.

At this point, even someone as bullheaded as me has to give up and start over.

I released all the chocobos in my possession, went and re-caught the necessary ones, fed these the necessary greens, raced them to Class A (forget Class S, the ever-cursed TEIOH turned up 3 races running and we all know that he's pretty much unbeatable with anything less than a well-bred black, so I gave up on that), bred them... And lo and behold! A male Blue Chocobo! Celebrations abound.

Did some battles... Re-bred the parents... And for another EIGHT TIMES, I got the ever-cursed GREEN MALE!! The ninth time, I got a green female and have since bred a black female from them to work with the wonderful male that I caught.

It was absolutely never this hard on the PS version, so what gives here? I'm wondering why the green male is so smitten with my PC version that he will elbow out anything else.

Lag.Com

• Nyan-te na!
    • View Profile
    • Lag.Website
« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-14 18:01:49 »
Honestly, I have no idea. I managed to breed a Gold quite easily using the standard method on my PC version. (Not that you need to, just give Ruby Weapon a call :D)

Oh, and it should be easy to get to S class if you use the Stamina cheat thingy.