Miscellaneous Forums > Troubleshooting

Running FFVII in WINE (Linux)

<< < (2/4) > >>

norikoteiko:
Better run is with Cedega.

The newest Cedega is content of the GamTree Linux Developer program.

You can Download it here http://gametreelinux.com/ the only thing is needed is a registration.

If you are running FF7 trough Wine you can install needed Windows DLL´s or DirectX with Winetricks.

sithlord48:

--- Quote from: norikoteiko on 2012-01-19 04:05:23 ---Better run is with Cedega.

The newest Cedega is content of the GamTree Linux Developer program.

You can Download it here http://gametreelinux.com/ the only thing is needed is a registration.

If you are running FF7 trough Wine you can install needed Windows DLL´s or DirectX with Winetricks.

--- End quote ---

how can u run better then fullspeed?

norikoteiko:

--- Quote from: sithlord48 on 2012-01-19 12:55:54 ---how can u run better then fullspeed?

--- End quote ---

cedega runs in fullspeed and is easier to use for casual user

Arek:
nori, I would never recommend Cedega to anyone anymore.  If you want an easier time handling wine and its quirks, use PlayOnLinux instead - it does many of the things Cedega does, but is free, and if you want to support wine development, use Crossover (formerly Crossover Games) instead, since it's made by the same folks that make Wine itself, and the proceeds go to supporting the folks who make Wine the great program it is.

Last I checked, Cedega is a far less-supported product based on a very old version of Wine, and its compatibility, frankly, sucked.  Badly  (Heck, Wine now supports .NET 2.0 well enough to run BFE - something I seriously doubt Cedega can claim).  The only thing Cedega can lay claim to is compatibility with certain very obnoxious copy-protection methods used by some games - copy protection methods which are not used in FF7, or many other games for that matter....and even Wine is much better at handling these than it used to be. :-)

--Arek

P.S.  Let it be known that I haven't checked out Cedega in a good while, but my comments above stand.  Cedega cannot benefit from improvements in mainline Wine, since those improvements are released under the GPL and Cedega relies on the older less restrictive licensing wine used to be released under (MIT, iirc, or perhaps the modified BSD license), so any improvements happening to Cedega have to be developed independently of Wine, or at least specifically given to the Cedega folks by the programmers that wrote them.

syntax error:
It could be that FF VII blocking bugs are already fixed in WINE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version