Author Topic: Aali's Driver not working for FF8  (Read 4905 times)

G0R3Z

• View Profile
Aali's Driver not working for FF8
« on: 2014-03-11 12:25:02 »
First post just for this problem.

I'm running FF8 from the 2000 version after I saw the steam version released and became nostalgic. I ripped them to ISOs as I would rather not use my disk drive (too loud). I changed the registry to play it, stating H as the Data drive for the virtual drive.

I installed aali's custom driver it won't start. It just says "Failed to load custom driver". I've set everything to use administrators rights and I don't have this problem using FF7. Any ideas? I've looked through the bugs and suggestions thread for aali's driver but I can't seem to post there and I can't find a solution there Either.

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Aali's Driver not working for FF8
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-11 12:51:14 »
Have you installed the 1.2 patch ? to use Aali's custom driver for FF8 you need it, also make sure EAX is installed (usually comes with the 1.2 patch) before installing the custom driver, If this still hasn't fixed it, check to see if you have a app.log and if you do post it here. It could also be a UAC problem (if you are using vista,win7,win8) so you could also try installing the game to a non-system path (like C:\Games) and try that.

G0R3Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-11 13:08:18 »
I've installed the 1.2 patch and EAX; it said already installed. I don't have an app.log because it doesn't actually load the game, it comes up with a dialog box saying "failed to load custom driver". I've got it installed on a different hard drive, which is obviously a non-system path.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-11 13:33:59 »
Ok when you installed Aali's driver did you copy all the files ? if certain files are missing like "ff7_opengl.fgd" you will get that error (yes i know its looks like its for ff7 but it is required of FF8), if all the files and folders are in the correct place then i am really not sure why this is happening. Maybe post a screenshot of all the files in your FF8 folder might help.

G0R3Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-11 22:34:09 »
It worked having the ff7opengl.cfg in there. I really didn't know it was required as well.

I have a new problem. How do I configure the mods? I have Roses and Wine as well as Seed and neither mods are being displayed..

Edit: I had a look around and I got roses and Wine to work, turns out disable popup wasn't needed for this version. However, SeeD isn't working. I have some of the graphics like the main menu splash screen and portraits but the actual fonts are not showing up. I've set my mod path to data as that's the only folder in the mods folder, for SeeD.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-11 22:55:53 by G0R3Z »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-15 05:20:17 »
It worked having the ff7opengl.cfg in there. I really didn't know it was required as well.

I have a new problem. How do I configure the mods? I have Roses and Wine as well as Seed and neither mods are being displayed..

Edit: I had a look around and I got roses and Wine to work, turns out disable popup wasn't needed for this version. However, SeeD isn't working. I have some of the graphics like the main menu splash screen and portraits but the actual fonts are not showing up. I've set my mod path to data as that's the only folder in the mods folder, for SeeD.

Hey G0R3Z -- SeeD probably isn't showing fonts because you didn't set 'Hi-Resolution fonts' in the FF8Config.exe configuration.  There are pages and pages in the forums of all of the issues you've had, but they're in the process of being sorted out to be easier to find.

inv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-22 08:33:01 »
I installed Nvidea 1.2 driver from FF8SqeaNVPatch.zip-> Installed Aali's driver ff7_opengl-0.8.1b.zip -> Installed Roses and Wine, but the game doesn't detect my XBox 360 controller.

If from a fresh install of Final Fantasy VIII, the controller works fine, directional pad movement not recognized however. Can any1 help?