Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1836111 times)

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2200 on: 2012-12-19 22:51:13 »
There is a memory leak with the OpenGL driver.
The game will eventually crash after extended periods of running.
Avoid pausing the game during battles.
Pausing during battles exacerbates the leak.

How much ram is in your computer?
Save often.

Pit I have run into a problem bootleg 39 is not running on my 690gtx sli and saying I not got enough memory any reason you know of

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: 2012-12-20 03:10:39 »
Check the app.log to make sure the game is using the correct video card.
You may need to force the game to run on the NVidia GPU.

Q:I'm experiencing black screens, tearing and stuttering.
A:Bootleg is not compatible with Intel graphics cards.  If you are using a laptop with a Radeon/NVidia card, you may also have an Intel card.
  The game uses the default video card which may be the Intel card.
  Check in the app.log to identify which card FF7 is using.
  To force FF7 to run on the Radeon/NVidia card, go into the graphics settings and "add" the file/app, "FF7.exe," to run on the improved performance processor.

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: 2012-12-20 09:53:07 »
Check the app.log to make sure the game is using the correct video card.
You may need to force the game to run on the NVidia GPU.

Q:I'm experiencing black screens, tearing and stuttering.
A:Bootleg is not compatible with Intel graphics cards.  If you are using a laptop with a Radeon/NVidia card, you may also have an Intel card.
  The game uses the default video card which may be the Intel card.
  Check in the app.log to identify which card FF7 is using.
  To force FF7 to run on the Radeon/NVidia card, go into the graphics settings and "add" the file/app, "FF7.exe," to run on the improved performance processor.

Got the graphics card bit working but it seems now there is a problem with the memory I have got 64 gigs of ram but saying I have not got enough I do not understand.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2203 on: 2012-12-20 21:11:00 »
64 GB RAM? Excuse me but I'm gonna go with "you're mistaking 64 bit OS for 64 GB ram" here

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: 2012-12-20 22:20:00 »
64GB ram is still a bit unusual for a laptop or even a desktop.
That's something I would expect more from a server rather than a gaming machine.
Are you sure it's RAM and not an SSD HDD?

What type of error message are you receiving?
Is the game crashing with a specific message?

Post your app.log.

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: 2012-12-20 22:59:13 »
64 GB RAM? Excuse me but I'm gonna go with "you're mistaking 64 bit OS for 64 GB ram" here

No it is 64 gig of ram 8 sticks of 8 gig running at  ram running at 2000 mhz the highest ammount you can have in a pc with windows 7 you must understand i paid a fortune for my rig, anyways the error message I am getting is unable to due to lack of memory apllication closing.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: 2012-12-20 23:06:21 »
tifalockheart1983,
What size is your page file?
Are you running any other programs?
Have you recently updated drivers?

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: 2012-12-21 00:35:08 »
tifalockheart1983,
What size is your page file?
Are you running any other programs?
Have you recently updated drivers?

No other programmes are running at all, updated all drivers to latest I am not sure what you mean by page file pit.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: 2012-12-21 09:12:34 »
No other programmes are running at all, updated all drivers to latest I am not sure what you mean by page file pit.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but who orders a laptop with 64gb of ram, if they don't know what a pagefile is?

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: 2012-12-21 09:28:48 »
Sorry if this sounds rude, but who orders a laptop with 64gb of ram, if they don't know what a pagefile is?

It is not a laptop it is a desktop you could not fit 64 gig in a laptop,I do now know what a page file is now the size says 8000mb

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: 2012-12-21 10:58:44 »
It is not a laptop it is a desktop you could not fit 64 gig in a laptop,I do now know what a page file is now the size says 8000mb

Ah, well I've never worked with more than 16gb of ram, so I'm not sure if the standard rule applies, but normally the page file should be 1-2x as large as your physical memory. So if the standard rule applies, your page file should be anywhere from 64-128gb.

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: 2012-12-21 13:21:38 »
Ah, well I've never worked with more than 16gb of ram, so I'm not sure if the standard rule applies, but normally the page file should be 1-2x as large as your physical memory. So if the standard rule applies, your page file should be anywhere from 64-128gb.

The company I got it from overclockers adjusted it because they said that you do not need to have the page file at that size like you said 1 to 2x the size of your main ram

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: 2012-12-21 13:47:44 »
64 GB of RAM? Pardon me, but this is highly unlikely. While not impossible, just unlikely. And if you DO have as much as 64 GB, then I would need someone to tell me why the game won't run. Unless your graphic card is uncompatible. And post your APP.LOG using

[ code ]code tags (put text here)[ /code ]

And get rid of the space in the []'s

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2213 on: 2012-12-21 14:33:48 »
My pc runs on quantum cardboard!
Feel free to prove me wrong by posting a screen from CPUZ and a textfile with your name in it

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2214 on: 2012-12-21 16:34:43 »
lol Kuugen. MUST know before the end of the world today, huh?

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: 2012-12-21 17:39:49 »
Some older software requires a page file.
Sure, setting the page file lower theoretically forces Windows to use the much faster RAM, but it will also prevent a lot of old software from running.

You may need to increase the size of the page file or change it back to system managed in order to run FF7.

Eleventeen

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: 2012-12-21 21:55:33 »
I think it might just be an issue with how the game detects how much ram you have. It might be overflowing and detecting it incorrectly since you have such a huge amount of ram, and likely more then the developers of the game ever anticipated anyone having.

Perhaps actaully try taking some sticks out of your system and see if that helps, it nots like having more than 8gb or so has any effect on gaming anyways.

FF7 itself is a 32-bit exe, and thus absolutely cannot address more then 2gb of ram no matter what. Mine personally, with a 100% install of bootleg and max settings uses about 200mb-300mb tops..

re: Pagefile, no you absolutely do not want a 64gig pageflie, thats just a huge waste of hard drive space, regardless of how much memory you have. Any poorly coded old apps that care about it are 32bit, thus the same rules apply to them, they cant use over 2gb, so any pagefile over 2gb is plenty. I use 4gb regardless of my ram on any system with 4b or higher, and it works fine on everything.

And im not sure why some of you guys are so incredulous about how much ram he has. If someones crazy and rich enough to buy a GTX690, they certainly would not have a problem buying the maximum amount of ram either, which is 64gb for win7/most platforms, and really not that expensive these days. It's not worth it as it will have no affect on anything he does, but for people who don't know a lot about computers, im sure its actaully not that uncommon for them to want the "most". and in this case, may even be the reason hes getting that error.

So yea, try taking out 4 of your 8 sticks, (take out one from every other slot to ensure you still have dual/quad channel), and see if that helps. Or even all but 1 stick, as even 8gb is way overkill for ff7.

PS: Thanks for bootleg, mines running great even after multiple installs trying lots of options.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: 2012-12-21 22:16:10 »
I have Bootleg .040 pretty much ready for release.
Everything seems to work for whatever that's worth.
In order to stick with  the release schedule (before the end of the world) I had to cut two features: individually customizable music tracks and field weapon that matches the battle weapon.
Maybe those features will stake make it into a future release.

Do any of the testers have any final complaints before this 6!+(# drops?

Eleventeen

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: 2012-12-22 03:56:39 »
Awesome yea release it.

I have a simple feature request for 41 tho:
For the menu overhaul, expose more options. Specificly: The "show all status effects in menu". I saw that eq2alyzas video and had no idea why I didnt see that show up in my game.. But figured it out, had to install MO.exe over top my bootleg install again, and enable the show all status effects. Though its complicated to do, especially with the multi-mode bootloader thing going.

Possibly bug/issue I noticed also (not necessarily with bootleg, maybe from the original mod itself):
"reasonable difficulty" has no effect on enemy difficulty at all. Maybe its bugged or just doesnt do anything beside changing steal rates (though I noticed no real difference in that from reasonable to hardcore either, other then hardcore being harder on the enemies which it has boosted levels up a lot - which seems like most of them atm, tho not all)..

But yea I checked many enemies and everyone had the exact same hp/dmg/level/etc. Where as I after I try hardcore, and suddenly the same enemie has freakin 4x the HP, hits 4 times as hard and has double the level, plus most encounters have added enemies, and more often inflict more status effects. EG: I switched it on at the chocobo farm, a Levikro on reasonable was a joke, 1 shot it and it hit for very little.. Put on hardcore, they have 4x hp, nearly 1 shot my character,s and when I do survive, they quickly put my whole party in berserk, which I had no items to protect against at that point.. Was nearly impossible for a simple trash monster battle due to that. Tried it again later at Gogaga villa with a lot more items and materia and its not as crazy tho.

Would be nice to have something in between.. As to me it feels like regular = Easy and Hardcore = Very hard.
« Last Edit: 2012-12-22 04:00:03 by Eleventeen »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: 2012-12-22 04:30:09 »
Yay, the Reasonable Difficulty bug is already fixed.

The Menu Overhaul option "show all status effects in menu" was called "Status Icons" in the option list.
I changed it to "Show Status" for clarity.
Otherwise Bootleg .040 is code complete.

JowHoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: 2012-12-22 11:25:38 »
Thought I'd go with one last try on this. Anyone know what the issue is below?

"Checking Operating System . . .

Laying Bootleg Edit. . .
Checking Operating System...
32Bit Installation
Final Fantasy VII Installation Located:
"E:\Games\FINAL FANTASY VII\"
Access Denied! Installation Aborted!!
Run Bootleg.exe with Administrator Priviledges.
Right click on Bootleg.exe and in the context menu:
    Select PROPERTIES
    Go to the COMPATIBILITY tab
    Check the box by 'Run this program as an administrator'

Removing setup files . . .
Please remain patient . . .
Completed Clean up.

Bootleg Aborted!
There was a problem during installation.
The game files might be damaged.

Please do a FULL install of Final Fantasy VII to a NON-SYSTEM folder.
Make sure that all MODS are in the SAME FOLDER with Bootleg.exe.

Close all open FF7 files and folders before starting Bootleg.

Run Bootleg.exe as ADMINISTRATOR.
For help use the command line switch-- Bootleg /?
Press any key to continue . . ."

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: 2012-12-22 16:10:15 »
Yeah, everything runs great so far Pit. Awesome work. I'd release it "as is."

Sinfull

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: 2012-12-22 17:25:49 »
I'm getting a strange error after everytime i try and run the game either via the start menu FF7.exe, the bootloader.exe or the FF7music.exe files the screen flashes like it would when starting a game and says the game encountered a problem and must close but using the bootloader i managed to catch a glimpse of the message shown with the command prompt "SUCCESS: Sent termination signal to the process "FF7Music.exe" with PID 4404". I followed the guide correctly and to the letter installing it to first C:/games/Final Fantasy VII and then to a separate hard drive. I know its nothing to do with an antivirus program as I don't have one running as of yet. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and I know the specs are powerful enough as can run any modern game on standard to high settings. Any reason why after running bootleg it decides to crash game like this? thanks for the help

Randomocity

• View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: 2012-12-22 19:14:40 »
PitBrat, I'm hoping you can help me out with an error that I'm getting. I installed Bootleg on top of my PC2012 copy of FF7 (Win8 x64, ATI 6750, Creative X-fi sound card), and every time I start to load the opening FMV, the game crashes and I get this error:

Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
INFO: C:\Games\FF7\movies\opening.avi; vp8/vorbis 1280x896, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 119.467000, frames: 1792
ERROR: couldn't lock sound buffer
ERROR: unhandled exception

I'm using the safe loader options, and I'm not entirely sure how to fix this. Any help you could provide would be awesome. I can attach my .bp file and the coredump if needed. Thanks in advance!

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: 2012-12-22 22:18:54 »
What version of Bootleg are you running?