Miscellaneous Forums > Troubleshooting

FF7 Mod - Remove Mouths (Help/Request)

<< < (2/7) > >>

skull-boy666:

--- Quote from: Sega Chief on 2013-07-10 21:21:33 ---Hi all, here's a patch I put together that'll remove all those gaping NPC mouth textures. It basically replaces all of the mouth textures with a 'blank' one that makes them look like they did on the PSX. Just tested it, and seems to have worked. Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nh088mjhvmfxqx7

The patch is an .exe so you just run it and specify the 'field' folder in FF7's data folder when asked for it. I've only tested this with the old FF7 PC though, so not sure how compatible it's going to be with the newer versions. It's a pretty minor mod but good practice for creating patches and making them available. If there's any issues or if I've missed any of the mouth texture files then let me know; I've got a big ol' notepad listing every file in that char.lgp so I can fix it nice and quick. If there's a security issue with the patch not being able to access program files then try running it as administrator or copy-pasting the field folder to the desktop, patching it there, and then copy-pasting it back into the FF7 data folder (make sure to back everything up before modding, though).

This is the first mod (if you can call it that) I've uploaded but I've got a few bigger projects in the works. If I did anything wrong, then let me know.

--- End quote ---
You are my hero! I will try it out right now!
I'll let you know if it works, this is the first mod I've installed...

EDIT: Aw man, it keeps telling me the program's folder doesn't have any files to update, do you know what that means?

Sega Chief:
I was afraid that might happen. Are you using FF7 through Steam or the PC re-release? If so, have a read of this first: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14408.0

There was a tool kicking around to convert the PC re-release into the 'old' 1998 version but I'm not sure how functional that tool was or if it'd even be compatible with the Steam release at all (there're three versions; the original 1998, the re-release that came out on the Square-Enix store, and now this Steam version).

You might want to try running Bootleg to convert the game into the 'old' version (which makes it compatible with most mods). It's a hefty download, and you'll lose Cloud saves (the game's saves take up next to nothing in space) and 'achievements' (if they can be called that) but the game will become compatible with mods. Hopefully. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

I saw later on this Bootleg thread, on p43, that it might be necessary to relocate your Steam files for the Bootleg install to D:\Games\Steam but that it might be possible to just put the FF7 folder in D:\Games instead (rather than moving the entire Steam directory) and then directing the bootleg installer at that instead.

You could maybe try taking the field folder out of the Steam FF7 Data folder, putting it on the desktop, patching it there, and then putting it back in but I doubt it'd work. Also, make sure to run the patch with administrator privileges; if it doesn't have that, it'll likely be blocked because it's trying to make changes to files inside Program folders.

skull-boy666:

--- Quote from: Sega Chief on 2013-07-11 00:47:29 ---I was afraid that might happen. Are you using FF7 through Steam or the PC re-release? If so, have a read of this first: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14408.0

There was a tool kicking around to convert the PC re-release into the 'old' 1998 version but I'm not sure how functional that tool was or if it'd even be compatible with the Steam release at all (there're three versions; the original 1998, the re-release that came out on the Square-Enix store, and now this Steam version).

I saw on the Bootleg thread that a potential fix might be to make a new folder on the D:\ drive and call it Games, with a folder inside called Steam (so 'D:\Games\Steam') and then copy-paste all the FF7 files into there before patching them. Not sure if that'd work, though; it's probably gonna take a week or so before everything gets figured out but give it a try. And remember to give the patch administrator privileges if it doesn't already; anything that tries to alter a file in Program Files needs permission otherwise it gets blocked.

--- End quote ---

Damn, I didn't know about any of this before buying it, I should've just gotten the physical version like I planned to before this release. Oh well, I'll try some more stuff, but I'm guessing it's smart to just wait to see how things progress. I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Sega Chief:
I just edited my last post with some suggestions and I revised what I was saying about the Bootleg. I'm going to have my friend try out the patch as well just to make sure it's working properly. I downloaded a copy of it and used it myself but it might have retained some settings or permissions or something. Hope it works out in the end.

Template:

--- Quote from: Sega Chief on 2013-07-10 21:21:33 ---Hi all, here's a patch I put together that'll remove all those gaping NPC mouth textures. It basically replaces all of the mouth textures with a 'blank' one that makes them look like they did on the PSX. Just tested it, and seems to have worked. Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nh088mjhvmfxqx7
--- End quote ---
Gonna test this rq on a new Steam build. Brilliant stuff, Chief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version