Author Topic: couldn't open movie file  (Read 3774 times)

ballacaust

• View Profile
couldn't open movie file
« on: 2016-07-05 21:50:18 »
At my wit's end here....

Game has been running perfectly all the way up to this point. I'm on the last huge material quest on disc 2, onboard the rocket. As soon as it blasts off I get a movie error: "[00002306] : [00002306] : couldn't open movie file: C:\FF7\data\movies\rcketoff.avi" <---taken directly from app.log. I have yet to encounter a single movie error. I figured this was a fluke and proceeded with the game until, guess what, the VERY next one, entitled "rckethit1.avi" does the same shit.  I'm using 7th heaven with media - movies mod, currently with the drlilo chibi fmv replacement selected. Like I said, zero problems until now. And yes, I've already tried all the others from the dropdown list. It fails every time, and only at this spot. I'm assuming I need to have FF7DISC2.iso mounted before launching the game correct? I do, just as I did with disc1, and disc1 never had a single problem. I see no point in continuing the game if no more movies will play. Someone please help me get this sorted out.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
Re: couldn't open movie file
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-06 01:55:46 »
Have you gone to the folder you named and checked if the movie its complaining about is there?

ballacaust

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-06 13:03:15 »
Actually, what is odd about that folder -- I'm assuming you're referring to the data/movies folder right? It's empty. It always was empty. I'm GUESSING that the mod manager, when you download the movie mod that's like 5 gigs in size, it puts said mod in the 7th heaven folder as an .iro file which the game then references for the movies as well as any other mods during play. Like I said, the movies have always played fine. I got it working again btw; I just deactivated / reactivated the movies mod and selected cmh175's remastered FMV...now the ones that were missing are playing just fine. I can only assume that the other selections either are not complete or are broken.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-06 13:35:31 »
Well if ya wanna check it when the game is running minimize it and see if the movies are in that folder. Yeah I meant the movies folder. You could always open the iron with 7H in the file-iro manager thingy. Not sure what its actually called. But what f it works the way you have it now then fair enough

ballacaust

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-08 15:08:47 »
I see what the problem is now. The mods are incomplete. After unpacking the movie .iro, I saw that a few of the included mods were actually missing movie files. One of them was even missing all three ending movies! That's piss poor work imo...the crappy thing is the only way to figure this out is to wait until you get to a movie sequence in game that doesn't play, at which point you have to exit and switch to another mod in hopes that the correct file is actually there, or unpack the .iro and see which ones are actually missing. Maybe the mod authors should perhaps finish the work before actually sharing/releasing it.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-08 19:18:57 »
What you could do is make your own. If you learn how yo mod is written with the mod.XML inside the iro. You can fix it yourself. I get that modders may forget things and make mistakes. But I think the reason I'm the only one helping you here may be that the way you word your comments might come across offensive to them so they won't help. Just a little advice for the future. Be thankfully for what we do have rather than annoyed at what we don't. Than you'll get good answers from the people that actually make them