Author Topic: [FF7PC] Red Werewolf  (Read 210302 times)

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: [REL] Red Werewolf
« Reply #425 on: 2014-08-25 13:37:27 »
I configured the limits with Wallmarket. This could have been done sooner, but I was having trouble exporting the kernel file in a way the game could actually read it. Doesn't seem to work that way. They need to actually be tested to confirm everything works but I don't think it'll be an issue. Mainly just waiting on the field model files for the animations now.

Leet

• Active member at other FF7 modding site - PM me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2014-08-25 15:06:52 »
This is moving along nicely i see. Cant wait until this is completed.

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 2014-08-25 16:12:03 »
Ok everyone!! It's done! And tested. Seems perfect. Oh god finally. Lol. The battle model is done. I updated the link on pg1. The kernel and avatar is also in the zip. Kernel is need for the corrections to the limit breaks. The avatar is a replacement for red xiii. Let me know what you think. I really want serious criticism. I can take neg crit. We are still working on the field conversion but this is my first complete mod. I am very proud.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #428 on: 2014-08-25 17:36:09 »
What are you using to break apart and put together your kernel files? Because it updates the kernel, there is going to be some compatibility issues with the difficulty and story mods in the 7th Heaven catalog at first. I'll have to do a lot of patching to get everything compatible, which is just a matter of time. My summer is ending next week and back to teaching, so it'll take a bit longer to figure things out.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 2014-08-25 17:45:42 »
It's the whole kernel folder. I have no idea how kernel patches work or anything and no one said anything about it. I literally just changed Red XIII's limits though, otherwise it's default. So it would be a small file if I can export it.

If anyone knows how that works I can just export a patch file to simplify compatibility.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-25 18:16:57 by cmh175 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 2014-08-25 23:43:49 »
I had once the idea to use a tool which compares two files which each other (for the flevel.lgp) but it didn't work as I hoped it would.
http://sourceforge.net/p/winmerge/news/2013/02/winmerge-2140-stable-released/
Maybe it works better with the kernels because they are in the bin format. You could also ask the Dark Penguin Lord of the Sith, if he knows a good program for this undertaking.  ;)

May the Ubuntu strong in you

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 2014-08-26 00:05:54 »
I had once the idea to use a tool which compares two files which each other (for the flevel.lgp) but it didn't work as I hoped it would.
http://sourceforge.net/p/winmerge/news/2013/02/winmerge-2140-stable-released/
Maybe it works better with the kernels because they are in the bin format. You could also ask the Dark Penguin Lord of the Sith, if he knows a good program for this undertaking.  ;)

May the Ubuntu strong in you

lol thanks Kaldarasha. It's definitely worth checking out so the model is easier to use with gameplay mods.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2014-08-26 05:07:34 »
I agree. Sorry I couldn't get anything done tonight. Comcast just sent an email stating the outage has been resolved and I will have internet back in the morning. So I'll be able to go full boar tomorrow night.

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2014-08-26 12:21:58 »
cmh175>

You wasnt forced to modify the kernel, the easier and faster way, was to edit with LIBRE, and  modify the 7 red13 limits break so they match with beast flare values, i cant do it since for PC its seems that they need "ff7.exe" to open libre with, while on PSX its a file named limit mnu.

The best solution will be to give him

Limit 1> beast flare

Limit2>livewire

Limit3>nightmare

Limit4>satan slam (make the game freeze on PSX after the second part of the spell)

What change the limits visual is the " animation id ( or effect i dont remember)", i cant give you these " id" because im sure they are not the same on PSX and PC, but to figure out this just take a look with libre on beast flare limit break, look his ID , and just copy this value in " sled fang " animation id, etc.

Ofc you can just edit the kernek and swap sled fang with beast flare, but i never did it this way, i think beast flare is not powerful as a real limits break, and the camera  is fix, unlike other limits break, thats why the better way is to just modify the visual.And with this method the kernel is intouched.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 2014-08-26 13:10:50 »
I like that idea, I'll give this a try later. When I'm done what file is actually altered than?

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2014-08-26 14:51:04 »
For PSX this is a .MNU file, look like its doesnt exist for PC and they ask for FF7.EXE instead, i dont know what they exactly modify since i never used it for this version

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 2014-08-26 14:51:48 »
cmh175>
And with this method the kernel is intouched.

But this means that he will create another FF7.exe. But if he can extract the changed hex code and make a hext.txt file for DLPB's launcher then it would be the best way.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2014-08-26 17:29:19 »
But this means that he will create another FF7.exe. But if he can extract the changed hex code and make a hext.txt file for DLPB's launcher then it would be the best way.

aaaand now I'm lost lol. I know more about modeling, I'm not much of a programmer. This sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure how to extract ff7.exe and make a hext.txt file.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 2014-08-26 17:38:27 »
I'm not bad at programming. I will give this all a look tonight. This ff7 programming is it's own beast entirely. I've never really looked at game programming but I do understand what Jeet and kaldarsha are saying.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2014-08-26 17:53:50 »
aaaand now I'm lost lol. I know more about modeling, I'm not much of a programmer. This sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure how to extract ff7.exe and make a hext.txt file.

Libre makes changes to the exe. Basically you need to track down the offset values were different code is present. So you will write in the text file for the Hext_Launcher the offset(s) and the hex code which it should replace there.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2014-08-26 18:03:09 »

Libre makes changes to the exe. Basically you need to track down the offset values were different code is present. So you will write in the text file for the Hext_Launcher the offset(s) and the hex code which it should replace there.

If we can get the offset values to you would you have any free time to write the text file?

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 2014-08-26 22:47:50 »
So leet made an awesome point. Why don't I just use my animations for red werewolf and keep the original limits.
The scripts that RedXIII uses for all 7 of his Limits is only 4 animations.
Lvl 1 -
-sled fange - run on all 4's (got it)
- lunatic high - howl w/ sound (got it and might be able to look at this for understanding how to make him howl on all howl animations)

Lvl 2 -
-blood fang - run on all 4's (got it)
- stardust ray - howl (got it)

Lvl 3 -
-howling moon - jump howl (minor tweak)
- earth rave - 5 attacks (could just use the regular attack)

Lvl 4 -
-Cosmo memory - howl (got it)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 2014-08-26 22:56:30 »
I'm pretty sure the Galian Beast's skeleton structure isn't going to like using Red XIII's limit breaks. 

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2014-08-26 23:15:58 »
I'm pretty sure the Galian Beast's skeleton structure isn't going to like using Red XIII's limit breaks.

Exactly. Ok, so I can alter the ff7.exe to do the limits, and we have a nice long list of compatible ones, but I'll need help exporting them. I either need documentation on how to do this (even just something put together really quick) or I can pm the new .exe to someone who knows how to do it and volunteers.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2014-08-26 23:40:28 »
Maybe you need something like this?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hexcompare/

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2014-08-27 23:11:54 »
I got the limits done with Libre but I cant save the changes. I made a copy of ff7.exe to my desktop and opened that with the tool. I replaced the limits breaks not compatible with the new skeletons, and then hit patch ff7.exe in the file options. It doesn't do anything. How do I save my settings?

~Ok so apprently it wont save to a back up of the .exe, but it will save to the one in my game install. So it maybe done, I'll test the changed limits. Question though, what does this effect when I hit save? I have a back up of my ff7.exe, but does it alter anything else for the pc game? Can I just replace my .exe with the backup, or am I going to need to reinstall my game after this?
« Last Edit: 2014-08-27 23:33:16 by cmh175 »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 2014-08-28 00:21:23 »
I tested the limit breaks and found a few issues. First the model's size is way off. He is shoulder height with Cloud, and almost half of Vincents height. I did resize bones, but not nearly enough for that and the pieces were within the same size as the originals. I even enlarged the model 15% already. Does the model need to be enlarged again or can something else effect the models size in game? Secondly the animations need more work. I didn't check all of them but in the idle it looks like he's floating, his feet keep rising of the ground, and in the running he's about a foot of the ground. So those all need a quick look through for adjustments. The worst of it though is my altered ff7.exe crashed the game. I finally built up his limit break to test the replaced sled fang (I swapped it for Berserker Dance) and the game froze when I used it. Now if it matters, when I altered the limits I changed the animation id, and the camera options too. I figured they should match the limit being used right? I didn't test the other limit I swapped for Live Wire yet, but Berserker Dance should have worked since it belongs with the Galian Beast.

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2014-08-28 01:17:42 »
This is just driving me nuts. I tried what I could figure out. It didn't work on my end either. I know that there are people in this forum that knows how to help us get this figured out. I think I'm going to take a break and do some other modeling and come back to this when someone can give us a direct method to fix this final issue. Tweaks I can handle no problem but this is seriously the final hurdle and we just can't figure it out. If anyone can please just throw together a tut well do all the work. Just need guidance.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-28 02:10:11 by WolfMan »

Jeet

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2014-08-28 13:32:04 »
Thats why i said " use only projectile limits break "

Like beast flare, liveware, nightmare etc,

You must know when red13 use sled fang, his animation is unique, just like the fire effect around him when he run very fast, it mean if you use the runing animation of galian beast the fire effect WONT follow the galian beast but the red 13' original speed animation, to summarize , its uncompatible.

Why use berserk dance in the first place as a limits break? berserk dance is his " attack" animation, if you want to give him this as a limits break its no sense, its will just be the same as his physical attack, so just try with  beast flare for begin with. I used this for my mod and its works perfectly, i would say thats the easiest part of a mod, changing the limits break, because everything is automatic with the libre.exe

Just copy every values, ( exept the camera ) into sled fang and patch it. I never tested it for PC but this program works fine on PSX. The crash occurs when you use the limits break or at the begining of the battle?

WolfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2014-08-28 13:36:50 »
Crash happens when using limit breaks. Here's the big question Jeet. After getting the limits setup, how do we share this mod. We have all 26 character files rw** and we have the avatar. Once the limits are correctly configured how do we share that aspect with the community in the easiest way possible. Keep in mind I don't want to interfere with other mod installations.