Final Fantasy 8 > Releases

[FF8PC-Steam] Ragnarok Rebalancing Mod (v1.2.3 & v1.1b)

<< < (139/160) > >>

Tingcos:
@Callisto Rank 1 Seed back at it again with Lionheart difficulty. I'm playing off stream this time.
I know you've balanced the game for it but I'm doing this with no card mod for extra challenge.

So far I'm having a blast, Just wrapped up disc 1 last night and felt pretty good about the scaling throughout. I didn't go out of my way to grind large amounts of exp but did find myself tacking a few extra fights in areas to draw new magic or get a few gf abilities that are close to leveling.

I really like how you've paced magic out. Every enemy I have found so far has been exciting to see what new magic they have and the stat progression is enough of an upgrade to be meaningful without blowing the game wide open.

The boss fights have been great, I love how you added extra depth and strategy rather than bonking with limit breaks (though one particular limit break stands out)

Xatm: I went for the 50ap boss reward because I wanted to challenge myself and he was rough. Huge physical AOE and ray bomb make it almost impossible as a sustain fight.
I did manage to win but was disappointed that there were no additional rewards for such a challenging early battle.
I found salvation in Selphies Slots, landing spells like meteor x3, holy x2, meltdown x2 and Flare x1. Her limit break does and continues to do a ridiculous amount of damage for most of disc 1.

I never really considered using Selphie in a regular playthrough but they pay off for a good slots is so huge that I found myself leaning on her as the spellcaster/ Slots wildcard and used the other two party members as support casters (to buy time to roll slots safely). She has been a may stay in the party since and probably my favourite character so far.

Granaldo: What a fight, I died several times figuring out what to do.
I made the rookie mistake of killing the Raldo asap and had to deal with the ff8 equivalent of a raging wasp. I could not survive the agro magic/phys mix of the angry bee but by keeping one Raldo alive and blind, the match was much more managable. Fantastic idea for rewarding damage control.

Diablos: So I learnt early not to use draw against him, being punished with stop is rough. A good way of restricting Demi draws while still having it available.
Over all great fight, again leaned hard on Selphies limit breaks for big damage.

President: This guy was a push over, I think he needs more hp or more threatening damage/ a gimmick like zombie chance on hit.

Brothers: I seriously considered doing this at a later point in the game because it was so hard.
Being pelted by large phys/magic damage made protect and shell a tall order to keep up, especially with the mad cow special that does about 70% at my current stats. I opted to start the fight with Selphie on low and try my hand at some big rerolls. after a few retries I had a good start with 3x tornado for 2.5k a piece into a calamity for 17k, suffice to say that was a satisfying wipe.

Seifer/Edea: Either I'm a better player this time round or these two were a lot easier to handle this time round
Seifer I can understand because its a 1v1, its hard to make it challenging but also not be a complete cockblock as there is a point of no return save just before him.
Edea: Rinoa was on double healing duties, Irvine was back up healer and Squall was big boi renzokuken dps. I used the lack of AoE killing spells to keep everyone up, esunaed and healthy enough to tank the spells. She has a great mix of spells/status effects to keep a player on their toes, would probably have gone differently if I didn't have doubles.

Thank you for fixing the issues with the recent patch. I was really excited to play it after seeing lionheart mode being implemented last year but unfortunately the steam client got borked by windows 10.
This is by far one of my favorite game mods and you truly elevate this game to another level with these changes.

I'm looking forward to disc 2!

PublicWiFi:
This mod is great so far, I'm just having some trouble finding a good spot to level before the 2x Iguion during the assassination arc in disc 1.
All of my known spots are nerfed (like using zombie on Vysage and nuking them with phoenix down).

I get wrecked by the Iguion's and I think its because Irvine is just too low level. I've been grinding outside of the city but its been slow going.

Anyone know of a better place to grind a few levels?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just junctioned fire/fira to elm-def and it was a lot easier lol

levantine:
Hello Calisto,I find a bug in your mod.
During cd2 in the prison when Irvine apear with master class to shot galbadian soldier (just before rinoa kick her ass lol), during this animation, Irvine haw no head, and just after game crash.
I manage to passed this by uninstal the mod, pass this sequence, and them re instal the mod (no conflict with geforce ability by done this).

Tingcos:
Rank 1 Seed reporting in again,

Disc 2 is finally complete, I try to avoid grinding where I can but jeez these fights have been pretty tough.
I had to go out of my way and level up/ accrue magic to deal with some of them.

Overall Selphie is proving to be far too inconsistent and has been replaced by Rinoa, I think this is where her slots starts to roll worse magic than the start of the game so :(.
Oh well, Rinoa has a stronger magic stat and wild card Angelo assist which is proving more useful than I thought.
Quistis fits in the support role, Matra magic has been extremely useful on more occasions than I expected.
Zell feels pretty much useless and Irvine is only a slight upgrade to him(curse ammo is somewhat useful in regular fights), I think at this stage my preference is leaning toward heavy magic use like my first playthrough on standard.

I am having a hard time against regular foes, so much so that I cant even sit and draw to 100 especially with anyone other than Rinoa (due to high magic stat).
Regularly using life/Phoenix downs in-between and during fights because theres just soo much damage being chugged out all the time.
Not complaining mind you, just didn't expect this much resistance.

District Prison boss - Oh boy 4 enemies, usually 3+ enemies is enough to team wipe with bad turn usage.
If a GIM52A gets an aura stone, its GG unless you've downed a few enemies or have protection active.
I found for the first time I had to use GF summons for extra HP and aoe damage.
Once the Biggs are down, the robots are no issue but getting over that initial hump is tricky.

BGH521F2 - Easiest fight of my life, Selphie + Quistis double water spam. I cant even remember if it had any damaging attacks.

Oilboyle - Just like the original, classic Fire weakness. Gets cooked fairly easily.

NORG - Eye opener of a boss. If you run in expecting to just roll face, you are in for a crude awakening.
Letting the orbs go to red is a death sentence, the magic spam was unhealable for my party.
Zell and Squall on eye watch duty while Rinoa starts double pumping the Def with Shell/haste.
Once ready to roll open the shell and blast him with bio. Poison is really important for this fight and I learnt status effects on bosses are going to be a big deal where applicable in future.
This took me a ton of retries to finally beat but man was it satisfying.

BGH521F2 rematch - Stay alive. I learnt the hard way in standard last year that this guy hits very hard very early but has a gimmick where he tapers off after x turns.
Priority set to defence with shell/protect and constant healing. I noticed that defend ability was moved to Alexander so its not possible to use that this time round.

Raijin/Fujin - Another wall off a boss and sadly I hadn't trained enough to compete on even footing. Additionally I had saved in zells house so any chance to train was out the window.
Fortunately I had Selphie in the party which means I can take advantage of Raijin not attacking women (sometimes anyway)
First Raijin fight was a bit tricky but straight forward, He hits like a truck and the soldiers are no joke either. I had to lean on using Doom to time them out because my damage was so low.
Second fight was mainly about preparing Selphie for a solo fight against Fujin. Raijin in this fight is merciless with the damage, learning a new combo that instakills without protect.
Fujin has a decent mix of attacks and spells, one that even reduces the enemy to 1 HP. A cheeky tactic is to reflect Raijin and catch some of Fujins Shell/protect buffs.
Probably my hardest fight to date, even when Fujin is eventually downed Raijin decides he CAN hit woman now and I did get game overed by a cheeky 1800 melee hit.

Seifer / Edea - Oh god. This was a nightmare.
I thought the last fight was rough, this takes the cake. Seifer always starts the fight with a huge melee swing at Squall which is mostly always followed by Edea Maelstrom when she gets ATB. That combo alone had me see the game over screen several times before I got to play.
I learnt fast that I need aoe healing or this is impossible at my level, fortunately Leviathan has some interesting abilities.
TIL of the power of "item" and Med data. Remedy+ is the perfect counter for maelstrom and med data mega-potion healing for 3k to the party is insane.
With healing out of the way and some focus fire onto Seifer, Edea wasn't too bad solo. Almost forgot to draw Alexander in my excitement.

I really enjoyed the fights in this disc. I have had to junction and leverage a ton of abilities and strats I wouldn't normally have employed. Counter-picking ailments and elements has never been more important for me than in this current run.

Chur chur and I'll report back at the end of disc 3

teichmann:
Hi guys, i have a question, if i use the ragnarok lionheart mode, i can use magic booster option from ff8 steam? I'm late game and it's boring draw magic to take 100 of all magic. I thinking use the magic booster to stay 100 of all magics i have in game, i can do this or the mod is down if a use the option?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version