Author Topic: Further polishing the FF7 cinematics  (Read 5932 times)

skyhawk

• View Profile
Further polishing the FF7 cinematics
« on: 2020-02-20 09:00:06 »
With the various upscaler efforts, I think the FF7 cinematics are looking about as good as they possibly can without being re-rendered from the actual original sources.

But they're still low framerate, and that sometimes really shows. Right at the very start of the game, the stars look awful as they judder around at 15 fps.

I know Aali's driver uses ffmpeg for playback, there's probably no decoder limitation preventing 30fps (or more?) interpolated cinematics, but there may be other obstacles or even a hard-coded playback framerate within ff7 itself.

Are high-frame-rate cinematics impossible, or just difficult to implement? Some cinematics have field elements layered on top, I could see those being a problem if they're coded per-frame rather than per-timestamp.

Fewtch

• All good things in time
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: Further polishing the FF7 cinematics
« Reply #1 on: 2020-02-20 11:21:57 »
If I remember correctly, the opening cinematic has to be 15fps or the bombing run music will be out of sync but its possible I may be mistaken about this and its simply something that can be changed if you know how

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2020-02-20 21:03:47 »
If I remember correctly, the opening cinematic has to be 15fps or the bombing run music will be out of sync but its possible I may be mistaken about this and its simply something that can be changed if you know how
The field that runs the cinematic assumes 15fps. It can be changed easily enough to wait for twice as many frames before bring the music and characters up.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-02-20 21:51:08 »
it will be out of sync since it's hard coded to play on a certain frame.  It's easy to alter with hex editing. Oh NFITC1 mentioned it.