Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]  (Read 761096 times)

Red46

• View Profile
Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]
« Reply #450 on: 2009-06-02 14:15:04 »
Thanks Aali, your latest driver fixed my movie problem. Thanks a lot for looking into it even tho I was the only one that experienced such a problem.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 2009-06-02 14:35:41 »
Here it is http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H0TZL6QL

and here's my new settings I removed the commented ones

vert_source = shaders/main.vert
frag_source = shaders/main.frag

post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = false

window_size_x = 1280
window_size_y = 960
preserve_aspect = true
fullscreen = true

prevent_rounding_errors = true

internal_size_x = 0
internal_size_y = 0

enable_vsync = false

minigame_framelimiter = true

battleswirl_framelimiter = false

crash_fixes = true

linear_filter = false

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 2009-06-02 14:57:05 »
Nothing going wrong there.. what are your hardware specs?

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: 2009-06-02 15:00:45 »
Pentium 4 2.40GHz 512 MB RAM
GeForce FX5500 256MB

My problem is that it slows and lags a bit.

But when I use saint's it doesn't lag even a bit.

What I love about yours is that it doesn't black out after the opening and the sound continues. Though the opening sound lags though and I think it repeats.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 2009-06-02 15:14:32 »
That graphics card is a bit on the old side, I'm surprised it can do OpenGL 2.0.

Try renaming the shaders dir or change the config so the files cannot be found, you'll get a warning message and then it will fall back the OpenGL 1.1 backend, that should move most of the workload to the CPU.
Not a good permanent solution but if this helps I'll know what to do for the next release.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: 2009-06-02 15:35:17 »
Thanks it worked. But the game gave me an error but it worked and didn't lag anymore but the opening video lags when the sound gets sharp when it shows the Train's wheels and repeats the opening music. It used to work well. Help me fix this please :-D

I also noticed that it is somewhat using its own codec. I removed tm20dex.ax but it still worked. The game used to close when the codec is not installed.

I renamed the shader so it won't be read right?

I don't mind losing some added graphics. But it seems like a dirty fix.

Will you be providing a proper fix for us with lowend system like me? It really doesn't need to be very very beautiful just high res.

I don't really know the details about this graphics stuff, but does renaming or deleting the shader make it function like The Saint's?

Coz I'm content if it just looks like The Saint's coz I really like that yours doesn't Turn the lights off and some other fixes.

I kinda don't understand some of the commented text, does the resolution really need to be multiple of 640x480? or as long it is a multiple of 8x6? Coz I also plan on using my brother's laptop since it doesn't have exact resolutions that fit a multiple of 640x480.

Sorry for posting the long post. I hope this is OK. I hope it helps you on improving your app. Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-02 15:52:54 by moses7 »

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 2009-06-02 16:08:36 »
That graphics card is a bit on the old side, I'm surprised it can do OpenGL 2.0.

Try renaming the shaders dir or change the config so the files cannot be found, you'll get a warning message and then it will fall back the OpenGL 1.1 backend, that should move most of the workload to the CPU.
Not a good permanent solution but if this helps I'll know what to do for the next release.

Is that the only way to force the OGL 1.1 backend on, or will it default to it if it notices the card can't do shaders (like mine?)  'Cause I'd been thinking about removing the shader lines in the config, but I thought the "enable postprocessing = false" line had it fall back to OGL 1.1 also.

terminater27

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 2009-06-02 16:48:53 »
The thing is, it works fine, and the drivers load when its not plugged into the TV. Is there any way to fix it?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 2009-06-02 17:00:22 »
Is that the only way to force the OGL 1.1 backend on, or will it default to it if it notices the card can't do shaders (like mine?)  'Cause I'd been thinking about removing the shader lines in the config, but I thought the "enable postprocessing = false" line had it fall back to OGL 1.1 also.

If you don't have OpenGL 2.0 support it will fall back to 1.1 of course, but there is currently no config option that will force it do so if you do have support for it.
Postprocessing doesn't really have anything to do with it, if shaders are available they will be used for everything.

terminater27: If the driver doesn't load, there's nothing I can do. Only thing I can think of is that the drivers for your graphics card refuse to load OpenGL while you're on the TV.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #459 on: 2009-06-02 18:24:48 »
idk if i did this right... but i got the driver and i put the whole thing into my folder and when i merge the 64-bitvista file (i have 64-bit vista OS).. i run the ff7.exe and it says that it stopped working... i no im being all newbie at this but did i do it right?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 2009-06-02 19:03:40 »
idk if i did this right... but i got the driver and i put the whole thing into my folder and when i merge the 64-bitvista file (i have 64-bit vista OS).. i run the ff7.exe and it says that it stopped working... i no im being all newbie at this but did i do it right?

You had it working before, didn't you? Does this only happen with the latest version?
Can you post the contents of APP.LOG?

Idec Sdawkminn

• -im the real idec (REALLY)-
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #461 on: 2009-06-02 19:50:12 »
I just realized the bloom shader was turned off. I thought it had been on. I tried it. Man, that thing looks weird!

You said the shaders designed for ePSXe could work with this. I looked at the Natural Vision Shader and it has 4 files. They end in .FP .SLF .SLV and .VP. The ones you have end in .FRAG .POST and .VERT. I could assume that the .FP would correspond with .FRAG and .VP would correspond with .VERT, but .SLF could also correspond with .FRAG and the same with .SLV and .VERT.

What would I need to change in ff7_opengl.cfg to make it use this shader?
« Last Edit: 2009-06-02 20:34:52 by Idec Sdawkminn »

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #462 on: 2009-06-02 21:03:03 »
actually i reinstalled the whole game and only used the latest driver... and um how do i send the app?

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #463 on: 2009-06-02 21:58:03 »
'kay Aali it was MY fault xD

Yes it was the sound driver- I don't know why, but when I added your registry-key- my sound reg-key has been deleted^^

So, it's working now and it's awesome- thank you man :D

This mod is much better than the High-Res Patch! It's awesome too, but this is unbelievable!

No big bugs, errors, failures and you're working on it hardly!

Nice Job man,

Deniz

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: 2009-06-02 22:02:18 »
I just realized the bloom shader was turned off. I thought it had been on. I tried it. Man, that thing looks weird!

You said the shaders designed for ePSXe could work with this. I looked at the Natural Vision Shader and it has 4 files. They end in .FP .SLF .SLV and .VP. The ones you have end in .FRAG .POST and .VERT. I could assume that the .FP would correspond with .FRAG and .VP would correspond with .VERT, but .SLF could also correspond with .FRAG and the same with .SLV and .VERT.

What would I need to change in ff7_opengl.cfg to make it use this shader?

They can work, but you need to make some changes to the code. Only GLSL shaders will work and you need to have some experience with the language to make the necessary changes.

drfeelgud88: use any free upload site, or put it on a pastebin and post the link here.

Idec Sdawkminn

• -im the real idec (REALLY)-
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #465 on: 2009-06-03 00:53:23 »
One thing I noticed that I really like about this mod is that when you fight Emerald Weapon, his emeralds are visible. I had to use Software Rendering to make them show up before.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 2009-06-03 01:44:36 »
Yes, the D3D driver is a pretty poor approximation of what FF7 needs to look right, I often double-check my results against the software driver since it's usually more correct.

I have a lot of things in the pipeline for 0.7 that I want to implement that will make this driver stand on it's own feet instead of trying to emulate the D3D driver. This should improve performance and will also make it easier for me to extend it with new features.

Owners of the PSX version, feel free to point out anything that was lost in the PC conversion that could possibly be re-implemented/fixed.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 2009-06-03 02:25:29 »
Even when it doesn't lag when shaders is deleted. There's a part of the opening video that is messed up but not messed up when I play it on the media player.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: 2009-06-03 02:49:27 »
What part? How is it messed up?
You have to be more specific, I can't fix it if I don't know whats going on.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 2009-06-03 03:15:09 »
Here's proof. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6N3NYZDF

It's silent at first then you will hear the error sound for renaming the shaders. Then Eidos logo. Then I start a new game.

On 1:30 the sound start to get messed up. Notice at 2:00 it repeats the sound not from beginning though instead of finishing the whole sound then Jessie start beating up guards.

My guess is that it's from your video player since yours doesn't use the tm20dec.ax codec. Maybe you haven't tested it for a lengthy video. Just my thought
« Last Edit: 2009-06-03 03:18:21 by moses7 »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: 2009-06-03 04:05:05 »
You don't think I've tested the opening video? :-P

Anyways, if it's just audio, that's a known problem. Your computer is too slow to keep up and that makes the audio lag behind until eventually you hit the end of the audio buffer and it loops some old samples.

It can be fixed but it's a lot of work for no benefit to people who have fast enough computers.

Not much can be done about the speed of the movie player unless someone overhauls the codec in ffmpeg, and since TM2.0 is such an obscure format, that's not very likely to happen.

In short, you're out of luck, for now.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 2009-06-03 04:12:38 »
Sorry for that.

But the videos work well outside of the game. Will you be providing fix for OpenGl1.1 without error?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 2009-06-03 04:28:27 »
Aali, I really must know...
What is your vision for a 1.0 release of the driver?  What I mean is, what are you hoping you can accomplish to be able to say this driver is complete?

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 2009-06-03 05:57:49 »
Had anyone tried to run at 1024x768? The battle won't start if I the resolution 1024x768 both with shaders and without. It hangs right before the battle swirl not actually hang but lag so much that it won't finish the swirl. But works at 1280x960.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: 2009-06-03 08:50:40 »
so far i am loving your custom driver, but was wondering if it would be possible for you to add custom fps limits for the game as a whole, as in allowing someone to play at double speed if they wanted to? and if you could, would you also be able to implement an ingame on/off switch, such as one of the fxx numbers (like f12 for example), so that you could turn it on and off at will (such as turning it on for level/item farming, off for minigames/big boss battles, etc.). sort of adding another config option, 0 (auto) as default, which when changed and f12 (or whatever) is pressed ingame, the custom limit is used instead.

if it had savestate functionality and custom fps, i think it would become superior to the psx emulated version (at least when everything is made to look better, and pc version bugs fixed). but then again, i love savestates :-P. the only one you could probably easily do is the custom fps, since you already added minigame limiting, and thats all i ask for >:D.