Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]  (Read 761251 times)

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]
« Reply #1325 on: 2009-09-08 17:53:49 »
Nice answer ;)

Aali, your Driver is so fu**ing awesome xD

Here 4 Videos of your awesome working driver :D

2 in Field, 2 in Battle:

Final Fantasy VII- Field Modtest 1:

Final Fantasy VII- Field Modtest 2:

Final Fantasy VII- Battle Modtest 1

Final Fantasy VII- Battle Modtest 2

Using:
* Final Fantasy VII 1.02 GER
* Aali's Custom Driver v0.7.1b (Released)
* NPC Reconstruction Models (Released)
* Advent Children Mod (No official Release)
* FiceMusic v1.51(Released)
* FinalFanTim's Remastered OST (Released)
* YAMP (Released)

Many, many thanks again!

- Deniz

EDIT: Oh, don't forget enjoying YouTube HD :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: 2009-09-08 18:16:35 »
For a second I thought you'd figured out a way to embed YouTube videos into your post :-P

But sadly it wasn't to be :oops:

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: 2009-09-09 03:37:19 »
I am having difficulties getting this thing to work properly.

I have installed (multiple times now)

ff7
patch 1.02
opengl

I can get the game to work just fine (at least from what ive seen with limited testing)
But I dont think im getting the hi res effects.

When i installed, the game normal animated movie played, and then at the trainstation the backgrounds are all kinds of messed up. looking kind of postured kind of like a negative with completely incorrect color placement (mostly looking dark or reversed) yet the characters look normal, the battles look normal, and from what little the played, the movies seem to be working fine.

After this i went into the config and changed it to nvidia tnt, and then that fixed the background problem, but the game looks just like it did on my ps1 in 97.

Is there something I am missing?

I have this on ps1, as well as no shortage of emulators, but I want to be able to play it with battle character models etc.

My pc is a dell optiplex
Pentium 4 2.8 ghz
2 gigs ram
Nvidia 6200 video card
with Windows Xp (32 bit i think)
Also, my display is a television not a monitor, but i still want what i can get, cause i plan to change it to a lcd tv later.

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: 2009-09-09 03:55:00 »
changing the ffvii config made it so that the new driver doesn't see it (the ffvii default driver took control), so IIRC you have to re-merge the registry data supplied with aali's driver so that it takes control again.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: 2009-09-09 04:02:57 »
i understand that the custom driver isn't working anymore, but that isn't really an issue to me because i figured i would just reinstall again if i was going to give it another try.

It didn't work the first time as I said.

it displayed background colors very wrong.

So i assume the driver was technically running then (before i adjusted the config) but it wasnt working properly for me.

Any idea why?

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: 2009-09-09 05:03:16 »
If you'd put up a screenshot that shows the bad colors you're talking about, you might get a better response.
Have you tried upgrading your graphics drivers?

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: 2009-09-09 07:44:20 »
Upgrade you nvidia card first... is your PC an old one or Brand new?

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #1332 on: 2009-09-09 09:46:12 »
Hey Aali!

It's me again ;)
So, I released your Driver for FF8 in the Forum too- to help you ;)

But I think it doesn't support the German 1.2 version?

Can you add this feature in your next release or re-release v0.2a with added German-Non-Geforce Support ;)

Thanks again :)

- Deniz

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: 2009-09-09 12:23:58 »
If you provide the german .exe's I can support it.
However, there will be no new FF8 release until the "stretching problem" has been resolved.. and that could take a while, seeing as I don't have much time to work on this right now.

So, please upload the german .exe's somewhere but don't expect any immediate results.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: 2009-09-09 12:51:43 »
if you mean buy a newer video card, thats a no go for now.   What I have is a dedicated gaming pc on a budget.  I need  dual core, more hd space, and a better video card.  Not to mention an LCD tv display, but i cant afford any of those at the moment.

It is a nivida 6200, its not impressive, but I think its still considered fairly modern. The pc is a refurbished dell with a fairly fresh xp install. so its semi new.

the video card is actually pretty new, it has the drivers from the cd tht came with it. my direct x is up to date also.
Getting screenshots might be a possibility, but still a little complicated. Which program do you recommend? ive normally done all my screenshots via emulators.

but the screens are exactly as i described. normal characters. normal battle, but the backgrounds have incorrect colors. its almost like a negative.

d33eniz

• View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #1335 on: 2009-09-09 14:41:17 »
I am sure, you will do your best, it can take a while, sure- you don't have to do this at all ;) I- no, we can wait :)

Here they are:
Nvidia Patch 1.2
~>http://download.eidosweb.de/Final_Fantasy_VIII/Patch_12_GeForce/FF8EidosGerNVPatchV12.zip
NoN Nvidia Patch 1.2
~>http://download.eidosweb.de/Final_Fantasy_VIII/Patch_12_NOT_GeForce/FF8EidosGerV12.ZIP

Or witch executable do you mean exactly? The original 1.00 .exe or the 1.2 Version I linked?

Thanks again,

Deniz

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: 2009-09-09 16:22:30 »
if you mean buy a newer video card, thats a no go for now.   What I have is a dedicated gaming pc on a budget.  I need  dual core, more hd space, and a better video card.  Not to mention an LCD tv display, but i cant afford any of those at the moment.

It is a nivida 6200, its not impressive, but I think its still considered fairly modern. The pc is a refurbished dell with a fairly fresh xp install. so its semi new.

the video card is actually pretty new, it has the drivers from the cd tht came with it. my direct x is up to date also.
Getting screenshots might be a possibility, but still a little complicated. Which program do you recommend? ive normally done all my screenshots via emulators.

but the screens are exactly as i described. normal characters. normal battle, but the backgrounds have incorrect colors. its almost like a negative.

I forget whether the plain old printscreen method works if you run in windowed mode, but that's worth a shot.
I would go to the NVidia site and upgrade the graphics drivers. That card should be okay, but the fact that you're the only one getting color corruption and it persists through reinstalls means that something is wrong with your drivers. NVidia makes it into a fairly painless process, and hopefully once you reboot after the upgrade, everything will work.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: 2009-09-09 16:37:37 »
I don't really see playing it windowed as an option (i could just play it via ps1, emulated ps1 or regular pc version full screen)

I want the updated graphics (which by the way are impressive and make me envious)

I will try again by completely deleting all folder contents and starting with a 100% fresh reinstall and look for the driver updates online if they exist. But my card isnt old, i got it six months ago and installed the drivers that it came with, although I can understand if maybe the driver/card isn't quite up to par with what the custom driver is designed to do (though its very adequate for the original game) Its a little wimpy by the standards of new pc games, although I have Resident Evil 4 running on it.

I'll take your advice and try again soon.  It's a pain because its my other pc which isn't even internet ready.

Do you have a program to recommend that would work well for screenshots? I have cam studio, but ive only tinkered with it a little. I think its more of a video program, but can prob do both. I just got it in case i wanted to do videos of MUGEN.

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: 2009-09-09 16:43:37 »
I don't really see playing it windowed as an option (i could just play it via ps1, emulated ps1 or regular pc version full screen)
This would just be a temporary thing so you can take a screenshot. Everyone wants the fullscreen experience, so don't think you'll be denied it.

I will try again by completely deleting all folder contents and starting with a 100% fresh reinstall and look for the driver updates online if they exist. But my card isnt old, i got it six months ago and installed the drivers that it came with, although I can understand if maybe the driver/card isn't quite up to par with what the custom driver is designed to do (though its very adequate for the original game) Its a little wimpy by the standards of new pc games, although I have Resident Evil 4 running on it.
Another reinstall won't fix your problem. Your graphics card is not your problem. It should be powerful enough to handle this, and what you're seeing is not the result of the card being too slow.
Just download the latest drivers for your card from the NVidia website. The driver is the software that tells the card what to do, and in your case, the drivers are somehow feeding the card the wrong colors.
You don't need to reinstall FF7. You don't need to do anything but update the drivers. If that doesn't fix the issue, we can investigate it further.

As for the internet thing, you can go to another computer, download the installer (one file) from there, put it on a flash drive or CD, and then install it on your gaming computer. I've done it before.

Do you have a program to recommend that would work well for screenshots? I have cam studio, but ive only tinkered with it a little. I think its more of a video program, but can prob do both. I just got it in case i wanted to do videos of MUGEN.
I don't really have one that I actively use, and you might as well hold off on the screenshot until you get your drivers updated. Other readers here will hopefully have some recommendations though.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: 2009-09-09 16:52:45 »
not so much a bug report. But a feature request..

I have hybrid SLI (and soon to be normal SLI) and when i have hybrid enabled FF7 runs at half to a third speed, even though an 8300gs should beable to run it (assuming it's not using my 9800GT) i disabled the onboard graphics and it works like a charm. But my other games are slowed down so it's only a temp fix..

Is there a way you could set an option as to which GPU to use? or add SLI/Hybrid support?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: 2009-09-09 16:54:39 »
There's nothing to support. All that stuff is "magic" as far as OpenGL is concerned, there are no options for it, you can't control it, the driver handles everything behind the scenes.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: 2009-09-09 17:00:14 »
Ah, Guess i need to go yell at nVidia and get shot down..

Wait.. I think that doing that might draw unwanted attention from square..... Guess i just wait until i get normal SLI and pray it works

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: 2009-09-09 17:06:44 »
Ah, Guess i need to go yell at nVidia and get shot down..

Wait.. I think that doing that might draw unwanted attention from square..... Guess i just wait until i get normal SLI and pray it works
You might want to change how the driver handles the rendering in sli. There are 2 options, Alternate field rendering which renderers a different frame on each card and another one which i cant remember the name of that splits the screen and each render part of each frame. Might be worth a shot

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: 2009-09-09 17:20:08 »
aren't an option for that when using hybrid SLI... But when i get my other 9800gt i'll do that

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: 2009-09-09 19:42:16 »
Sucess!

I redid the registry thing.

Updated my drivers

added character model mods.

No background issues, new character models look good.

But while im here I have some related questions. Though I know its a little off topic from this thread, maybe someone can point in the right direction.

I swear i saw somewhere on Youtube where the start up sequence to the game used the version from the FF7 "remake" trailer from a couple of years ago. Am I imagining this? Or is this an actual mod?

Also, I have looked for the "FiceMusic v1.51" mod, but i only see a couple of references to it on google, couple of youtube vids and then the german ff7 site (Too bad I don't speak German). I see no download.

I see the "FinalFanTim's Remastered OST" and ill be trying that soon though.
As well as the keyboard patch.

And last i see there is no "offical release" for the advent children portrait mod, is there still somewhere I can find it? Or is that kind of taboo here because its technically importing content from another game?

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: 2009-09-09 20:03:02 »
I guess the youtube video I am refering to is this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbexquxkt6Y

That still looks better than mine. My videos look the same as they did before. kinda grainy, and you dont even get a 100% solid black on the the part with the stars in the start up vid.

Is the reunion patch what I want?

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: 2009-09-09 20:52:52 »
ok nevermind about the reunion patch.

Garland_Ilferet

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: 2009-09-09 22:04:10 »
omnivorism.. will you use edit instead of "triple-post"?

hey Aali! got question here... i'm using your ff7 opengl... but why it doesn't change anything? everything are looks the same

arew264

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: 2009-09-09 22:34:20 »
omnivorism.. will you use edit instead of "triple-post"?

hey Aali! got question here... i'm using your ff7 opengl... but why it doesn't change anything? everything are looks the same

The driver itself doesn't change anything, it just makes FF7 use OpenGL output instead of DirectX, and in doing so it makes FF7 work in a lot of places where it didn't, and it makes life easier when adding custom models and backgrounds.
Plus you can crank the game's resolution up to insane levels, run it in a window, and in general configure it in ways that were impossible before.

The simplest way to make sure the driver is loading correctly is to set fullscreen to false in your config and make sure the game starts in a window. You can also look in APP.LOG and make sure OpenGL is mentioned in the first 10 lines or so.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: 2009-09-10 00:07:19 »
Also, I have looked for the "FiceMusic v1.51" mod, but i only see a couple of references to it on google, couple of youtube vids and then the german ff7 site (Too bad I don't speak German). I see no download.
That's because the program is called FF7Music. This tutorial might help you.