Author Topic: [SOLVED] 7th Heaven 2.0 mods via [FF7 PC 1998] & Wine  (Read 4979 times)

Linux Potato

• View Profile
Hello & help if you can everyone I am currently troubleshooting 7th Heaven 2.0 via [FF7 PC 1998] on my Arch Linux distro kernel 5.5.13 & Wine Staging 5.5.

I have created both 32 and 64 bit prefixes for this mod alone each able to launch FF7 from [7H 2.0] yet both do this only when all IRO mods are disabled. Anytime I enable an IRO mod & click Play the launch hangs up with an error after the EasyHook check having replaced EasyHook32.dll with one I downloaded:
Code: [Select]
Copying EasyHook.dll to FF7 path (if not found or older version detected) ...
skipped copying EasyHook.dll ...
Unknown error when launching the game: Version string portion was too short or too long.

I am unsure if the final error is complaining about my new dll or if something else is a problem I have tried swapping between v1.0 & 1.2 exe files to no avail. I also wonder if I require a different EasyHook.dll file however I have been unable to find one having searched many DLL download sites. Attempting to run play mods with original dll gives the following error loop that flickers into fullscreen and back for about 3 minutes:
### Launching Final Fantasy VII ###
Checking FF7 is not running ...
Checking FF7 .exe exists at C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe ...
Verifying installed game is compatible ...
Verifying game is not installed in a System/Protected folder ...
Verifying game is full/max install ...
Creating missing required directories ...
Verifying additional files for 'battle' & 'kernel' folders exist ...
Verifying all movie files exist ...
could not find all movie files at C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies
attempting to copy movie files ...
Verifying music files exist ...
could not find all music files at C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\music\vgmstream
attempting to copy music files ...
.OGG music files are missing!
In order to hear high quality background music, you will need to download and activate a music mod.

Alternatively, you can listen to the game's original low quality MIDI music, but you will need to select 'Original MIDI' for your 'Music Option' which can be found under Settings>Game Driver... > Advanced tab.

Later, if you wish to use high quality .OGG files, switch the setting back to 'VGMstream'.
Verifying latest game driver is installed ...
7H_GameDriver.dll file is up to date.
Verifying game driver shaders folders exist ...
Verifying ff7 exe ...
Checking a profile is active ...
Checking mod compatibility requirements ...
Checking mod constraints for compatibility ...
Checking mod load order requirements ...
Looking for game disc ...
Found game disc at J:\ ...
Applying changed values to registry ...
Applying compatibility flags in registry (if any) ...
Code 5 fix / High DPI fix set to false - deleting flags if exist ...
Creating Runtime Profile ...
adding paths to monitor ...
Copying EasyHook.dll to FF7 path (if not found or older version detected) ...
skipped copying EasyHook.dll ...
skipped copying EasyHook32.dll ...
Copying ff7input.cfg to FF7 path ...
using control configuration file 1998 KB+Std Gamepad.cfg ...
copying C:\7th Heaven\Resources\Controls\1998 KB+Std Gamepad.cfg to C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg ...
Checking if Reunion mod is installed ...
found: False
Launching additional programs to run (if any) ...
Writing temporary runtime profile file to C:\users\vip\Temp\tmpe580.tmp ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 1 (of 7) ...
reached timeout waiting for injection ...
received errors: STATUS_NO_MEMORY: Unable to allocate memory in target process. (Code: 5); Process with an Id of 66 is not running. ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 2 (of 7) ...
received errors: STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR: Unable to wait for injection completion due to timeout.  (Code: 0);  ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 3 (of 7) ...
received errors: STATUS_NO_MEMORY: Unable to allocate memory in target process. (Code: 5); Process with an Id of 40 is not running. ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 4 (of 7) ...
received errors: STATUS_INTERNAL_ERROR: Unable to wait for injection completion due to timeout.  (Code: 0);  ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 5 (of 7) ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 6 (of 7) ...
received errors: STATUS_NO_MEMORY: Unable to allocate memory in target process. (Code: 5); Process with an Id of 109 is not running. ...
Attempting to inject with EasyHook: try # 7 (of 7) ...
Failed to inject after max amount of tries (7) ...
Setting compatibility fix and trying again ...
Applying compatibility flags in registry (if any) ...
Code 5 fix set to true - applying 640x480 compatibility flag in registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers::C:\Games\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe = ~ 640x480
Getting FF7 proc ...
Exception occurred while trying to start FF7 ...
Failed to launch FF7. View the above log for details.

Again, the game will launch using [7H 2.0] launcher with mods disabled but here we want mods! Soon will test plain Wine without staging it might make a difference. I am aware of other mod instructions here to properly mod [FF7 PC 98] via Wine without 7H I just really like the direction 7H goes using IRO files to toggle mods on and off. I have also seen the success shared recently about running [7H 2.0] with Steam FF7 and that is great to see, gives me a little hope with my setup though I have deleted my Steam account and have no plan to create another one.

Share any constructive thoughts please also here my winetricks log of settings I have enabled:
sound=pulse
d3dx9
amstream
qasf
qcap
qdvd
qedit
quartz
directshow
dsound
dswave
glidewrapper
vcrun2008
w_workaround_wine_bug-37781
vcrun2015
mfc42
w_workaround_wine_bug-34803
remove_mono
remove_mono
winxp
dotnet40
dotnet452
devenum
dmband
dmcompos
dmime
dmloader
dmscript
dmstyle
dmsynth
dmusic
dmusic32
directmusic
directplay
directshow
ffdshow
directmusic
« Last Edit: 2020-04-10 02:03:15 by Linux Potato »

epsilon

• View Profile
Re: 7th Heaven 2.0 mods via [FF7 PC 1998] & Wine
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-09 22:44:27 »
If you check the forums there is a post specifically getting 7th heaven to work with wine -- that is the good news. Summary: make a 64bit prefix, install dotnet452 with winetricks and set windows version to 7. The bad news is that I am seeing the same thing: it worked with wine 5.4 it does not work anymore, so this seems to be a regression in wine. I have no solution atm.

note(s):
- I use wine-staging but I do not think that matters.
- Reunion still works, but then you loose the better mod availability.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-09 22:47:51 by epsilon »

Linux Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-09 23:45:27 »
hey thank you for that information I still have version 5.4 in the pacman repository cache I will give that a go and if you would also like the 5.4 tarball can find somewhere to upload is only 56.8 megs

Linux Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-10 02:01:46 »
Many thanks Epislon, reverting to Wine staging 5.4 fixed me up I can now run the game with mods active through [7H 2.0] I am marking this thread as resolved!!  8-)

IntoDaNaight

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] 7th Heaven 2.0 mods via [FF7 PC 1998] & Wine
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-12 14:55:39 »
Hi there.

I did replicate everything stated in the post for making 7th heaven work in Wine and in the end, I could make it run without mods. As soon as I try to make it work with mods I do encounter the same problem as OP, in which the launcher tries to inject the exe and runs out of memory.
Reverting wine 5.5 (staging) to 5.4 did not work for me, and I ran out of ideas.

Anyone, please? I really want to give it a try on my Manjaro instead of having to grub to windows (which I truly despise).

Regards and thanks for all your work.

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-13 19:02:39 »
Anyone, please? I really want to give it a try on my Manjaro instead of having to grub to windows (which I truly despise).

Make sure to follow all the instructions in the post where the details for installing 7H are -- not this post, it is somewhere in the forums, although my summary here in this thread is pretty accurate. Besides that, there is not much that I can say to help you besides this: even with mods it sometimes took wine <= 5.4 and 7H a couple of tries to load FF7. Try to start small, with just one mod, a small one in terms of memory footprint, and then go from there. Otherwise the only thing we linux users can do is wait for improvements in the graphics driver (as there are problems in Windows as well) and that wine fixes things -- it is well known that .NET has always been very iffy on linux. I have no idea what the problem is exactly or even how to go about diagnosing it and at this point do not have much time to look into this.

IntoDaNaight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-14 03:08:04 »
First of all, thanks a bunch for spending time replying to this post.

I did follow every single step from the thread  "Getting 7th Heaven to Work on Wine" and in the end, I did manage to open 7th Heaven in my Manjaro distro.
From there, I could run ff7 with no issues as long as I didn't load any mod at all. I only downloaded the mods provided by qhimm and first of all, tried to load them all at once (which got me that injection error EasyHook.dll)
received errors: STATUS_NO_MEMORY: Unable to allocate memory in target process. (Code: 5);
Then, I did try as well to load the mods one by one (and as long as I had only 1 active, I did get the same error again).
Got to this thread, and reverted to Wine 5.4 which I still had on cache, since I did try all the above on Wine 5.5 Staging, but had no luck and when trying to execute ff7 would get the same EasyHook.dll unable to allocate memory.

I'm kinda desperate, because my goal is to end up erasing my Windows partition and be able to execute all apps and games from my Manjaro (which I fell in love with over the past 3 months).
I'm kinda new to linux and I don't know where to start in order to be able to know how to proceed.

Any help would be inmensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any tip that may come by!

Linux Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-04-14 08:43:23 »
Best advice if you have searched & scouted your problem well is create a troubleshoot topic for it detailing as much information as possible like above - not to send you away just effective advice.  While this is fresh in my head though make sure to try 64bit wine prefix, set windows version to 7 I used winecfg and set that for entire prefix, use my winetricks log as reference for yours even though it may be bloat, avoid using vulcan / vk - make sure you select the d3dx9 that is not depreciated, and a proper alias selecting the desired wineprefix for running 7th Heaven is how I do it:

alias 7th="WINEPREFIX=~/.ff7 wine /home/vip/.ff7/drive_c/7th\ Heaven/7th\ Heaven.exe"
Honestly yet to see if I am modding effectively with my setup just know finally got the game loaded with [7H 2.0] mods active. Sometimes the screen will flicker once when loading but has been certain to load up on the 2nd full screen flash.

Oh just figured out I also still have memory problems if I attempt windowed mode it must be run in full screen or game will not run w/ mods. Not a problem to me fullscreen is preferred but be sure to check your settings out under Settings > Game Driver > Graphics > Window Mode.