Author Topic: Anywhere to get a cheap/free iPod?  (Read 6138 times)

Idec Sdawkminn

• -im the real idec (REALLY)-
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Anywhere to get a cheap/free iPod?
« on: 2006-07-04 19:45:57 »
Hey, I recently bought a new car stereo because my old one broke itself. The glue came off the backing and when it would fold out, it got caught and pulled wires and stuff loose inside. Anyway, the new one I got is the Panasonic CQ-C9901U. It can play MP3's and hook to an iPod. This is a very good thing because I have 549 CD's and that would be hard to have in my car. I can put those onto around 60-70 CD's in MP3 format. However, that is 43.5GB, so if I just got an iPod that can hold that, I'd be all set. The problem is that I don't want to pay much for an iPod like that. I think I need to get the 60GB one.

Does anyone know of anything?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Re: Anywhere to get a cheap/free iPod?
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-04 20:14:46 »
The most trustworthy place would probably be here.

Never trust those popups!
« Last Edit: 2006-07-04 20:22:34 by MagiMaster »

Idec Sdawkminn

• View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-04 20:59:12 »
Those popup things suck. I've actually gone through a few of them all the way and done everything before and it just takes me to some unrelated site that is a dead end. I guess eBay is the way to go. Thanks for responding, though.

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-04 21:28:21 »
Hmm, yeah ebay would be your best bet, but please dont get an ipod. I hate them, they suck, they have a crap equaliser and they dont support ogg files. If you want a good mp3 player I would suggest an iriver or an iaudio.

Or if you wanna buy them new these are two good sites

www.teamdigital.net
www.pixmania.com

Idec Sdawkminn

• View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-04 21:57:17 »
It doesn't have to be an iPod. It can be even just a hard drive. I only picked iPod because they seemed to be the cheapest. I just want some way to STORE at least 43.5GB.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-04 23:46:04 »
It doesn't have to be an iPod. It can be even just a hard drive. I only picked iPod because they seemed to be the cheapest. I just want some way to STORE at least 43.5GB.

Well if that's the case, then an iPod is actually the most expensive route possible. A ($350) 60 GB iPod is roughly $5.83 per gigabyte, while something like this is only $1.67 per gigabyte, and better still, this is only $1.16 per gigabyte.
« Last Edit: 2006-07-04 23:56:04 by RPGillespie »

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-04 23:55:02 »
Quote from: Idec Sdawkminn
This is a very good thing because I have 549 CD's and that would be hard to have in my car.
Wait a second...

549 CD's, hm?
Let's assume that every CD has 74 minutes of music on it, so...:

549 * 74 = 40626 minutes = approx. 677 hours...

So, how much time do you want to spend in your car:-P

- Alhexx

Idec Sdawkminn

• View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-05 00:40:11 »
Well, some of them are shorter than others. It ends up being 2 weeks, 5 days, 19 hours, and 54 minutes of continuous play, which is 475 hours and 54 minutes. That's still a lot, I agree. However, I currently have 2 CD cases full in my car. One holds 96 CD's and one hold 64. I have gone through them several times already. Plus, whenever I got a new CD I'd have to pick the one I liked least out of the ones in there and replace it because they had to be my top 160 favorite ones.

I had them all in alphabetical order by artist, and chronological order by album if they were by the same artist. I listened to them in that order as well, no exceptions. When I would get a new one and would replace it, I would have to move all the ones alphabetically ahead of it one space forward. It got to be quite a hassle, but I refuse to have them any other way. Plus, there were a lot of my CD's that weren't in the top 160 that I still really wanted to listen to. If I had my whole list, I wouldn't have to pick 160 favorites out of 549. My only choice was to get more CD cases.

Before I did that, my stereo broke. My new one has the ability to play MP3's on CD's or from an external device. I could burn them on CD's and only use up one of the cases for my whole list. I had decided on that when I realized that as soon as I got a new CD, I would have to burn it onto those and then I'd have to REBURN all the ones after it. That's even worse. Something that could store MP3's and be re-written unlimited times was my only choice, so that's the way I'm going.

RPGillespie, thank you very much. I'll definitely have a look at those.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-05 01:32:24 »
Just my two cents.

I really have to discourage buying any portable Harddisk music player through Ebay or alike sites. You just never know what you're gonna get. It might seem to work in the beginning, but the battery may suck, or part of the disk is broken or there are lines in the screen. Just don't buy things like these through Ebay. Buy them new, otherwise there's a really big chance you might be very disappointed after some time. Only other option is to buy through companies that fix broken ones and re-sell them.

Also, like said before, Ipod is great (I own one) but not the very best you can get. When I bought mine it was, nowadays there are better ones, such as the IAudio for example. No, it's not enough space, just as an example. So, think carefully about what you want to buy.

As far as those pop-up things go, Covarr was right in naming it, since it is supposed to be the fastest way to get a free Ipod. Again like said before these things never ever work.

Idec Sdawkminn

• View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-05 04:58:56 »
I agree with you. I wouldn't buy something used off of eBay. I've already learned my lesson with that on my T.V. If I did buy from there I'd buy it new. I'll try out the thing Covarr posted and also the links that RPGillespie posted.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-05 06:29:01 »
For the record, I knew darn well that the "Free iPod" stuff is crap. That was mostly a joke post, the first thing I found on a Google search for "free ipods". :D

Idec Sdawkminn

• View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-05 06:31:00 »
Ah, well I'm thinking about getting the USB hard drive. However, my stereo doesn't have a USB port so I'm trying to find some kind of USB to RCA adapter and so far they look pretty spendy.