Author Topic: FFVII: Black screen, but there's sound and input  (Read 4760 times)

Bosque

• View Profile
FFVII: Black screen, but there's sound and input
« on: 2013-11-01 21:13:41 »
Right. So I got this old PC back, where i've previously ran FFVII without issues. After doing a clean Windows 7 install, it no longer works. Installed Aali's Driver, DLPB's MO and Movie Restoration patch, Covarr's FF7music package, Omzy's Field Pack and EQ2Alyza's Battle Pack. All i get is a black screen, but I can hear the movies playing, the prelude credits, and me moving the cursor around. The problem persists after I reinstalled it to an entirely vanilla+Aali's driver setup, and after changing my graphics drivers.  Other games work fine in this machine and FFVII itself used to work... I can't figure out what's wrong.

App.log: http://pastebin.com/L9KMrc9N

Config: http://pastebin.com/j6c1FSRs

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: FFVII: Black screen, but there's sound and input
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-01 22:44:41 »
It's not reading your graphics card.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-01 22:50:20 »
It's not reading your graphics card.

My graphics card _is_ that integrated Intel 965, if that's what you're implying. I'm stressing that contrary to what was reported in this forum before, it does work. And judging from that app.log, it's being detected.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-01 23:04:03 »
You will have one heck of a time playing the entire game through stable on Integrated Graphics. If you had it launching before, then it's more than likely the driver update you applied.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-01 23:30:48 »
You will have one heck of a time playing the entire game through stable on Integrated Graphics. If you had it launching before, then it's more than likely the driver update you applied.

I actually did play through the entire game on Integrated Graphics and it was entirely stable. The 965/X3100 can handle the game easily enough. I actually switched to some modded drivers but the problem still persists leading me more to believe it's an issue with Windows, or less likely, an issue with Aalis' driver. I'm going to try downgrading Aali's driver just to see if anything happens

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-01 23:57:08 »
I trust that you've done it before, but there is a 99.99% chance it is a result of your integrated graphics.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-02 20:05:39 »
Well, it seems like the x64 drivers are broken in some way. I installed some other modded drivers for x64 and they now work. I am kinda curious if the FFVII re-release graphics driver has the same issue, anyway, the easiest way to get it to work is to stick with x86.