Author Topic: [WIP] Final Fantasy VII Spanish Translation FIX  (Read 11676 times)

Naitguolf

• View Profile
[WIP] Final Fantasy VII Spanish Translation FIX
« on: 2010-07-20 15:54:59 »
Well, after using Loveless, seems that one thing i wanted to do long time ago, its possible. Fix the HORRENDOUS Spanish from English translation (PC version)

But i will not re-translate the game, but fix and change what needs to be changed. For example, Tifa and Jessie always speaks to herself like a male, some things are totally different from original (or very bizarre), and a lot A LOT of typos.

So, I'm working on this. I'm just starting but, I've done it until the beginning of second bomb mission.

I'm not asking helping to make this, but, is there a list with weird things about Japanese / English translation differences final fantasy VII? The ones that changed history, events, personality from characters, etc.

This also expands for anyone Spanish who played the game. An example i want to do to find (and fix!)

In Spanish version, when Cloud arrives to 7h Heaven first time, Tifa tells Cloud he always fight Barret since childhood. And that's not correct. The English version said Barret always bitched people around him, and Cloud always was fighting with no cause when he was younger. The difference is HUGE.

Another thing:

English version, the characters speaks using some accent (for example Barret). Spanish translation is just plain. So (and here i need someone Spanish) how could reflect that in Spanish?

Well. If there is enough interest, i could upload the first and second bomb mission fixed translation.

Regards.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Final Fantasy VII Spanish Translation FIX
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-21 12:05:33 »
Barrett was portrayed as a stereotypical black man in the English version and it was overdone to the point of Mr T.  Japanese version he doesn't swear all the time or act like a mo' fo.

Cait Sith speaks with a different dialect, this is most typically Scottish in the English although the original did not give him any accent at all and thus when Scarlet says "reeve you talk funny" it makes absolutely no sense to the English audience, because Reeve was meant to have accidentally used Cait Sith's accent.

Those are the biggest 2 and the ones which were changed the most from the Japanese.  The English translation was also poorly done, and since the Spanish used the English, you got a double whammy.

« Last Edit: 2010-07-21 12:08:06 by seif »

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-21 12:47:33 »
mmm... so Barret is different.

Ok, so in that part in Train (just before Bomb Mission Sector 5)

Barret: (thought it was his folks) You say sumthin'? I said, 'you say
sumthin'!? Yo, look at that!! It got empty alluva sudden.

Shinra Manager: What's goin' on? DAMN! I…it's empty because of…g, guys like you…

This dont mean sense to me. In spanish script, seems that Barret is talking with Shinra Manager, but English one seems to his folks.

But makes more sense to Shunra Manager i think. Well, what do you think?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-21 13:18:35 »
he is talkin' to the Shin-Ra Manager, saying "You say somethin'" because the manager was whinging about Barrett and the party.  Barrett then says "It got empty all a sudden" because everyone who was there got scared and left that carriage.  The manager says after "It got empty cause of guys like you"

The translation could have been done better.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-21 14:55:31 by seif »

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-21 17:55:47 »
Thanks for the aclaration. I wil use that info in order to fix the translation.

Update: First preliminar version.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVRRL7CP

First contact. Just to see how it goes. Just replace flevel.lgp at \data\field in Final Fantasy VII directory. If you have spanish version and not Remix version, you should rename flevel.lgp into sflevel.lgp.

This goes up Aeris Church.

Make sure to make backups from your files.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 08:35:05 by Naitguolf »

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-27 17:50:26 »
Mmm... anyone tried it?

Hewell

« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-14 19:33:55 »
Hi! I trie today the translate but it have to many problems with "tildes", any idea?

Hola, lo he probado hoy y posee un gran problema con las tildes ya que no muestra esos caracteres, alguna idea?

Naitguolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-10 18:55:10 »
Hi. Im trying to re-continue this. But i have some issues with touphScript (i cannot extract the text) If so, i will continue using Loveless. About the tildes, i really dont know, in my version, i can see that character. I think that something else needs to be done, than only replacing flevel.lgp if you have english version. Afterall, this should be apply to an spanish install...